Register

Author Topic:
Rivka
Frodo Fanatic and Head Oligarch
Send Message
Post Realm FAQ
on: August 05, 2003 11:27
So, what's the point of all this?

You've probably noticed that the site is getting gigantically huge, with over 13,000 members. It's hard to feel close to other members on a site this big, so the idea is that by creating Realms, people with similar interests can find each other, and help build closely knit communities.

But...what do you actually do?

Because the Realms are so new, we don't have a lot planned yet for some of the Realms. But, each Realm has its own forum where they can discuss anything they want (while still abiding by site rules, of course). Online group activities, such as Skrabble, Pictionary, chat times, and other fun stuff, will probably be planned by your Realm Head. Some Realms are already starting on special projects just for their Realms to be involved in. And of course, once you join a Realm, you can submit any activity suggestions you can think of to your Realm Head & Leaders.

I want to help my Realm!

That's what we like to hear Each Realm has a Head (appointed from with the admin or mod staff), but there are also two Realm Leader positions for each Realm, taken from the general membership of the site. One Realm Leader is appointed by the Head, and the other is voted for by that Realm's members. Both serve 3-month terms, and may not serve more than two terms. If you prove yourself a valuable asset to your Realm, it's possible you may become a Realm Leader.

Why'd you choose the Valar for the Realms?

We wanted to find something that would be interesting, but not divisive. Going with something like races of Elves, Hobbits, & Men might have promoted name calling and rudeness, and one group would have gotten the majority of members Other ideas were floated around, but we finally chose the Valar because each of them had unique and interesting characteristics that members could identify with, without being divisive. In addition, we hoped to introduce people to an aspect of Tolkien's world that a lot of people aren't that familiar with!

Why so many rules in the charters?

The Realms are supposed to be something to bring people together, not tear them apart or cause problems. That means, we don't want people saying stuff like "My Realm is better than yours!" or "Those people in ______ are ____" or anything else that could be construed as factious. Any such behavior will be swiftly and harshly dealt with, so be warned!

What are Realm points?

Every a time a site member is given user points, if they are a member of a Realm, their Realm will be given Realm points as well. Every month or so, we will award Ilúvatar's Sceptre to the Realm with the highest number of points, and clear the point totals.

How do I know which Realm to join?

Read up on all the different Realms by visiting their pages in the Realms section. You can take the Valar quiz, too, to see which ones are the closest fit for you (though you're not obliged to pick the one that the quiz says is best for you!) If you know any members within that Realm, you can contact them and ask them how they like their Realm, too.
"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."
FallenAngel26
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Post RE: Realm FAQ
on: August 15, 2003 07:05
After joining a realm, is it still possible to come back to the main site? I don't know if I want to be limited to only a realm...
foshpickle~greenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 15, 2003 09:28
I dunno if it's alright for me to answer you... but... after you join a realm you can still see the rest of the site, if that's what you mean.
FallenAngel26
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 17, 2003 05:48
Thanks, foshpickle~greenleaf!!

One more question:

Can we view the site as we do without the realms? Like, is there contact with the people outside of the realm we choose?
Eloise
Giver of Smores
Send Message
on: August 17, 2003 06:08
The only real diference to the site (well as far as I can see) is that you get an extra forum that only the members of your realm can go in. You can still pm people in other realms or talk to them on the forums.
Gilraen
Renaissance Elf
Send Message
on: August 19, 2003 08:07
Exactly, Eloise! Your access to the rest of the site outside of the Realms will be just as it has always been, as will your contact with other site members.
Falcon
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 25, 2003 11:28
I've joined a realm but nothing seems to be happening. Where are the realm forums? What are you meant to actually do within your realm?
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: August 26, 2003 04:07
Falcon- if i changed your name then you have to contact your realm admin - explain the situation and ask them to delete you so you can sign up again.

sign up again to the original realm you chose and then you should see your realm forum in the same section on the board index as the general realms discussion forum.

enjoy
Azaelia_Of_Willowbottom
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 06, 2003 10:46
Are realms free? Or will I have to pay money to be in one? I looked, and nothing is said about it...? I can't join a realm if it costs money...
iLikeLOTRaLittle2much
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 06, 2003 10:53
No No No... no cost! It's just a way for all of us CoEers to get to know eachother a little better. Feel free to join one for free. LoL
Azaelia_Of_Willowbottom
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 06, 2003 03:28
Yay! I certainly will!
Valaöré
Servant of the Valar
Send Message
on: September 06, 2003 04:36
Rhovanian, in some cases, it isn't necessary to have two leaders. For instance, Nessa only has one leader at the moment because we only have 12 members. In December, when the leadership positions will be picked again, there might be enough members to elect someone. At the moment, there's not really a lot to look after in our Realm. If both Little2 and I were to leave for a few days, we'd let our members know, and perhaps ask for a volunteer to mind the ship while we're gone.
Azaelia_Of_Willowbottom
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 13, 2003 04:01
How do I get the realm insignia to show up in my sig? I tried entering the coding, but it didn't work. When the page automatically reloaded, nothing had changed, and the code was gone. I can't seem to do anything at all to my sig, for that matter. :dizzy: Please help me!!
haldir_of_lorien
King of the Dead
Send Message
on: September 13, 2003 04:12
Well I don't know which realm you are in but the basic code is... "

~Haldir
Lotr~Spidey
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 15, 2003 05:59
When you first join a realm, do the user points you already possess go towards the realm points? Or just the points you gain [/i]after[i] you join?
Mirlomien
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: September 15, 2003 06:14
Just the points you earn after you join.
AEvenstar
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 10, 2003 05:41
Ummm.... when do you award a Realm for the most user points?
lindele
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 31, 2003 05:55
So, what happens if you join a realm and you hate it? Can you quit, or is this like a lifetime commitment?
haldir_of_lorien
King of the Dead
Send Message
on: December 31, 2003 11:20
Noooo, after 3 months you can switch Realms. If you don't like the other one you can switch again in 3 months etc. etc.

~Haldir
Arien_Aldaríon
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 05, 2004 06:05
I just joined the Realm of Orome or something, but it's not there under the Realm section in the forums. I've already tried logging in and out again and it says I'm a member on the members list. What's wrong? Thanks
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: January 05, 2004 07:33
contact your realm leader they should be able to manually add you to the who can veiw the forum list...
Arien_Aldaríon
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 10, 2004 05:00
OK, will do.
AnorieltheElf
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 13, 2004 05:05
How do we join new realm when we want to?
atalante_star
Scholar of Imladris and Theodens Lady
Send Message
on: January 13, 2004 06:11
It's easy Just decide which realm you'd like to join, and then go to the main page of the realms section. A link to the correct page is here.

Then, under each of the Realms, there is a tab called "Join". Click there!
13LegolasesGirl17
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 16, 2004 03:54
OK..i did see this qeustion asked or answered.. if it was please forgive me:

How do you find/Join a realm?
ElenAlasse
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 16, 2004 03:57
On the Left Side bar thing, there's Community put your mouse over it then go down to Realms and Click! Then You can Pick the Realm that you want! (There's also a Realm quiz if you're not sure which Realm you would like)
I hope that that helps you!!
~Elen
13LegolasesGirl17
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 16, 2004 08:23
thanks Elen! *goes to look *
Al
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 11, 2004 04:09
ive gotten the impression that your only suppossed to be able to enter the realm you joined- but i can enter and write in any forum! (i havent- but i just have noticed that i could )
am i supossed to be able to do that?:dizzy:
NenyaGold
Legend of Lothlórien & Head Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
on: February 11, 2004 05:44
Al ~ The only Realm you should be able to see is your own, Estë. It should be located just below this General Realms Discussion Forum and labeled Realm of Estë The Gentle. All the rest of the Forums on this main page are open to all CoE members.

If you can see any other Forums that say Realm of Mandos, or Realm of Nessa or similar titles, then yes, there is a problem and you should not be able to do that. If this is the case, I suggest you PM Rivka.
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: February 12, 2004 06:39
oh AL dont worry too much about it- i see a bunch of realms too (9 right now but im going to collect all 12 im sure ) Rivka has had a thorough look through and as yet we cant work out why i can see realms im not a member of....

i suggest ignoring them (which you have been doing already it seems) and focusing only on your realm. There is a way to remove them but its a very long and annoying process- and they only come back again.
Al
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 12, 2004 03:25
thanx!
Celedë_Anthaas
Stargazer of Ithilien
Send Message
on: March 06, 2004 11:21
I know some of the Realms have activities and stuff going on. I would like to join a realm, but I can't be online that much so I can't work that much and join the activities.
My question is: Can I still join a realm even if I can't do that much???
Nauma
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 06, 2004 11:54
Sure! You're not required to participate in any particular activity in your Realm (although we sure like it if you do!). It's totally up to you how much you want to do in the way of activities. Even if you just hang around to talk and meet some people, you'd be welcome in a Realm.
Caegaraneva
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 13, 2004 02:18
THis may sound a little stupid....but i joined a realm that doesn't rally fit me, i haven't been too active in it, and i am pretty sure it has been three months. how do I get out of it, because i am interested in finding a realm more like me.

[Edited on 14/5/2004 by Caegaraneva]
Lady~Eowyn
Illusionary Heart
Send Message
on: May 13, 2004 02:38
All you do is go to another realm and join that realm. If you haven't been three months then the page will tell you.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email