Register

<< First45678Last >>
Author Topic:
Fíriel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
Post RE: Tips For Newbies !!
on: December 05, 2004 02:09
To put it simply, the three dots in most modes represent the vowel A, and other accents usually represent similar vowels. However, there's much more to it than this, so I recommend that your read more Tengwar resources such as the Tengwar Guides at Mellonath Daeron.
Loswen_of_Tatharion
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 06, 2004 04:24
Thanks so much!
That really helped me
MelannenMedliwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 26, 2005 06:30
After reading a few lessons from both the Quenya and Sindarin workbook, I noticed somethig: Quenya is like Latin and Sindarin is like aincient Greek! Lucky me! I've got 4,5 years of experience with Latin and 2 years of experience with ancient Greek! The Greek is quite a while ago though. So I've decided to learn them both, starting with Quenya. That's going to take quite a while though. Luckily, I don't mind.
Iserana
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 02, 2005 01:57
:'( I'm trying to do the Sindarin workbook but I don't know how it works. I'm terribly confused! Do you have to send it in through mail or something? You can't type anything on the page.
~Confused, and embarassed~
PS I know this is not a FAQ forum but I just had to put it on here! It's related to Quenya and Sindarin after all..
Fíriel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: February 02, 2005 01:21
Hi Iserana,

you don't send it by mail -- you do the exercise, click the 'Save/Submit Exercise' button, and you check the same page every few days or so to see if one of the Languages Staff has marked it and left comments. I'm not sure what you mean by not being able to type anything -- can you access and fill in the boxes in the Exercise for Lesson One? Try doing so, and we'll see if it works -- I help mark the exercises.

Fíriel
Iserana
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 05, 2005 07:36
hannon le! I'll try.
By the way, in Sindarin horse is roch. What is the plural of horse? Thanks

[Edited on 6/2/2005 by Iserana]
Iserana
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 05, 2005 09:05
I'm so sorry I'm peppering all of you with questions, but for the workbook do we only to the things they say to do under Exercises? Because in Lesson 1 at the top it says to do the accent or whatever...
great, I'm always gloomy lol!
Fíriel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: February 06, 2005 01:01
Hi Iserana,

I've marked your exercise for Exercise 1 -- go and have a look.

By the way, in Sindarin horse is roch. What is the plural of horse?

It would be rych -- Os in single-syllable words likely umlaut to Y.

for the workbook do we only to the things they say to do under Exercises?

Yes. Just do what each Exercise asks you to do.

Fíriel
Iserana
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 06, 2005 02:51
hannon le mellon nin!!!
Iserana
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 06, 2005 02:57
I'll be in Busan for this Korean tradition thingie for Lunar New YEar so I won't be able to come here a lot. Sorry about that. Oh and I caught you in a transition period?
And do I just erase everything and do it again, or do I just edit it and view it again, etc.? Yea I love to pepper you with questions muahahaha! I love driving people crazy (especially my friends! they're Regnirs!)!
So thank you, and see you later!
Namarie!

LATER...
I just corrected it and you will see something I just added onto on notes...Should I check it as complete?
It'll take eternity, huh....*not a question you have to answer*

[Edited on 7/2/2005 by Iserana]
featari_telcontar
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 11, 2005 07:49
How do you say goodbye in Sindarin?

Adios ,
Featari
Iserana
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 12, 2005 12:51
one is namarie, the other is navaer.
Naneth
Elvish 101 Moderator
Send Message
on: February 12, 2005 06:11
Whoops .... "namárië" is Quenya, not Sindarin.
Iserana
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 20, 2005 12:28
oops...
LoremasterMiar
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 22, 2005 03:48
Hey, I'm new to the site, but have been a MASSIVE Tolkien fan for many years. Naturally I want to master the Sindarian tongue, but I am in some confusion of the route I should be taking. I also believe that learning Elvish will also help me out with a Modern Foreign Language I am taking, particularly in speaking and pronunciation.
Having already viewed the guide I am still unclear on the direction to take next. Can you guys offer any advice?

Fíriel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: February 23, 2005 01:23
Err... very few people have mastered the Sindarin tongue (one reason being there's not enough of it to master), but a thorough way of studying Sindarin might be studying through the lessons here (which should give one a general understanding of Sindarin and what we know of it), seeking out alternate views and opinions (some would suggest Thorsten Renk's course, and then there are the articles at http://sindarin.weet.us/, Ardalambion, and Gwaith-i-Phethdain), getting your hands on material written by Tolkien himself, such as the Etymologies & other HOME essays, etc... It's very hard to sum up in a few sentences what 'route' (if any!) should be taken.

(As for languages, yes, studying the Elvish tongues will help, as would any other language.)

LoremasterMiar
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 24, 2005 11:02
Thanks, much better!
arual88
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 02, 2005 06:47
Hiya everyone!
I've been a member of this site for a while now, but have only just found time to start studying Sindarin. I just wanted to say that I'm really enjoying the lessons, and thank you Firiel for marking all my work
Rowanleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 14, 2005 08:59
Thank you very much for the study guides, they're a great help! Does anybody have an idea of where I can get a hardcopy dictionary? I think that that's why my Sindarin isn't progressing well; I've always needed a dictionary when learning languages.

P.S. Hi, everyone. I'm new to this place, but I can already tell it's great. I'm a recent Tolkien fan, and don't know that much yet, but I'm hoping to learn.
Fíriel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: March 18, 2005 01:09
Does anybody have an idea of where I can get a hardcopy dictionary?

I don't think any printed dictionaries currently exist. There are vocabulary lists and wordlists, but they're likely not as thorough and extensive as dictionaries are. Besides, online dictionaries (such as DragonFlame) are easier to update. However, if you really need a printed copy, there are printable versions of COE's Sindarin dictionary compilation in the Languages section.

P.S. :wave:

[Edited on 18/3/2005 by Fíriel]
Flappie112
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 19, 2005 06:29
Firiel, I've been studying the online dictionary and I must say that I am really ovverthrown by the amount of words Tolkien just made up!!
Anyways, I wanted to say that I copied your dictionary to Word and I changed the layout of the whole. I made the words stand alone and the meanings come two tabs after. Now it's a little more synoptic and clear. Not to offend you or anything!! But I thought it would help.
Maybe I can send it to you and you can have a look?
aragorn6969
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 26, 2005 05:38
what does "auta miqula orqu" mean someone told me that and they wouldnt tell me what it meant

Elvish 101 Moderator
Send Message
on: March 26, 2005 02:25
Flappie112, is your revision of the dictionary much different from the printable one on this page:
http://www.councilofelrond.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Content&file=index&action=ViewContent&cid=6

If it is and you'd like me to look at it, send me a PM, ok ??
Fíriel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: March 30, 2005 02:06
Aragorn, 'auta miqula orqu' is Grelvish for 'go kiss an orc'. We don't like Grelvish, and there are perfectly fine Sindarin equivalents for that phrase (e.g. míbo orch!)... What is Grelvish? A pidgin-like language which is a mix of Sindarin & Quenya, and greatly simplified. It's to be avoided as much as possible.
arwen_evenstar69
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 31, 2005 01:00
how do you put the pictures on the side under your name???
Fíriel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: March 31, 2005 01:17
Arwen, the pictures at the left-hand side are called avatars, and anybody can use one. To choose one, simply go to My Account > Change your info > Change Avatar, and there you can click on the avatar you like. For more information (such as using your own avatars), see the FAQ.
ringer1919
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 03, 2005 01:12
Wah! the chart confuses me!:cry:
Naneth
Elvish 101 Moderator
Send Message
on: May 03, 2005 08:05
If you're referring to the Mutation Chart Ringer1919, the mutation lessons show you how to use it. If you still are having trouble, just send me a PM telling me what you need clarified.
DLcygnet
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 11, 2005 08:30
Now I'm really curious...
For the movie they said they brought in a couple experts on elvish language and dialect. And I thought it was a bit odd that people would devote themselves to a language that was neither living nor dead at any point in earth history. But now I want to know... just how many people know how to speak either of these dialects? Does anybody have statistics on that? Or is there no way to get an estimate?
Fíriel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: May 11, 2005 09:02
But now I want to know... just how many people know how to speak either of these dialects? Does anybody have statistics on that? Or is there no way to get an estimate?

The dialects you're referring to are Quenya and Sindarin, and as you can judge from the communities here, there are people who study one of these languages, and a few study both. There are no statistics, and it would be hard to estimate between those who only want to know how to say 'I love you' in Sindarin and those who've devoted much study to the Elvish tongues.

You'll notice that I've been saying 'study' or something similar instead of 'speak' throughout, and this is because it's not possible to speak either language fluently. There are too many gaps in our knowledge concerning grammar and vocabulary, and a lot of the movie Elvish were hypothetical or contested constructions. You'll find quite a few people who disagree with how 'thank you' in Sindarin is said in the movie, for instance.
seashell2_js
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 12, 2005 05:43
Hi, I joined this website because I'm interested in the Elven langauges, and am doing a little project for school on them. Before I choose between learning Sindarin or Quenya, I have a question that I want to clear up.

In the LoTR books, when they speak in Elvish, is it in Quenya or Sindarin? In the appendixes, it says that Sindarin was more commonly used, giving me the impression that people would know more about Sindarin. However, here on the website, it says that more is known about Quenya. So...I'm a little confused as to which one they spoke, as well as how more is known about Quenya if it was Sindarin that they spoke.

Sorry for the long newbie question ^_^'' Thanks =)
Fíriel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: May 12, 2005 06:40
Hi Seashell -- welcome to the forums, and yes, hopefully you'll choose to learn some Sindarin or Quenya.

In the LoTR books, when they speak in Elvish, is it in Quenya or Sindarin? In the appendixes, it says that Sindarin was more commonly used, giving me the impression that people would know more about Sindarin. However, here on the website, it says that more is known about Quenya. So...I'm a little confused as to which one they spoke, as well as how more is known about Quenya if it was Sindarin that they spoke.

My memory is rusty, but both Quenya and Sindarin are spoken in LOTR. Sindarin was the 'common tongue' of the Elves of ME and of the Dúnedain as well -- it also became a tongue spoken among Gondorian nobles, and quite a few Men besides would've known how to speak it as well. Quenya was less common in ME, and certainly wasn't an commonly spoken language like Sindarin (of course, this differs in Valinor ). However, it's true more is known about Quenya's grammar and vocabulary -- the grammar isn't complete*, but I believe it's more substantial than Sindarin, in any case.

* You might not know that Tolkien didn't write out a list detailing every aspect of Quenya (or Sindarin, for that matter) grammar, so much of what we know to be Quenya or Sindarin is pieced together by looking at phrases, compositions, or translations in the languages discussed, and figuring out how the grammar might work, or comparing it with what we already know. To put it simply.
seashell2_js
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 15, 2005 12:36
Okay, thanks for clearing that up, it'll help on my report
Rilaisseth_of_Mirkwood
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 23, 2005 12:33
Thanks for all the tips, guys! I just started learning Sindarin and I'm confused! I never thought about making flashcards.
Amrod_Isilra
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 29, 2005 06:37
Wonderfull tips guys! I have always wanted to be able to read the elvish epic poems in the LOTR books. Also it will be fun using elvish in MSN as myself and a mate are learning dwarf runes.

If an elvish true font file exists I'd be happy to install it.

I plan on being somewhat good at this by September, hope I'm not being too optimistic.

[Edited on 30/5/2005 by Amrod_Isilra]
<< First45678Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email