Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
parluggla
Council Member
Send Message
Post Tolkien in 2020 . . . and whither then I cannot say
on: August 29, 2020 12:05
I live in a place surrounded by northern forests. I have places that remind of Lothlorien. And when I'm out there I can't help but be called by the legendspace Tolkien created. And what better place to be in these times than Middle Earth? Reconnect, people, with Middle Earth! Even if you're not near Lothlorien.
ArwenLegolas
Realm Leader of Manwë Súlimo & CoE Volunteer
Send Message
bad knee keeps me from climbing around the woods we have here in San Antonio
Tiro nin Elbereth
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
The Northern forests of old were a dangerous place, and still are if you get lost. Not so many wolves or bears these days. They feature in the old tales as ominous and threatening, as in Hansel and Gretel. Tolkien picks up on this with Mirkwood in The Hobbit and then later with the Old Forest and Fanghorn. No wolves or bears though. The delightful woodlands of Lothlórien are more akin to the later managed woodland, more open and bright with open glades and flowering plants. I would recommend 'Gossip From The Forest' by Sara Maitland, an exploration of the old tales which have their origins in the forest.
ArwenLegolas
Realm Leader of Manwë Súlimo & CoE Volunteer
Send Message
I would love to find the book, tarcolan, as long as it is nota horror based novel.

[Edited on 10/18/2020 by ArwenLegolas]
Tiro nin Elbereth
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email