<< First678910
Author Topic:
epic_rainstorm
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Tips For Newbies !!
on: April 21, 2007 04:17
i downloaded the Dragon flame application,
but even when i restarted the computer... the fonts didn't show up. It's just a bunch of mixed up letters and random symbols. (*]!@) etc.

dangerous, delu
is 2b#7R'Niu

see my problem?
does anyone know what i can do? ...
gwendeth
Accounts Admin, Sindarin Mod & Head Stargazer of Varda
Send Message
on: April 21, 2007 06:27
Suilad, epic_rainstorm

If I'm not mistaken, you need to have the fonts downloaded to your computer for them to show up - even for DragonFlame. I could, of course, be wrong (lol not the first time!).

A good place to find Tengwar fonts and information is on Dan Smith's website.
"Tolo si, a tiro i cherth Eru" "Come now, and see the works of God"
epic_rainstorm
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 22, 2007 06:52
Thanks!

it works now. =]
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 25, 2007 07:02
hi, my friend sent this to me, she said it would help me learn elvish phrases faster, because it has the pronouncations, but I told her I was learning on COE, I am still learning on here but I want to know if this elvish is even accurate,

here is the website.

http://www.hobbitslive.com/learnelvish.html

Thank you, Elfmaiden
'Not even the gods above can separate the two of us, no nothing can come between you and I.'
Fíriel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: May 16, 2007 04:07
This reply is possibly too late to be of much use to you, but it might still be of interest.

Is the Elvish accurate? No. Well, I suppose that's a bit harsh, and its link for 'Elvish Phrases' is to a well-respected Sindarin course, but the rest is not too good. The Glossary mixes up Sindarin and Quenya terms, and doesn't seem that reliable to me. The Movie Elvish pages, with their pronunciation approximations, don't seem that helpful to me, but that's just a nitpick of mine -- having a different accent, the pronunciations there just don't make sense to me. The actual Pronunciations page isn't too bad actually, though there appears to be a few errors.

To be honest, I do think that there are more helpful resources out there than this site for learning Sindarin or Quenya.
legolas2008
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 04, 2008 07:08
Here's a good site to hear Sindarin being spoken:

http://dombach.florian.bei.t-online.de/phonology.htm

Maybe my computer is just acting up, but the link isn't working for me, and I learn much better if I have an audio example. Does anyone know if the site has moved since the link was posted, and if so, do you know where it is now?
Thanks!
mastermusic92
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 11, 2008 04:49
Thanks! that was really helpful! I spent all day today putting together my binder! Ha ha! Im really proud of it! I love this site! The Elvish languages are so beautiful! I wish more people loved it as much as we love it!
Ailinel
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 11, 2008 05:42
@legolas2008: Florian's soundfiles are here.
taewariell
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 07, 2008 11:19
Thanks this is awesome
LottyAurora
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 18, 2008 03:55
Hullo, I am new...

I'm getting ink done soon and i want the elvish words "somewhere only we know" in Quenyan...but i cannot find the Quenyan word for somewhere in the dictionaries :S some help would be appreciated

Lotty xx
gwendeth
Accounts Admin, Sindarin Mod & Head Stargazer of Varda
Send Message
on: December 18, 2008 03:01
Suilad, LottyAurora,

It's quite likely that the word 'somewhere' does not exist in Quenya. A better place to ask this question would be in the Quenya Discussion Forum . Someone there should be able to help you.
"Tolo si, a tiro i cherth Eru" "Come now, and see the works of God"
Polcahuoron
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 30, 2009 02:54
I submitted my lesson 1 excercises a while ago, are they supposed to be checked or anything?
AslansElf
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 16, 2009 05:16
me and my girl are going to learn to speak Sindarin together, she can write it and understand it, but she has trouble with pronunciation, shes teaching me the basics and Im using the worksheets as well, how are they submitted and are they checked? if they are, how and will I get it back?
Elwingda
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 04, 2009 12:13
I wasn't sure which bit of the forum this post should go into so feel free to move it if necessary.
I was wondering whether anyone has used a book by Jim Allan called 'An Introduction to Elvish' and whether they think it's any good?
It is quite technical and since it has lots about the etymology of Elvish words in it, I suppose it is written mainly for people actually wanting to understand the background of Elvish (and other tongues of Middle-Earth).
However, it seems to go into depth particularly with pronunciation, it has a detailed chapter on Tengwar as well as the giving of names and there are English-Sindarin-English and English-Quenya-English wordlists too.
Ailinel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 04, 2009 07:39
It is (or was) a very good book, but since it was written in 1978, before the Silmarillion was published, and before many important writings by Tolkien concerning his invented languages were published in Vinyar Tengwar and Parma Eldalamberon, it is antiquated now.
glamdring22
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 20, 2009 02:33
Nice tips! Now I'm going to learn Elvish along with my Latin!
leggal
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 05, 2010 12:18
Hello fellow old COE members! Do we have a guide for elvish letters? in Tengwar, I suppose... so we know how to write what we translate? If I have overlooked it I am sorry for being ignorant but I can't find it!
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 05, 2010 04:16
Hi, leggal! There should be two lessons for Tengwar under all the others (whether it's Quenya or Sindarin) If you want to actually type in tengwar you'll need to download the font pack. The tengwar chart in the lesson area has a guide to match english and tengwar letters.
leggal
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 05, 2010 05:21
Oh, whyyy thankya!
Chocolatequeen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 09, 2010 10:56
One of my New Year's resolutions is to learn Sindarin, so I imagine I'll be spending quite a bit of time here. The thought of self-teaching a language is a little daunting however--does anyone have a "first step?" I did read the first post in this thread and noticed the suggestion to print out the lessons. I have one question before I do that. Are they files that you open and download, or are they links? I'd like to print it out at the library, and it makes a difference in how much I'll have to pay.

Thanks!
leggal
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 17, 2010 03:16
I see the alphabet on the tengwar section of languages, but it is all in pdf formats. My computer crashes every time I try to open the files! Does anyone know an accurate html version of it? I am trying to write an elvish phrase some good people at CoE helped me translate!
DG
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 20, 2010 04:50
Thanks for the tips. I'm really excited to learn elvish now.
Fernstrike
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 07, 2010 09:00
Wow, thank you for all the tips!
I've just started learning Sindarin, so this is really helpful!
Does anyomne know where I can find more info on how to stress words? Hannad!
X
Nrogara
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 13, 2011 12:59
So, quick question: which language do they use in the books? Cuz that's the one I want to learn. ( I hope I'm not asking a question over again, but I didn't want to read through all 9 pages!)
Image Image
puquiestevez
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 15, 2011 11:06
Hello,

Im thinking of getting a new tattoo. The thing is that I want to get tattooed a phrase that means a lot to me "Happiness only real when shared", but I would like it to be written in Elvish. I do not fully get the difference between Quenya and Sindarin, and I dont know where can I find a reliable translator (be it a person or some sort of website).

I would be really grateful if someone helped me.

Sofia

PS: I apologize for my English.
Nrogara
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 17, 2011 09:23
there's a translator on this website, though you'll probably have to type it in one word at a time. Just go to "Languages" on the side and select "Language Dictionaries" from the drop-down menu.
Image Image
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Im having areally hard time studying Sindarin. Does anyone have any other tips for me?
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Eruwaedh987
Council Member
Send Message
Hello!

I handed in a Sindarin lesson (lesson 1) a couple days ago, yet it has not been handed back. Will someone be checking this in the near future, or should I PM someone? If so, who should I PM to check my assignment?

Thank you!
~Libby~
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
It always takes them a little while to get back to you. Wait for a few more days, and if someone doesnt get back to you, I would suggest PMing an admin.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
saerwen_tariel
Council Member
Send Message
The lessons can take a while to be marked, I'd imagine the admins have a lot to do so I'd suggest maybe starting the next lesson and just keep moving. You don't need it to be marked to move on.

Findemaxam48, my advice if your having trouble with Sindarin is maybe not just doing the lessons but trying a simple translation with what you have learnt and getting someone to check it for you. It can be a lot fun to translate something you like
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
OK, thanks! And who should i send the translation to? And should it be in the form of a PM?
reina82
Council Member
Send Message
Are there any places i can go to hear the correct pronuciation
asdfman12
Council Member
Send Message
I am having trouble with voiceless letters, specifically the letter L, if anyone has anywhere i can hear recordings of these so i can figure them out, that would be great
A good man learns from his mistakes, a great man learns from the mistakes of others.
Rain_Dance
Council Member
Send Message
Hi there! I'm new here (I just signed up now)and I really want to learn Sindran. A few questions for you:
-Like @asdfman12 , I can't get most of my voiceless letters...any tips?
-How do I submit completed worksheets?

Thanks
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
Here's a little file I recorded ages ago to help with voiceless letter pronunciation:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22676988/RH%20HW%20LH.wma

[Edited on 01/08/2014 by Galadivren]
<< First678910
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email