Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First678910
Author Topic:
Azuriel
Council Member
Send Message
Hi I'm new I want to have an idea of how many people actually speak this language¿?
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Well, I am steadily learning, but I know of many people here on CoE who are quite fluent and would be willing to help with any number of things. Learning a language takes a lot of time and effort, especially when it is done behind a computer screen and not face to face, like in a classroom.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Hawkins
Council Member
Send Message
I can speak it falteringly, but I find that if I choose certain times only to speak elvish, it helps speed up my knowledge.
Lothriel
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I have become much more fluent through my studies here. Welcome to you, Hawkins!
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Grasscannonball
Council Member
Send Message

[Edited on 02/07/2014 by Grasscannonball]
enzio
Council Member
Send Message
Hi, I want to start learning Sindarin. I've got a kindle, so I sent Pedin Edhellin over to it, but I don't like it's structure too much. What do you think is the best resource for Sindarin? Should I print out the CoE workbook? I already copy-pasted it to a word document, but it's too many pages...

P.S. Do I pronounce Gandalf, Gandalv?

[Edited on 04/06/2014 by enzio]
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Hello, enzio, and welcome to CoE.

I used the lessons on here for my initial learning of Sindarin. Now that I finished those lessons, I use this dictionary for finding words when I am translating: http://www.elfdict.com/

If you do wish to use the CoE workbook, then yes, I would recommend printing out the lessons and assignments, doing them a notebook, and then typing up the assignments and submitting them on here for staff approval. You don't need to print out the lessons all in one chunk, just print them as you go along with them.

According to Lesson One on here, F sounds like normal F except at the end of words, where it is used to represent the sound of V.

So, you would pronounce it as Gandalv.

Happy studying!

~Maxie

ElrondsQueen
Council Member
Send Message
Thank you!
Pedin i phith in aníron, a nin ú-cheniathog.
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
Do remember however that Gandalf is not a Sindarin name, and therefore shouldn't be treated as such.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I took the example from lesson one. I think they used ot just for the sake of the example.
Tauriel-elf
Council Member
Send Message
Pedin Edhelin?
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
Pedin Edhellen is an older language workbook written by Thorsten Renk, found here:
http://www.phy.duke.edu/~trenk/elvish/
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Is that up to date? Or does it still have older information?
The Anderilia
Council Member
Send Message
Where can I find the lessons? Could someone send a link so I can learn to?
Also is it free? If it is then that is great if it isn't then not so great. Thanks for you help in advance
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
findemaxam48 said:Is that up to date? Or does it still have older information?

Er, whoops, missed that reply...

No it's not entirely up to date, and yes it does have some older information, but it's still a decent resource for comparative purposes.
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
The Anderilia said:Where can I find the lessons? Could someone send a link so I can learn to?
Also is it free? If it is then that is great if it isn't then not so great. Thanks for you help in advance

On this site?
http://www.councilofelrond.com/reading/
Then click Sindarin workbook (you could have found this by clicking on the Languages of Middle-Earth tab on the left hand side of the screen).
Yes, it's free, all the main Sindarin lessons websites offered on the Internet are free.
Middle Earth
Council Member
Send Message
Hi, I been learning Sindarin here at CoE for a while, but I was just wondering: is the workbook here completely up to date?
It's just that I know there are several older workbooks on the internet and although this one seems pretty recent, I would like to know for sure. Also, another question I had: in the Tengwar lessons here, what mode of writing do they teach? I am currently learning Tengwar from another website, but the information there seems very different from what is taught here.
We have only to decide what to do with the time that is given us...
Tyrhael
Council Member
Send Message
I wouldn't call it completely up-to-date; the Sindarin one at least dates to 2005-6, and accurately depicts one side's theories on things like pronouns and past-tense formation as they were at that time. The next major release in terms of unpublished information which changed our ideas/theories was in 2007, though the Sindarin workbook doesn't seem to have incorporated that (or newer) material.
nube
Council Member
Send Message
Hi there, I am currently conducting research on individuals that actually speak and study Sindarin. I am a novice in this culture and would be grateful to anyone interested in helping me?
Celeblaswen
Council Member
Send Message
Hello, I started Sindarin today, and am on lesson one. If anyone could help me, that would be great. I have a question about LH- the voiceless L. How would you pronounce it?
Guren níniatha n'i lû n'i a-govenitham.
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
Celeblaswen said:Hello, I started Sindarin today, and am on lesson one. If anyone could help me, that would be great. I have a question about LH- the voiceless L. How would you pronounce it?

The 'quick and dirty' answer is:
Pronounce it as if the letters were reversed and it read HL.

The longer answer is:
You mentioned in one of your threads you are familiar with English and Ukrainian. If you're British - the LH in Sindarin is the LL sound in Welsh (a very difficult sound to accurately reproduce if you don't speak Welsh). The sound is this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voiceless_alveolar_lateral_fricative - there is a soundbite on the right hand side at the top to let you hear the sound.
Lithon of Rivendell
Council Member
Send Message
Hey I have been wanting to learn Sindarin and so far i'm literally just the worst at it. All i can do is say farewell and go kiss an orc. I need a recommendation of where to start.
Falma
Council Member
Send Message
I'm new here and I would like to thank you for making this so easy

[Edited on 12/27/2014 by Falma]
Falma
Council Member
Send Message

[Edited on 12/27/2014 by Falma]
Falma
Council Member
Send Message
Post Stars
on: December 26, 2014 05:34
Galu!
I've been wondering, what's the difference between elen, gil and êl? Are those different types of stars? Or do they mean the same thing?
Falma
Council Member
Send Message
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
êl is the old, poetic word for star, used in poetry and when you want to indicate the speaker is older.
Gil is the normal Third Age word for star, the more modern word.
Falma
Council Member
Send Message
Thank you
But what about Gil-Galad? He died before the Third Age.
And what does elen mean then?
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
Elen is the normal Quenya word for star.

As for Gilgalad, who did indeed die before the Third Age as he died in the final year of the Second Age, it won't have been his birth name, as he was a Noldo. His history changed many times over the years as Tolkien rewrote it, but his Quenya name was Artanáro. In one of these versions, his mother was a Sindar elf, and thus his Sindarin name Gilgalad might come from this rewrite.
sasanoah
Council Member
Send Message
does anybody know the sindarin word for the verb to want?
Lynk
Council Member
Send Message
Aníra- to want/ to desire
Should you need a dictionary:

http://www.directupload.net/file/d/3894/z9k6rqtm_pdf.htm

The words marked with (recon. R.Bornex) are my own reconstructions
Those with (recon. SoM) have ben reconstructed by the "Shadow of Mordor" team. The rest ist explained in the document.

[Edited on 02/10/2015 by Lynk]
De andelu ervenin! Mabo i grist hen. It's dangerous to go alone! Take this sword!
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
Oh, it's using mine as a template! Quite intrigued to see what reconstructions have been added

What's the basis for Ces- 'to ask' and Cesom - which roots?

[Edited on 02/11/2015 by Galadivren]
Lynk
Council Member
Send Message
Hehe yeah I like your Dictionary, so I wanted to enchance it. For the questioning words I used the Quenya root'ces-' "to question" (after using the basic rules it didn't change really)
and for cesom I added -ma to the above mentioned root since it then results in a noun connected to the prefix so basically a question.

I have reconstructed "mephed-" for to ask because the above one is stronger in meaning as it is to question, "maquet- " is Quenya for to ask and using the attested rules I came up with that.

Though I've been pondering at one further reconstruction I haven't added yet the word "arphígad" meaning undiminished from Shadow of Mordor "
Mi chand eMorchir, natha le calad arphígad"

ar- is without and the verb would be something like tainting or so, so that it means pure but I would appreciate if you helped me to find out from which word that could have been taken!

[Edited on 02/12/2015 by Lynk]
De andelu ervenin! Mabo i grist hen. It's dangerous to go alone! Take this sword!
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
Ces- in Quenya is “to search (for something), to examine (something) in order to find (something)” not just 'to ask', which as you correctly say is the verb Maquet- in Quenya. This becomes Mabed- in Sindarin.

Although -ma is an ending in Quenya, it denotes a physical item such as a tool, or book (parma, tulma) etc. and does not refer to theoretical constructs. -ma in Quenya also wouldn't become 'om' in Sindarin I'm afraid, it would actually tend towards 'f' - e.g:
Parma (Book) in Quenya becomes Parf in Sindarin. Final vowels are lost in Sindarin so it first became Parm, and the cluster 'rm' in Quenya became 'rv' in later Sindarin. (These are from Tolkien's notes by the way, not just made up rules ).

Also regarding nouns from verbs, we already have a known way of doing that without using any endings from Quenya, and that is to use the gerund, the attested form being Cabed from the verb Cab- (Cabed en-aras = The Leap of the deer). This gives us Mabeded = Question as the gerund from the verb Mabed-.

I'll have to look into arphígad for you. Looks like one of Mr Salo's creations, I'll have a hunt for the roots.

[Edited on 02/12/2015 by Galadivren]
Lynk
Council Member
Send Message
Interesting, then my quenya dic from Ambar Eldaron is slightly inaccurate. And I used the suffix -me not -ma that was a spelling mistake I'm afraid. And I ended up in the root "Kesmê" what is hard to pronounce anyway.
But the biggest problem is still that word reconstruction is no exact science I came up with those words but who kows what Tolkien had done in this case.

Thx for helping me out with arphígad btw!

[Edited on 02/12/2015 by Lynk]
<< First678910
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email