Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
Post The assignments illustrated- FotR book 2
on: August 04, 2003 05:26
the old thread found here now has over 30 images in it. its taking quite some time to load on my computer, so i dread to think how long it takes for dial up users. so i have decided to start a new topic for the second book of the trilogy.

for those of you who are wondering what this thread is about....

Each week i intend to bring you maps and illustrations relevant to the chapter(s) the book club is working on.

There are a great many middle earth artists and a huge number of LotR art pictures, i will only be showing you some of them, both by the well known artists and the lesser known ones... but if you want to see more of the art from Lord of the Rings check out our illustrations gallery

enjoy!

[Edited on 4/8/2003 by k]
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
Post RE: The assignments illustrated- FotR book 2
on: August 04, 2003 05:47
assignment eleven- many meetings

where am i and what is the time?

this one is by carol emery phenix. not exactely my image of this scene, but its still a good painting IMO.

and so it was Frodo saw her whom few mortals had yet seen

arwen daughter of elrond, in whom it was said the likeness of luthien had come on earth again.
this is of course by John Howe, an probably one of the nicest arwen paintings ive seen. (in that it matchs my veiw of her)

the hall of fire

by anke katrin eissman. im not a huge fan of this artist but others are, so i guess its worth including.

earendil the mariner

for ever still a herald on
an errand that should never rest
to bear his shining lamp afar
the flammifer of westernesse

this image is probably my favourite of all time. its by Roger Garland and shows Earendil and Elwing.. its just lovely. (its the image used for one of my avatars too in case you recognised it )
theres some great stuff in this picture, from what i can tell. at the back you can see the sun being guided by arien through the doors of the night. then i think that island might be valinor, of course the white bird is elwing going up to join earendil. *sigh* i love this pic

next week we have a selection of images asked for by Figwit, as well as some of my own choosing. in case your wondering where the pictures of actual rivendell are... this whole chapter is set inside or at night- from what i could tell frodo hasnt seen rivendell properly yet... next week

im on holiday so figwit will be posting in this thread for the next couple of assignments

[Edited on 13/8/2003 by k]

[Edited on 29/8/2004 by k]
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
on: August 15, 2003 02:47
okay, first of all: I'm not an illustrations expert like k :love: so it might be a little weird to see my selection, however, I find these very inspirational!

There aren't so many illustrations of the scene itself, so I decided to show illustrations of some of the 'main characters' that are talked about at the Council.

The White Council discusses Gollum

Elrond Remembers Gil-Galad by Kaluta

Saruman of Many Colours by John Howe

Radagast the Brown by Quinton J. Hoover

Elrond by Ralph Bakshi

additions by k:

of course this scene is also the one in which rivendell is described in depth... now i know this post has alot of pictures already but i cant resist adding a couple of my favourite Rivendell pictures, so enjoy.

ted nasmith

well this is actually one of Nasmiths favourite of his illustrations, its based on Tolkiens image of Rivendell and he (Nasmith) worked on this for alot longer than usual...

david wyatt

not the classical image of rivendell but still in my opinion stunning. i think this has been said to look oriental or indian and i guess it does a bit but to me its still very elvish

[Edited on 21/9/2003 by k]

Figwit
Send Message
on: September 11, 2003 02:44
Book 2 Chapter III: The Ring Goes South

Eissmann: Bilbo giving the mithril vest to Frodo

John Howe: Near Caradhras

Green: Retreat From Caradhras

additions by k

ah.. the anger of the mountain, not one of the most interesting parts of the book- though it does contain one of my favourite legolas lines. still it has some spectacular illustrations to go with it. Heres just a few more to add to the ones figwit already found.

on the mountain

this is by the italian artist Michelucci, now i know gimli's forehead dominates this scene, but look in the background- this guy is good at faces.. legolas looks great, as does frodo... so which one do you think is boromir- the one in the front right or the one at the back with gandalf??

the anger of the mountian

uh oh more nasmith... just look at this though. the clouds could be real!

more anger...

this time by Paul Gregory, he actually did a couple of versions of this but i like this one best

Figwit
Send Message
on: September 19, 2003 02:00
Book2 Chapter IV: A Journey In the Dark

Herring: The Wolves Of Mount Caradhras

John Howe: The Gate Of Moria

Kortich: Moria

additions by k

exploring the mines

by michelucci, he seems to like putting gimli in a prominent place in his pics, still i like it!

the great dwarf city

now i bet you all recognise this one it is of course moria by alan lee.

Figwit
Send Message
on: September 19, 2003 02:13
{hopefully we'll have our Illustrations expert back for the next Chapter }

Book 2 Chapter V: The Bridge Of Khazad-dûm

Eissman: Balin's Tomb

April Lee: Cave Troll

The Mines Of Moria by David Wyatt

if you want to have a good laugh, check out these as well:

Frau: Gandalf and the Balrog

Bakshi: Balrog

Hildebrandt

The Balrog of Moria, by Andrew Mockett

additions by k

ah, the fight with the balrog, one of the most illustrated scenes in FotR i believe (along with galadriels ring) so here goes.. my pick of the best (and theres quite a selection)

trapped

going back quickly to before the balrog, this is where they are followed by orcs by paul gregory.

gandalf and balrog

by john howe, i like this version of the image..

and this image is of course by nasmith... he subscribes to the "no wings" theory by the looks of it

k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: September 21, 2003 08:34
well apologies guys for my huge long absense... holiday followed by internet problems (ever tried doing fast searchs of the gallery while on very slow dial up??) meant i couldnt post for some time...

still things are getting back to normal now so you should see some more posts by me soon. in the meantime i have edited figgys posts (with her permission of course) to add some of my personal favourites to the illustrations already chosen by figwit. check them out!

k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: September 28, 2003 06:54
assignment 15- Lothlorien

kheled- zarum

a shame that this part hasnt been illustrated much, dwarf culture is sadly overlooked to a great extend in the books (im sure figwit would agree ) this one is by alan lee.. im not impressed with the water on this one.

lothlorien

now i like this one, though i know quite a few people dont.. its lothlorien (obviously) by luca michelucci.

and another view of lothlorien... im sure you recognise the style, its alan lee.

cerin amroth

this one isnt one of my fave lothlorien pic by far (those are coming next week and the week after) but its not bad. its by the brothers hildebrandt of course (who could fail to regonise those robin hood outfits )

eowynshue
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: September 28, 2003 08:43
Theres some really amazing illustrations here! I was just wondering, are there any of the feast in Rivendell from the 'Many Meetings' chapter? I haven't found any yet, which really surprised me. Seems like a good one to paint. If I was artistic I'd do one myself lol
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: September 29, 2003 09:42
yes indeed..... just the one that i have found and uh.. well see for yourself here (at least i believe this is what it shows) its not very "inspirational" a much neglected scene i guess.
enjoy
eowynshue
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: September 29, 2003 09:54
You're right, it is a bit..meh lol. But thanks anyways!
Figwit
Send Message
on: September 29, 2003 11:27
this is from the Bashki movie
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: October 13, 2003 07:21
assignment 16- galadriel's mirror and farewell to lothlorien

well this part of the book is beautifully described and so it follows that there are some gorgeous illustrations of lothlorien and galadriel...

the mirror of galadriel

elf city

a wonderful wonderful picutre by mr Nasmith well i think the pic speaks for itself really:

The Mirror

john Howe, again it really speaks for itself-

slightly poor quality im afriad, but its my fave one of Nasmiths Galadriel's - its actually featured on a danbury mini plate, which is why its round.

ahhh i bet you cant guess who this is by...

(brothers hildebrandt!)

farewell to lothlorien

i actually uploaded a bunch of new Howe images with the gifts on them.. but they arent on site yet so you will have to go to the gallery to see them...

heres my fave farewell to lothlorien pic.. none of the others even come close IMO

well thats it for this week folks. theres plenty more in the gallery for you to see though

k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: October 23, 2003 06:44
assignment 17- the great river

stopping on the river banks

i have been dying to find somewhere to put this image since i first saw it, i think its not very lothlorien so i decided its actually an image of when the fellowship stopped overnight. its by John Howe of course

nightwatch

ah now i havent put an anke katrin eissman one in here yet, simply cus im not a huge fan of her stuff. however i like this one. it shows frodo watching the banks and spotting gollum

fell beast

another by eissmann, this time it shows legolas aiming an arrow at the fellbest..

the pillars of the argonath

ah this was certainly an inpsiring part of the films, its just a shame that alot of the illustrations show the argonaths arms as weaker than they should be. anyway this is my favourite argonath picture its by ted nasmith.. look at the water and the light

k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: October 30, 2003 01:15
assignment 18- the breaking of the fellowship

ah the last chapter of FotR.. *sobs* but dont worry, i will be back with a new thread to illustrated the two towers for the 3 people or so that read this *cheers* sorry for the delay on this one guys.. i completely forgot to check the date of the assignment :blush: :dizzy:

boromir and frodo talk...

this first image is by katrin chmiel, its one of Figgy's faves i believe, i also rather like it. well boromir at least. frodo looks quite "skater dude" for some reason in this

now although boromir looks a little scary in this one, i do like frodo and the detail in this pic is wonderful!! its by Nasmith of course

regonise these guys from the random block?? hee hee its of course by John Howe.

this scene is very well illustrated... seems to be one that everyone likes to paint, so theres lots more images of this bit of the book around. unfortunately i cant find any of sam and frodo sailing off into the distance..

Figwit
Send Message
on: October 30, 2003 01:56
yup yup, thát is how I pictured Boromir!
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email