Register

Author Topic:
Trignifty
Ruler and Court Jester of Planet Awesome
Send Message
Post 1.VI. The Old Forest
on: June 13, 2003 10:52
Again, compliments of Figgy...

- The first half of this chapter is used to further charactarize the Hobbits. How are they indivually depicted, and which scenes are crucial for this depiction?
- What image of nature does Tolkien use in this chapter? How does it fit the one in previous chapters?
- How does Tolkien manipulate the Wood to become a character? What kind of personality does it have?
- What could be the symbolic meaning of the journey through the wood?

And a nice thinker...
Do you think the Wood is interested in the Ring?

[Edited on 28/1/2004 by Figwit]
Eowyn_Touched-By-Frost
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Post RE: 1.VI. The Old Forest
on: June 13, 2003 11:45
And a nice thinker...
Do you think the Wood is interested in the Ring?

Well, evil is always drawn to Frodo as Gandalf said would happen, so yes. I think being evil the Wood is interested in the Ring. Maybe not for It being a Ring, but for the fact that the trees sense this evil thing in their presence and try to get at it; therefore enclosing the Hobbits and then they get lost.

The first half of this chapter is used to further charactarize the Hobbits. How are they indivually depicted, and which scenes are crucial for this depiction?

Pippin is depicted, like usual, as a curious fellow who usually brings bad on his own head. Merry is, again, seen as a bit of a leader. To me he seems to be the only one that really has things under control; knows what he's doing. Sam is still just Sam; worrying about keeping Frodo happy. And then Frodo himself, he still seems confused: unsure where he's going, wether bringing his friends was a bad idea, and if he's doing the right thing.

What image of nature does Tolkien use in this chapter? How does it fit the one in previous chapters?

Tolkein seems to depict nature as being truly alive, and further emphasises the fact it can either be good or evil; just like people. I don't see it really fitting the image of the previous chapters; they delt more with the folk.

How does Tolkien manipulate the Wood to become a character? What kind of personality does it have?

The Wood's personality is curious and untrusting of people. Tolkein manipulated it to instead of being many trees; being one mass of trees working as one charachter to hinder the Hobbits.

What could be the symbolic meaning of the journey through the wood?[/

That they still have lots of evil to face? Maybe just a starting point of the journey that will show later that Frodo started out lost, but he matured along the way.

Well, I'm sure I'm all wrong, but I better quit now. This is allready too long.
Sindarin
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 13, 2003 05:27
What could be the symbolic meaning of the journey through the wood?

I think it is symbolic of the journey from one way of life to another, from the known to the unknown with all the possible fear and evil. Very allegorical.

What kind of personality does it have?

Old, malign, wary of intruders.
Naurlas
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 16, 2003 05:51
Tolkien's description of nature in Chap. 6 are wonderfully malevolent, brooding and mysterious. My favorite description in this chapter would have to be "They mounted and soon they were riding off into the mist, which seemed to open reluctantly before them and close forbiddingly behind them" - I could feel the dampness and sense the isolation of the Hobbits! It's these kinds of phrases that Tolkien uses to imbue ME with a personality and character of it's own.

His description of ME in the early chapters are opposite of Chapter 6. The Shire was always depicted as peaceful, serene and in harmony w/ everything that lived there - not so with the Old Forest.

I think the Hobbits are still running pretty true to form still....Frodo - confused, Sam - loyal, Merry - stalwart and Pippin - clueless

Your question about is the Wood interested in the Ring? hmmm...I agree with was already said, I think the Forest is inherently evil, so it would try to attach itself to anything evil.

I just wanna know....what else is in that thar' Forrest, that makes big ruts and paths??? something other than the Trees?? :evil:
Eowyn_Touched-By-Frost
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 16, 2003 08:53
I don't know if we're allowed to mention it yet, but scince I've seen the word used in here...
Ents. I think that there are ents in the Old forest that leave the paths. Sam said his cousin saw a walking tree...
NenyaGold
Legend of Lothlórien & Head Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
on: June 16, 2003 10:53
I have a theory but don't look here if you don't want to know a spoiler...:love:

[Edited on 11/14/2003 by NenyaGold]
samUNit7
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 08, 2004 03:09
I believe the Wood, or at least some inhabitants of it, are interested in the Ring, given Gandalf's warning of birds and trees being servants/spies of the Enemy.

On another thought, when Merry mentions the Old Forest (on the borders of Buckland) in the second movie of the LotR trilogy, I believe that the trees he describe may refer to the Ents (maybe even the ENTWIVES ). This is only an assumption.

~Sam
_LadyEowyn_
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 04, 2005 09:28
I don't think the wood is attracted to the ring because merry mentions that it would drop a branch or stick out a root to trip you up, and that was when he went there alone without Frodo.

On another thought, when Merry mentions the Old Forest (on the borders of Buckland) in the second movie of the LotR trilogy, I believe that the trees he describe may refer to the Ents (maybe even the ENTWIVES ). This is only an assumption.

But, when there is the battle for Helms Deep, the trees from Fangorn move then and they aren't entwives or ents.
(sorry, sidetracking)

Aragorn1
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 10, 2006 12:52
I don't think the wood is attracted to the ring because merry mentions that it would drop a branch or stick out a root to trip you up, and that was when he went there alone without Frodo.

But, when there is the battle for Helms Deep, the trees from Fangorn move then and they aren't entwives or ents.
(sorry, sidetracking)

The trees at Helm's Deep are Huorns, ents that have become "tree-ish".
Aragorn1
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 10, 2006 12:54
Who or what is Old Man Willow? Is he an ent?
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
on: January 11, 2006 08:07
I think he's just an old tree come alive, like the Huorns perhaps?
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email