Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Some great older movies that seemed to portray their subject matter really well are
30 Seconds Over Tokyo
Stalingrad (1993 German film)
The Longest Day
Tora Tora Tora
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I love The Patriot and Life Is Beautiful. The latter is an Italian film, you can get it with English subtitles.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Apocalypse Now director' cut
Platoon
Full Metal Jacket (I'm a big Kubrick fan anyway)
Das Boot.
Saw the last one with my father, who had been in one of those submarines in WWII.
He was the leading engineer (leitender Ingenieur, short LI), meaning the engineer officer, at the age of 20 … this was about 1944/45, when Nazi Germany was running out of soldiers - it still seems utterly unthinkable to me. And he was one of the lucky ones – the submarine forces had a 75% death rate.
EthelynnGreenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
Hmmmm...
I've gotta say, my fav war movies are...
-Patriot
-Black Hawk Down
-Saving Private Ryan
-Glory
-Kingdom of Heaven
-Troy
"A sprinter learning to wait."
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Glory ... what a cast. Morgan Freeman as Sgt Major Rawlins was great, as was Denzel as Trip. Matthew Broderich as Col. Shaw never really convinced me.

Das Boot is an excellent film, especially the director's cut.
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Here is a couple more worth a watch...
Black Book - A Dutch film about life in occupied Netherlands, the resistance, and being Jewish.
Beneath Hill 60 - A good WW1 film about trench warfare and the underground front.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
I'm not sure if these two have been posted before, but I really like Red Runs the River and Sergeant York.
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I watched Red Runs the River in AP World last year, Mareth! And Gandhi, as well...not really a war movie, but very interesting. And long. Very long.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
We used to have Red Runs the River on VHS, and we would watch it all the time.
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
I'm really looking forward to Hacksaw Ridge! It's about a conscientious objector who becomes a Hospital Corpman (medic) with the Marines on Okinawa in World War 2.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Come to think of it "M*A*S*H" the (anti-) war movie is a classic in its way. And "The Day After", as I just learned from Wikipedia an ABC television movie, which basically shows that a nuclear war is not "fightable", as some military nuts, and possibly far more civilian nuts (both without any real-life combat experience), may have believed. The lose-lose situation without the remotest, slightest competition to its title.

I believe I read somewhere that Ronald Reagan was so impressed - more likely and more to the point rattled, unnerved - by the movie that he (slowly?) came to the conclusion that talks aiming at limitation or even better reduction of nuclear weapons were not just liberal bleeding-heart gobbledygook. In fact Reagan and Gorbachev signed the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty (INF Treaty) in 1987, which was actually ratified by the US (meaning Senate) and came into force in 1988. Should "The Day After" have contributed to this even in a small way, then it must rank as the most influential (anti-) war movie of all time.
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Games Moderator, and Chief Corrupted Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
Off the top of my head and in no particular order, my faves, including two sequences, are:

- the opening sequence of Gladiator
- the ride of the Rohirrim in The Return of the King
- The Longest Day
- The Big Red One
- The Sands of Iwo Jima
- The Kingdom of Heaven
- The Bridge on the River Kwai

Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
I do like The Big Red One especially the longer Director's cut. My uncle was in the Big Red One, coming in as a replacement after D-Day, and he was wounded by shrapnel from a Panther tank shell in The Battle of the Bulge.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
A post-scriptum to the 1981/82 movie “Das Boot”: it is based on the 1973 novel of the same name by German author etc. Lothar-Günther Buchheim, who in actual life was the war reporter on the actual U-96, depicted in the movie by German musician-actor Herbert Grönemeyer. There were two different TV releases, first apparently three 100-minute episodes in 1984/85, and six 50-minute episodes in 1988. I’m guessing I saw at least part of the 1988 version, and my dad was still alive then.

Buchheim was involved in the filming in some sort of advisory role (certainly sans veto powers), and all of the material used in the diverse incarnations, including the 1997 director’s cut, had been filmed in the original filming run, so no later pick-ups as in PJ’s JRRT movies. Buchheim wrote a book (with many photographs taken during filming, and action stills) about the filming, and describes that he was constantly trying to pull producer / director Wolfgang Petersen back from “fantasy territory” - rarely with success. Buchheim was no stranger to the world of theater / movies / TV of the time, and stated that from a purely dramatic perspective, some scenes were excellent. Problem is, there wasn’t a snowball’s chance in Angband of anything of the sort occurring on the military craft that a U-boat is. So part of what is to be seen in some versions borders on what can be seen in some war comedy films (there was one rather nutty film about a US sub which supposedly was pink because the primer paint was of that color, and as per the script the sub had to head out before the grey covering paint could be applied). Modern fantasy, so to speak.

[Edited on 10/21/2017 by Gandolorin]
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
I read a book by Herbert Werner called 'Iron Coffins'. It was quite an interesting read, and at the time of the writing, the 'Enigma' code breaking had not yet been de-classified, so it was interesting to get a perspective of dismay when Allied aircraft would appear when the U-Boat surfaced.

That 'pink sub' movie... that would be 'Operation Petticoat'.

There was an American 'S42' class sub in Seattle that was open for tours, and the thing they seem to miss in submarine movies is there is never as much room inside them than what they show, especially around the periscope.

[Edited on 10/21/2017 by Arveleg]
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
They built a full-scale model of (most of?) the interior of a class VII sub (which was the WW II Atlantic raider class, there were larger classes with greater range of several types, but they were practically useless in the Atlantic as raiders since they were not able to crash-dive nearly quickly enough to escape destruction even way before allied counter-measures made every U-boat sortie a suicide mission as of late 1943). No styrofoam rocks or stuff like in the original Star Trek series, everything in this full-scale mockup was made of metal (which is a large part the reason that “Das Boot” was by far the most expensive movie made in Germany up to this point). Even Buchheim, who had been aboard the actual type VII U-96 in an Atlantic sortie (and a failed breakthrough into the Mediterranean?), was jarred by this realism – and also jarred by the extremely cramped conditions for about 70 total crew members. At the beginning of a sortie, with a full load of torpedoes and food and water for the expected duration of the sortie, the crew had to squish themselves into the room left them by this. But even the “simple” matter of going through the two bulkheads between the three sections of these U-boats – front, central, and rear – each of the two bulkheads being able to be closed water-tight against the neighboring section with bank-vault equivalent, massive doors, was by 1981 – almost 40 years after Buchheim’s personal war experience, almost a shock. He wasn’t quite as slim and young anymore (in 1981, he was 63, older than I am now). Feelings of claustrophobia assaulted him. U-boats, along with army tanks, and fighter planes, for a long time remained the weapons categories where men whose sports career wish would most likely have been jockey were most predestined for.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
I enjoyed watching the TV series Das Boot which was set in the year 1942 (1st season) and ate 1942-early 43 (2nd season). Quite entertaining and it handles the drama well.

Another new war movie that came out in 2019 is Danger Close: The Battle of Long Tan.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email