Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Post Galadriel
on: October 16, 2022 11:20
I guess I'm surprised that in twenty years, no thread has been started here for Galadriel!

As much as I like Cate Blanchett, I always felt her portrayal of Galadriel didn't 'fit' my head-canon that I had created from my many readings of the books. She is a wonderful actor, and she did justice to the part of Galadriel, and over time... namely her better portrayal of Galadriel in the Hobbit movies, I grew to accept her in the role.

But I have to say that Morffyd Clark is owning the role in The Rings of Power. I love her 'look' (except when she is smiling while riding a horse), and the early ninja-Orli-Galadriel vs the ice troll (her squad of elves were pathetic in that fight), I feel Galadriel in her. Younger, somewhat blunt, and very impulsive (jumping ship to Valinor? Not wise). Her portrayal is better and better each episode, and her in the green dress in Ost-in-Edhil when the three rings are being designed really does it for me. Though I was reluctant when I initially heard of the casting, Morffyd was a good choice for the role.

Now... if only we can improve the writing some...
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
Elfeawen Lomiondil
Council Member
Send Message
Regarding Galadriel in ROP, her role was kind of jarring but I just figured they were going for a long character arc. Done well, it could be very satisfying when she starts to become the person we know from LOTR. Hanasian, I’m curious if you have a better opinion of the writing or not in regards to Galadriel after seeing the final episode. For me, it was what I was looking for.
"There shall be war between the Children of Iluvatar and the Ainu Melko. What if we perish in our quest? The dark halls of Vê be little worse than this bright prison" ~ Fëanor
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Elfeawen Lomiondil said:Hanasian, I’m curious if you have a better opinion of the writing or not in regards to Galadriel after seeing the final episode. For me, it was what I was looking for.

I think Galadriel was 'growing' throughout the eight episodes starting from the scene with the swan ship as a child. I think they will be going for the long game and by the end of the 5th season she will be much more like the Galadriel that we know from the books.

I am hoping the writing for this series improves and that they get away from all tagging into Peter Jackson's movies. Some hat-tips are cool, but don't overdo it guys!
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
Elfeawen Lomiondil
Council Member
Send Message
Regarding the actress Clark herself, I do think she looks elfin. (I used that word purposely instead of elven for whatever reason.) I don’t think any of the issues I have with the portrayal of her character are from her skill as an actor either.

Regarding Cate Blanchett, her portrayal of Galadriel was important for me to understand the character. While I loved most of the characters in the books (including Elrond and a few of the Elves) I didn’t quite “get” what was so special about them. I’m embarrassed to admit this now. Seeing Galadriel in the movies made me take another look at her in the book and say, yes, I see this was in here this whole time! I’m sure this was my deficiency and not the books’, but I’m grateful to the movies for helping me understand how the other characters saw Galadriel. I also admire how the filmmakers used every technique they could think of to make Galadriel seem other/more than human, like having little lights reflected in her eyes. I hope the makers of ROP take note, because so far I have not been impressed with their depiction of Elves.
"There shall be war between the Children of Iluvatar and the Ainu Melko. What if we perish in our quest? The dark halls of Vê be little worse than this bright prison" ~ Fëanor
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email