Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
Post RE: Book Club Questions/Comments/Concerns?
on: May 04, 2004 10:27
Hi Whitney, that's exactly what you do: just start reading! You can start from the beginning and bring the old topics back on top, or you can join us where we are now if you like (we're reading Book 4 now).

If you got any other questions, just pm me! And welcome!
ladyelessarwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 28, 2004 10:11
Hi Figwit, I have been rereading ROTK since seeing the film last winter. I'm happy to see that I will have the pleasure of discussing the book with CoE folks. I assume you will post the discussion date on the home page with plenty of lead time? Many thanks, ladyelessarwen
LadyEowyn_Of_Rohan
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 12, 2004 03:17
Okay, two suggestions
1. We have visual aids, how about auditory aids? If anyone knows the link to a song from the soundtrack, one of the songs from the earlier LotR music-things, or just a song that reflects a scene from the book very well, we could use that.
2. Screencaps/pictures from the movie could sometimes work with the "Assignments Illustrated", as long as they don't contrast with the book at all, could we use those?

Ladyelessarwen: I'm not quite sure what your question is, but we're reading RotK now, and you can join in now (going back to where you are) or when we get up to where you are in the book.
Figwit
Send Message
on: June 13, 2004 09:09
Those are good ideas LadyEowyn, especially the audio one. I'm inclined to keep the movies out of this, because it's hard enough as it is to read the books and not think about the movie But if you know where to find audio fragments, songs, maybe parts of the book being read (there was an excellent BBC radio play, but I've never looked for it)... we could create an extra topic for those, or I could edit them into the Assignments. What do you think?
LadyEowyn_Of_Rohan
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 01, 2004 02:59
I did some searching online for the BBC radio play, but couldn't find more than a few very short clips. Using a lot of it (I'm not sure how much) would be illegal without permission from the BBC, anyway. I also found Tolkien reading "Ai! laurië lantar lassi súrinen," I'll edit this when I find the link again :blush:, and I'll see what else I can find.
Figwit
Send Message
on: August 02, 2004 10:34
Well, even if it's just short pieces, if you think it may be worth linking to them we could try that. I'm leaving this in your capable hands Just let me know when you've collected some links, and we'll see what we can do with them.
LadyEowyn_Of_Rohan
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 02, 2004 01:00
The last time someone trusted something in my "capable" hands, I spilled microwave oatmeal and got second-degree burns on my foot which I still have scars from. But I don't think I can do too much damage online, so I'll pm you with some links soon.
LadyEowyn_Of_Rohan
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 27, 2004 02:18
Just wondering, why are we reading The Silmarillion next? Personally, I'm thrilled... *gathers sheets and sheets of "I:heart:Fëanor" stickers... but I was expecting to read The Hobbit next. Also, will the Book Club be reading the Appendices? (They're important, but I don't know how many questions you can get from them.)
Figwit
Send Message
on: August 27, 2004 11:30
Hey love. First of all, about the soundfiles: I'm still working on that but Books vs. Movies is sort of on top of my list for the moment .

Then, we'll read the Sil because
a) there was an attempt to read the Hobbit a few years ago, but it's very very difficult to come up with good 'Hobbit'-only questions. So my idea was to struggle through the Sil first and then read the Hobbit comparing it to both LOTR and the Sil as part of the discussion.

b) When the BC started, the majority of people wanted to read the Sil. Trig decided to read LOTR first, and I think that was a very wise decision, but now that we have the hang of the whole BC thing I think we can move on to something bigger .

As for the Appendixes, I inculded the Tale of Araragorn and Arwen with next weeks chapter discussion (The Steward and the King). I read through the others, but they are very difficult to work into the discussion, and read seperately I don't think it'll work very well... It's very difficult to come up with good questions about them. However, I think I might use the Appendixes to explain bits of the Sil once we start on that one, so they're not going to be completely left out.
Ereinion_Gilgalad
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 10, 2004 11:03
The Silmarillion is my favorite book, and once I heard there was a book club that just happened to be reading and discussing it soon, I wanted to join. But, I am confused and feel odd with just joining as the rules describe... is that how it works? 0-o Also, I'm not a very smart person and having just joined, I would have no idea how the book club works, either. Is that a problem? I also recently have had a lot of homework and depending on that, I might not be on much... is that a problem, too? Besides that, I probably don't know half as much about the Lord of the Rings as the rest of you do... *crawls in a hole* and I probably forgot a lot of it, anyway? So... can I have a bit of information about how it works, or should I look around and do it myself? :dizzy:
LadyEowyn_Of_Rohan
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: September 10, 2004 12:33
Welcome to the book club! :hug: It's not really like a club or a party that you're crashing, the book club just reads a chapter a week, and two new threads come up every week: one discussing the reading, with questions to think about and answer, and one with a quote from the chapter. (Occasionally, two chapters.) Don't be shy about putting in your thoughts; it doesn't matter if you don't know as much about LotR as anyone else - we'd love to hear your thoughts! So just post in the threads as if they were threads in any other section of the site, just don't give spoilers for anything ahead of where the book club is.
I also recently have had a lot of homework and depending on that, I might not be on much... is that a problem, too?
Nah, it doesn't matter if you post once or in every thread.

Sounds good, Figwit... take your time with the sound clips; I don't think anyone's going to die without them.
Are Túrin Turambar and Beren and Lúthien going to be broken up, since they're long, or at least Túrin?
Figwit
Send Message
on: September 10, 2004 11:26
I don't know yet LadyEowyn. Since I'm currently graduated :disco: but sadly unemployed, I've got a lot of free time on my hands - so I'm going to take next week to read through the book and see how we're going to break it up in readable bits .

Ereinion_Gilgalad, don't worry! We're still wrapping up Lord of the Rings, so you'll have plenty of time to look around and see how things go. LadyEowyn explained quite well how things go around here: there are no rules or deadlines or anything, you just jump in when you want, and you skip chapters if they don't interest you.
Especially for people like myself, who don't really understand the Sil so very well, we'll have three threads to discuss the Sil: there'll be a thread with quotes, I will do an easy thread with questions that should help us to understand the chapter itself and how it fits into the story, and atalante_star will come up with some difficult questions about the bigger mythology and Tolkien's sources, and stuff. You're free to post in whatever thread you want, so there's no need to feel ashamed if you're not a Tolkien expert - neither am I, and I run this place .

If you have any other problems or questions, don't hesitate to ask. You can always pm me!
Hunts_The_Sun
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 01, 2005 06:21
i have read The Sil and its my favorite book by Tolkien. If they made a movie of it, that'd be something to see. but i dont think it'd flow right, cuz you know how the sil is written. its not like lotr.
_lord_of_the_binkies_
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 19, 2005 01:47
I was just thinking, what ever happened to Tom Bombadil?
Dreamdeer
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 13, 2007 05:19
Hello. I am lost. I noticed on the Home Page that folks are rereading the hobbit and happen to be right in the vicinity of my own rereading at this point, so I thought I'd hop in. But I can't find where that reading is going on! Can you direct me where to go?
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: March 13, 2007 06:42
It's going on in the Book Club main forum; all threads there at the moment are about The Hobbit. (You posted this on the archive for past discussions.) Just look a bit lower on the page.
Dreamdeer
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 13, 2007 07:28
Thank you so very much!
RenFaire
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 29, 2010 04:45
I noticed that most of the book discussion topics are more geared toward adults, and I was thinking that there could be a discussion of the books for a certain age group (e. g. ages 12-16), because some of the questions are too in depth for me, and I am sure that is the case for some other people.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email