Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
Post The assignments illustrated- FotR book 1
on: April 29, 2003 09:53
Each week i intend to bring you maps and illustrations relevant to the chapter(s) the book club is working on.

There are a great many middle earth artists and a huge number of LotR art pictures, i will only be showing you some of them, both by the well known artists and the lesser known ones... but if you want to see more of the art from Lord of the Rings check out our illustrations gallery

enjoy!

[Edited on 4/8/2003 by k]
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
Post RE: The assignments illustrated- FotR book 1
on: April 29, 2003 10:02
assignment one- a long expected party

part of the shire

this is the map of part of the shire taken from the harper collins one volume edition of Lord of the Rings.

Party Buisness

a work by John Howe. this is Gandalf arriving at bag end on party buisness.

A long expected party

a work by Inger Edelfeldt Showing Bilbo about to give his speech

[Edited on 28/8/2004 by k]
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: May 06, 2003 06:22
assignment two- shadow of the past

Frodo and Gandalf dicuss the ring

art by Alan lee

frodo and the ring

art by the incredible John Howe. it doesnt fit an exact part of the book here but i thought it suited this chapter well

deagol and smeagol

the finding of the one ring by Ted Nasmith

Elenisil
Wielder of Lijworld
Send Message
on: May 07, 2003 02:30
oh my.... :drool:
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: May 14, 2003 04:57
assignement three- three is company

leaving the shire

both of these are by Ted Nasmith- because im a geek ive actually been worrying for weeks which one of these two to put in for this chapter... in the end i gave up and decided that i would put both in.

this first one is called "night in the shire" remember how sam was described as putting on a rather shapeless hat which looked like a dwarf's hood... take a look on the head of the hobbit on the left. i adore this pic

the second picture here is them walking in the day. im not sure exactely what point in the book this would be but its lovely.

meeting the high elves

this is of course by Alan Lee. i think the hobbit on the right (sleeping) is pippin. the one with brown hair is frodo and the one with blonde hair looking at frodo im reckoning is sam.

there are many many more lovely images of the shire and illustrating the chapters of LotR... if you want to comment on these ones or just see some more work by the artists check out the illustrations gallery

[Edited on 14/5/2003 by k]

Elenisil
Wielder of Lijworld
Send Message
on: May 14, 2003 10:28
:drool:

I think the second pic fits perfectly the morning after their first night on the road... Firstly, for the tree...

Then, each in an angle of the great tree´s roots, they curled up in their cloaks and blanckets and were soon fast asleep.

Later, for the stream...

'I don´t keep water in my pockets,' said Frodo.

'We thought you had gone to find some,' said Pippin, busy with setting out the food, and cups. 'You had better go now.'

'You can come too,' said Frodo, 'and bring all the water bottles.' There was a stream at the foot of the hill. They filled their bottles and the small camping kettle at a little fall where the water fell a few feet over the an outcrop of grey stone.

And, finally, the one that says it all....

When their breakfast was over, and their packs all trussed up again, it was after ten o´clock, and the day was beginning to turn fine and hot. They went down the slope and across the stream where it dived under the road, and up the next slope, and up and down another shoulder of hills; and by that time their cloaks, blankets, water, food, and other gear already seemed a heavy burden.

huh.... got a bit overexcited there....:blush:

[Edited on 14/5/2003 by Elenisil]
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: May 21, 2003 06:41
assignment four- a shortcut to mushrooms

a black rider on the path

this art is by Inger Edelfeldt, a swedish illustrator. it shows a black rider on the road ahead.

crossing the brandywine

this is by Roger Garland (who also gave us a lovely interveiw.. see the art section. and whos art features in my avatar ) it shows the hobbits crossing the brandywine river.

sorry there arent many this week- i guess the arists dont find this chapter ever so inspiring.... but next week.. oh we get to see naked hobbits- so make sure to check back!
Eowyn_Touched-By-Frost
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 21, 2003 12:14
Naked hobbits! Sounds scary...Maybe I wont check back!
I have some pictures of this chapter in a book, but I have no scanner so I can't get them up.
By the way K, I like your avatar. Isn't it new? Everyone is getting a new one lately, even me!
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: May 22, 2003 04:30
nah its not new... i had this for a long long time before i got my grima one. but i took it down and made some tiny changes to it so its looking prettier than ever

LOL its ok not full naked hobbits.. yoiu will see
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: June 02, 2003 02:40
assignment five- a conspiricy unmasked

ok well apologies for the delay- i have been distracted.

bathtime

one of the first Nasmith's i submitted to the site. this is obvioulsy sam pippin and frodo having a bath.. notice pippin getting rather enthusiastic with his splashing there

the three conspiritors

by carol emery phenix. this is sam (i think) revealing to Frodo that he was the person who passed information on. from left to right. fatty bolger. frodo. sam. merry. pippin

again only two this week- not the most inspiring of chapters..

Elenisil
Wielder of Lijworld
Send Message
on: June 02, 2003 02:51
he he he... go ted nasmith!!!

I'll be forever thankful for that one
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: June 09, 2003 12:06
assignment six- the old forest

into old forest

by ted nasmith (i hope your all getting to recognise his style now. there will be other aritst featured more soon, but it seems nasmith has done more FotR than most) note fatty bolger in this pic too!

down withywindle

by alan lee of course! a nice scenery of the old forest

old man willow

by john howe (not one of my faves of his) note frodo there being held under the roots (thanks to pipsqueak for pointing that out))

meeting bombadil

the hobbits fine tom bombadil and ask for his help. i like the way the trees are drawn in this- note the branchs that look like arms on old many willow. bout time i put some roger garland in here!

tom bombadil

uh oh its the brother Hildebrandt. ok so this is the classic image of bombadil in my mind at least. (am very glad they didnt feature this guy in the film.. i certainly wouldnt buy the idea of a bunch of young hobbit men going home with a dancing old man singing about flowers...)

k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: June 16, 2003 02:17
assignment seven- in the house of tom bombadil and fog on the barrow downs

approaching the house

this is of course the house of tom bombadil, by alan lee. note the water lillys in the border

in the house of tom bombadil

this is by joan wyatt (she has some interesting pictures, i really would recommend checking out her ents) and of course shows goldberry serving the hobbits.

frodos dream

of course, this is by ted nasmith showing the dream frodo has in tom's house. i love the light in this picture, and the rocks in the background are great!

farewell to the house

oh another nasmith here. goldberry (as many people have pointed out) doesnt look quite right, but my goodness just look at the background and colour in this

fog on the barrow downs

this is by Paul Gregory, he did two pictures of this scene. (both can be found in his gallery on site) this shown here is my favourite. elenisil (gallery admin) disagrees with me... check out both and let us know what you think.

in the barrow

this one has been requested by three people. so of course how could i refuse. i enjoy this version of the barrow too.

well i think thats just about enough for today this is a well illustrated chapter though- worth checking out the many differnt images of the barrow and barrow wights.

please note if you have any requests of pictures you would like to see shown for future chapters please let me know- ill be more than happy to put them up.

k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: June 26, 2003 03:04
assignment eight- at the sign of the prancing pony and strider

arriving in Bree

another Nasmith.

the incedent in the pony

by alan lee

sorry thats all ive got for this week... i couldnt bear to put bakshi scenes in.. and no one else seemed to do the meeting with strider bit. weathertop next week yay!!

k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: July 06, 2003 11:14
assignment nine- a knife in the dark

fatty bolger

i dont have one of crickhollow or of the wraiths attacking the villiage, so i decided you all get a nice picture of fatty bolger instead- its by john howe- hes done a series of these, faces of the characters (we have them in the gallery hint hint) and yes i _know_ hobbits are supposed to have curly hair...just run with it ok

the 3rd of october

its by nasmith- its dark and one of the only pics of this scene ive ever found. i rather like it

long was the way that fate them bore

aragorn recounts the tale of beren and luthien- ok so this was just an excuse to show an image of luthien but isnt it pretty! its by lidia postma, showing her in morgoths realm

the ringwraiths approach

simple but scary picture. by lode claes

the wraiths attack

by john howe, actually done after the film which is why frodo looks mildy like elijah wood. not howes best but still the wraiths are scary

[Edited on 6/7/2003 by k]

[Edited on 14/7/2003 by k]

k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: July 14, 2003 10:38
assignmen ten- flight to the ford

athelas

oh boy, i love john howe. this is a picture of athelas, aragorn can smell its leaves in the dark- he uses it to treat frodos wound.

before the trollshaws

isnt this lovely? this is after frodo is injured- in the early stages, you can see hes still sat up just distant from the others. strider is off at the top of the rocks looking for things. i love the feel of this painting its by Goldsmith.. we dont have much of his stuff

trollshaws

the picture that first attracted me to paul gregory. look at the light! it is of course the three stone trolls

troll sat alone on his seat of stone

we havent had a Nasmith for a while- this one is sam reciting his poem. you know i tried to draw this scene once, before i realised it had been drawn before- i had never seen this pic, and i drew it almost exactely the same... of course that was back when we had 24 pictures in fan art- i never did get round to submitting it.. all 24 pictures were better than mine. i didnt want to lower the tone

the part youve all been waiting for- frodos brave moment

hee hee we have two pictures here... this first one is by john howe (look at the quality on that!) and its many many peoples favourite ford picture so of course i cant miss it out. (hes on the wrong side of the river though...but otherwise howe rocks)

the second one is my fave. its by ted nasmith and i just think its gorgous- the colours!! just lovely.

howe:

nasmith:

:drool::drool:

ok ok im done now. that was a long entry- lots of pics. i promised myself only 3 per chapter but well i just couldnt with this one. does anyone actually read this thread any more or do i just sit her and post illustrations to myself?

eowynshue
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 14, 2003 11:47
lol k i luv this thread!

b-b-but w-w-what about...glorfindel? *sniff* no piccys with him in? *sniff* :cry:
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: July 16, 2003 09:38
hee hee well you have to look in illustrations gallery for _something_ besides. his role in LotR is neglected by just about everyone... he appears as a kind of figure in a dress in the background of nasmiths other flight to the ford picture. there is a gorgeous one of him fighing the balrog on the mountain in howes gallery (but not very appropriate for this thread) and two by eissmann, but i dont really like them.

again if there are any specific pictures you want to see in this thread please please PM me and ask for it... i dont mind.. honestly! even if you cant find a link or cant remember the name- you could try just describing it.. i might know the one you mean

i guess since ive had nice feedback i will carry on with this for the next book (actually i probably would have done anyway cus i like doing it!) feel free to post comments if you want in this thread.. though i will go round and clean it out from time to time. (if your gonna comment please comment on the pictures, things you noticed or particularly like about it.. not "oh those are good" )

because this thread is taking ages to load... even for my super fast computer im going to start a new topic. for book 2.

[Edited on 4/8/2003 by k]
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email