Author Topic:
Alasse Estel
Council Member
Send Message
https://ew.com/movies/warner-bros-announces-new-lord-of-the-rings-movies/
Alasse Estel
Council Member
Send Message
I can't believe nobody is talking about this!
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
I know, activity is pretty sparse. As for this bit of news, I myself am interested in what they come up with. I mean, the bar is pretty low in the shadow of Rings of Power, but part of that I blame on the 'deal' Amazon made with the Tolkien Estate.

As these rights Warner Brothers have are from an agreement with the new owner of the Saul Zaentz rights (which are the ones Tolkien sold to United Artists in 1969 and has led to all the games and movies over the years), I would like to believe that many many stories could be mined out of the appendices. I know the War of the Rohirrim is coming in April 2024, which is a prime example of what can be found to base a movie on. I have to say I'm excited to see what they come up with, and hope they do a decent job producing it.
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
Elfeawen Lomiondil
Council Member
Send Message
I just can’t believe there could be new movies about Middle Earth- I don’t mean that it won’t happen, or that it shouldn’t. In the filmmaking climate of today it actually seems extremely likely. Just my brain having trouble processing this.

That said, it could be fun to see some of the stories in the appendices get dramatized. Any such movies will only be as good as the writers and director. Are there any stories you are hoping will get filmed?
"There shall be war between the Children of Iluvatar and the Ainu Melko. What if we perish in our quest? The dark halls of Vê be little worse than this bright prison" ~ Fëanor
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Post Stories from the Appendices
on: June 10, 2023 02:53
Elfeawen Lomiondil said:Are there any stories you are hoping will get filmed?

There are a few scenarios in Appendix A where the summary could be dramatized in detail (provided as you say, a good writer and director handled it well). I'd like to see these:

• Kin Strife of Gondor
• The Fragmentation of Arnor
• The Fall of Fornost and Arthedain

Would like to see a multi-episode mini-series format as there would be a lot to present with all of these scenarios. The Fall of Fornost in TA 1974 and the counterattack by the remnants of Arthedain, Gondor, and elves of Lindon would be rather straightforward. The other two would have a lot of political build-up before the titled event occurred.

Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
Elfeawen Lomiondil
Council Member
Send Message
I’d love to see Angmar! I call it the last Last Alliance because we have Elves and Men and even archers from the Shire (!!) working together. It’s so epic. Tons of potential without unnecessary contrivances to bring Hobbits and Elves into the story, and ready made villains.
"There shall be war between the Children of Iluvatar and the Ainu Melko. What if we perish in our quest? The dark halls of Vê be little worse than this bright prison" ~ Fëanor
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Post Possible New Movie Storylines
on: August 01, 2023 04:47
Hmm.... Last Alliance already has been coined for the great battle at the end of the 2nd Age. It would be nice to see the battles that led to the destruction of Amon Sûl

Another interesting scenario would be the 2nd Age battle in Eregion and the sacking of Ost-in-Edhil and the slaying of Celebrimbor. Trouble is the Amazon series may get into that at some point.
Elfeawen Lomiondil
Council Member
Send Message
That’s why I call it the last “Last Alliance” because the official Last Alliance already happened and yet this battle has some of the hallmarks (on a smaller scale, I suppose). Plus Hobbits!

I doubt any movies will want to cover Second Age events any time soon due to the Amazon series, but let’s never say never. I would like to see a different take on that time period someday, which would be easy to do differently since the source material leaves lots of room for interpretation, plus ROP doesn’t really follow the sequence of events so if a movie wanted to stick to the timeline better it would immediately look different.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
So... there's buzz going on at Warner Brothers about making a new LotR movie...
Elfeawen Lomiondil
Council Member
Send Message
As in, an actual remake of the trilogy? No thanks. I’d rather if they animated the parts of the book that were left out of the Peter Jackson version. It would be a rather eccentric project. I would use the same designs as the movies in the art so you could watch them together.

I’d like to see the Old Forest, Barrow Wights, and Beregond and Bergil. But “they” will never do it!
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email