Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
Post RE: All Chapters - Quotes
on: April 29, 2004 09:52
Wow! That's a lot of really good quotes!
Scatha
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 09, 2004 03:47
Whether this is important or not, this is one of my favorite passages in The Two Towes:

"But it was too late. At that moment the rock quivered and trembled beneath them. The great rumbling noise, louder than ever before, rolledin the ground and echoed in the mountains. Then, with saring suddeness, there came a great red flash. Far beyond the eastern mountains it lept into the sky and splashed the lowering clouds with crimson. in that valley os shadow and cold deathly light it seemed unbearably violent and fierce. Peaks od stone and ridges like notched knives sprang out in staring black against the uprushing flame in Gorgoroth. Then came a grea crack of thunder.
And Minas Morgul answered. There was a flare of livid lightnings: forks of blue flame springing up from the tower and from the encircling hills into the sullen clouds. The earth groaned; and out of the city there came a cry. mingled with the harsh high voices as of birds of prey, and the shrill neighing of horses wild with rage of fear, there came a rending screech, shivering, rising swiftyl to a piercing pitch beyond the range of hearing. The hobbits wheeled around towards it and cast themselves down, holding their hands to their ears.
As the terrible cry ended, falling back through a long sickening wail to silence, Frodo slowly raised his head. Across the narrow valley, now almost on a level with his eye, the walls of the evil city stood, and its cavernous gate, shaped like a mouth with gleaming teeth, was gaping wide. And out of the gate an army came."
-The Stairs of Cirith Ungol
-The Two Towers

I'll be back with more-equally evil-quotes.
Catriona
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 21, 2004 10:58
My all time favorite Gollum quote:

"If we has it, then we can escape, even from Him, eh? Perhaps we grows very strong, stronger than Wraiths. Lord Smeagol? Gollum the Great? The Gollum? Eat fish every day, three times a day, fresh from the sea!"

Dolen_i_vad_a_nin
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 09, 2005 08:17
A Shortcut to Mushrooms
"They seem a bit above my likes and dislikes, so to speak,' answered Sam slowly. "It don't seem to matter what I think about them. They are quite different from what I expected - so old and young, and so gay and so sad, as it were."

A Conspiracy Unmasked
"Just this, my dear old Frodo: you are miserable, because you don't know how to say good-bye. You meant to leave the Shire, of course. But danger has come on you sooner than you expected, and now you are making up your mind to go at once. And you don't want to. We are very sorry for you." - Merry.

The Old Forest
"They do not like all that about ending and failing,' said Merry. "I should not sing any more at present. Wait till we do get to the edge, and then we'll turn and give them a rousing chorus!"
Tinveil
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 31, 2005 01:42
A Conspiracy Unmasked

Merry went to the door: "What about supper and beer in the throat?"

It made think of eating turkey on thanksgiving when my Grandps drinks his beer! Of course he sneeks me a little
MelannenMedliwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 07, 2005 03:21

-"As Beeren looked into her eyes within the shadows of her hair, the trembling starlight of the skies he saw there mirrored shimmering. TinĂºviel the elven-fair, immortal maiden elven-wise, about him cast her shadowy hair and arms like silver glimmering"
:cry:

I was reading all the quotes in this thread, 'cause I thought it'd be fun. But I was just wandering, where exactly is this quote from, it's beautyfull!
crenm45
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 19, 2007 10:55
I have way to many to count, but my favorites are of Gandalf, Saruman, and Tree Beard. (You could say the wise or realy old people)

But this comes to my head

He who breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom-Gandalf
Sava-Tennoio
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 09, 2009 05:43
I've been reading through the books, and so far my favorite quote has been from Legolas, in the second 'book' of FOTR. He said was speaking a lament of the earth for the "silvan folk," when he said:

"Deep they delved us, fair they wrought us, high they builded us; but they are gone. They are gone. They sought the Havens long ago."

I don't know, it reminded me of my parents, and I thought it would be a quote that would mean more to me when they are gone. Strange?
aragorn500
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 06, 2010 12:20
My favourite quote is by Aragorn it is, A Eruchin, u-dano i faelas a hyn an uben tanatha le faelas. Which is translated 2 mean show them no mercy, 4 u shall recieve none

[Edited on 6/4/2010 by aragorn500]
ShieldMaiden77
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: All Chapters - Quotes
on: February 06, 2013 02:51
'Very well, Mr. Baggins,' said the leader, pushing the barrier aside. 'But don't forget I've arrested you.'
'I won't,' said Frodo. 'Never. But I may forgive you.'

~RotK, chapter 8, the scouring of the shire

oooooh burn!
TaraMirkwoodElf
Council Member
Send Message
"Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens."

- Gimli
Middle Earth
Council Member
Send Message
I think that my favourite quotes from the trilogy would be:
"I am no man."
"We have only to decide what to do with the time that is given us."
We have only to decide what to do with the time that is given us...
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email