12345Last >>
Author Topic:
Faramirs_first_kiss
Mearhwine Namsmið
Send Message
Post Which realm should I join?
on: August 27, 2003 07:21
How do I know which Realm to join?
Read up on all the different Realms by visiting their pages in the Realms section. You can take the Valar quiz, too, to see which ones are the closest fit for you (though you're not obliged to pick the one that the quiz says is best for you!) If you know any members within that Realm, you can contact them and ask them how they like their Realm, too.

There is Rivka's advice from the FAQ, but it's still not an easy choice. I for one can't make up my mind between three or four realms and the results of the quiz were, for such a bizzarre individual as myself, somewhat indecisive. So I thought it might be a good idea to start a thread where people can get advice about which realm would be right for them from people who are already joined up, and maybe the realm leaders could post the traits of their realm members here so people can find them all in one place.

Please don't post saying, Join such-and-such-a-realm, it's the best! It's not helpful to anyone and completely against the idea of the realms. Also, it won't work if you're not honest. Tell us the truth about yourself so we can tell you which realm would suit you the best.

I'll get the ball rolling:

At school/work: I'm academic and hard working and try to keep out of trouble.
In my free time: I enjoy drama, writing (especially on the RPGs) and reading. I also like to design and make things, but I don't have the artistic talent I'd like and I'm often disappointed with the end results of my drawings. I am, regrettably, not a sporty person, although some of the most fun I've ever had was on various camps with my youth group.
With my friends and family: With my friends, I like to go shopping or bowling, or to the cinema, although we have extremely varying tastes in films. We're all very different people but although we occasionally go through moments of getting on each other's nerves we're always still friends at the end. I get on relatively well with my family and proper arguments are rare. When tempers fray, no matter who I'm with, I always try to wait it out and not say anything unforgivable.
In the future: I want to get a job in designing and making props or scenery for films. WETA would be ideal!
My personality: I'm a little "open mouth, insert foot", especially around new people. I'm a bit of a know it all and hate to be wrong. Generally, though, I'm quite tolerant and will get on with anyone who is prepared to get on with me. I'm quite practical despite having my head in the clouds whenever I can. I seem to be less moody overall than a lot of the people around me, although I'm not what you call bubbly.

Well, there you have it. Any suggestions, or more unsure people looking for help? Post here!

Kiss
iLikeLOTRaLittle2much
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Which realm should I join?
on: August 27, 2003 04:55
How about the Realm of Aulë? I see that you are a fun-loving, creative person... and in the Aule charter it says:
While all Realms seek to achieve the same basic purpose, the characteristics of each Realm set them apart from the others. In the Realm of Aulë, members are known for designing and creating new and unique elements, spreading knowledge to those around them, and delighting in all works of skill, large or small, both their own and of others. Some of the traits which set members of this Realm apart are unbounded creativity, honesty, faithfulness, and humor.

That may interest you. But, if you're looking for something mroe on the peaceful side, there's always the Realm of Vairë. Some of it's characteristics include:
-history
-stories
-patient
-artistic
-quiet
-peace
-timelessness

Which also sounds somewhat like you, with the stories and the creativity, and all. And then there's always the Realm of Nessa
Hope that helped!

*little2*
ArwenplusAragornForever
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 01, 2003 06:36
Join the Realm of Nessa!!!
TheLadyArwen
Gallery Shirriff
Send Message
on: September 01, 2003 02:40
Kiss, you could also probably join one Realm and if you're not happy with it, try another. It's a bit goofy that way, but it might be easier to figure out what's right for you. For me, I found the quiz confusing so I just ignored it and went with what sounded best. Or, look at the list of Realm members. There might be certain members in a specific Realm that you know well or would like to get to know better.
iLikeLOTRaLittle2much
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 01, 2003 04:05
Kiss, you could also probably join one Realm and if you're not happy with it, try another. It's a bit goofy that way, but it might be easier to figure out what's right for you.

Actually, once you join a realm, you can't switch to another one for the following 3 months after you have joined a realm, so... I wouldn't recomend that.

[Edited on 9/4/2003 by iLikeLOTRaLittle2much]
Ainulindale
Last Homely Housekeeper
& Gallery Shirriff

Send Message
on: September 01, 2003 07:18
Join the realm where people you know are in, that way you can have more fun!

The quiz narrowed it down to three for me, so it was still a rather hard choice.

If all else fails, pick one with a pretty sig pic.
Alaere_Dûnhilien
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 01, 2003 10:25
Lol! I took the quiz three times, and I got different results each time. I studied the realms I got most a bit harder than the others, and finally decided to pick Vairës realm, since not only did it appear in my top three twice, I also love the old tales and myths in Silmarillion. I've never really been into RL history, but I cannot seem to get enough of the history of Middle Earth!
Deciding is hard, since usually we have several character traits, and interests, that would fit different realms. I think the only thing you need to decide is which trait or interest is most important to you, and take the realm that fits that one best. Of course, you could also do the opposite: choose a realm with characteristics that don't fit you that well, because you want to develop and explore that particular aspect of your personality more?
I do hope this doesn't make it even more confusing lol!
Little2 summed it up very well for you; indeed those two realms seem to fit you. Anyway, I'm in Vairë's realm, and if you would decide to join us, you'll be very welcome, I'm sure. Actually, both your writing and designing skills would fit with us fine, since Vairë is the one that weaves all the history into her tapestry. Your way of dealing with arguments (and a very sensible one too!) seems to indicate patience, maybe even quiet, but definitely peace!
In any case, I wish you good luck in choosing the right realm!

Alaere
TheLadyArwen
Gallery Shirriff
Send Message
on: September 03, 2003 11:29
Actually, once you join a realm, you can't switch to another one for the next 2 months, so... I wouldn't recomend that.

I know that, but sometimes it's easier for people to actually try something out instead of just reading about it or listening to what someone else says about it. That's why I said it was a goofy way to do it. I was thinking that when I joined Lorien because I was stuck between two.

And don't you have to stay in a realm for 3 months?
iLikeLOTRaLittle2much
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 03, 2003 04:05
Ah, yes... 3 months, not two! LoL... I should know better! I'll go edit my earier post.
Tabby_Brandybuck
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 10, 2003 12:28
None of your realms seem very geared to those of us who are actors and actressess, what would you recommend for them???
Alaere_Dûnhilien
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 10, 2003 08:47
Let's see.... Acting, that's one of the more creative arts, isn't it? Actually, what is acting, other than a way of telling a story? I'd look for a realm that has to do with stories, I think. Like the realm of Vairë; a few of our characteristics are creativity, peace, timelessness, love for history, legends and lore...
Or, what is a movie, or a play, other than a 'moving work of art'? If you look upon it that way, the realm of Aulë might be good for you; a few of their characteristics are unbound creativity, creating new and unique things, delighting in all works of skill...
Oh! I don't know if you can sing, but when the Elves sung their tales and songs, all the others could see the story develop before their eyes. The Elvish way of acting? If you also have a love for the sea, then the realm of Ulmo is maybe the one for you?

And most likely you have more personality traits that might help you to decide... By the way, have you tried to take the quiz yet? I've done it several times, and I made my choice depending on those results (i.e. the realm that came back in the top three most).

Happy choosing!
Alaere
Lozza
Elven Huntress
Send Message
on: September 23, 2003 06:48
That quiz isn't so good, I can't decide which answer to pick in several spots...

Anyone have any suggestions??? I don't mind joining a realm where I don't know anyone because I can make friends. So where does everyone think I should go.

I enjoy sport - all kinds but my favourite is rhythmic gymnastics which I competed in until last year when I tore some muscles.

I enjoy reading and writing - fantasy and sci-fi. I hope to get published one day.

I also enjoy designing things - that's why I'm studying engineering.

I love learning languages.

I love maths and science and star gazing (I'm an amature astronomer)

And I have a real passion for ancient history.

Any ideas???

Alaere_Dûnhilien
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 23, 2003 09:19
Wow, Lozza! You're a many-sided person indeed, and I can see why it would be hard for you to decide on a realm, cause you'd fit in several!
Let's see....

*Sports, and rhythmic gymnastics specifically.... The realm of Tulkas? He's the runner. If you competed, you must surely be good... Or even the realm of his wife Nessa, since she likes to run with the deer, and she delights in dancing (doesn't that resemble your gymnastics a tad bit? Simplistically put: any way of moving rhythmically, is dancing?).

*Your writing skills, combined with star gazing, would surely fit in the realm of Varda, I think. I don't know if you write poetry, but I think good stories are as valuable as good poems, and vice versa of course.
However, the writing skills, combined with your passion for ancient history also make you perfect for the realm of Vairë! And, by the way, at the realm of Vairë are several people who enjoy learning languages, we've even started up a Sindarin thread, where we try to speak Sindarin with each other. Just for your information

*Anyways, you also enjoy designing things, sounds like works of skill to my ears... The realm of Aulë delights in creativity (your writings?) and skill (engineering? Even the maths and sciences could fit here, I think)...

Any of these realms would gladly welcome you, I'm absolutely sure of it. Which one of all those talents is your favorite? Or, which combination? I guess you could also try several realms, just to find out what's it like there, though it is not recommended. And don't forget: once you join a realm, you're a member for at least three months.
Whichever you eventually choose, I wish you good luck!

Regards,
Alaere
Happy_Hobbit
Huggable Hobbit
Send Message
on: September 24, 2003 09:19
Well Lozza I would say that your love of stars would draw you to the Realms of either Estë or Varda.

We are busy building a Star Map, so perhaps you might like to help with that, We have a rich mixture of writing styles and two active writing threads that might appeal to you.

We are hoping to get to work soon on a Quenyan Crossword for the games section. That might appeal to your love of language, we already have a popular word game running.

I thought if I gave you an insite into the kinds of things Estë is doing it might be more helpful than just the general description.

Which ever realm you decide on I am sure you will find many threads and post to participate in and enjoy.

Good Luck and Huggles

[Edited on 25/9/2003 by Happy_Hobbit]
TheLadyArwen
Gallery Shirriff
Send Message
on: September 29, 2003 07:46
I would just like to make a little note for those of you that are still undecided. There's been a bit of confusion in the Realm of Lorien. This realm is not the Elvish realm of Lothlorien from Middle Earth. So for anyone out there that's thinking of joining Lorien, please remember that it's the realm of the Valar Lorien and not Lothlorien. I hope that clears up any confusion. Thank you.

~tla
Summoner_Yuna
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 04, 2004 10:46
I don't know what Realm to pick either. I'm known to be random. People say have a great sense of humor. I love to write poetry. I go to the batting cage almost everyday. I like puzzles and riddles. I like animals alot. I'm obsessed with RPing. My favorite LotR is Ents. I love nature. Around friends, I am a bit crazy. I like Math alot. I'm totally obsessed with music and singing. I'm known to sing in stores. I like to draw. I like looking at things in different views and seeing outside of the box. I like small communities and being able to know everyone in it. So I'd like a Realm with not so many members.... So....What Realm is good for me? Thanks for the help...
TheLadyArwen
Gallery Shirriff
Send Message
on: January 04, 2004 11:12
I love to write poetry.

Lorien, though this realm is quite large.

I'm totally obsessed with music and singing.

Ulmo, but this one is pretty big too.

I love nature.

Lorien or Yavanna.

I like small communities and being able to know everyone in it. So I'd like a Realm with not so many members....

Stay away from Varda then! I think that's the largest realm at the moment. Vairë and Manwë are pretty small.

Also, try the quiz. Even if you don't go with the results it's nice to see the descriptions of each realm.

If I had to choose a realm for you I would pick Yavanna. Where everything grows, including music and light... Or take the few that fit you, put their names in a hat, and then draw one.
jessamyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 20, 2004 06:58
I'm really new to the RPGing, Realms bit and I'm looking around and reading up as much as poss. about them. I've taken the quiz, but it really does'nt make too much sense. I'm from New Zealand and did have the wonderful experience of actually working on LOTR. Right now I'm on a temporary sabatical in Canada. I work as a designer and fabric artist. I also write and love to do real-life role playing with medieval groups. I'm very much into ancient history and archaeology. I used to enjoy rock climbing (can't do it now due to a gammy leg) and I love to sail. Any ideas for a realm for me? All replies will receive a smile. and lots of consideration.:blush:
~One_of_the_Dunedain~
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 29, 2004 06:04
Hi I need a little help deciding which realm is right for me too!
I'm already in a realm but need help seeing if this is the right realm for me and what other realms I could try out.

I'm a hard worker and determined in everything I do.
My hobbies are acting, singing, dancing, and riding my scooter.
If I see even the slightest zit on my face I freak out and put on 10 times too much concealor.
I also like reading, cooking, and hanging out with my friends.
I'm shy on the outside but outgoing friendly and funny once you get to know me.
I'm trying very hard to learn Quenya.
I care a LOT what other people think about me, although I wish I wouldn't.
I don't care what someone looks like as long as they're kind and friendly. Some people call me a drama queen.
I couldn't stand a single DAY without my computer.

Can someone please help?
atalante_star
Scholar of Imladris and Theodens Lady
Send Message
on: February 29, 2004 07:27
If you have already joined a Realm, you have to stay there for 3 months before you can swap around. So I'd enjoy whichever Realm you are in for the time being.

If you really don't like it there, try the Realm Quiz (on the front page of the Realms Section) or read the characteristics of each Realm - again in the Realms Section
~One_of_the_Dunedain~
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 29, 2004 07:51
I've given it some thought, actually a LOT of thought and I decided that after my 3 months are up I'll join the realm of Mandos since the results of the quiz were: 41.67% Aule the Smith! 41.67% The realm of Mandos!
And then I'll decide which I like more, Aule or Mandos
Celedë_Anthaas
Stargazer of Ithilien
Send Message
on: March 06, 2004 11:47
I'd love to join a Realm, but I don't know which.
I like animals, nature, painting, drawing, reading (especially Tolkien), writing and (when nobody is listening of course ) singing(but I really can't sing!).
I'm a bit shy, and even though I have lots of friends, I can only talk about my secrets with one of them.
My grades are quite good, I really like ancient history and languages. I'm learning Quenya right now. I like sports too, especially badminton (but I really hate watching sports on TV or something, I have to play myself).
I don't care much about my looks, I hate shopping ( I guess I'm one of the only teenage girls who does ) .
I'm a peaceful person, and I always try to find peaceful solutions to problems.
I also like the moon and the stars.

In the quiz, I usually get Varda 50% , Mandos and Aulë 41,67% and Estë and Manwë 33,33% (something like that at least).
Which realm would be the best for me??
Morlothwen
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 07, 2004 11:15
Celede_Anthaas, nice to meet you! I'm glad you joined the site! Anyway, if you like the moon and the stars you should join Varda. If you are into singing, nature, and animals Nessa fits into that catergory. If you mainly like singing Yavanna goes under that catergory. Painting, drawing, and reading will probably be the Realm of Aule. Those are the four that I would give a try. To narrow it down, I would choose which one of these aspects are most important to you. If you need any other help or questions just PM me. Tell me which Realm you decide to join! Also, I have to point this out, are you into bigger or smaller Realms? Because if you are into bigger or smaller I can narrow it down alittle more for you.
haldir_of_lorien
King of the Dead
Send Message
on: March 07, 2004 11:29
Just to add a little about Mandos:
-being truthful
-concerned with fairness
-enjoyment of Knowledge/Learning
-having patience
-humor (and lots of it)

A few things we will specialize in include:
-playing LotR games and writing *good* reviews on them.
-Coming up with suggestions for new plausible things to put in the games section of the site.
-Being model citizens and helping to acclimate newbies. Cause they need love too.
-Brainstorming new ideas for the humor section and writing humorous articles, parodies, or photoshopping various LotR pictures.
-Not everyone is funny (well actually they are, but they may not REALIZE it...)

Well, that's about it. I would go with whatever you feel most coinsides with your interests.

~Haldir
KeoLin
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 09, 2004 05:00
OKie pokie *hee hee that tickles*

I am interested in joining a realm. I am not sure what "joining a realm" entails.

a lil about myself:

I am 22, female, addicted to beading, loves to read, write, draw, take photos, play sports, hugs, honesty (no matter how blunt), addicted to the internet (though not as much as in the past), i am a registered nurse, i dont give bed baths other than to patients who really need them, i like being around people, i love to learn new and interesting information, i am good at walking into walls/corners, i love playing the sims, computers are my friend... i like a good laugh...

I have neglected my creativity lately (ie the last 3 yrs) as i was at uni studying, learning which is my other love I have read about the two main realms that "suit" me, but i was hoping that i could get some more info on what it means to be in a realm, specifiic to the realms. please pm me about your realm.

I am just slightly losing my mind atm with stress and sadness. so please be gentle
atalante_star
Scholar of Imladris and Theodens Lady
Send Message
on: March 09, 2004 07:16
You're probably not going to like this - but joining a realm can mean whatever you want it to

Each Realm is a sub-set of the site, with the idea that people who have the same interests / ideals join similar realms. Each realm has a forum which can only be seen by realm members.

Now, what's in that forum is dependent on the Realm Head, the Realm leaders - and the realm members more than anything. But, for example, in my realm, we have an extraordinarily silly and amusing role play, a few games, talk about nature and the environment, a thread for poems etc. Other realms will have different things.

Most realms also have realm chats.

So ... joining a realm can mean anything from popping along to the forum every now and again, to permanently camping out on the forum. And hopefully meeting some new people / friends.

Maybe you'd like to post up which 2 realms you're thinking about - then we could help you decide
Celedë_Anthaas
Stargazer of Ithilien
Send Message
on: March 09, 2004 07:51
Well, atalante just said about everything...
Anyway, after reading about all the realms, I decided to join the Realm of Varda.

Qualities of a member of the Realm of Varda are among other things:

- being devoted to beauty
- being a lover of the nature
- being given to poetry
- being fond of art, whether in painting, drawing, acting, sculping, writing, or simply... art
- enjoying the simplest things, like reading Tolkien in a rainy afternoon
- being enchanted by waterfalls
- finding completion in the stars

And KeoLin, I sent you a PM!

[Edited on 11/3/2004 by Celedë_Anthaas]
Tyrhael
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 14, 2004 09:08
I'm having an extreme difficulty deciding which Realm to join: I've narrowed it down to (in some order): Oromë, Ulmo, Vairë, and Varda.

What I'd like to know is if there are any things (i.e. activities, games, traits, etc. not listed in the Realms pages.) For example, I heard that the Realm of Vairë does stuff with languages, but the Realm page said nothing of that sort.

About myself:
I like tall mountains and deep caves, I love nature and the woods, and enjoy making original things with my own hands, whether they be crafts, or art - drawings, poems, stories, songs, music, etc. I like music, and enjoy writing and playing it, as well as listening to it. I am very tolerant and love helping people, and try to be tactful and polite.
I also like history and stories, and enjoy all kinds of art. Additionally, I try to be friendly and optimistic, and love simple things, and the stars.

I considered Manwë, Nienna, Tulkas, Aulë, and Vána as well, but decided I liked the Realms of Oromë, Ulmo, Vairë, and Varda the most. So far, I think the Realm of Ulmo is on top because I don't really know much about what the other 3 do, and what they are like.

Would anyone belonging to one of those 4 Realms care to tell me what they like about their Realm, and what it is exactly that they do? (If you are able).
Also, I'd welcome any comments (helpful or not) and/or feedback from anyone.

- Tyrhaelas ah Indhael
Nauma
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 14, 2004 09:24

You might consider Yavanna, too. We have a lot of musicians, and we're big on nature too. We play some forum games, have an rpg, and are working on a virtual garden website as well as the Council of Entwives interrealm tree-planting project.

I know one of the hardest things about joining a Realm is that none of them fit *all* your interests, but many fit some. It can help to get to know some people in the Realms you're thinking of joining, to see how you fit with them and to get a better idea of what life in a Realm is like. Some Realms meet in Realm chat; you might ask if and when they're meeting and whether you could jump in for a taste. Keep an eye out for people with Realm insignias in their sigs and get to know them. Knowing who you're going to be in a Realm with might help you make the decision of which Realm to join.
Gaerlass
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 14, 2004 01:06
Ok, let's just get right to the point...I want to join a Realm! But I have NO CLUE which one to join. I tried taking the quiz, but like I've heard a lot of other people saying, it doesn't offer an amazing amount of help. I've read the overviews for all of them and it seems like I could fit comfortably in most of them. What I would like to know is what would I be responsible for when I join a Realm, what would I do with the other members, and how are the Realms really that different? If anyone could help me I'd be very grateful (and I might even end up joining YOUR Realm !!)
Gaerlass
Dodo
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 24, 2004 01:28
*waves shyly* Anyone here?

So...after weeks of trying to make up my mind and trying to find out which realm to join I finally realized I need help.
I'm so bad at making decisions. *sigh*

So...here are some facts about moi:
First of all I'm a nature person. I recently moved to a city and I feel totally trapped. I just need nature. I love the sky and the ocean..and CLIFFS.
I also love all kinds of animals which is probably the reason why I'm a vegetarian.

My friends say I'm creative...I don't know. I just like to create stuff. I especially like drawing and making graphics on my computer.
I also like music a lot and I love to dance. Unfortunately I cannot sing.
Hm what else? I talk. A Lot. Sometimes it's hard to get me to stop. Not that this is important...eh yeah..I start rambling again.. but I like learning foreign languages.
I just basiacly like to learn and to teach others the things I learned( actually I'm studying to become a teacher)
And I like to read...and write.
I think that's it for now...or at least I hope so.

So...is anyone able to point me in any direction?
Help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance and take care
Dodo
Lady~Eowyn
Illusionary Heart
Send Message
on: March 24, 2004 01:37
Did you take the quiz? If you didn't then maybe you should

Hmmm I would either direct you to the Realm of Varda (the realm I'm in ) or the Realm of Nessa. But the quiz is most helpful
Dodo
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 25, 2004 01:52
Yes I did take the quiz. Several times... since I couldn't pick just one answer. :blush:
So I got different results which really didn't help me much.

Actually Varda was my fist choice. The thing that stopped me from joining was the member list. It looks kinda crowded over there and I was afraid that it's too easy to be overlooked in there. So what would you say? Is the member thing a problem?

Thank you soo much for your help btw.
Nauma
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 25, 2004 03:04
The length of the members list can be a little deceptive. Yavanna, and probably most larger Realms, have many more members than *active* members. If you are a regular participant in the community, you shouldn't have any trouble with being lost in the crowd.
Lady~Eowyn
Illusionary Heart
Send Message
on: March 25, 2004 05:15
Yes Nauma is right, Varda is crowded, but there aren't a whole lot of 'active' members . You won't be overlooked there.
12345Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email