Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Ithiahir
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: War Movies!
on: May 04, 2004 01:50
i like the thin red line. i can't explain it. i just do. it's just too dang captivating!
eowynandaragorn
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 05, 2004 01:00
Yeah def. agree with something about it! Was just wondering what people thought of it because it is an oscar nominating film just like saving private ryan yet it is not that well talked about.

But glad u liked it!
Hey what do u think of the private witt character, i am a huge jim caviezel fan, and that was his breaking role?
RivendellMaiden
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 05, 2004 08:03
I like Blackhawk Down, Braveheart (if that counts), The Patriot, and there are probley more but I can not think of them right now.
LadyOfGondor85
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 06, 2004 08:43
hmmm,lets see, i like A Bridge too Far, Pearl Harbour, and Saving Private Ryan..well...at least what ive seen of it! lol
Ithiahir
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 07, 2004 12:02
Yeah def. agree with something about it! Was just wondering what people thought of it because it is an oscar nominating film just like saving private ryan yet it is not that well talked about.

But glad u liked it!
Hey what do u think of the private witt character, i am a huge jim caviezel fan, and that was his breaking role?

pvt. witt is a great character. did he use an accent in the film or does he really speak with a southern accent? i was wondering.....
Vrael
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 12, 2004 11:20
I love Black Hawk Down, the Patriot, and Saving Private Ryan.

[Edited on 13/5/2004 by Vrael]
eowynandaragorn
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 12, 2004 11:32
did he use an accent in the film or does he really speak with a southern accent? i was wondering.....

No he is from washington. He just sppeaks with that accent in the film. Hes pretty good though! I was watching the extras from the film and he was speaking in it, and he was speaking with that accent outside character! But no he just put it on for that film!
If u saw him in frequency he has a pretty new york queens accent!
Findulas
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 24, 2004 06:46
I don't really like the war movies set in WWI and WWII, I tend to prefer the ones set in the Middle-Ages and back from then. I am planning to see Gladiator and Troy soon, so that will be another two to add to my short list. The only war movie I have seen is Braveheart, and I love it. It might be gory in places, but still it's a great movie and I am a bit biased seeing as I am Scottish:love:. Though there is a WWII movie that has me intrested, I think it's a Bridge Too Far. 'm not sure, but it is the one with the Mad Piper in it, I think Sena Connery's in it as well.
I would aslo like to know if they are any movies about the Jacobite Rebellions. Help me, please?
MirkwoodElfCiarrai
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 27, 2004 04:10
Oh My Gosh!!
Me and My Bro LOVE Old War Movies like...
"The Halls Of Matezuma" And My Personal Fave!
"To Hell And Back"
Its such a AEWSOME movie!!!!!!!!
Go to www.netflix.com and order it!!!!

Pm Me to talk about it more!!!!!!!

[Edited on 30/8/2004 by MirkwoodElfCiarrai]
rohanmaiden
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 29, 2004 03:26
Number 1 is The Patriot! I love that movie so much. I also really like Master and Commander. This one is a tv show not a movie, but I really like the old show Hogan's Heroes. It is so funny and so entertaining. I also like the John Wayne movie The Sands of Iwo Jima.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 31, 2004 11:42
I cant believe nobody like the Cross of Iron! Am I the only one??? I managed to get me the full edition of the DVD from Asia. The American version is 15 minutes shorter.

I like all the popular repeats here like Band of Brothers, Pvt. Ryan, and We Were Soldiers, but some that are good and interesting is Lost Batallion, & All Quiet on the Western Front, set in World War 1, and The Bridge and Das Boot, set in WW2
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
luthienkenobi
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 25, 2004 06:19
I guess I would say either The Patriot or Black Hawk Down. I not really into war movies, but I do like some of them. Those are basically the only ones I like. But, if you would call Troy a war movie...I love it...it was soo awesome.
ELBERTHGILTTHONIELIII
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 26, 2004 09:10
I think only one person mentioned this but one of my favorite movies is Patton. it is such a cool look at his personality. i also really loved band of brothers, but another one that no one has mentioned is God's and Generals, the battle of Fredricksburg is really well done.
j_mercuryuk
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 28, 2004 12:44
hate WW1 & WW2 war films, ones further back i can stand (troy, Gladiator was quite good, be most of that was set in the circus). there always so predictable whos gonna die, but then i guess mosr films use that formua.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 22, 2005 11:06
I like George C. Scott as Patton!
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
Rulea
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 02, 2007 11:49
The Patriot
sairina_star
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 02, 2007 02:21
I like war movies such as Saving Private Ryan, Glory, Gladiator, and Troy.
bowman
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 23, 2007 02:25
my fav war movie is tigerland. but i also liked platoon.
bowman
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 23, 2007 02:28
oh almost forgot! dirty dozen was good too.
Maiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 23, 2007 05:29
I really liked Band of Brothers, thought it was well done and had an interesting cast that worked well.

Ice Cold in Alex, old black and white world war II set movie with the late great Sir John Mills.

Tigerland was really good in terms of character study.

The Longest Day, A Bridge too far, Black Hawk Down and Troy are all ones I enjoyed as well.
Drauglin
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 27, 2007 03:48
War movies are definetly the whip. But ah man, does the Patriot even count? I thought that was a comedy about good actors in bad roles. HA!

seriously, I didn't see Enemy at the Gates in here, great WW II flick about a Russin sniper.

While technically not a war flick, the HBO production calledConspiracy is a great war-related drama about the Nazi meeting that spawned the final solution.

Sorry for the cheap shot Mel and Heath fans!
Elfalas
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 27, 2007 10:38
I like Band of Brothers, Glory, Black Hawk Down(haven't seen much), and I like Kingdom of Heaven. I do not know if Kingdom of Heaven counts, but it is good, and the fact that it is about the Crusades is cool, because that is my favorite topic in history. I also like Saving Private Ryan, but I haven't seen much of it, only parts and Gladiator. War movies rock, I think they are some of the best movies out there.
fogriipus
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 06, 2007 12:51
I'm interested in war histroy, especially both World Wars (and hopefully there is not more to come), so I like to watch war movies, too. Somehow I can't think of the movies about older times than 20th (and maybe 19th) century as war movies... they're more like historical epics. And for some reason I don't like many Vietnam movies that much.

The ones I love :heart: : Band of Brothers (a miniseries, actually) and Saving Private Ryan
I like: Black Hawk Down, Thin Red Line, Unknown Soldier (both versions, especially the older one), No Man's Land
I've seen and can recommend at least to some extent: Cross of Iron, Schindler's List, U-571, Platoon, Full Metal Jacket, We Were Soldiers, also Pearl Harbor is okay except the love story!

Some newer movies like Windtalkers, Years of the Sun and Jarhead (except if you want to see gorgeous men ) have been a bit of disappointments... Uh, I know I've seen many other war movies but can't remember them now or how they were like, and I still have to find the time to watch Das Boot which I recently got on dvd.

[Edited on 6/3/2007 by fogriipus]
cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
on: March 06, 2007 03:16
I saw "Das Boot" when it was on TV many years ago, and I now have the DVD. It is brilliantly filmed and directed. Watch out for the early sequence in the night-club and notice that it is a single shot using a hand-held camera and lasts several minutes. The submarine interiors are all shot very tight to give the real feeling of claustrophobia. It is not an easy story, but is truly brilliant movie-making.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 15, 2007 02:23

Kelly's Heroes is a great movie that has its world war 2 technical stuff down while presenting more of a black comedy storyline in the vein of M.A.S.H. & Catch-22. Great cast as well.

[Edited on 11/16/2007 by Arveleg]
BerethEdhellen
RPG Moderator & Mistress of the Sea
Send Message
on: November 16, 2007 02:15
I've never really been 'into' war movies but there are two that could watch over and over::

The Longest Day
Das Boot
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
MerryandPip
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 17, 2007 05:10
Does Kingdom of Heaven count?

I also love Gettysburg and Gods and Generals.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 22, 2007 02:13
Yeah MerryandPip, I think they count. I think Gettysburg was better than Gods & Generals though. My favorite Cvil War movie has to be Glory.

I like We Were Soldiers and Patriot despite Mel Gibson.
Das Boot directors cut is tops as well.
LightElfRowena
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 23, 2007 06:25
The Patriot is a cool movie, but my fav war movie has got to be 300.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 26, 2010 08:37
300 was good in its graphic novel sort of way.

Speaking of war movies, Steven Speilberg and Tom Hanks are involved with The Pacific, which will be a 10 part mini-series like The Band of Brothers. Its currently being filmed in Australia and will be due out sometime in 2009.

And another great war movie to see is Kokoda!

I enjoyed watching The Pacific! It was a bit soapy in parts, but well done. Tell me somebody else watched this!
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: War Movies!
on: May 23, 2012 06:03
My favourite at the moment is "The Hurt Locker". I just like how it works out without these big traditional battle scenes and largely without the typical pathos.
"Tora! Tora! Tora!" also comes to mind, although it's some time since I last saw it.

"Black Hawk Down" is one of the movies I still have to see entirely. I tried to watch it on TV once, late at night and the constant helicopter sounds made me fall asleep

I finally managed to watch "We were soldiers" only recently. It has its moments but by and large it is too much Hollywood for me. The same goes for "Saving Private Ryan".
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 24, 2012 05:08
Been a couple years since I've been here...

A good non-Hollywood war movie is the Dutch movie 'Black Book'. Quite good at showing the moral dilemmas of both sides of WW2 occupied Netherlands.

Also, 'Beneath Hill 60' is quite a good movie showing the 'underground front' of WW1's Western Front.
belldoras
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 25, 2012 06:23
I am a fan of the oldies
The Alamo
Spartacus
The Dirty Dozen
The Great Escape with Steve McQueen, and I remember Gregory Peck in The Guns of Navarone.
Bridge Over the River Kwai
From Here To Eternity
Joan Of Ark
Robin Hood(Russell Crowe version)
Yul Brynner as The Buccaneer

How times have changed
Beren_Onehand
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 16, 2012 05:38
One of my favorites is: The Great Escape. I love that war movie! I also really like Gettysburg (I like it more than Gods&Generals).
"All we have to decide, is what to do with the time that is given to us"
LegolasXXXXX
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 26, 2012 10:00
I love war movies...my latest favorite is Act of Valor...so sad tho, steel yourselves peeps if you decide to watch it
Lindarielwen, I hope that wherever you are it is incredible and filled with all the things that you love. Looking forward to our next meeting.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email