Register

Author Topic:
Malinornë
FAQ Admin, Quenya Moderator & Eldameldë
Send Message
Post Accents and dots - how to write them
on: September 09, 2003 12:29
Just some tips for those who have trouble writing accents:

Method 1) Press Ctrl + apostrophe and the next letter you type will have the accent.

For letters with an acute accent (like á, Á):
Ctrl - ' (control - apostrophe)

For diaeresis (ë)
Ctrl - shift - :

Method 2)
Press Alt + code (use the number pad on your right side of the keyboard):

á= Alt 160
í= Alt 161
ó= Alt 162
ú= Alt 163
ý= Alt 01021
é= Alt 130
ë= Alt 137

Method 3) Use a word processor, such as Word, WordPerfect etc, that has a function that allows you to choose and insert a character from a character map.

N.B! If none of these three tips work for you, please make sure to read the whole thread. Many other tips have been posted by others here, and something ought to work for you.

[Edited on 24/4/2005 by Malinornë]
Eronlover
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Accents and dots - how to write them
on: October 03, 2003 03:14
Some reasons that the alt+code thing may not work is because you may be using a different style. Next to the font type it should say 'Western'.

Also, some programs, you can just press alt+769, and it will add an accent mark to the preceding letter.

E.g. a + (alt+769) + á

(Thanks Malinornë. I figured it out because of you. )
Telcontar
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 28, 2003 06:19
Aren't umlauts the ^ symbols? I think the ë symbol over the "e" is called a diaeresis. On dictionary.com, they said that an umlaut was used for changing the way a vowel sounds (much like the ^ in Sindarin) and a diaeresis is used to make sure one does not pronounce the vowel as a diphthong (which is done in Quenya, along with the pronounciation of final "e")
janet
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 28, 2003 11:54
Telcontar, the ^ (circumflex) was used for vowel-lengthening and later changed to the apostrophe-accent.

About the umlaut, you should be right if you were studying German, I think, cause for me it is just a grammatical term. I do not think that the German language knows a term like 'diaeresis' (maybe if there are any German people who can make this clear?), for example. But they know an 'umlaut' (I thought it means something like 'concerning the sound').

You know what the diaeresis is called in The Netherlands; 'trema' (linguistic). In Dutch, it is used like in Quenya: to make sure that vowel is pronounced. We do not know a diaeresis, though.
Malinornë
Send Message
on: October 28, 2003 10:47
Just to clearify things (hopefully), I changed my mentioning of "umlaut" to "diaeresis". The source listed the codes for a lot of letters with two dots above them, calling them all "umlauts", which, I think, is not a good term for the Quenya ë, or occational ä or ö. Thanks for pointing that out, Telcontar!
Neneithel
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 09, 2003 11:18
There's a nice bit of free software at http://allchars.zwolnet.com/download.html which lets you type the accents more easily. To type ë, you just have to press and release ctrl, then e, then ".

Neneithel
Camannar
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 08, 2003 12:31
I défínátéllý récómménd gëttíng thë AllChars prógräm (mentioned above by Neneithel), it works really good, áll you häve to dó is tÿpe Ctrl thén ' then a to get á, and so on. Its a really good program... I havn't göt any virúses from it. Át léäst nöt ýët

Cam~
Ocean
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 27, 2003 10:24
Aiya!

Thanks so much for all that advice. I just installed thát AllChars program and it rëally hás beën a húge help!

Cyllwen
elvesrock
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 12, 2004 01:00
Thanks so much for the codes!!! I used to have to copy and paste whenever I did the workbooks. ^^;;

Thanks a bunch!

Elvinman
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 14, 2004 06:07
Thanx. Lle maa quel
Nimrochben
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 19, 2004 07:30
JUst saying, I use Method 3
Lambengolmo
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 19, 2004 07:39
Method 4) Another method is by clicking on the start button and navigating to Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Character Map.

This program lets you copy any symbol (including accented letters) from any given font onto the clipboard and then paste them into you current application.

Edit: You will not believe the spelling errors I made in this post.

[Edited on 28/2/2004 by Lambengolmo]
Manephelien
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 21, 2004 04:06
I'm lucky as I have a Finnish keyboard, with ä and ö (and å) directly available and é, û, ü, ë, ý etc only two keypresses away (or 3 if I need to use shift or right alt). So, now off to learn some Quenya.
Precious!
linnende
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 27, 2004 01:15
Just wanted to say thanks for all your help. I'm new here so this really came in handy!
Parmistar
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 06, 2004 11:55
Just to clearify things (hopefully), I changed my mentioning of "umlaut" to "diaeresis". The source listed the codes for a lot of letters with two dots above them, calling them all "umlauts", which, I think, is not a good term for the Quenya ë, or occational ä or ö.

Aiya,

Maybe I can bring some additional light into this matter, as I am German and therefore daily confronted with umlauts.
An umlaut is a vowel with a change in pronounciation. Mostly this appears in the change from singular to plural, eg Vater (father) - Väter (fathers). In German this only works with a/ä, o/ö and u/ü, so there's unfortunately no ë on my board
This change in pronounciation exists in many languages like German, Sindarin and also English: child - children is just one example. The thing about English is, that in most cases nobody ever cared to indicate a change in pronounciation by changing the spelling. This is why many learners of English have such a hard time pronouncing it correctly...

A diaeresis now is the way an umlaut is indicated, namely the two dots above the vowel. It is also used to ensure that EITHER vowels who normally build a diphtong (double vowel) are pronounced seperately (namarië or Eärendil), then it is called trema OR vowels who normally would be elided are emphasised (telumë). These vowels are not called umlauts.
To cut a long story short: Malinorë, you are absolutely right, diaeresis is perfectly correct for these two funny dots...

Namarië

Parmistar
Náredhil
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 17, 2004 11:15
if anybody is interested i have an article i wrote in Elronds library and in the Art section about the diaresis and how to make the accents on both Macs and PC's called "Accented Letters" or something like that i forgot, lol, never saw this thread before, just wanted to mention that to help anybody that was still wondering out.
ElvishKing
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 20, 2004 03:54

hello how are you all
PhantomElf
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 24, 2004 08:59
Aiya Ilquen

I have solved the problem of á é í ó ú and ä ë etc. by changing my keyboard settings to Uninted States International. This allows me to simply use the key marked with the ' and " prior to typing the letter and it types as á ë depending whether you use it as is or use the shift key as for a capital letter.

I find this really useful as í cán typë almost wíthóút páúsïng. Now Ive become used to it.

It depends on what version of windows you are using as to exactly where you can find the keyboard settings but a little exploration should be fruitful I found. I managed to work out how to change the settings and I am a bit of a clutz with computers so you should be able to manage. A friend of mine told me about it. This key can still be used normally under this keyboard setting by using the space bar immediately after using the key.

I hope this isn't too confusing and will be of some help.

Namárië

PhantomElf

[Edited on 25/5/2004 by PhantomElf]
Malinornë
Send Message
on: May 25, 2004 08:46
PhantomElf, that sounds like the most convenient solution so far! Great!

Náredhil, your articles sounds very useful as well!
ayla_evenstar
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 28, 2004 07:01
Aiya!
PhantomElf...how did you do that?? i have looked every where on my computer and i cant find the keybored settings help!

[Edited on 28/7/2004 by ayla_evenstar]
PhantomElf
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 31, 2004 05:37
Aiya ayla_evenstar

Thankyou for asking, I meant to post more detailed instructions on how to do this but it kind of slipped my mind. Apologies to all as I have confused what I did on my computer with how I did it on my work computer. I have windows xp so for this application go into the control panel. Click on "Regional and Language..." . Click on the "Languages" tab then click on the "Details" tab . Highlight the "Keyboard" icon in the box window. Click the Add button. Click in the box next to "Keyboard layout/IME:" a tick should appear. Then use the drop down menu in the highlighted box below and find and highlight the "United States-International" then click OK. Then highlight "United States-International" and cllick Apply then OK.

Hopefully this is complete. When using this keyboard setting it is easy to use normal ' and " as well just be using the space bar immediately after typing the ' or " . It ishould be easy to switch between settings as well.

Hope this helps its a little different for windows 98 but not too different I don't think. Good luck please feel free to PM me or post again if you have any more questions. I will try to help.

Namárië

PhantomElf

_carne_uruloke_
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 05, 2004 01:44
Hello everyone!
I finally found out how to write the accents and the little dots, and they work fine on Microsoft Word and stuff. But when I try and type them in the Lessons on this site, the key combinations don't work. So I was wondering if any one new how to fix that. If it matters, I have a Laptop that runs Windows 98. Hope someone knows how to fix this!
Malinornë
Send Message
on: August 05, 2004 07:12
Carne uruloke, perhaps you could type your answers in Word, and when you're done, just copy & paste into the workbook?

[Edited on 6/8/2004 by Malinornë]
Malinornë
Send Message
on: August 05, 2004 07:51
I just came across another source for info on this. If you go to 'Elrond's Library' and click on 'Literature Studies', you'll find an article called 'Making accented letters'. It has some tips for both PC and Mac. (It was the last article on the page when I looked, so you need to scroll.)
ayla_evenstar
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 07, 2004 12:26
thanks PhantomElf!! that worked!!!
elven_warrior_101
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 29, 2004 10:14
um, how do u caps the letters if they've got dots or whatever else over them? my computer won't, even in caps lock.
just wondering!
PrincessOfIthilien
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 30, 2004 07:24
I declare that I am a bloody fool, will anyone help a B.Fool?

I install the allchars program, but when I type thing like "press ctrl then let go then ' +a" I got a chinese character as a result....but the situration just appear when I type the vowels a,e,i,o,u and if I am typing a consonant, It didn't change the show this: ['c]

Was it a problem of my computer or sth?

:feedback:

plz help me!!!!
KennCF
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 20, 2004 02:48
THIS IS THE EASYEST WAY !!!

just to have you look

press the ¨ bottom just right for the enter bottom then press your "key" for a example: e

like this way !

¨e = ë
Laurie_Rokkoriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 03, 2004 01:23
Malinorne, I've tried the first two of your techniques and neither one of them work for me, and believe it or not, as of right now, I do not have a Microsoft Word (GASP!!!!) repeat: I DO NOT HAVE A MICROSOFT WORD! (starts crying...no, not really! ) Please help a really confused a Elf! Namarie, Laurie_Rokkoriel
Lambengolmo
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 04, 2004 03:06
Method two is built into Windows so it will work if you do it correctly. It wasn't mentioned above so I'll say it here; Num Lock has to be on for it to work.

Alternativly, you could try the method four that I suggested.
Námovaryar
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 18, 2004 07:00
Malinornë's first method has worked just fine for me. It also does the circumflex in Barad-dûr and Hîn Hurin.
Nai Anar Caluva Tielyanna!
mcp_the_blue_witch
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 05, 2004 01:05
I still have trouble with the accents! I tried all 3 methods and none worked! Even Word Perfect, i press the keys it says, but nothing happens
Malinornë
Send Message
on: December 05, 2004 05:05
The three methods I mentioned were only some I'd heard of. There are lots of other methods suggested in that thread by other people, including software. Don't give up until you try everything
Námovaryar
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 21, 2004 11:05
Update: This method also works for the tilde, in Ñoldor and such. Ctrl+Shift+~, then N.

Lambengolmo, here's a way of accelerating method 4. If you look at the bottom bar on the character map, there's the series of numbers alt+XXXX. You type those in, like method 2, and you no longer need to cut and paste. This works for the workbook as well.

[Edited on 21/12/2004 by Námovaryar]
Niere_Mirime
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 03, 2005 02:11
Nothing is going right for be today......I won't bore you with the details. Anyway, having MORE trouble with the accents. The second method- nodda. The third method-hesitant to try. First method- works. Some of the time. I can get the ý and the é, but all the other codes have sixes in them, and everyone time I press a six while holding down the Alt, it take me to my home page. *shakes head despairingly*

Does anyone have any solution??
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email