Register

Author Topic:
maeghin
RPG Moderator &
Harbinger of Laughter

Send Message
Post RE: Dartho Annin An-uir: Be With Me Always
on: March 29, 2004 04:46
Faramond watched as Ohtar and his men moved into position. His main concern for the beginning of the battle would be to protect the vanguard as much as possible. He ran an idle thumb across the feather attached to the shaft of his arrow, while his index and middle finger held the string taught.

Darkness had fully set upon them. Fara looked up to find that the moon was merely a crescent, and did not afford the light he had hoped for. In the darkness, the Orcs gained the advantage in battle. Also, a light fog had begun to set in, rolling through the trees and underbrush in thin wispy veils of white. Fara hoped the battle would come soon, before the shroud of mist had fully lain upon the land. His fears were soon to be answered.

A black arrow whizzed past, deflecting off the limb of a tree, close to Fara’s head. A few pieces of bark and dirt were shattered from the tree, some of which landed on Fara’s shoulder. Yet, he remained motionless. The arrows hissed as they split the air, yet Fara soon realized they were not shot at any target in particular. He snorted softly, it was just like Orcs, shoot a hundred arrows and hope a few of them hit something.

As he strained his pale blue eyes, he could see the Orcs, or at least their shadows, well enough to get a clear shot, but he knew he must wait for Ohtar and his ambush, that would be the more efficient way of attack, surprise. Fara glanced at Rissa. Her raven black hair glistened in the dim light. As though she felt his gaze, she lifted her sight to meet his, her eyes catching what little light there was. A slight smile curled upon her lips as she gently shook her head and turned her attention back to the host of approaching Orcs. She was ready for battle.

A shout slashed through the hissing of the arrows, and Fara watched as Ohtar and his men lunged forth from their hiding places, taking the Orc host by surprise. Fara remarked on the courage of Ohtar and his men. He raised his bow and took aim.

“Send a volley into their flesh!” Came the call from behind him. That was all Fara needed. He made sure of his target, aiming at one of the Orcs giving chase to Ohtar and his men. His arrow found its mark, piercing the Orc in the chest, however, the beast did not fall. Undaunted, Fara restrung and took aim once more. Before he could shoot, Rissa had launched a shot, finishing off the Orc Fara had previously struck.

“Draw your swords!” Ivor’s voice rang through the ravine. Fara did just that, pulling forth his beautiful sword, Uilos, from its sheath. Marissa was off before he was, Fara just smirked as he followed her.

Ohtar and his men were retreating slowly, their backs turned toward Fara and the others. Fara’s trained eyes quickly scanned the battle ground. One of Ohtar’s men appeared to be wounded, barely thwarting the blows from a rather large, and smelly, Orc. As though acting on pure instinct alone, Fara lunged forth, darting next to the man. His sword found the flesh of the Orc. Fara forced himself between the wounded man and the host of Orcs. He pressed his attack with a great furry.

The shouts, screams and clashing of metal upon metal, filled the air with the unmistakable sounds of battle. Fara saw Fae, fighting side-by-side with the Captain of the Edain warriors to his left. To his right, Marissa was fending for herself against the host of noxious Yrch. Fara did not need to watch her though, he could feel her presence.

She was not as strong as the male warriors, but she was slender and quick. She put these qualities to good use too as she darted to and fro between the Orchoth, never standing still long enough for them to get a baring on her. Her sword sang as she spun it through the air. Her stroke was not powerful, but it fell with great precision and skill. What she lacked in strength, she made up for in cunning and awareness.

Soon, the battle was finished. A victory shout went up among the Edain. Fara smiled as he saw Rissa bent over, wiping her blade. Fara too, knelt and found the leather glove of a dead Orc, which he used to wipe the black blood from Uilos. The stench of the battle lay rank across the ravine. The smells of blood, sweat, and the foul Yrch stench mixed together, making a nauseous reek. Fara closed his eyes and focuses his mind to ignore the stench, many battles had taught him thusly.

“Hey! I think one got away!” came a loud voice from behind.. Fara’s heart sank as he turned, and raced to where the man stood, near where Ohtar and his men had first attacked. The man was bent, studying the tracks as best he could in the dim light. Fara knelt next to him and studied the ground. Indeed, where all the tracks led toward the ambush, one set of tracks led away, slightly askew from the direction the host had been traveling. Fara stood and followed them for a short distance. Something black shone on a tall patch of grass. Fara wiped it off with his fingers and brought to his nose to smell. It was the blood of a Yrch. He raised his sight and followed the path of the errant Orc. Though the fog had set and shrouded the ground, Fara could still see that it ran straight, with far-spread footprints, signifying that it had panicked and broke from the column.

A hand on his shoulder brought his attention around. To his surprise, it was Ohtar. The questioning look in his eyes voiced his concern. Fara pointed down the trail, which was almost indiscernible in the dim light.

“One of them ran off in that direction.” Fara commented, he raised his fingers to show the black fluid on them. “I believe it was injured and retreated, like a coward.”

Ohtar nodded, taking the Elf’s word on the matter. Together, the two returned to the main group, who had gathered a short ways away from the site of the battle, though a few men and elves were walking amongst the bodies, looking for either survivors or anything the Orcs might have had that would prove useful.

Luckily, the group had suffered few casualties. At first glance, Fara could see that one Elf lay dead and another man was grievously wounded, while a few others were only slightly wounded. The healers were already tending to those, including Marissa. She was knelt over a badly-injured man, trying her best to help him. She did not have any special healing powers, but she was very knowledgeable in the healing arts. Fara cautiously approached her, smelling the stench of death. As he stood over her, he noticed the man was no longer among the living. Rissa continued, in vain to apply pressure to the wound in the man’s chest, though no more blood flowed from it. Fara knelt beside her and gently kissed her neck. He placed his arm about her shoulder and whispered to her.

“He is gone, Melethril, leave him be.”

Marissa shook her head. “No, he’s not, I’m sure he’ll be just fine. Fetch me some healing salve from Fain’s saddlebag.”

Fara sighed deeply. Marissa had never seen death before, she had rarely ventured from Greenwood, and this was her first battle. With a gentle hand, Fara turned her to face him. She looked both confused and angry as a tear fell from her chin. She dropped the blood-soaked cloth she held in her hand and thrust her arms around Fara’s waist, as she buried her face in his chest. Fara caressed her back gently as it heaved from her sobbing. He closed his eyes and rested his cheek on the top of her head.

“I have killed.” Marissa whispered in a shaking voice. Even though they were Yrch, and would gladly have returned the favor, she had still taken the life from a living thing. Fara could almost feel her pain flow through him, and it saddened him to no extent.

He had fought many times and seen much death. His heart had grown a suit of armor of sorts, against the pain and sorrow that came with it. He would still feel great sadness at the loss of life, but never would he show it. Sometimes, his heart would ache so that he just wanted to scream, but he did not, he could not. For the moral of his men, he must remain strong, even if it was only on the outside. This was one of those times. He needed to be strong for those around him, and especially for Marissa.

To his relief, her sobbing had died down to just a shivering. Fara opened his eyes and took her by the shoulders, holding her far enough away so that he could look into her face, yet close enough to comfort her still.

“Are you alright?” He asked in a soothing voice.

“How can you do it?” She asked him in a quavering voice, as she shook her head and fought back another rush of emotions. “How can you kill someone?”

Fara thought for a moment, never had he been asked that question before. “This is the way of War, my love. As sad and senseless as it may seem, we must fight to prevent this, or something similar, from happening to those we hold dearly. That is why I fight, neither for the rush of battle, nor for the thrill of victory, but to protect my people, my friends, from such a fate.” His eyes fell upon the dead man which still lay next to them. “Valar spare us all from such a fate.”

Marissa’s eyes narrowed as she contemplated his words. After a few moments of thought, she had come to a conclusion.

“Though I fear I shall never become used to any of this, I know what you say is true. It’s just that… I wish there were another way, other than killing, to solve problems. I wish I had your strength and your strong heart, that I may be able to fight as you do, unmoving, emotionless, and strong.”

Fara sighed as he fought back a tear at the stinging truth to her words. Did he really seem so heartless? “As do I, Melethril. But sometimes, it is unavoidable. You shall feel better in time, I promise.”

He gently kissed her forehead and wiped the traces of tears from her cheeks. Together, they rose and looked about them. “Let us just be thankful things were not worse.” Fara added. He looked to his left, to where a few people were walking to and fro, carrying flasks. “There must be a stream that way. Why don’t you go wash up? I shall be here with the others when you get back.”

Marissa agreed, though she was still slightly shaken. She turned and began to walk away, pulling her cloak tight about herself as though she were cold. Fara watched her as she walked. Her normal spring was gone from her step and her stride was slow and deliberate. He sighed heavily, blaming himself for her dread. So happy was he at her return to him that he never gave it a thought about how the battle would affect her, though he knew she could fight just as well as any. He wished she had never experienced any of this and that her innocent spirit would still survive, unharmed. He did know, however that she was strong and that she would do whatever was necessary.

Slowly, he turned and spotted Ivor. Fae and Ohtar stood with him, apparently discussing the happenings of the evening. As Fara approached them, the look in Ivor’s eyes showed that he had seen, or perhaps even heard, what had just transpired between Fara and Marissa. The Captain did not say a word, but gave a knowing nod instead.
Rudhwethiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 29, 2004 12:19
"My name is Aervon." "Súlfalas," was the reply, but the elf never took his eyes off the horizon.

Súlfalas sat straight in the saddle, his body tense as a drawn bow-string. Together he and the edain fell behind the company, as their captains had ordered. The sun had begun her descent into the smothering embrace of evening when the dark shadow of the orc host was seen on the horizon, their filthy stench causing Súlfalas' nose to wrinkle in disgust. He muttered a black oath. Aervon's whipped his head around to stare at the elven warrior. "What?" "There!." Without further words the two wheeled their horses and rode for the company.

Súlfalas and Aervon rejoined the others at the small cluster of hills the captains had chosen as their place of defense. Súlfalas sought out Ivorcheneb. Dismounting, he grimly announced that the orc host was drawing near. The elven captain quickly scanned the warriors, then began designating specific positions to the various batallions, being sure to place the elven warriors alongside the Númenoreans. Knowing this would not be a popular decision, Súlfalas raised a questioning eyebrow.

“If we are to fight side-by-side before the Black Gates, they may as well grow accustomed to it before we arrive there,” Ivor said in response, the grim smile playing about his lips faltering when his gaze fell upon the elleth Saida.

“Ivor!” Súlfalas snapped his fingers in front of Ivor’s eyes, bringing the flaxen-haired Captain out of his silent musings.
“Goheno nin {forgive me},” Ivor said sheepishly. “What were you saying?” Súlfalas shook his head in mock exasperation. “You’re impossible!... I said that it is a good thing we are down-wind of them…Even if we do have to tolerate this horrid stink!... Let’s hope the wind does not shift.” Ivorcheneb nodded. Fae led his horse off to join a group of the Númenoreans. Left alone, Súl lowered his voice so that only Ivor could hear. “I will stay near her…I shall not let her out of my sight.” Ivor uttered a deep sigh of relief. “Once again, I owe you my life, Gwador nín.”
The dark eyes of the Northern ellon narrowed mischievously. “Careful!” he teased playfully. “One of these days I shall come to collect!... And what a pretty little servant you shall be!” Then, laughing heartily at his own joke, he led his mount off in the direction of Saida.

Súlfalas left Caden with the mounts of the other soldiers who had been chosen to fight on foot, knowing the well-trained animal would not wander off or run from the clamor of battle. Casually he took up his position at the side of his captain's love, ignoring the peircing look she shot at him, and the cold indifference of her cousin. They were not in the main company, nor the one led by the edain captain. The three of them, along with four elven and three edain warriors were the farthest company to the right.

The darkness seemed almost a living thing, blanketing the company and the landscape in an oppressive silence that left them tense, breathless, waiting.

The first arrows of the enemy were fired. Still they waited. The elven archers on the hillside returned fire. The creatures were within plain sight now. Still Súlfalas and those with him waited in motionless anticipation. He could hear Saida's ragged breathing at his side; could feel the pounding of her heart and her cousin's fall into rhythm with his.

Saida knew the warrior called Súlfalas stood at her side for only one purpose, and she ground her teeth in frustration. She needed no guardian, especially not the northern ellon with speech so like her own and eyes that seemed to see down to her very core. His eyes asked too many questions, probed too close to truths no one must ever know.

At last Gon Ivorcheneb's cry was heard in the darkness. "Draw your swords!” With a unified metallic ring that echoed across the hillside, every sword was instantly released from its sheath.

Because of their position, the right company bore the least of the initial attack. With a clumsy fury that was nonetheless lethal, the orc host bore down upon the groups led by Ohtar and Ivorcheneb. When the timing was right, Súlfalas and those with him circled in and attacked the vile creatures from the rear. True to his promise, the moriquendi ellon stayed close to Saida's side. He soon came to see that she did not need his protection. She carried no sword, only a small curved knife that she held in the palm of her hand and wielded with deadly skill. Still he remained doggedly near her, slashing and hacking his way through the black host in an agile fighting style much like Saida's and Caun's.

Battle cries and the sounds of dying filled the night, to be replaced hours later with the shouts of victory from the elves and Númenoreans. The first battle had ended, in their favor. But would the next? Súlfalas asked himself grimly.

He turned to check on Saida one final time. She stood unharmed, wiping the blood from her blade, silent amid the clamor around her. As if she felt his gaze upon her, she looked up. Her storm-grey eyes met and held his, the fire of battle still raging in them. He nodded, hesitated a moment, then turned to find Ivorcheneb and learn how the rest of the warriors had fared.

gwendeth
Accounts Admin, Sindarin Mod & Head Stargazer of Varda
Send Message
on: March 29, 2004 05:59
Fae ignored the volleys of black orc-arrows and stood waiting with his fellows. He noted one or two of the Edain soldiers flinch a little when several landed nearby - but not that 'Aervon' fellow. Maer! he thought - at least one of them, besides Ohtar, has some courage.

"Leithio!"

The command couldn't have come too soon for Faevathor, and it was with blazing eyes he let fly his first arrow. The second followed quickly after, until Ivor gave the command to charge. Dropping his bow, Fae yanked his sword from it's scabbard and followed, barely noticing Fara and his elleth fighting nearby.

He sliced through one orc and moved on to the next without stopping, fighting with a fury that even Ivor wouldn't have believed. Often his friend had teased Fae about being 'reckless' when he fought, but this time... he was battling with revenge in his heart.

Quickly, Fae made his way to where Ohtar and his group had reformed. There were no words spoken, but side-by-side the two fought. And, slashing through several more of the hated beasts, the elven-warrior noted the Edain Captain using some of the moves he'd been taught - and using them well.
At last, the fighting ended, but not Faevathor's thirst for orc-blood.
“One of them ran off in that direction.” Fara commented, he raised his fingers to show the black fluid on them. “I believe it was injured and retreated, like a coward.”

With a snarl, the dark-haired ellon started after it, but Ohtar grabbed his shoulder. "Leave off!" he ordered, and didn't flinch at the blazing look of hatred in Faevathor's eyes. "Enough, Fae!" he said more quietly, "At least for now. We've got to get reorganized, and quickly."

Ohtar's command and understanding words broke through the elf's rage, and he nodded. "You're right," he replied, wiped his sword on a clean patch of grass and sheathed it. Then, he went back to where he'd first been positioned and retrieved his bow. He would be needing it again.

Aervon fought hard, but couldn't keep the sight of the new men wincing as the orc-arrows fell out of his mind. Cowards were of no use here! he thought, and beheaded another orc.

The soldier was headed toward another of the beasts when he was hit from behind. Screaming in rage - and pain, Aervon separated the orc's hand from his wrist, and skewered it through the shoulder. Bleeding profusely, the man kept fighting, but knew he was losing strength. And then, another orc stabbed him again, and all was in blackness.

He woke to find someone binding his wound, but didn't know - or care who. All Aervon knew was that his shoulder - and his head - ached.
"Tolo si, a tiro i cherth Eru" "Come now, and see the works of God"
gwendeth
Send Message
on: March 30, 2004 07:39
(( OOC: Nifredil's next post! ))

With a snarl, the dark-haired ellon started after it, but Ohtar grabbed his shoulder. "Leave off!" he ordered, and didn't flinch at the blazing look of hatred in Faevathor's eyes. "Enough, Fae!" he said more quietly, "At least for now. We've got to get reorganized, and quickly."

Ohtar's command and understanding words broke through the elf's rage, and he nodded. "You're right," he replied, wiped his sword on a clean patch of grass and sheathed it.

Ohtar looked again at the thick darkness where the orc had disappeared. It wasn't wise to hunt the creature down now, in the dark. They were too good at hiding and had too good noses. He would smell and hear them long before they could reach the orc. Ohtar decided to wait for the morning and then to track him down.

He turned to the others and counted his men with a trembling heart. One of the new men was dead, and several were seriously wounded. The others had but brises or light cuts. Ohtar drew breath easier. He went over to where his men were standing all together and discussing the battle. At the approach of their Captain, the discussion died down, and they streched. Ohtar noticed that they had become more like one group than two different. He looked in the eyes of everyone. They seemed to find it hard to endure the Captain's stare. Then he flashed one of his bright, happy smiles.

"Good job, boys! You proved to be worthy of the trust our King has put in you, and I am proud of you. All of you. And - thank you," he bowed his head slightly.

The men's eyes shone with joy and pride, and they stretched even more, their heads high. "Thank you, Captain!" they answered, saluting. Ohtar bowed his head in acknowledgement again, then turned and went to meet Captain Ivorcheneb.

"Our first battle side by side," he said standing beside the tall ellon and eyeing the battleground.

"Yes, it was. And I must admit you and your men have proved to be worthy companions."

Ohtar raised his eyebrow. "You speak as if you hadn't expected that, Captain Ivorcheneb."

The Elven Captain smiled a small smile. "No, you are wrong assuming this, Gon Ohtar. I did, but some of my warriors didn't. Now they have had to change their point of view, and I am glad about that. This will only help to make our company a united force."

Ohtar stared at the Elven Captain. His words were true. It was their first goal, to achieve unity. And for this, he had to make a step forward. For the mission, and for his King, and for his men, Ohtar extended his hand. "It has been an honor to fight alongside you and your warriors, Captain Ivorcheneb." He didn't like it, but it had to be done.

Ivor returned Ohtar's stare and they shook their hands in the eyes of all their men. Fae came closer and looked with a smile at both Captains. But Ohtar felt like he needed to get away. And then he suddenly realised that he had not seen Aervon.

"If you would excuse me, I have to find a warrior of mine," he bowed politely and was off. He looked over the lines of his men but didn't see Aervon. He wasn't the dead one, Ohtar saw with relief. Frowning, the Captain went out in the recent battlefield. It was covered with the ugly dead bodies of the orcs. He felt his heart beating faster as he searched for his loyal friend. And then he saw him. Thank Eru, he was alive.

"I need a healer here!" he called loudly examining Aervon's wounds.

Rudhwethiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 30, 2004 12:25
Saida watched as the one called Súlfalas walked away. She knew he had fought at her side in the place of another. Ivorcheneb! How had he fared? Was he wounded? Her pulse quickened, and she willed it to slow. He was not her concern. Her face hardened, and she deliberately turned to walk in the direction opposite that in which she had last seen the elven captain. Turned- and ran right into him.

His strong hands steadied her as she reeled from the impact. Piercing blue eyes examined her face, seeking assurance that she was not hurt. Roughly she pushed him away, suddenly distessed by his nearness. He opened his mouth, but before he could speak a cry was heard in the night-

"I need a healer here!"

Both their heads jerked up in unison. "Captain Ohtar!" Ivorcheneb said. He swiveled his head back to face Saida, an unspoken question burning in his eyes. She backed up hastily, shaking her head in defiance. "No! I will not!" Ivorcheneb grabbed her by the forearms, gently but firmly. "You would let a man die when you could save him?" To his shock tears formed in her wild eyes. "I cannot do it. I cannot help anyone," she insisted. He gave her a gentle shake. "You can! I know you can! Saida . . . " his voice softened. "I do not know all there is of what you fear. But I promise, it will not come near you.
Please . . . "

Head bowed, she pushed his touch away again, yet not so roughly this time. After a long pause she lifted her head and faced him. Taking in a deep, shuddering breath, she said "Take me to him, and I will do what I can." Without another word Ivorcheneb took her by the hand and together they moved swiftly to where Ohtar knelt by the form of the edain warrior. "His name is Aervon," he whispered as they approached. Saida knelt at his side, murmuring words to the injured warrior in a tongue none of them knew. What Aervon would think of the elleth who appeared out of the mist like a wraith with stormy eyes and gentle hands, none of them knew. Saida only hoped she wouldn't scare him to death if he awoke while she was tending to him.

With Ivorcheneb and Ohtar assisting her, she carefully turned the warrior on his side and examined the sword-strokes that fell across the back of his shoulder and head. To her relief the wounds, while severe, were not deadly. The warrior would live, and his healing could come by common means. She was all the more grateful for this when Súlfalas' dark shape joined them, and she felt his keen eyes upon her.

Skillfully she bound the man's wounds. Aervon awoke just as she was finishing, and moaned in pain. She resumed the soothing monologue in the foreign tongue, careful of her words. She knew that the northern ellon understood every one. The man stilled once again beneath her touch, though his fevered eyes betrayed great pain. At last she finished, giving him strong draughts to help him sleep until the fires of the first pain had passed.

She felt the eyes upon her back as she walked away, drawing her dark robes about her slim shoulders and disappearing once again into the mists. She felt something almost akin to peace. She had given restoration, perhaps even life, to another living being. And she had done it without fire and blood and the throbbing, wild power that drained strength and hope from her body and mind.

Perhaps even the Istari are wrong sometimes . . .

Faenauliel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: March 31, 2004 02:44
As Ohtar went in search of one of his men, Súl approached Ivor—swinging his sword nonchalantly and whistling a light tune. With a sly smile, the dark northern warrior passed Ivor and gave him a wink. “She’s all yours,” Súlfalas teased softly.

Saida… The Elven Captain’s gaze involuntarily sought out her small form. She stood with her back to him, carefully wiping the blackness of the enemy’s blood from her knife and hands. Sighing, he decided that he could no longer endure her silence. There was no need for him to skulk about avoiding her as if he bore some guilt. Surely she would not begrudge her Captain for seeing that his warriors—all of his warriors—were unharmed. With his new resolve intact and purpose in his step, he started toward her.

As his silent footsteps neared where she stood, he hesitated—lowering his gaze to the blood-soaked ground—unsure of what to say. He wanted to respect her wishes—to avoid suffocating her and let her come to him as Fara had so wisely suggested. Perhaps I should just continue to stay clear of her… Let her speak with me as she will! Ivor thought. He was just about to change direction—to pretend that he had only been passing nearby to Saida’s current position on his way to some other errand—when Saida spun about and ran headlong into him.

His strong hands steadied her as she reeled from the impact. Piercing blue eyes examined her face, seeking assurance that she was not hurt. Roughly she pushed him away, suddenly distressed by his nearness. He opened his mouth, but before he could speak a cry was heard in the night—
"I need a healer here!"

He looked to Saida…there was no need for words—she knew what it was he meant to ask. She shook her head vehemently, “No! I will not!” He took her forearms in hand, preventing her from fleeing as he knew she so greatly desired to do. "You would let a man die when you could save him?" His words came out harshly, though he had not intended them so, and—to his shock—tears formed in her wild eyes.

It pierced his heart that he had caused her such pain, but he knew that he must make her understand that she possessed a gift which could be of great help to the others beside whom she fought. "I cannot do it. I cannot help anyone," she insisted. He gave her a gentle shake. "You can! I know you can! Saida . . ." his voice softened. "I do not know all there is of what you fear. But I promise it will not come near you.
Please…”

Finally, she agreed and he led her to where the Captain of the Edain knelt beside Aervon. The raven-haired elleth knelt down and began to recite words in a language which Ivor could not understand. He and Ohtar helped her turn Aervon so that she may examine his wounds, and Saida sighed softly. Ivorcheneb could tell from the sound of it that she was greatly relieved, and the corners of his mouth turned up into a soft smile.

Ivor watched closely as Saida bound the man’s wounds, noting that she avoided the use of her healing gift. He had known that she would avoid the use of the power which was her burden unless there was no other choice. The words he had spoken to her so long ago in the wilds of the Northern Wastes reverberated in his mind: You see?... It is only a tool… How you wield it is your own choice. He hoped that—in time—she would grow to trust in his words… and in him.

As she bent, again, to her task, a small flash of light caught the corner of Ivorcheneb’s eye. He looked down to see that the weak moonlight had reflected off a pendant which hung about Saida’s neck—a mithril dragon with sapphire eyes! Slowly, the look of disbelief which he wore gave way to a small smile. Silently, he questioned himself, Ai! Ivor… will your foolish heart ever cease to hope?
gwendeth
Send Message
on: April 01, 2004 06:27
Faevathor stood apart for some time, both seeing and unseeing of everything around him. It had come - and gone now - his first chance for revenge, and somehow, the dark-haired ellon felt… different. He'd been a warrior for most of his life, and many a time Ivor had teased Fae about his rashness in battle, but this time… Fae couldn't place it… Was he so changed now? - Now that Elvainiel was gone? Tears stung his eyes at the thought. What would she think of him… knowing…? Faevathor ground his teeth in frustration. He wanted to scream into the night, in anger, hatred - and grief…

Finally, he slowly headed for one of the small camp-fires that had been lit as the company recovered from the battle. Ohtar was sitting by another, alongside one of his wounded warriors. Fae nodded briefly to Súlfalas and sat down. After a long silence, he said, "It doesn't help - does it?" "No," was the ellon's quiet reply. Faevathor saw Faramond, sitting not far away, with… with… Rissa was it? Shaking his head, Fae fought the tears that threatened to stream down his cheeks and then a glint caught his eye: the ear-ring the ex-Mirkwood warrior had had Súl give him in his misery over a love that was lost no longer. And, now, would Fara regret getting it? he wondered.

"How can I bear this?" Fae whispered to himself, not realizing he'd spoken loud enough to be heard. "Because you will, Fae," and the ellon looked up to see Ivorcheneb joining him and Súl. "You're too strong-willed to fade," the elven-captain said as he sat down. "And, Elvainiel wouldn't have wanted you to, either." Faevathor stared at his friend for a moment, stung by actually hearing his wife's name spoken aloud, and then, he nodded. "No," he said sadly, "She wouldn't." "When was the last time you slept, Fae?" Súlfalas asked, eyeing the grieving warrior keenly. Fae shook his head again. He couldn't remember. "Well you need it!" Ivor said firmly, "And I'm making it an order! Get some sleep, Fae!" and nodding at a convenient empty space by the fire, the Captain continued, "And do it, now!" With a rueful twist to his lips, the ellon nodded, and standing, said, "Be iest lín!*" with a short bow to his Captain. As he lay on the ground, gazing up at the stars, Faevathor fell asleep, even as he wondered if he could…

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The ellon jerked awake, just before dawn, and then closing his eyes again, sighed. Ivor HAD been right - he'd needed to sleep, but he hadn't wanted to. Fae rose, retrieved his weapons from were where he'd left them, and then looked around. Ohtar was still where he'd been last night, and the elf was again relieved his edain friend hadn't been injured. But, now that he was looking, Faevathor noticed who was wounded.

Fae remembered flashes of the battle, and glimpses of this Aervon fighting. Not a bad soldier, the ellon thought, and made his way over to the Edain Captain.

"How is he?" Fae asked Ohtar.

"Better," the captain replied, and Fae nodded as his friend helped Aervon to sit.

"Can he ride?" and all looked at Gon Ivor as he joined them. Both ellyn hid smiles at Aervon's snarled reply, but both also knew better. There was no way the injured soldier could ride by himself, so, "If someone can lead his horse, he can ride with me. Mithfaer can carry us both," Fae said, and reached down to pull the man up.

"I'll have Vanrick see to it," Ohtar said, and walking slowly, Faevathor helped Aervon over to the stallion.

* "As you wish"

The morning dawned cold and grey, and Aervon groaned, and then winced in pain, when he tried to rise. "Lie still, Aervon!" came a curt command, and the man recognized his captain's voice. "Sir!" he said, and swore to himself at the weakness of his voice, "I can't - won't - keep this company slowed down!" and attempted to get up again. "I said, stay where you are!" and this time Ohtar held his warrior down. "You'll be up soon enough," he said more quietly, and then Aervon found the man helping drink some water. Unwilling to admit it to himself, Aervon did NOT want to get up, but still railed inwardly at his injuries as he closed his eyes again.

A quiet voice interrupted Aervon's fitful dozing - how much later, the man couldn't tell. "How is he?" and squinting against the light, looked up into the face of a dark-haired elf. The same one, he remembered, he'd been fighting near last night.

"Better," he heard his captain say, and, becoming more determined, Aervon struggled to sit. And this time, Ohtar let him. "Can he ride?" and another elf - the blond-haired Captain walked up. "I will!" Aervon growled for himself, but couldn't seem to get to his feet, and fumed audibly.

The man's eyes widened as the dark elf - Faevthor - he rememberd, laid a hand on Ohtar's shoulder. "If someone can lead his horse," Fae said, "He can ride with me. Mithfaer can carry us both." And with no seeming effort on the elf's part, Aervon felt himself pulled up, and with a strong arm around his waist, helped over to the ellon's waiting horse.

"Here," the elf said, and vaulting to Mithfaer's back, reached down a hand. "Brace your foot on mine," Fae directed him, and carefully pulled the man up behind him. "Maer!" the ellon said, and waited for the command to move out again.

For a moment, Aervon wondered if he looked as foolish as he felt, but then saw others who were wounded also riding double. Shaking his head in wonder, the man was very glad he was part of this company...

[Edited on 2/4/2004 by gwendeth]
Faenauliel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: April 07, 2004 03:44
Through the grey cold the horses trudged for only a short time before Ivor heard the roar of the Baranduin growing ever louder. It would not be long now until they would need to cross the rushing, rain-swollen river. And, judging from the look of the sky, they may be forced to make the crossing during another torrential downfall. Ivorcheneb glanced up at the darkening clouds and offered a silent prayer to Ulmo asking that the rain not fall until the company was safe in Minhiriath. As he lowered his gaze, again, to the path ahead, a low rumble of far-away thunder was his answer.

The tall Elven Captain pulled gently upon Celeg’s reigns and fell back to ride alongside Súlfalas. “Any ideas?” he asked with a side-long glance at the dark Northern warrior. Súl, who had apparently been having much the same thoughts as his Captain, needed no explanation. He shrugged and thought for a short moment. “If they know our position and direction, I’d say that the bridge will be guarded… It is what I would do, if I were in the same position.” Ivor nodded, “Yes… Let’s hope last night’s battle has made them wary of attacking us… As for me, I’m more worried about how swiftly the river is flowing. The bridge is low-set, and if it hasn’t been washed away altogether by the power of the Baranduin, it may have been weakened by the debris that the river has carried beneath it as of late.” A wide roguish grin grew upon Súlfalas face. “Then it is a good thing for the warriors that the Captains ride at the front of the column!” “Careful!” Ivor teased as he nudged Celeg to move forward, “I just may decided to order you to go first!”

As he reached Ohtar’s side, Ivor bowed his head slightly. “We shall reach the Baranduin soon… Súlfalas has expressed concern that it would be an easy place for the orcs to set up an ambush for us. Perhaps we should send a scout ahead to check for signs of the enemy.” The man nodded solemnly. “Yes… Last night’s battle may have made them think better of attacking us, but the one Orc that escaped does raise my alarm a bit. How near is the river?” “Not far,” Ivor replied. “I can hear it already. It is just over those hills in the distance.”

Ohtar regarded the distant hills for a long moment, thinking. Just as Ivorcheneb had begun to think that his fellow Captain would not speak, Ohtar said, “I think it is better if we all stay together. We can examine the river-banks from those hills, then move forward to the bridge slowly. If there is to be an ambush, their numbers will be kept small so as to hide until we begin the crossing. And if we keep on our guard, they will not be able to remain hidden.” The flaxen-haired ellon agreed.

“After the crossing, our company should reach Tharbad by sunset tomorrow,” Ivor mused aloud. Ohtar nodded, “Yes. And there we can replenish our supplies and find a house of healing where we may leave those who were too greatly wounded in the battle.” He turned to look back at the following troops, and his eyes fell upon Aervon riding behind Faevathor. The wounded warrior leaned heavily upon the Elf in front of him, then proudly tried to sit up straighter as he grimaced in pain.

Following the man's gaze, Ivor smiled. “That one will never be left behind in Tharbad,” Ivor said, slightly amused. Then, laughing, Ohtar replied, “Well… I shall give to you the job of suggesting it!”
maeghin
RPG Moderator &
Harbinger of Laughter

Send Message
on: April 08, 2004 06:20
Fara said not a word as he watched the men gather their belongings and whatnot after the battle. Such sights were not uncommon to the Greenwood warrior. Fara looked to his right, toward Súl. How many of Súl’s kind had Fara killed during the War? He closed his eyes and drowned out the haunting sounds of the long-ago battles. Súlfalas had proven himself in Fara’s eyes, and besides, Fara had learned long ago the art of forgiveness. They would make camp there that night, only far enough away from the sight of the battle that the stench was somewhat more bearable.

As he surveyed the landscape, he listened intently to the plans of Ivor and Ohtar. Something then caught his attention, walking gracefully through the mist. Rissa had returned from the stream, apparently she had found the peace she had been looking for. Her step was light and graceful, as though her feet never touched the ground. Her skin glowed palely in the dark air around her, seeming to lightly illuminate the stray wisps of fog winding through the ravine.

Without looking back at the Captains, Fara asked that he be excused and left, making his way toward the beauty that was his love. He walked quickly down the slope of the hill, eager to hold her once more. When he was close, he took her into his arms, while she gently rested her cheek on his breast. Fara kissed the top of her head and stroked her hair, which he now noticed she had pulled back in a long, black braid.

“You seem at peace once more.” Fara mused. Marissa raised her face so that she could look into his, while she rested her chin on his chest. Her dark eyes stared into his, and Fara knew she would be fine.

“I have come to accept things for what they are, though I fear I still do not fully comprehend.” She paused and smiled mischievously at Fara. “But then again, I do not think that anyone fully understands death, nor why it happens.”

Fara snickered and tightened his grip on her waist as he hoisted her light frame high up over his head. Rissa stretched out her arms and Fara spun in a full circle, slowly letting her fall back down, swirling around him. She laughed at the gesture, for Fara had done thusly when they first met, and it became a lover’s game with them. Rissa rose onto the tips of her toes and planted a gentle kiss upon his lips.

“Come, my love, it is cold, and I am drenched. Let us find a fire to warm ourselves by.”

Fara nodded. Together, they found a fire and a soft, dry place in the grass, where they sat. Rissa knelt close to the fire, one arm propped beneath her as a rest for her head. Her long hair fell loosely to the ground around her, and she absentmindedly rolled a strand between her fingers. Fara lay close behind her, his arm draped over her narrow waist. He softly kissed her exposed neck and snuggled closer.

“When this is all over, where do you think we shall live?” Rissa asked him, rolling onto her back, beneath Fara, while he supported himself on one arm over her.

Fara smiled, and laughed amusedly. “I do not know, my love, but we shall find a place where we shall be happy together. I promise you.” Fara lowered his head and kissed her on the forehead, lingering for a moment as he took in her warmth.

Marissa playfully pushed him away. “That’s so like you. I ask a simple question and you never truly give me a straight answer. Honestly, I don’t see why I bother with you.”

Fara smirked. “Because I’m the only one that will put up with you?”

“Hmph.” Marissa snorted. “More like I have found it in my heart to take pity on such a pathetic creature as yourself.”

Fara gasped and rolled back, falling to the ground, with his hand clenched over her heart. He moaned as though he were in pain. “I feel the end is neigh, tell Marissa I love her and that I shall always love her.” Fara closed his eyes and his body went limp.

Marissa curled her lips and shook her head. A playful spark lit in her eyes as she plucked a few strands of grass and tossed them onto his face. “Well, if you are dead, then I guess you would not mind if I found another to take your place.”

Fara sprung up and grabbed her, pulling her on top of him. “Over my dead body.”

“See, that’s the point.” Marissa teased. Then their eyes met and they felt their love for each other burning within their chests. Marissa laid her head on Fara’s chest and stared into the flames of the small fire next to them. As she listened to rhythmic beating of his heart, she slowed her breathing to match his.

“I promise I shall never again doubt your love.” Fara whispered as he combed his fingers through her hair.

Marissa closed her eyes peacefully. “And I shall never give you reason.”

Fara covered her with his cloak, and together, they rested there in silence until the dawn’s rays began to filter between the branches. The fire had burned out at some point during the night, yet they were still warm, together. He dared not move, for he didn’t want to disturb Rissa’s rest. After a moment’s time, she began to stir in his arms. Her clothes were now dry, and she felt much renewed, as did Fara.

“Good morning Sunshine, did we rest well?” Fara asked. Rissa’s smile and gentle kiss was answer enough. They did not have long to revel in each other’s company though.
The call went out throughout the camp that they would be setting out once more. They found their horses, still grazing together, nearby. Rissa’s pure white mare came to her when she saw her mistress. Fara approached Belerand, and rolled his eyes.

“Why don’t you act more like Rissa’s horse?” Fara chided him. Belerand snorted loudly, the steam from his nostrils visible in the crisp morning air. Fara knew Belerand was a loyal stead though, and they had been through much together. Fara looked up and noticed that the sky was clear, though he could feel another storm brewing off in the distance. He mounted Belerand and turned to notice that Rissa had already mounted and was on her way to where the column was forming.

They rode side-by-side, though Fara had focused his mind back on their mission. He noticed Ivor and Súl talking just ahead of them. Fara strained to hear what was said. The River… He feared crossing the River, as Súl had said, it would make the perfect place for an ambush. As they crossed, they would be slow to move, making perfect targets for the hideous black arrows of the Orcs. Fara prayed to the Valar that they would discover any such ambush attempt before it was too late.

A grumbling rumble rolled across the land. Fara looked to the West and took notice of the sky. Dark clouds had formed, large and ominous. Occasionally, he would see them glow, and eventually hear the rumble of the thunder. Fara sighed deeply. They had a long day ahead of them.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: April 10, 2004 05:47
The roiling thunderclouds matched Faevathor's mood exactly: dark - and depressing. He tried to shake it off, and think about what was ahead, but didn't have much luck. Too many memories had assaulted the ellon through the long ride. He had tried - a couple of times - to talk to the injured Aervon, but hadn't had much success there, either.

The warrior was well glad that Fara - and Rissa - were farther back in the column. Just looking at them brought agony to the dark-haired elf. He concentrated on keeping Mithfaer to an easy pace - both because of the distance - and because of Aervon.

He sat straight on Mithfaer's back, though the man behind him kept leaning heavily on him. Aervon kept trying to straighten, and could hear the soldier cursing as he slipped in - and out - of consciousness.

They were nearing the Baranduin, and Fae could hear the swollen river racing down the banks. He swore, knowing the bridge would be a difficult - and dangerous crossing.

A rumble of thunder emphasized his imprecation, and caused the wounded man to jerk upright again. "It will be worse, before it's better," Fae commented, and watched a flash of light streak across the sky. There was no answer - other than another growl. Suddenly, the elf was filled with amusement - and admiration for the man behind him. He'd fought hard - Fae had caught flashes of that during his own battles - and knew he, himself would feel the same way if he'd been hurt.

"How far to the river?" Aervon finally spoke. "Not far," the ellon replied. "But the bridge may be washed out. If not now - it will be soon." He hesitated a moment, and then said, "There are Houses of Healing in Tharbad..." "No!" the man snapped back. "I will NOT be left behind!" "That, mellon nín," Faevathor replied seriously, "you may not have a choice in, if Gon Ohtar commands it."

Fae was glad the man couldn't see his grin as Aervon responded to those words. No, he thought, this soldier was not going to be left behind easily... He caught Ivor - and Ohtar clance back at them, and saw the grins on the two captain's faces. No... Faevathor thought... they knew it too. And... it would seem that last night's battle had finally done what had been so needful: bring the two forces into a single group - judging from the conversation he could see the two leaders were having.

He spurred the grey stallion into a slightly faster pace, and the man grabbed his waist to hold on. "Well?" Faevathor said, as he came up to Súlfalas. "Do we cross at the bridge?" "So it would seem," the ellon replied. "But carefully. It is a good place for an ambush." "Indeed!" Fae agreed. Súl eyed the injured man and then met Fae's brown ones. "Don't worry about me!" the wounded soldier snapped. A gleam of amusement was shared between the two elven-warriors eyes and then they again set their faces toward the two captains in front of them. And before long, huge drops of rain began falling. Indeed, Faevathor thought, this is not going to be easy!

Aervon swore - inwardly - as well as outwardly as he tried to straighten up. He HATED being a liability! That the elf in front of him made no comments when he slumped into him, the man wasn't sure whether to appreciate or not. It was hard enough not to slip into a blessed oblivion from the pain in his head and shoulder...

He jerked when thunder roared above, and snarled at the elf-warrior's comment. He'd had quite enough of rainstorms! Struggling to maintain his equanimity, and cheeks burning that he didn't know it, Aervon asked, "How far to the river?" and nodded at... at... ah, yes... Faevathor's answer. The ellon's comment about Tharbad, however, stung him.

"No!" Aervon exclaimed, "I will NOT be left behind!" "That, mellon nín," the elf replied seriously, "you may not have a choice in, if Gon Ohtar commands it." Aervon swore long and loudly at that for a few minutes, and was then silent. No, he thought, he would not disobey a direct order, but still... he agonized over the possibility his captain might do just that.

And then, he had to hold on quickly to the elf's waist when Faevathor sped his horse up. The soldier did not miss the strange ellon's concerned glance at him, and responded accordingly. He would NOT be having ANYONE worry about HIM!

And when the rain came, Aervon snarled again. By all that was holy, the man was truly coming to hate it! As another flash of lightening lit the darkened sky though, the man wondered how indeed, as the thunder rumbled again - they would be able to cross the river safely, and as best he could, kept a close watch on Ohtar's back - and waited.
maeghin
RPG Moderator &
Harbinger of Laughter

Send Message
on: April 27, 2004 05:47
(A long one to make up for lost time :love: )

As the morning grew old and mid-day approached, the echoes of thunder grew louder. The storm was rapidly approaching. Fara looked to the sky, to where he knew the Sun should be, yet there was naught but a slightly lighter patch of grey cloud. The winds, which came from behind, picked up and caught Fara’s hair, flinging what strands weren’t braided into his face. He reached up and tucked them neatly behind his ears, and then drew the hood of his cloak up. The first drops of water began to fall, first as a sprinkle, but soon the air was heavy with water. Fara squinted in a vain attempt to shield his eyes, whilst his face was assailed by the falling drops.

Lightning flashed, brightening the sky for a brief moment before the booming echo of thunder followed. The ground was saturated from the deluge which fell from the skies. Fara stroked Belerand’s mane, knowing his steed must be having a rough time in the sloppy muck which now covered the ground. Fara inspected the horses of Fae and Ohtar, who rode immediately in front of him. Their hocks were caked with mud, up to their bellies. Fara sighed, he hated to ride in a torrential downpour, but he knew they must press on; for their mission was of utmost importance to the success of the Men and Elf’s assault.

As they drew nearer to the Branaduin, Fara winced as the sound of the raging, turbulent waters reached his ears. This did not bode well for their crossing. After a few minutes more, the river came into view. It was just as they had feared. The recent rains had swelled the great River, which overflowed its banks. The bridge still stood, though the waters now raced over it, a few feet deep. Fara grimaced at the sight. The waters were undoubtedly cold, and there would be no avoiding the inevitable drenching their crossing would be. As the column halted, Fara brought his mount up next to Ivor’s. They searched the area for any signs of would-be attackers, but found none in the immediate area.

“What think you, Gon Faramond?” Ivor asked Fara. Fara inspected the area.

“I think we should test the bridge first, it may prove to be a better place to cross.” He glanced at the torrents. The shear velocity of the water would make it almost impossible to attempt to swim across. “The current is too strong to ford here. Unless we take the flooded bridge, we would have to find another place. And that, mellon nín, may take all day.”

Ivor nodded, his eyes showed that he had expected such an answer. “Very well then, I shall go first, any other volunteers?”

“I will test it.” Fae called forth. Ivor turned to the ellon, and then to his extra passenger, and shook his head.

“I shall.” piped up Ohtar. Apparently, the Captain of the Edain wished for the men to have a say in the matter. “You should stay back, Fae, and cross with the others.”

Fara snickered at the look of dejection on Fae’s face, and then turned to Ivor. “Gon Ivorcheneb, it would probably be best if you stayed here with the others, we shall still need one Captain left when Captain Ohtar is washed down the River.” Fara winked at Ohtar, then pulled Belerand’s reigns, “Well, it was my idea to test the bridge, so I guess I shall go.”

Ohtar raised an eyebrow and regarded Fara. The smile on the ellon’s face was broad, and Ohtar had no choice but to laugh. “In that case, I shall make sure to take you with me.” The Captain of the Edain rebuked.

Fara nodded. “Well then, Captain Ohtar, shall we?” Fara urged his mount forward, and then held out his arm for Ohtar to take, in a mock gesture. The Edain Captain just shook his head and snickered. Fara shrugged. When Ohtar was next to him, Fara grew serious once more, he urged Belerand forth, and together the two approached the frigid waters.

As their steeds were up to their hocks, Ohtar’s horse began to protest. Fara stopped Belerand to wait whilst Ohtar gained control of his horse. They had to wade for a few feet before they even reached the start of the bridge. Fara could feel the cold waters as they soaked through his boots, and a chill raced through his body. Belerand nickered furiously as his belly became immersed, yet he did not falter.

Luckily, the waters were on the bridge were only deep enough to reach the horse’s belly, yet still the crossing would be treacherous. The boards of the bridge were swollen and wet, thus making them hazardously slippery. Belerand’s hooves skidded occasionally, yet he maintained his balance. Fara kept an eye on Ohtar and his mount. He knew Belerand’s abilities, but was unsure about those of the Captain’s horse.

Ohtar cursed on occasion, signifying that his horse was indeed having a difficult time. After about ten minutes, they had reached the other side. Fara was relieved to have solid ground beneath him once more, however muddy it was. He turned Belerand and listened as Ohtar yelled above the din of the current and falling rain.

“It is treacherous, yet it is doable.” He waved to Ivor. Ivor nodded and turned to the column, giving them their orders. Súl made his way to the middle of the column, and Fae to the rear. Ivor had spread them to help the others if needed.

As they began to cross, Fara turned to examine their surroundings. First, he looked to the ground. The dirt looked as though it had been tread, yet it was hard to make out how long ago, due to the falling rain. The hair stood on his neck as Belerand shook his head and snorted. They were not alone. Fara scanned the trees and underbrush with his sharp eyes, yet he saw nothing. A bird sang in one of the nearby trees and Fara’s eyes went wide.

“What is it my friend?” Ohtar asked. Fara put up a hand to silence him as his face went pale.

“Have you ever heard a bird sing like that in the pouring rain?” Fara asked in a worried voice. He turned to the advancing column. Ivor, who was at the lead, was almost half way across, whilst Fae, at the rear, had not even begun to cross yet.

“Turn back!” Fara shouted. “It is a trap!”

Just then, a loud crash came from the surrounding woods as several Orcs sprang from their hiding places. “We are found! Push the attack!” one of the Orcs cried. A horn blast signified the call to arms for the Orcs.

Fara heard a hissing sound coming toward him, through the rain. He realized it was an arrow, only too late, for the dark arrow had already struck him in the leg. He cursed as he drew his own bow and returned fire. A searing pain raced through his left shoulder, as another arrow had struck him from behind. Realizing that he was an open target on Belerand’s back, he quickly dismounted and swatted his horse on the shanks, sending him on his way. His leg burned as he put his weight on it, but there was no time to remove the arrow, or he would find another lodged in him. He dove to the ground as he dodged the next volley, which sliced through the thick air. The mud was a few inches thick, and it coated his body in a layer of brownish muck. He reached to his back and tried to pull the arrow, but to no avail, so he broke the shaft off instead. Undaunted, he rose to one knee and continued to fire.

It was hard to see his target through the falling rain and wind, and he found that on occasion, he missed. Searching for Ohtar, he found the Captain had his sword drawn and charged the Orc archers, slicing through them in a furry of steel and might. Fara could hear shouts from behind. Though he dared not turn, nor take his attention from the fight before him, he could tell that the column was being attacked from the other side of the River as well. Fara cursed himself for not seeing the trap sooner.

With his arrows spent, Fara drew his sword and raced blindly onward. He made his way toward Ohtar, who was, by now, surrounded by the Orcs and fighting furiously to fend them off. Their best chance of surviving this would be to fight as one. As Fara came close, the furious Captain turned and swung at him. Fara, not suspecting this, quickly blocked the blow, but not before it nicked him in the shoulder. Ohtar stared at the mud-covered Elf before him in disbelief as the rain began to wash the filth from his fair features.

“Duck!” Fara yelled as he lunged forward and stabbed an Orc from behind Ohtar. “Let us fight as one!” Fara shouted. Ohtar nodded and turned his back to Fara, together, the two fought the oncoming attackers, struggling for their very survival.

The battle seemed to last for an age. Fara’s arms had grown weary, and his leg and shoulder throbbed with a fiery pain. The pumping of his blood, the roar of the River, the thunderous booms of the storm, the shouts of both friend and foe, and the clash of weaponry rang throughout the air, so loud that Fara found it hard to hear his own thoughts. The world seemed a haze of battle and rain.

Finally, a great horn blast cut through the air, repeatedly. The Orcs began to slowly retreat. Ohtar followed after them, racing in his rage to not let them escape. He was stopped when Fara grasped his arm. The ellon fell to his knees and began to breathe heavily. The battle was over, now was the time to regroup and gather their strength.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Marissa watched as her love began to cross the raging River. She prayed that he would make it safely. It took several minutes for them to cross, for the River was wide and the current strong. Remembering what she had heard about the bridge being the perfect place for an attack, she turned her gaze from Fara to search the shoreline around her. To her relief, there was nothing in the area to signify anything was amiss.

“It is treacherous, yet it is doable.” Ohtar called from the other side of the River. Rissa smiled and sighed, at least they would be able to cross here. Ivor sent a command through the column.

“We cross here, but take care my warriors. This shall be no easy task.” He turned to Súl and Fae and spoke a few words. The two ellons nodded and made their way to the middle and end of the column, respectively. Rissa assumed Ivor wanted his best men spread through the column to help those who might need their aid.

Ivor began his crossing, the column followed behind. They went slower than Fara and Ohtar had, being cautious of the raging waters below them. The horse next to Rissa’s slipped and fell to its knees, throwing its rider into the water. Rissa reached out and grasped the poor, wide-eyed man’s hand before the current could carry him away. His horse was not so lucky though. It began to be swept downstream, though it still managed to swim back to the shore. Rissa hung desperately to the man’s wrist, fighting to keep him against the force of the current. Súl, who had been only a short distance behind them, quickly approached the two. He positioned his horse next to the man and let the current help the man to mount behind him.

Rissa breathed a sigh of relief and smiled as the man nodded in appreciation. The middle of the column was about a third of the way onto the bridge, while Fae and the end of the column had not even begun to cross yet. Fara’s voice pierced the roar of the river and the raging storm.

“Turn back!” He shouted. “It is a trap!”

Rissa caught her breath quickly as she looked to her love, just in time to see the arrow strike him.

“No!” She shouted. She urged her horse forward, but it was no use, she had to wait for the horses in front of her to go first. She heard shouts from behind and turned. Orcs were racing up the path they had just arrived on. Apparently, they had been waiting some distance away, so as not to be noticed. With the slow going on the bridge, they would have plenty of time to arrive for the attack. Rissa cursed. The trap had been sprung, but which way would she go? She was closer to the shore behind her, but her love needed her on the other side of the River. Her head spun as she debated. Finally, she determined that by the time she arrived on the other side of the River, it would be too late to help Fara, yet she would be able to help those behind her.

She tightened her grip on her horse’s reigns and pulled them forcibly to the left, making her horse turn. She urged it back over the bridge, where Fae and the others were valiantly fighting off the attackers. She heard a shout from behind her as someone was carried down the River. There was nothing she could do for them, so she pressed on to the shore. When she arrived, she dismounted and drew her sword. The attackers were too close now for her bow, this would be a melee fight. Rissa fought with all her strength, the adrenaline raced through her body and she pressed on, through the falling rain. Lightning struck a nearby tree and shattered the air with a tremendous crackling of sound.

The horses screamed and the river roared as they fought for their very lives. Finally, all the attackers from their side of the River had been dispatched, for the vast majority of the column had returned to the bank to fight. Rissa turned and searched the opposite shore, desperately searching for Fara. There were but a few warriors on that side of the River, the few who had managed to press on and successfully cross. They were greatly outnumbered yet they fought fiercely. Rissa wished to cross the River to help them, but found that the bridge was inaccessible due to the others who were already on the structure. All she could do was to follow after them, and watch, hoping they would make it across in time to help the others.

After many minutes, more warriors began to reach the other side. The Orcs, realizing any further attempts would be in vain, began to retreat. The low, hollow sound of a horn permeated the falling rain. The Orcs were in full retreat. Rissa was still only two-thirds of the way over the bridge at this point. She watched Fara as he grasped Ohtar and then fell to his knees. Her love was hurt and needed her.

[Edited on 28/4/2004 by maeghin]
Rudhwethiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 03, 2004 02:25
As his captain had ordered, Súlfalas positioned himself in the middle of the column of warriors. The rain was falling hard and thick, an angry rain that seemed to be doing everything it could to hinder their progress. The ellon leaned to one side of his mount, then the other, checking to make sure Caden's saddle was securely fastened. He did not wish to fall into the roaring Baranduin!
Marissa rode nearby, her gaze locked on Faramond as he began the crossing. Súlfalas moved his horse as close to hers as he could without drawing her attention, he had guarded Ivorcheneb's love without question, and he would do the same for Faramond's. Though I do say Faramond has the better deal of the two, Súlfalas thought to himself, comparing Marissa's radiance and warmth to Saida's cold, dangerous manner.

Slowly the column began to advance. Súl appeared calm, as ever, but every muscle was tense as he strained to see or hear anything amiss in the downpour. Caden's hooves touched the flooded bridge, and were as quickly swept off by the raging river. The giant black horse struggled for a moment, then beneath Súl's steadying hand he brought his head up and regained his footing. The going was slow, but they began to move forward at a steady pace. Suddenly, a horse went down just ahead of the ellon, and its rider was thrown into the churning river. Súlfalas knew he could never reach the man before he was swept away by the current, and he groaned in despair as he urged Caden toward the man. Just when it seemed the man would surely drown, Marissa reached out and grasped the rider's hand. Good girl! Súl exulted silently. But he knew Rissa could not hold on for very long before the river would claim both her and the man. Pulling Caden slongside them, he pulled the man into the saddle behind him with the help of the current.

Just then he heard the dreaded cry: "Turn back! It is a trap!" But even if Súlfalas had been inclined to turn back, which he most certainly was not, it would have been to no avail. The orcs were behind them as well as ahead.

Saida and Caun maintained their usual position at the rear of the column. Their mounts had not yet reached the bridge when the black orcs emerged from their hiding places with a cry. The northern elves immdeiately dismounted, knowing that their best fighting would be done on foot. Caun drew two longs knives from his belt and waited with deadly anticipation as the creatures approached. Saida in like manner pulled the wicked curved knife she always carried from the folds of her robes. The beasts were upon them.

As one Saida and Caun began a lethal path into the midst of the orc host. Their lithe frames spun and dodged blows, slashing and stabbing with unfailing accuracy. Saida felt a white-hot hatred burning within her; hatred of the orcs and all that they were . . . and most of all, she hated the knowledge of what they had been. Even in the midst of battle, horrible images and sights came to her mind- things people in her village knew never to speak of, things that had occurred on their very doorstep. They must die, a voice in her mind screamed; she pressed on with even greater determination.

After a bloody hour that seemed like an eternity, the orc-horn at last sounded. The foul creatures were retreating. When the last one had disappeared into the darkness, Saida stood rigid in the darkness, breathing heavily. Her knife was clenched so tightly in her fist that the handle cut into her palm. Their horses had fled, frightened away by the battle. Caun was gone as well, probably to find the horses or to follow the others across the bridge. Saida had learned long ago not to rely on him, so his disappearance just after the bloody battle was no great shock.

Wiping the black orc-blood from the knife's blade, she hid it once again within her robes and began moving towards the bridge. She did not know if she could cross it without a horse, but it seemed she had no other choice. Just as she was about to set foot in the river, a horse rode in front of her, blocking her path. The rider motioned for her to mount behind him and held out his hand. His face was obscured by the rain, and the horse looked like every other mud-covered mount. However, he wasn't an orc, and she had a much better chance of crossing the the river with him than she did on her own. Without attempting to speak above the rain, she grabbed his hand and allowed him to pull her up behind him. He checked to make sure her arms were wrapped tightly around his waist, then they set off across the bridge.

With her arms wrapped around the rider as they were, Saida could not help but notice the firm muscles of his abdomen, and the strong set of his slender shoulders. She could feel the warmth of his body through their rain-soaked clothing. Perhaps this wasn't such a bad idea . . . Just then, a gust of wind tore loose the braid that the rider had tucked inside the back of his armor. The unusually long braid lashed Saida across the face, and she knew then her rescuer.

Saida began to struggle to get off the horse. Not a wise decision, as they were still ten yards from the other shore. "Be still or you'll kill us both!" Ivorcheneb cried in frustration, his voice barely rising above the roaring of the river. She forced herself to be still, the tips of her pointed ears turning crimson as she remembered her thoughts of only a few moments past. :blush:

[Edited on 4/5/2004 by Rudhwethiel]
gwendeth
Send Message
on: May 08, 2004 05:39
Mithfaer shifted uneasily underneath Faevathor as he and Aervon waited their turn to cross the bridge. The swollen river was racing past, and the pouring rain made it difficult for even the elf to see very far.
"Turn back! It is a trap!"

Fae barely heard the cry, but his attention was immediately captured by orcs swarming in from behind them and the others still on THIS side of the river.

Swearing mightily, Fae yanked his sword from his sheath, and could hear Aervon doing the same. He desperately hoped the man could fight from horseback as he sliced into the nearest beast. The ellon knew they didn't dare dismount...

Fae switched his sword to his left hand so as not to interfere with the thrusts the human behind him was making. Where had they come from? he wondered as he beheaded one who was trying to pull him off his stallion's back. Mithfaer reared and brought his front hooves down on another. Aervon, unprepared, was nearly unseated, and Faevathor could hear imprecations from the warrior as Aervon grabbed his waist. "Av-'osto!" Fae cried, as the two returned to the battle.

'Don't fear' he'd told the man, but Faevathor felt it himself. They - he and Aervon were at a distinct disadvantage as they fought. First; they were TWO on horseback, which restricted both their movements, and second; the human's wounds didn't allow him to fight as Fae knew he really could...

Suddenly, the ellon screamed when he received a nasty slash across the left side of his waist. Not fatal, he knew, but still, it would hamper him further. Faevathor switched his blade back to his other hand and thrust again at their enemies. Rage flowed through him, and this time it wasn't because of Elvainiel.

How long they battled, Fae couldn't tell, but breathed a sigh of relief when it was over. The rain was falling even more heavily, and he was very, very, glad of Mithfaer's sure-footedness as they finally, cautiously crossed the bridge. Dully, the two joined the others. Faevathor's side ached, and even the pouring rain couldn't hide his blood-soaked shirt.

"Hie! Súlfalas!" he heard Aervon's call as if far away, and only the man's grip kept the ellon from falling off his horse's back as the Northern elf quickly rode up. "Ai, Eru!" Súl exclaimed, and grabbed Fae's arm while the human slipped off.

Faevathor winced and growled angrily as the two helped him down. "Bind it!" he snarled, hating that his injury might delay their movement forward...

Aervon snarled, and as quickly as he could, unsheathed his sword. Fortunately, he thought, it was his LEFT shoulder that was wounded, and not his right...

Valiantly he fought, and swore aloud that he wasn't doing so at full-strength... and did so even louder when the grey stallion rose to attack one of their enemies. Aervon winced as he quickly grasped the elf's waist to keep from falling off.

"Av-'osto!" Fae cried, as the two returned to the battle. Fear? Aervon snarled as he dispatched another orc. He had no fear! At least... he didn't until the elf screamed in agony. A chill ran through the man, but he kept fighting, adding what he could to the numbers of dead orcs.

Aervon, too, was glad the ellon's horse was sure-footed when, at last, they slowly made their way to the other side. The battle had aggrivated the ache in his head and shoulder, and the man could well see the red stain at Faevathor's side. Oaths poured out of him when the ellon reeled backwards, and the human grabbed frantically to keep Fae astride, calling, "Hie! Súlfalas!" to the only other elf whose name he knew...

With the elf's help, Aervon dismounted quickly, but painfully, and ignored his own discomfort to help Súlfalas with Faevathor. And, he couldn't help but grin inwardly at Fae's angry comment. The elf was as determined to keep going as HE was, and could well appreciate his feelings.

Ohtar rode up quickly then, running his keen eyes over the two of them. "Are you all right?" he asked. Aervon nodded, and the human captain turned to the elf. "Fae?" he asked, and very nearly, Aervon laughed aloud at the ellon's growling response: "Just get this wound taken care of, so we can keep moving!!" Fighting back his amusement, Aervon met his Capatain's eyes, and was finally overset by the answering gleam he saw. No... their predicament was NOT funny, and they'd come through much so far, the man knew, but somehow, his laughter relieved the stress of the battle, his own wounds, and the dangerous road ahead.

[Edited on 8/5/2004 by gwendeth]
Faenauliel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: May 10, 2004 02:42
At the head of the column, the flaxen haired ellon nudged Celeg into action. Approaching the treacherous crossing, he reached up and pushed his long braid down into the back of his armor. How embarrassing would it be if caught upon some piece of floating garbage and pulled me right off into the river? He smiled at the thought, but—with a quick glance back at the rear of the column…at her—he wondered if such an end would not be easier than this torture.

He kicked Celeg a bit harder and the muscular creature leapt onto the submerged bridge. Instantly, Ivor felt the sway of the stallion correcting its’ footing upon the slippery wood beneath. Noticing that others began to follow close behind, the Elven Captain thought it would probably be better if they crossed in small groups, in case they may need to reverse their direction in a hurry. He turned to give the order, but before any sound could escape his throat, the shrill call of a bird came from the thickets surrounding the raging Baranduin.

As the bird-call sounded, a cold chill ran across his flesh… Ivorcheneb could not place why, but he felt that something was amiss. Then the horrid cry reached him, Turn back!... It is a trap! and his stomach sank. “Saida!” he hissed aloud as he saw the black figures rushing from their places of hiding—black swords raised high.

With the other horses pushing from behind, Celeg fought Ivor’s desperate attempts to turn him, and powered through the swift current to the far side of the angry Baranduin. The Elf drew Acharn as Celeg gained the shore and sliced through the two nearest orcs. Celeg—his nostrils flared and eyes wide—kicked and stomped through the rushing glamhoth while Ivorcheneb swung his great sword in wide arcs. Black blood stained the silver pelt of the stallion as they raged through the battle.

Gon Ivor turned the raging horse and urged him into a gallop, riding through the fury. “To me!” he commanded. “Riders! To me!” Rallying those still mounted, he led them in a tight column to flank the raging orc host. They broke through the enemy’s archers and battled their way back toward the torrent of the river.

When, at last, the horrid call of the orc horn sounded and the enemy began to retreat, Ivor broke away from the column. Without letting Celeg lose momentum, he urged the steed back onto the treacherous bridge.

The storm—which had slowed—picked up again, and the rain and mists gave the battle fields on both sides of the water an eerie, other-worldly feel. It became increasingly difficult to see through the torrent as the thunder roared overhead.

Once across, Ivor began to barely hold his panic at bay. He could not find her…

Just as he was about to shout her name, his eyes fell upon the familiar sight of her small frame. She was wiping blood off of the dangerous blade which the ellon knew all too well. Then she turned, apparently set upon crossing the swollen, rushing waters on foot! He shook his head and smiled. Pulling up hard on the reigns, he slowed Celeg to a walk, bringing the horse between the elleth and the raging water.

He reached out his hand… and surprisingly, Saida took it! He was taken aback when she allowed him to pull her up behind him. Unconsciously, he held his breath as she wrapped her delicate, muscular arms tightly about his waist. Then he nudged Celeg back into the frigid Baranduin.

Feeling Saida’s hands upon his abdomen through his rain-soaked tunic, a sudden warmth rushed through Ivor. He shuddered as if from a great chill, then shook his head to clear his mind. As he did so, a huge gust of wind unsettled the braid which had been slowly making its way free from his movements in the battle. He felt his rogue hair lash Saida’s face and groaned, knowing that he would certainly be made to pay miserably for such a trespass. Quickly, he reached up and pulled the braid around in front of him, holding it in his hand with Celeg’s reigns.

The instant she had been hit by his hair, Saida had begun to struggle as if she would jump into the rushing waters. The shifting of her weight—however slight she was—was making it difficult, indeed, for Celeg to keep a sure footing upon the slippery bridge. Ivor could feel him dance beneath them as he neighed angrily into the storm and fought to stay upright.

“Be still or you’ll kill us both!” Ivorcheneb cried loudly. Why does she struggle so? his confused mind wondered. Holding the reigns with his right hand, he placed his left over Saida’s hands which were still clenched about him in an attempt to calm her.

As soon as they gained the distant shore, Saida quickly jumped free from Celeg’s back. She nearly went sprawling in the mud, such was her haste to be off the horse. Ivor looked down at her, his crystal eyes full of worry… In Saida’s he saw a deeply buried fear. He dismounted to stand near her, holding his hand out to try to help steady her upon the slippery shore. “It is alright,” he said lamely, misunderstanding the fear in those grey eyes. “We are safely across.”

Instantly, any fear he might have seen was replaced by hate as Saida’s eyes narrowed and she scowled at him. Then—without a word—she turned and left him standing alone in the raging storm.

[Edited on 11/5/2004 by Faenauliel]
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 17, 2004 09:34
((Hiya! I'm back!))

Ohtar had lost the track of time from the moment Faramond had screamed "It's a trap!" and he had noticed the orcs attacking. It had seemed a suicide - to stand against a number of orcs in an uneven battle. There was one moment Ohtar had thought that this would be his last fight - but then Faramond had come and stood by his side. And funny so: the simple knowledge that he was not alone gave the man the missing strength to fight the attack back. He would even have followed the fleeing enemies until the last one of the four creatures was down, but the tight grip of Faramond's hand stopped him. Looking back, Ohtar saw in terror the tall ellon falling down to his knees.

The orcs were instantly forgotten. Ohtar gently pushed Fara down on the muddy ground and after a short inspection of the elf's wounded leg removed the arrow. Faramond moaned softly. Ohtar wished it would rain more and wash away the dirt. He wasn't sure wether elves too could die from an infection, but it was better not to risk. And he didn't have anything with him to bind the wound with! Cursing to himself, Ohtar pressed the wound close even though he knew it caused pain to the elf.

"Fara!" a soft female voice screamed, terror trembling in it. Marissa knelt down by her love's side and lifted her tearing eyes to meet Ohtar's.

"He's alive, but his wounds need to be tended."

She nodded and grabbed he poach.

"Press the wound," she ordered Ohtar, and he watcked her in amusement as she bound the arrow wound. Then she moved to Fara's shoulder, and Ohtar winced in the memory of who had been the one to make it. He had never made such a mistake before! One that could have proved to be fatal... He stood up and walked a few steps away, thinking. A lone shadow caught his eye. It was his horse, standing by a bush and looking at him sadly. Ohtar walked to the animal and stroke his nose.

"It's al right, my boy. We did it."

The dark brown mount snorted in response and shook his head energically, that made Ohtar smile.

Aervon's voice caught his attention. Ohtar turned to see Fae slipping off the horse. Was every elf wounded here?!

Ohtar rode up quickly then, running his keen eyes over the two of them. "Are you all right?" he asked. Aervon nodded, and the human captain turned to the elf. "Fae?" he asked, and very nearly, Aervon laughed aloud at the ellon's growling response: "Just get this wound taken care of, so we can keep moving!!" Fighting back his amusement, Aervon met his Capatain's eyes, and was finally overset by the answering gleam he saw.

With relief, Ohtar saw that both Fae and Aervon would be all right. He looked around, searching for the rest of his men. Vanrick was there, holding two horses, the experienced warrior showed no emotions and Ohtar couldn't tell whether he was hurt or not. Two weren't seen, another four were being tended by others. Under the pouring rain, Ohtar walked to talk to each and every one and make sure they were holding through. Some needed a soft word of comfort, others a compliment on a good fight, for some it was enough with a strong handshake. With sorrow, Ohtar was forced to admit that he would have to leave three men here. Their wounds were too severe to recover. He wanted to sit down and not to think about anything, but he had no right to. His men's spirit depended on him, so he moved on, coming to Vanrick at last.

"How are they, Captain?"

"Not too well," Ohtar answered. They are not ready for the difficulties we meet here. They are still too green. And they are afraid."

"They will get over it, you know they will. Everybody does."

"Or dies," Ohtar answered. "And I don't want to leave my men behind like those who... I can't see two other here."

"One is on the other bank of the river. He won't come, Captain. And the other one got carried away by the stream."

"Our forces are growing smaller with each day. And we still have all the long road in front of us!"
We still remember, we who dwell In this far land, beneath the trees The starlight on the Western seas...
In the Realm of Ulmo
maeghin
RPG Moderator &
Harbinger of Laughter

Send Message
on: May 18, 2004 04:14
Fara held to Ohtar’s arm, as though asking the man for his assistance. In his mind, Fara’s thoughts swirled, as did his sight. He was dizzy and light-headed, watching the falling rain as though it fell in slow motion. In his ears, all he could hear was the sound of his own heart… pounding, pounding, louder and louder, as though it would eventually make his head explode. The way his surroundings whirled about him, made Fara feel queasy, his stomach turning within him. He closed his eyes tightly, in an attempt to block out the nauseous motion of the land, but that proved to be a bad mistake. He felt his stomach do one last flip as he fell to the Earth and all faded to black.

Marissa urged her mount forth, fuming that the going was slow. She gasped as she watched Fara fall to the ground. Her heart seemed to beat still in her chest, as though it were her that lay wounded upon the ground. When she regained her breath, she cursed the rain, and the waters, and even the riders before her, for all of them hindered her way to her love. Finally, she reached the opposite shore. As her horse made its first step on solid ground, Rissa practically dove from his back, while she simultaneously flung her bag of healing supplies over her shoulder.

“Fara.” She called, unable to mask the terror in her quavering voice. Her heart raced uncontrollably, as she ran, leaping over the carcasses of Orcs which strewn the land. When she made it to her love, she dropped to her knees. Ohtar was already leaning over him, examining his wounds, when Rissa practically pulled Fara from him. She cradled his head to her chest and closed her eyes.

“May the Valar spare him.” She whispered in a shivering voice. Tears fell from her eyes as she lowered him to her lap and studied his fair face. Her shaking hand gently brushed the strands of his hair back so she could see her love clearly. His skin was pale, almost white. Rissa choked back a sob and froze. She was a healer and knew what she must do, yet she found that she could not even move. She sat there, holding him upon her lap, lost in a mist of confusion and fear. Her lips shivered and her chest faltered, all strength fled from her limbs.

She turned her tear-streaked toward Ohtar. The man seemed to sense her fear, he nodded his head, as though telling her that he had faith in her.

"He's alive, but his wounds need to be tended." The Edain Captain urged her.

Marissa pursed her lips and the haze began to clear before her eyes. She took the bag from her shoulder and began rummaging through it, searching for bandages and healing herbs. She knew the most important thing at this point was to keep the bleeding to a minimum, and only pressure applied to the wound would remedy that.

"Press the wound," She ordered Ohtar, forgetting that he held a higher status than she. She tore Fara’s pant leg just above the wound, enough so that she could get a clear look at the wound and be able to easily clean it. She poured a mixture over it, which made Fara groan in pain.

She looked up to his face, twisted in pain. Her breathing faltered once more, and she wished only to hold him tightly and comfort him. She felt terrible for causing even more pain to her love, yet she knew that if she didn’t, his life may be forfeit.

“Im naer, melmenya.”* She whispered. When his leg was bandaged, she turned her attention to the cut on his arm. It was not large, yet it was very straight and clean, something she thought odd for an Orcish weapon, which usually tore the flesh. Ohtar stood, and Rissa looked up to him, something was bothering the Captain. Rissa assumed he was just recovering after the battle and left it at that. She then resumed her efforts on Fara’s arm, and soon it was cleaned and bandaged.

Rissa breathed a sigh of relief. The hard part was over, now all there was left, was for Fara to heal. She bent and placed a gentle kiss upon his lips. They were so cold. She sighed and bowed her head. Then, she noticed something mixed in with the mud. It was blood. Her body froze and she caught her breath. Frantically, she began examining him. There had to be another wound. She grasped his heavy outer tunic and pulled it open, yet there was no blood to be had on his chest. She took his shoulder and gently rolled him onto his side. Her eyes misted over as she caught sight of the broken shaft of a black arrow, still protruding from his back.

“Ai!” She gasped. “Somebody help me!” She yelled, knowing that she was not strong enough to pull the arrow out herself. Someone came quickly and knelt next to the sobbing elleth. They took the arrow firmly in their hand and pulled it straight out. A rush of blood followed the point and the person placed their hand securely on the wound. Marissa just stared.

“This cannot be happening.” She whispered. “Not to you, not to us.”

“Marissa, what do you want me to do?” the person asked in a soothing, yet urgent voice.

Rissa snapped back and stared at the person, though the mist had once again shrouded her sight. She closed her eyes tightly, forcing a stream of tears down her cheeks. When she opened them once more, she found she could see clearly. She took out the same mixture she had used on his leg and a large wad of cloth, which she would use as a compress. She nodded to the person, who took their hand away. Quickly, Rissa poured the fluid on his wound. Fara weakly gasped as the fluid began to burn. Rissa quickly placed the cloth on the wound and signaled the person to take it and hold the pressure once more.

“The herbs will promote the thickening of the blood, and also sanitize any dirt that may have gotten into the wound.” She explained, although she was talking to no one in particular, merely reciting what her teacher had taught her. “Now, we must bandage the wound. Do not remove the original cloth from the wound, for it will help to stop the bleeding quicker. Wrap the bandage tightly about chest.”

She looked down to Fara as she began to take off his tunics. This proved tricky, since they still needed to apply pressure at the same time. But, eventually, they managed. She took out a long, strong strip of cloth from the bag and began to wrap it around his chest. When it was fully wrapped, she sat down next to him. She was exhausted by now. The person, who had come to help her, placed their cloak on the ground, so that Fara would at least be out of the mud. Rissa rolled him over and placed her own cloak over his bare chest. She began to gently clean the mud from his face with a fairly clean piece of cloth. The person who had assisted them, must have decided to leave the two alone, and took their leave, without a word. Rissa was too preoccupied with Fara to even notice they had left.

After what seemed an age of waiting, though it was only a little less than a half hour, Fara slowly opened his eyes. He opened his mouth to say something, but Rissa placed a gentle finger to his lips.

“Avo bedo, melmenya.”* She whispered softly to him. She knew now that he would be just fine. He smiled to her and raised his hand to place gently on her cheek. Rissa placed her own on top of it and smiled down at him.

“You had better never do that to me again.” She admonished him, yet her voice was still gentle and slightly shaky. Fara only smiled in return. They remained there for some time, sharing tales of their view of the battle. Fara purposely left out the part about Ohtar mistaking him for one of the Orcs, he knew the Captain must feel extremely awkward about it, and he would speak with him later about it. For now, he tried to rest, and regain his strength. Rissa’s healing skills would see to it that he could at least ride again, at least until they reached Tharbad, which was still a days ride ahead of them. They would have to see how far his healing had progressed until then, whether he would continue with the party or be left behind to heal.

*”I’m sorry, my love.”
*”Do not speak, my love”
gwendeth
Send Message
on: May 20, 2004 04:10
The rain had eased, but not stopped. Once all the wounds were tended too, Ivor and Ohtar gave their next orders: to bury their dead comrades. A grim, sorrowful, task, but no one complained. It was the least they could do. It took an hour, perhaps, but again, it seemed to matter not - to anyone.

After they'd completed their task, and everyone remaining had gathered to pay their last respects, the humans were rather surprised when the elves of their company began to sing. It was their custom though, to sing their slain companion's souls to rest.

"A Elbereth Gilthoniel
silivren penna míriel
o menel aglar elenath!
Na-chaered palan-díriel
O galadhremmin ennorath,
Fanuilos le linnathon
nef aer, sí nef aearon."*

When the song died away, the group started to break up, heading for their horses in preparation to head out again. All stopped, however, when Faevathor began a second song. And in his heart - and mind - Fae added one more soul to the unspoken list: Elvainiel's. He hadn't had a chance to do so yet, but the dark-haired ellon knew it needed to be done. And though it didn't affect his voice, the still-falling raindrops couldn't hide the tears on his cheeks.

"Ai Thoniel vain, ai echadril nan giliath,
i thiliar vi menil doer!
Togo faer rîn,
nan Themais Mandos, herim!
A dorthathar ren aen vi meleth a gell;
Hebo 'uir rîn thenin,
a anno hîdh nan noeth rîn -
a reno le melenner mae!"**

Around him, barely noticed, Faevathor could sense his friends. Ivor was gripping his shoulder tightly, Súl, and Faramond - with Rissa, even Ohtar and Aervon were with him. Fae's voice died away, and he nodded bleakly to the two Captains and then headed for Mithfaer. The elf cursed inwardly - and outwardly - that he needed assistance in remounting his grey stallion. And… was rather surprised when Aervon chose to ride behind him again, though the man was holding his own horse's reins. Faevathor shook his head to himself. So be it, he thought, and was so preoccupied with other musings, he barely noticed when a messenger was sent back.

But, as the troupe headed out again, Fae spurred Mithfaer next to Súlfalas, Faramond and Rissa. The ellon barely glanced at the elleth and then met the Northern elf's eyes fully. "When we get to Tharbad," he said quietly, "I want one of those rings. - Make it a silver one." With no other words, Faevathor urged his horse into a faster pace, bringing himself - and Aervon - up behind Ivor and Ohtar. It would be painful, the elf knew, but it was nothing compared to the ache that chimed in his heart.

Aervon was glad to find he was moving a little less stiffly as he helped gather the fallen warriors - both human and elven. The man was rather surprised when the elves started singing, though he stood respectfully while they did so. He'd started to move away, when Faevathor suddenly started another song.

The man was startled at the elf's tears and Fae's overt grief. Obviously, the ellon had lost someone close to him - and quite recently. Although he felt a little awkward doing so, Aervon stayed nearby. It was, he thought, the least he could do, and waited silently for the second song to end.

Aervon took time to retrieve his own mount - the ellon who'd been leading it was now dead - and then walked painfully back to the grey stallion. The man hated to admit it, but knew he still couldn't ride alone. So, after Faevathor had been helped up to his horse's back, Aervon joined him. He could have, he supposed, chosen to ride with someone else, but… Aervon liked and respected this elven warrior. Leading his horse beside Mithfaer, the man held on as well as he could.
"When we get to Tharbad," he said quietly, "I want one of those rings. - Make it a silver one."

Ring? Aervon was puzzled. What ring? And then he remembered the rings in Súlfalas' ears… and the one in the elven Captain's… and one other elf. Hmmm… he thought, and shuddered. Strange beings these elves, but he said nothing as Fae moved them behind the two leaders.

The road was difficult, and not surprisingly, the small band kept moving after nightfall. How long they traveled, Aervon didn't know, for he'd been dozing fitfully. But suddenly, Faevathor stopped his horse. "What is it?" the human warrior asked. Following the ellon's gaze as he nodded towards it, Faevathor replied, "Tharbad."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
* [Sindarin corpus]
O Elbereth Starkindler,
white-glittering, sparkling like jewels,
the glory of the starry host slants down.
Having gazed far away from the tree-woven lands of Middle-earth,
to thee, Everwhite, I will sing,
on this side of the Sea,
here on this side of the Ocean [Elvish hymn] ◇ LotR/II:I, RGEO/72, RS/394

** Oh Kindler fair, oh maker of the stars,
that shine in the heavens high!
Guide their souls,
to Mandos' Halls, we pray!
And let them dwell in love and joy;
keep true their hearts,
and ease their minds -
and remember they loved thee well!

© 2004 by gwendeth

[Edited on 20/5/2004 by gwendeth]
Rudhwethiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 20, 2004 04:12
"A Elbereth Gilthoniel
silivren penna míriel
o menel aglar elenath!
Na-chaered palan-díriel
O galadhremmin ennorath,
Fanuilos le linnathon
nef aer, sí nef aearon."

The haunting beauty of the hymn filled the night. Though there was still a day’s ride to Tharbad, the company would not move until the elves had mourned their dead in their own way. The humans stood transfixed. They could not understand the words, but they had never heard anything so beautiful and melancholy as the elven voices raised in lament. Even the rain had lessened as though it were listening.

Súlfalas stood with Marissa and Faramond, helping the elleth support the wounded warrior. Súl’s rich voice joined with the others, his expression deliberately stony. How many battlefields . . . how many burials . . . her face.

Only two elves did not join in the dirge. Two who had long forgotten the words. Two for whom life and death had always seemed as one. Saida and Caun stood in the forest shadows, their faces masks of indifference. Such was the way of things. They wondered that anyone was still shocked by death and pain.

The hymn ended, and the warriors began to disperse. Then they halted in their tracks as a single voice rang out; a wild plea that spoke of fresh pain.

"Ai Thoniel vain, ai echadril nan giliath,
i thiliar vi menil doer!
Togo faer rîn,
nan Themais Mandos, herim!
A dorthathar ren aen vi meleth a gell;
Hebo 'uir rîn thenin,
a anno hîdh nan noeth rîn -
a reno le melenner mae!"

Faevathor stood with hot tears coursing down his cheeks, tears even the rain could not disguise. With unspoken accord Ivor, Súlfalas, Rissa, Faramond, Ohtar and Aervon moved closer to the ellon. On this field of pain, their presence was the only comfort they could offer. After the second song was finished, the company began mounting and preparing to ride for Tharbad. Súlfalas stayed near Rissa and Faramond, keeping enough distance between them to give them privacy while still being close enough to give aid if it was required. Faevathor suddenly rode up to Súl on Mithfaer.

"When we get to Tharbad," he said quietly, "I want one of those rings. - Make it a silver one." With no other words, Faevathor urged his horse into a faster pace, bringing himself - and Aervon - up behind Ivor and Ohtar.

Súlfalas bent his head in assent, though he knew Faevathor did not see the gesture. “May the pain in your heart be as fleeting as the pain in your flesh will be,” he muttered.

Saida stood still, transfixed by the warrior’s solitary lament. The first song had roused no emotion in her, for it was the cry of a warrior host for their fallen comrades. This song was different- a single heart crying out for something precious; some part of it that had been stripped away. And suddenly she wanted to be near Ivorcheneb more than anything.

It was near dawn when the company reached Tharbad. There was no inn large enough to house all of them, and as none of the sleepy innkeepers seemed particularly inclined to try, only the severely wounded were given beds. The rest of the company camped just outside of town, near the banks of the Gwathló.

Súlfalas moved back and forth between the camp and the village, arranging for care for the wounded. Rissa was proving to be a gift of the Valar in that respect, and he soon left things in her capable hands and returned to the camp to get some well-deserved rest. He nearly collided with Gon Ivor as he entered the encampment.

The captain had fought, as always, with the courage and strength that had earned him his place as their leader. Súlfalas bowed his head in respect, then gave the weary captain a half-hearted smile. “Get some rest, old man. You brought them through.” Ivor shook his head, a shadow on his fair features. “Not all.” "Never all,” Súlfalas replied flatly. “But thanks to your leadership, most are still in battle condition.” Ivor nodded his head grimly, then gave Súlfalas a mirthless smile and walked away.

Saida watched him moving from where she sat beneath the sheltering branches of a willow tree. He would pass by her. And she would let him, without a word or a motion to let him know she was there. Or so she planned. The elven captain’s senses were keener than she gave him credit for.

When he was within feet of her hiding place, he suddenly stopped and looked right at her. After a moment’s hesitation, he set his features in determination and pushed aside the willow’s hanging branches to enter her refuge. And she did not tell him to leave. Slowly he lowered himself to sit by her on the ground, his motions silent and graceful. He looked down into Saida’s stormy grey eyes; the fiery, earthy scent that was distinctly hers reaching his senses. There was such desperate hunger in his eyes, hunger for understanding and compassion. He had such perfect eyes . . .

“I am sorry,” she whispered, unable to tear her gaze from him.

“For what?” he asked quietly, his face now only inches from hers.

“I lost the mare."

"The mare?" He ran a gentle finger down her cheek.

"The one you bought for me when we were with Ninde and Tulco. I mean, Tinu and Rawon. The one you and Rawon nearly killed each other over. The one I nearly killed you over.”

She was babbling, trying to think of anything to get her mind off the nearness of him. Anything to remind her that she hated him.

"You didn't, though." he murmured absently, his eyes devouring her face, his finger leaving her cheek and tracing through her dark hair.

"Didn't kill you, or didn't lose the mare?" For the first time he smiled. She felt the warmth of it creep through the chill that locked around her heart.

"Both. The mare came back . . . and I never left."

"Don't ever," she heard herself whisper, her heart hammering as though it would break her chest. "Dartho annin an-uir."

"Always," he repeated, pressing his lips to hers as everything else faded away.
Faenauliel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: May 20, 2004 10:07
Fae’s lament cut deep into Ivor’s heart and his mind was filled with the image of his mother—clinging desperately to his infant brother—calling to him through the crowd upon the docks as the ground shook and the seas raged. As he stood, his hand upon Faevathor’s shoulder, he listened to the dirge which spoke of unfathomable pain and loss.

A sudden deep and overpowering grief welled up within the Elven Captain. Too many had lost their lives already… too many who had placed their lives in his hands. As the song ended and Fae walked slowly away, Ivor noticed that his own hands were trembling.

Quickly, he turned and made his way to Celeg, trying desperately to busy himself with the work at hand—trying to forget how very much he needed to feel Saida in his arms at this moment.

The company continued through the night, riding silent through the heavy mists which hung all about them. Doubt clouded Ivorcheneb’s mind. Surely, now, the others could see that Gil-galad had been greatly mistaken to have chosen him. He sighed deeply, his resolve growing. When we reach Tharbad, he thought darkly, I will turn over my command… He turned slightly to his left and glanced at Súlfalas. The dark northern warrior remained unwounded and strong. Surely he would be much more fitting in this endeavor. Ivor nodded to himself. I shall speak to him in Tharbad.

Hours later, as Tharbad loomed before them, Celeg neighed softly and pulled at the reigns. “Ai, Celeg! This is no time for your trickery. Mas thelich baded, roch dheleb?! {where do you intend to go, loathsome horse?}” Ivor hissed under his breath. Celeg ignored all Ivor’s attempts to keep him on the road, and finally the ellon dropped the reigns in disgust. “Fine! Go where you will!” Ivor spat. As the silver stallion neared a thicket at the edge of the path, he whinnied softly… and was answered by a tentative neigh. From out of the brush emerged Saida’s chestnut mare—fearful from the events of the evening, but otherwise unharmed.

Ivor leapt gracefully down and took hold of the mare’s trailing reigns, his shoulders sinking in shame. “Díheno nin, Mellon,” he said to Celeg. The horse only snorted in disgust and turned to face the road, waiting for Ivorcheneb to climb back into the saddle.

As they led Saida’s horse, Ivor and Celeg made their way back into the column. Just outside the city’s gates, Ivor tried again. “I should never have doubted you,” he said apologetically. Celeg only snorted and shook his head. The Elven Captain smiled in spite of his ill mood. Celeg always had been one to hold a grudge.

Ivorcheneb made his way through the makeshift camp near the gates of Tharbad helping to organize the company. He was sorry that he had not been able to arrange for shelter for all those gathered, but was thankful that one of the innkeepers had agreed to make room for the wounded. Now, Ivor watched as Marissa readied those most in need for transport to the inn within the city.

It saddened the Captain to see the healer struggle with only the unskilled hands of the warriors for assistance. As the maiden leaned over Fara to adjust the bindings of the ellon’s wound, their eyes met, and Ivor recognized the unspoken emotion in their eyes. He sighed and turned in search of Saida….

Nearly colliding with Súlfalas, he gasped. The dark warrior bowed in respect, and Ivor’s stomach tightened. How could Súl bow to him when he had failed so miserably?

Súl gave the weary captain a half-hearted smile. “Get some rest, old man. You brought them through.” Ivor shook his head, a shadow on his fair features. “Not all.” "Never all,” Súlfalas replied flatly. “But thanks to your leadership, most are still in battle condition.” Ivor nodded his head grimly, then gave Súlfalas a mirthless smile and walked away.

His mind reeled in confusion… If Súl thought him worthy of leadership, Ivor knew he would never be able to convince the Moriquendi otherwise. Now what…? he wondered grimly. Then all thought was driven from his confused mind. She was near. He could hear her heart beating loudly in his ears and smell her upon the wind.

Suddenly, nothing mattered except his need to be near her… There was no fighting it—though he knew it would only invite her wrath. He stopped and looked deep into the willow fronds, and instantly his gaze met hers. He hesitated—so entirely awed by the beauty in those eyes… his desire to lose himself within that storm threatened to overwhelm him—then his brow furrowed with determination, and he pushed aside the curtain of leaves.

She did not rage against him… He lowered himself by her side, waiting for her to strike. Please! his mind whispered in desperation. End me with your scorn…Still this heart which is your possession…. Only do not torture me so… I can not endure it!

“I am sorry,” she whispered, unable to tear her gaze from him. His unbelievable need to hold her in his arms threatened to drive him mad. “For what?” he asked quietly, his face now only inches from hers. “I lost the mare."

"The mare?" He ran a gentle finger down her cheek. His entire body began to tremble, so sure was he that any moment she would scream at him and drive him away as she had so many times before.

"The one you bought for me when we were with Ninde and Tulco. I mean, Tinu and Rawon. The one you and Rawon nearly killed each other over. The one I nearly killed you over.”

She was babbling, trying to think of anything to get her mind off the nearness of him. Anything to remind her that she hated him.

"You didn't, though." he murmured absently, his eyes devouring her face, his finger leaving her cheek and tracing through her dark hair.

"Didn't kill you, or didn't lose the mare?" For the first time he smiled. She felt the warmth of it creep through the chill that locked around her heart.

"Both. The mare came back . . . and I never left."

"Don't ever," she heard herself whisper, her heart hammering as though it would break her chest. "Dartho annin an-uir."

"Always," he repeated, pressing his lips to hers as everything else faded away.

It is not real! his mind shrieked within him. It is a dream! Do not be fooled! He wrapped his strong arms about her and pulled her closer to him. Surely, any moment some careless soldier would break through the thin veil of this precious, delicate hallucination… And Ivor was determined not to let it go. So great was his desire to remain forever in this vision, he prayed in desperation to Niena to take his immortal life… to allow him forever to exist within this embrace.

Saida gently broke away, parting her warm lips from his, and—terrified—he held his breath, refusing to open his eyes. After a moment she reached up and brushed back a stray hair, letting her touch linger upon his cheek. “It is not real!... This is a dream!” he gasped quietly as a tear fell slowly down his cheek. Saida laughed softly, a beautiful sound—like the call of a dove—and his trembling worsened. Now she will call you a fool for ever having believed such a ruse! Ivor thought hopelessly.

She pulled him close to her then, embracing him as his tears fell freely. Laying there in the clover beneath the willow, he held Saida close. For one fleeting moment, all that existed was held within the protective embrace of the willow.

Above him in the branches, a bird sang out. Through his closed lids, he could see the shadows and points of brightness as the sun fought its way through the thick cover of the willow's leaves. “Ivor,” Saida said again, this time a bit more loudly. She shook him harder. “Súlfalas is calling you…”

He shook his head, refusing to open his eyes. “No,” he said only half-jokingly. “If I open my eyes, you shall say I imagined the whole thing. You shall hate me again.” Saida laughed her wonderful cooing laugh and kissed his forehead. “I hate you anyway… but if you refuse to wake, Súl shall hate you as well. Come now, Gon Ivor… It is time to get your troops ready to be on the move again!”

Ivorcheneb smiled widely for the first time in weeks and opened his strikingly light eyes. He sat up just in time to see Saida give him a playful glance over her shoulder. Then she stepped through the curtain of leaves and was gone. Ivor stood and stretched, still in awe of this new turn of events. He stepped out into the bright sunlit day and breathed in deeply.

[Edited on 21/5/2004 by Faenauliel]
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 26, 2004 01:24
"Good-bye, my friend."

Ohtar slowly stood up. He had just closed the eyes of another warrior that had left the Middle-Earth forever. And he had lost another trusted man that had followed him in Mordor itself... The others were wounded and exhausted. If they didn't get some rest, their mission would be a total disaster. It was near that already. How could they lose so many of their best warriors so easily, and at the very beginning of the journey?! Surprisingly, none of the women seemed hurt..

Ohtar froze. Cirya! Had hadn't seen her since the ill-fortunate crossing, and then he had completely forgotten about her during the fight... Feeling some how guilty, he searched the surroundings with his eyes, wondering at the strange tremble inside... Ah, there she was, helping Marissa to tend the wounded. Ohtar's broad shoulders relaxed. At least she was alive. Fighting a sudden urge to go to her and check if she was al right, he turned to his men instead.

"Start digging a grave. We must bury our fallen," he ordered. The men looked pale and longing for a rest, but none of them complained about the heavy work. It was a matter of honor.

Ohtar spotted Captain Ivorcheneb. The ellon was deep in thoughts.

"I am sending two of my men back to the Kings with a report. They must be warned," Ohtar said to Ivor, and the elf nodded. "Thank you, Gon Ohtar," he said. Ohtar narrowed his eyes. Something was not right about the elf... But it was none of his concern. Ohtar spoke to his men, and two messengers were chosen - those who had received heavy wounds and had to stay behind, but rather preferred to serve until the end. To himself, Ohtar made a note not to judge too quickly about Anarion's men. They lacked the endurance of his own troops, but they were not to be underestimated...

The elves joined the men in their hard work, the dead were buried, and soon the song was begun. Ohtar, being one of the Faithful of Numenor, knew the elves usually sang their good-byes to their dead, but he hadn't expected Fae's song. It was so deep, so much filled with pain, that the man bowed his head respectfully. He had never thought that exposed grief would be something worth of respect, but he couldn't help it.

Shortly after that, they left for Tharbad. Ohtar noticed it was more difficult for him to mount his horse, but he pai no attention to it. He watched his men, and Fara. The man still felt shame and guilt laying heavily on his heart as he remembered the elf's wound. And the sword who had caused that... Instinctively, his eyes darted back to Cirya. She was already sitting on her horse's back, straight and confidant, as always. Ohtar hoped it meant that she was all right.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

They arrived to Tharbad late that night. Captain Ivorcheneb went to talk to the inn-keeper, while Ohtar stayed with their group. Ivor returned with good news for the wounded - they were allowed to be brought inside. Ohtar watched Marissa and Cirya struggle to get the wounded comfortable.

"Go help them," he turned to his men. Vanrick and those two who still remained of his own men immediately dismounted.

The others remained where they were.

"With all respect, Captain, but we are no nurses," one of Anarion's men spoke out loud. Ohtar looked at him with a dangerous flame in his eyes.

"You heard my order," was his quiet and strict reply. Without another word, the men got to the work. Ohtar shook his head. This was unacceptable! Ohtar then followed his men to give the ellith a hand. That definately was no women's job!
We still remember, we who dwell In this far land, beneath the trees The starlight on the Western seas...
In the Realm of Ulmo
gwendeth
Send Message
on: June 01, 2004 06:24
(( OOC: Ok, Faen - here it is! I hope it's ok! gwen))

Faevathor winced, and sat up. He hadn't really slept... neither his thoughts nor the wound would allow it. The ellon had been relieved that his passenger was given a room within... and smiled ruefully to himself... That man... Aervon... had NOT been at all pleased about that.

The dark-haired elf wasn't pleased either, and groaned audibly when he tried to stand. "Careful!" A voice sounded in his ear, and a hand gripped Fae's arm to help him rise. "Le hannon, Súl," the elven warrior said dryly, and to his dismay, swayed dizzily.

"You'd better eat something, mellon nín," the Northern elf said, "or else you'll faint when I pierce that ear of yours." "My ear?" For a moment Faevathor was confused, and then a dark expression came onto his face. "I did say that didn't I?" he said quietly. He laughed, but it never reached his dark, pain-filled eyes, and then nodded. "Perhaps you are right."

Slowly, the two ellyn made their way to where food had been prepared for their small company. Faevathor couldn't eat much though, his stomach couldn't take it… not because of the experience to come, but of the one he'd be living with for the rest of his life - loneliness.

When he'd finished what he could, the dark-haired elf rose, and catching Súlfalas' eye, said, "I'm ready." They headed to a place apart from where others were still sleeping… or eating… or recovering… and Fae slowly sat on the ground. Ivor joined them, and there was something - different - about the crystal-eyed ellon, and suddenly, Faevathor knew what it was. It would seem that Ivorcheneb had finally gotten his heart's love… and it made Fae writhe inwardly. Some others of their company came to watch, and to his surprise, Gon Ohtar was among them. Interesting, Faevathor thought, and then Súl interrupted. "Wine?" he asked, but Fae shook his head. "No," he replied. No, indeed, he thought. He'd made this decision while clear-headed yesterday, and would endure it the same way. "Which side?" Súlfalas asked then, after readying his instruments. "The left," the grieving ellon replied, and then setting his jaw, Fae fixed his eyes on nothing - and everything -in the distance, seeing only the memory of Elvainiel's face in his mind.

The pain was sharp, and quick, and his ear began throbbing immediately… each pulse echoing the agony in his heart, but the dark-haired ellon never flinched. He did - again - need help to rise, and after giving Súlfalas a short bow, said, "Le hannon." With his face still looking as if it was carved in stone, Faevathor asked, "How long before we leave?" not caring which Captain gave him an answer.
maeghin
RPG Moderator &
Harbinger of Laughter

Send Message
on: June 01, 2004 08:27
Fara thanked the Valar for Marissa. The woman who held his heart proved to also be his savior, and strength. After she had healed his wounds, she fashioned a sling from a strip of cloth. She helped Fara to sit upright, which he protested and insisted he could manage himself. She placed his left wrist in the sling.

“There, that should take some weight off of your shoulder. But you should still be careful for a day or two; we wouldn’t want that wound to reopen. All in all, you should consider yourself lucky. If that arrow had struck but a little to the right, you may well be under the ground right now with the rest of our fallen comrades. I still don’t understand how…” Rissa trailed off when she noticed Fara wasn’t listening to her. His attention was turned, rather, to the men as they dug the graves.

Fara was disappointed in himself that he could offer no assistance. He sat on the solid ground, and watched. When the last grave was covered, Marissa helped Fara to his feet. She wrapped his cloak about his shoulders and clasped it over his right shoulder so that he would still have movement in his uninjured arm. Together, they walked to where the others had gathered around the fresh mounds of dirt.

Soon, Ivor’s voice melodically began the song of mourning, and the other Elves joined in. When the song was over, Fara was about to turn, when he heard Fae’s clear voice rise up once more in a gentle lament. Fara turned to face the ellon, wishing that he could lessen the pain evident in Fae’s heart. His eyes misted as he listened, every word ringing a chord within his heart. Rissa’s soft hand gently took his and he squeezed it. He could never imagine the pain that would reside in his heart if he were to lose her for real. When Fae finished, Fara wrapped his arm about Rissa’s shoulders as they turned away. Rissa took his draped arm and unconsciously caressed his skin. She was concerned that his strength would give, so she hugged his waist with her other arm, masking her concern by making it seem as though she were merely holding him out of love.

Together, they approached Belerand. The stallion stood, pawing the ground, as he flared his nostrils. The smell of death still hung heavy upon the air, and it made the horse nervous. Fara removed his arm from Rissa and stroked his beast’s flanks.

“I know, mellon nín, I feel it too.” Fara whispered. Rissa glanced at him curiously, yet said nothing. Fara mounted, with her aid. Rissa’s mare stood nearby, waiting for Rissa to mount. She approached it and took its reigns, then noticed there were several who did not have a mount, most of them being Ohtar’s men. Rissa winced. There was no way her mare would let one of the rough men mount her. She scanned the group again, this time, spying Cirya, horseless. Rissa smiled. Not only would she be helping the other elleth, but it would give her a good excuse to ride with Fara.

“Lady Cirya.” Rissa called out. Cirya turned and faced her. “I notice you are without a mount. Here, take Phalandria. She is a good mount and shall serve you well; at least until we arrive at Tharbad and you can find another mount of your own.”

Cirya looked slightly confused. “But how will you ride then?”

Rissa winked and nodded toward Fara, who sat somewhat slumped in his saddle. Cirya nodded in understanding. “Then I shall accept your offer.”

Rissa smiled widely. “Oh, and I should like to thank you for helping with the wounded.”

Cirya returned the smile. “No thanks are necessary.”

Cirya then mounted Phalandria. Rissa noticed the elleth look toward Captain Ohtar. Somehow, Rissa never seemed to miss anything. She knew something was odd about the look on Cirya’s face, but chose to say nothing about it, at least not yet. Instead, she took her leave and returned to Fara.

Fara helped Rissa mount behind him, and the elleth wrapped her arms about her love’s chest, feeling his warmth upon her skin. She rested her cheek upon his back, and together, they joined the column as it made its way to Tharbad.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When they entered the city, Ivor made arrangements for the wounded. Rissa was determined that she should help in that area. Despite Fara’s protests, she helped him to a bed, though she did give in, and let him sleep with the company, away from the wounded. She found a heavy woolen blanket and covered him with it. He chose a place where he made sure he had a good view of most of the camp.

“I know you feel strong, but you should still gather your strength if you have any hopes of continuing in the morning.” She whispered as she kissed his forehead. “I shall return once I have seen to the rest of the wounded.”

Rissa pulled the blanket up to his chin and turned, leaving him alone. She surveyed the wounded, determining the best course of action. She decided to keep the seriously wounded together, that way they would be easier to keep watch over. She was grateful for Cirya’s help, though it was difficult to help the men to their beds. Rissa was not very strong, light and agile, yes, but strong, no.

Soon some of Captain Ohtar’s men stepped forth and offered their aid. Rissa accepted it with no hesitation. Soon, all the wounded were resting, and their bandages changed. Rissa was exhausted, and all she wished to do was rest. She made her way to Fara’s bed and slid in under the covers. The fair-haired ellon wrapped his arms about Rissa’s body as she placed her head on his chest. She fingered the strings of his tunic absentmindedly as she replayed the day’s events over in her mind.

Fara’s chest rose and fell rapidly as he stifled a laugh. Rissa turned her face up to look into his, in a futile attempt to discern what was so funny. Without a word, Fara nodded behind her, and Rissa turned to find Súl and Fae sitting next to one of the campfires. She watched, curious as to what they were doing that was so funny. Her eyes went wide when Súl pierced the ellon’s ear. She shook her head, and then suddenly remembered something. Quickly, she turned and stared straight into Fara’s eyes.

“What is it?” Fara whispered. Rissa smirked as she reached up and tweaked the cuff in his ear.

“Ai! What was that for?” Fara winced.

“I don’t think I need to ask who did this to you. But the question is, why? You know I hate those things.” She scolded him in a motherly voice.

Fara bit his lower lip. What would he tell her? That he had wanted one to remind him of her ‘betrayal’? No, that would certainly upset her, yet he knew he could never lie to her. He took a deep breath and began his explanation.

“You see, Súlfalas and his people mark their bodies when something happens in their life that marks their soul. I guess it’s their way of making sure they shall never forget.” He paused and rolled onto his back, his gaze turned toward the stars. Rissa, undaunted, rose upon one elbow and studied him.

“Well, that’s all well and good, though I can’t say that I agree with the custom. Yet, to each his own, right? But that still doesn’t answer my question.” She continued. “Why did you get one?”

Fara sighed. “Well, I thought you had… That is to say, I thought I had lost you.” He turned his blue eyes to her, longing for her understanding.

Rissa narrowed her eyes and sat up abruptly, folding her arms over her chest. Fara winced at the tongue-lashing he was inevitably going to receive. Yet, instead, when Rissa turned to face him, he could see the trace of a tear on her cheek. She snuggled back down next to him, holding him tightly.

“I am sorry, my love. I must have put you through great pain.” She paused as she tried to steady her quavering voice. “I am sorry.” It was all she could think of to say, yet those three words were all Fara needed. He knew now that Rissa was loyal to him, to the end.

“Do not trouble yourself over the past. My love for you is stronger now than ever.” Fara whispered as he kissed the top of her head.

Rissa turned her face up to his. “As is mine for you.” She returned, and they shared a gentle kiss before they rested for the night, wrapped in each other’s arms. Dawn would arrive all too soon, and the party would undoubtedly be off again.

Faenauliel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: June 06, 2004 11:25
Saida turned her back, seething. And, yet again, Ivor sighed and wished he could crawl into a hole and die. “I did not mean to impose—" Ivor began, but was cut off by an icy stare from his love. “You seem to think this easy for me!” she spat. “No!” he shook his head and tried to take her into his arms. Reluctantly, she let him wrap his arms about her. “I do not pretend to know why….but, I know that the gift you have is a great burden to you.”

He placed his hand upon her chin and gently lifted her face until their eyes met. “I understand if I ask too much. I would never want to hurt you, Saida!” Ivor’s soft lips met her own for a fleeting second. “I just know that Fara will not be left behind…. likewise with Aervon. Though they are in no condition to ride, ride they will. They are two of the best warriors in this army. Any help you could offer in their healing would do us all a great service…I do not ask that you heal them completely… Only help them be fit to ride.”

“How long until we are on our way again?” she asked in barely more than a whisper. “Dawn… perhaps a few hours past. We must not hesitate to move forward.” It tore his heart to have to ask such a favor of her for he knew that she feared her own power above all else. Nodding slightly, she touched his cheek in a forgiving gesture. Then she rose and made her way into the dark toward where Faramond slept with Rissa in his arms.

Left alone in the darkness, Ivor wondered if he should have asked such a thing of Saida. He had struggled with the decision, his Captain’s mind warring with his heart. In the end practicality had won; but to what price, he did not yet know. “It is a difficult thing to lead an army containing people you love,” Ohtar’s voice came out of the darkness. Ivor had felt his presence, yet did not know if the man would speak with him. He nodded, “Yes… it is. I only hope it does not cost me the ones that I love.” Ohtar laughed, yet no joy was in his voice. “Ivorcheneb… It is not our decision who these wars will cost us. The choice of who shall fall is not left to either of us. It is just war. All either of us can do is make the best decisions we can at any moment… The rest? Well, that is in the hands of the Gods.”

With that, Ohtar turned and made his way back to his fire. Dawn was but a few hours away… and they all needed to be well rested for the next part of the journey. The Old South Road would come to an end a half-days' ride south of Tharbad… and then they would be making their way across the open lands of the Enedwaith. With a deep shuddering sigh, he stood and went to find Saida.
Rudhwethiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 09, 2004 10:18
Saida's hands shook as she left Ivor. She was so angry. She loved him, she knew he loved her; why then would he ask this of her? Because he doesn't know, an ugly familiar voice whispered in her head, But he will . . . you can't keep your secret forever . . . even now the warrior watches you . . . Her head jerked up as if she expected to find Súlfalas standing before her. Instead she saw the dark shapes of Faramond and Rissa as they rested in one another's embrace. A wry smile pulled at the corners of Saida's lips. She could just picture the look on Rissa's face when the elleth woke to find Saida with her hands on Faramond. I'll save that one for later, she thought and turned away to find Aervon.

The man was one of the few wounded who had been given a room to himself. Ignoring the innkeeper's questioning gaze, Saida climbed the stairs to Aervon's room and knocked softly on the door. At the soldier's bidding, she entered and closed the door behind her. Aervon lay on a mattress against the far wall, his face barely visible in the dim lantern light. "Who are you?" he asked in confusion. "I am sent by Gon Ivorcheneb, to tend your wound." Saida answered as she let her cloak fall to the floor. "The healers have already been here." Aervon replied politely, still puzzled. "I know. But the captain asked me to come. I won't trouble you long." Aervon assented hesitantly, unsure what the wild-looking elleth could do for him that the others had not. Saida knelt beside him, carefully removing the bandage on his left shoulder. He involuntarily drew a sharp breath as the bandage stuck a little, and Saida's eyes darted up to his face before focuscing on the wound again. "Close your eyes," she ordered quietly. "What?" For all Aervon knew, she could be there as much to murder him as to cure him. "Please," she requested, her calm voice betraying nothing of the tumult she felt inside. Finally the man obeyed, though she could feel his muscles tense beneath her touch.

When she was sure that the man could not see her, Saida closed her own eyes as well and began whispering ancient words in the tongue of her kin.

gwendeth
Send Message
on: June 12, 2004 06:18
Aervon growled when the healer left him, and sank back into the bed. This was NOT where he wanted to be! His injuries weren't that bad! He'd even fought - from HORSEBACK for Eru's sake - with these wounds. Fighting the rising fever, the man tossed and turned on his mattress, trying to get comfortable... and wincing when his motions aggravated the pain in his shoulder.

Finally, he fell into an uneasy slumber... but suddenly, there was a soft knock on the door. Hoping he didn't sound too, gruff, Aervon replied, "Come in." Blinking his eyes rapidly, the man tried to focus his eyes on the figure that entered, but couldn't seem to.

"Who are you?" he asked in confusion. "I am sent by Gon Ivorcheneb, to tend your wound." Saida answered as she let her cloak fall to the floor. "The healers have already been here." Aervon replied politely, still puzzled. "I know. But the captain asked me to come. I won't trouble you long."

Aervon eyed the elleth warily... he'd been poked and prodded enough earlier... and berated himself for writhing when she removed the bandage on his shoulder. She'll think I'm a coward! he thought, and railed that for that alone he might be left behind when the others headed out again.

"Close your eyes," she ordered quietly. "What?" For all Aervon knew, she could be there as much to murder him as to cure him. "Please," she requested, her calm voice betraying nothing of the tumult she felt inside. Finally the man obeyed, though she could feel his muscles tense beneath her touch.

Barely, Aervon could hear the elleth's whisper - even by straining his ears. And what he COULD hear, was nothing he could understand. After a few minutes, though, the injured warrior started to relax, and felt himself drifting...

How much later it was, Aervon didn't know, but abruptly - he woke. The elleth... whoever she was... had gone, and to his surprise, when he cautiously turned over... it was very nearly as if he'd never been wounded at all!

[Edited on 13/6/2004 by gwendeth]
gwendeth
Send Message
on: June 27, 2004 04:47
(( OOC: Just kind of a 'random' post until we get 'moving' again... but at least it's something!! ))

Faevathor smiled as he watched Mithfaer's actions. The dark-haired elf had spent a long time brushing and checking his grey stallion - ensuring his friend had taken no hurts during these past battles... and the elf had been extremely relieved his horse hadn't. His side still ached, and his ear still throbbed... a little. But... Fae knew the wounds would heal quickly, so he simply ignored the pain as best he could.

"Pôd gromen delen!"* the ellon commanded, and the horse, who'd been prancing in place, immediately kicked out his left-rear hoof, in perfect timing to his trot, and then returned to his previous smooth actions. "Maer!"** Faer said, and after a few moments, "Pôd fornen níveb!"***

Obediently, Mithfaer lashed out with his right front hoof, in a move which in battle, would have left his opponent with several broken bones. And... once again, the stallion returned to his prancing as if there had been no break in the action.

"Sedho!"**** Faevathor ordered then, and in mid-stride, the horse set all four feet on the ground. He tossed his head, throwing the long grey mane blowing in the quiet breeze that had sprung up, and snorted. "Mae carnen, mellon nín!" Fae said softly, and stroked his mount's silky neck. After a few minutes rest, Fae said, "Si! Herio ad!"*****

In response the stallion resumed his non-moving trot, arching his neck proudly, and swishing his long grey tail. "You are in fine fettle today!" the dark-haired ellon laughed, and then gave another firm command. "Am ah ad!"****** Without breaking stride, Mithfaer reared, struck out with both front feet, and as his hooves touched the ground, bucked, sharply kicking out both rear ones... and then... again returning to his previous smooth actions.

"That's amazing!" a voice said, and Fae whirled to see... "Aervon?!" he gasped, and threw a quick, "Sedho!" to his prancing horse. "You're healed!" the elven-warrior exclaimed, and answered the Numenorean fighter's smile. "Yes," the man replied, "Thanks to... to... one of the elleth." "Maer!" Fae said then, and his smile turned to a grin. "I don't think you'll have to worry about being left behind, then." "No, indeed!" Aervon growled, and then nodded to Mithfaer.

"How does he do that?" he asked curiously. "I trained him," Faevathor answered. "To do fighting-moves on his own?" the man inquired, and shook his head. "Mine will do a few, but not on command... and nothing this smooth." "Mithfaer is a special horse," Faevathor said. Continuing, the elf said, "I used to breed horses..." he trailed off, stung by the memories of another life that was now lost forever. Quickly regaining his composure, Fae smiled faintly, and a little proudly. "Mithfaer is the result. I've been training him since he was a yearling."

"That is what you do when you're not fighting?" Aervon asked then, his voice echoing his surprise, "Breed horses?" "Yes," the dark-eyed ellon replied, and turned to pat his friend, when Mithfaer nudged him abruptly. "And... when this War is over, I will do so again - I hope." Aervon was silent, but nodded. There was no guarantee that any of them would be left alive... afterwards... but HE was determined to be one of them...

A bit awkwardly, the man spoke again. "I have to thank you... for allowing me to ride with you," and flushed when Faevathor threw him a surprised glance. "Av-'osto,"****** the elf replied, "We - elves and men - must be united in this effort. If we are not, there is no way this Alliance can succeed."

"You're right about that!" Aervon agreed, and then was startled by Faevathor's next words. "If you wish, Aervon," the ellon said, "I will show you how to train your mount to do some of these war-strikes on command." The human warrior met Fae's gaze, and smiled. "Just let me bring my horse over!" he replied, and quickly fetched the brown gelding from his place from the pickets. And before long, under Faevathor's expert tutelage, Aervon watched in amazement as the horse quickly learned the first step: to prance in place. Shaking his head, the man thought again how glad he was that the humans and elves were working together in this endeavor... and not on opposite sides!

~~~~~~~~
* Left rear foot!
** Good!
*** Right front foot!
**** Be still!
***** Now! Begin again!
****** Up and back!
******* Don't fear (i.e. 'worry')

[Edited on 27/6/2004 by gwendeth]
Rudhwethiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 06, 2004 12:09
A wedding feast in the brightest time of the year. The new sun cast its golden rays into every corner of the room where the bridegroom sat at the head of a laden table. Such joy was in his face; his arms were outstretched as if inviting his guests to partake in his joy. Then his smile grows even brighter as he catches a glimpse of his beloved, just the trailing hem of her gown as she steals up the stairs to prepare for their vows. She had had to have just one more glimpse of him as well, her heart was so full of him. This was a new life, a new hope . . .

Súlfalas sat upright, his heart pounding as the dream's beauty was slowly stolen by consciousness. Dreams of anguish and war he had long grown accustomed to- but this puzzled him more than any other. Himself at his own wedding feast- his, but not Sídheth's. The bride was not the dark, sad-eyed elleth from his village who had stolen his heart even when they were children. This bride had hair like dark gold. Her face was strangely familiar. Instead of Síd's fatalistic spiritualism; earthy wisdom. And he had loved her- that was the greatest shock of all. Not the sweeping passion that had forever bound his soul to his dead wife's, but with lasting fidelity and deep joy.

What could it mean?

"Ivorcheneb will know," Súlfalas said to himself. Rising, he dusted the earth from his back and went in search of the captain. Suddenly, he stopped in his tracks. Something . . . some shadow . . . some evil drew near. The orcs were returning.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: July 23, 2004 04:17
Faevathor kept working with Aervon and his mount. They'd gotten the horses to work in 'tandem'... matching stride for stride as they rode around the field where most of the warriors - both elven and human - were still relaxing. "See?" Fae said, and directed the man to change leads. "Just 'nudge' him with your toe on his left shoulder!" the dark-haired ellon said, and on the count of 'three', Aervon did so. Within a stride, both his, and the elf's Mithfaer had changed leads, and in perfect unity. "Maer!" Fae said then, and since they'd been practicing for some time, brought the two to a halt. "You're getting it!" he said, as they slid off their horses.

"Thanks!" Aervon grinned, and patted his mount's brown neck. It wasn't much that he'd learned today, the man knew, but at least - it was a start.

"Fae!" Both Faevathor and Aervon whirled as Súlfalas came striding purposefully towards them. "Have you - either of you - seen Ivor?" he said abruptly.

"No," Faevathor replied, and then frowned. "Ai!" he breathed, as he, too, 'felt' the shadow of the returning orcs. "What?" Aervon demanded, and then his eyes widened at Fae's reply, and Súl's sharp nod. "The orcs are returning!" "How soon?" he asked, and immediately the Numenorean's hand was on his sword-hilt. However long - or short - a time it was, Aervon vowed that he would be ready.

(( OOC: Sorry this is so VERY, VERY short... but at least we're back to Page 1 ))
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 23, 2004 08:37
Ohtar walked alone. His face grim, his eyes dark, nobody got in his way. The man left the inn they were staying and headed to the nearest gate. He had to think.

Anarion had given him his best men, Ohtar was sure about that. But it looked like he still had to win their respect, and this he couldn't afford to spend time, efforts and his strength on.

Ohtar's feet took him out of the city and in the small forest nearby. In fact, it couldn't be honored with such a grand name, for woth one tree here and another there, it didn't even provide a decent shelter.

Ohtar was torn between his responsibilities and the trust in his Lord's brother, his King's son's authority and judgement.

He didn't notice the wind change. Now it was blowing from the city.

Ohtar stopped. He had decided. Suddenly he realized that he was not alone. His hand grabbed the hilt of his sword.

"Don't torture yourself with things you cannot change," a voice came from behind. Ohtar swirled around, but kept his sword sheathed. There stood Cirya.

"My lady..." he couldn't say anything else.

"I noticed that your shirt was stained with blood, but you left so soon, so all I could do was follow you..." she looked at him very seriously. "Are you wounded, Hir nin?"

Ohtar frowned. He hadn't even paid attention to that.

"If to be honest with you," his lips twitched, and he smiled because of his own ignorance,"I don't know!"

Cirya stared at him for a while, then smiled too. "May I look?" she asked hesitantly.

"Yes, of course," Ohtar hurried to roll up his sleeve. A nasty-looking wound appeared to be hiding under the cloth, obviously caused by an orc-sword.

"I thought so!" the elleth said with a clever face, then ordered the man to sit down. She carefully cleaned his wound with water and clean cloth she had taken with her, and Ohtar could but sit and look with wonder at her delicate moves.

It was worth getting wounded, he thought to himself. Cirya shot up her eyebrow, still working, and Ohtar realized he had been thinking aloud. A naughty sparkle danded in his eyes, as he continued:

"Maybe I should think of a way to start another battle, just in case I get the chance to be taken care of... again?"

"You men are impossible!" Cirya shook her head. "Stop thinking, I can't work when you do. You seem to be unable to think still."

Ohtar laughed. "I'll do my best, my lady!"

"You better do!" she suggested adjusting the last bandage. "There!"

"Thank you," Ohtar said, looking at her closely. Should he try to kiss her as a thanks? If she were a mere maid, he would do that without a second thought, but she wasn't... So he hesitated.

Suddenly there was a horn blown from the walls behind them. Alarm was being sounded!!!

Ohtar jumped up, pulling Cirya with him. Cursing himself for his carelessness, he ran to the gates.

"What is it?" Cirya asked running. "Are we being attacked?"

"Yes!" Ohtar replied. He didn't say it out loud, but he had a strong suspicion that the enemy couldn't be anything else but...

"Orcs," Cirya said darkly, her eyes wide. Ohtar looked at her. "I can feel them," she answered.

Suddenly they stopped. The gate was closed.

"Hey!!!" Ohtar yelled up and waved. "Open up!"

"I can't! We are just about to be attacked!" a man from above answered.

"I KNOW!!! Why do you think we were running back? Open the gate and let us in!"

The man disappeared, then after a couple of minutes of unbearable tension, his head poked out again.

"I am sorry, but my commander ordered the gate to remain closed."

Ohtar couldn't believe his ears. He looked at the other men who were straing down at them curiously, while not looking over their heads in search for the enemy.

"What?! Stop these games, soldier! Open up immediately!"

The man only shrugged. "There they are!" another shouted poking with his finger.

Ohtar felt cold sweat ripping down his spine. "OPEN THAT DAMNED GATE!!!" he yelled kicking the heavy gate furiously until his feet hurt. It didn't ene shake. He had never felt so helpless!

"They are coming," Cirya said. She, unlike Ohtar, was very calm, even too calm.

Suddenly Ohtar looke dup again. "Hey, you!" he called the man that had spoken to him earlier. "Throw me down a rope! THROW ME DOWN A ROPE! Hurry!" The man looked back over his shoulder, then took a rope and threw down one end. Ohtar grabbed it and tied it around Cirya's waist.

"What are you doing?" she protested. He didn't bother to answer. "Pull up!" he called the man, and he nodded in approval.

"Cimb up as fast as you can," he told the elleth, and she nodded. Ohtar couldn't help but admire the grace of the girl, as she moved. She was almost at the top, when a black arrow hit the wall a few inches fron Ohtar's shoulder. He grabbed his sword and swirled around. They were indeed coming. Not many, but still... One last look up, to ensure that Cirya was safely up... The rope fell down once more, but there was no time for Ohtar to use it.

"Grab the rope!" Cirya called, despair was clearly sounding in her voice, but Ohtar shook his head, preparing to meet the enemy. Oh Eru! Make Wangruth strong enough to keep going and hold the men together! Keep Aervon safe, so that he could help Wangruth!
In the Realm of Ulmo
Faenauliel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: August 18, 2004 06:28
Ivorcheneb sat upon the great stone bridge which joined the northern half of Tharbad to the southern half. He still found it amazing how the men of Tharbad had seemed to build the very city so as to incorporate the Gwathló River—built as it was upon both sides of the mighty flowing watercourse. The entire area here behind the city’s tall walls was the center of trade. Even from outside the rampart behind him, Ivor could hear the bustling market-place which lay inside the southern half of the city.

Most of the day he had spent here upon the bridge, watching the small boats which came and went along the docks of Tharbad—most of which were loaded with large felled trees brought by ox-drawn wagons. He had gathered from the conversations of the sailors that the trees were loaded on the vessels to be taken south-west to the shipyards of Lond Daer. Númenoreans! he thought as he marveled at the huge numbers of these shipments. They must really go through their ships!

The small ships upon the river unfurled their sails in the gentle breeze, finding whatever aid the wind could offer to those who would row the vessels along their course. The heart of the Elven Captain ached for the sea… and it weighed heavily upon his soul that he would soon have to move East… toward Mordor… and yet farther from the Great Western Sea.

So enthralled was he in watching those ships (not without a twinge of envy for the Númenorean sailors upon them), that he had lost track of how much time had passed. The number of boats leaving the docks had dwindled, and now he noticed that the sun dipped low upon the western horizon.

Instantly, his brow furrowed. He had expected Saida would return to him by now… if for no other reason but to tell him how she hated him for asking her assistance in the healing of the two warriors. She had gone to his requested task shortly before dawn that morning. Surely, she would have finished before now… he thought.

Then he sighed deeply… a deep fear growing within him that—this time—he truly had gone too far! He jumped down from his perch upon the short wall of the bridge and set about to find her. “Ai, Ivorcheneb!” he muttered to himself. “When will you ever learn?!”

The Elven captain entered their encampment; he turned toward the willow beneath which he and Saida had rested during the night. He parted the thick curtain of hanging leaves and saw that the space was empty, and his heart sank. A deep sigh escaped him as he let the curtain of leaves fall back into place. As he turned in search of his beloved, a cold dread sank into the pit of his stomach, and instinctively his hand went to the hilt of Acharn.

“You!” he shouted to the nearest Númenorean warrior. “Get your men—everyone!—behind the walls of the city!” The man looked at him as if doubtful of Ivor’s sanity. “Do it now!” he hissed, “The Orcs approach!” At this, the man’s expression turned to alarm. He stumbled backward and quickly ran off shouting instructions to his fellow warriors.

“Ivor!” He spun at the sound of Súl’s voice. “Yrch anglennol!! {Orcs approach}” Ivor ran to his friend, and was pleased to see Faevathor close behind. “Iston! {I know} Mas Saida?! {where [is] Saida?}” Súl stopped and turned toward his Commander. He could only shake his head. “Ivor,” Fae said quietly. “She must be inside the city…Please, we must get there ourselves!”

Nodding, Ivor turned to follow Súlfalas and Faevathor… pausing only briefly to look over his shoulder at the willow.

They managed to get the last of the horses through the city gates with much less chaos than Ivor had expected. “You there! What is the meaning of this?!” Ivor turned to see a Guard approaching. “Sound the alarm!” Ivor commanded him. “Orcs are upon your city.” One look into Ivor’s serious crystal-colored eyes was all the man needed. He went back up the stairs he had decended, taking them three at a time. Within a minute, a deep horn sounded and all the heavy gates in the city’s outer walls began to swing slowly closed.
maeghin
RPG Moderator &
Harbinger of Laughter

Send Message
on: August 19, 2004 04:00
At the first rays of dawn, Rissa rolled over to face Fara, only to find the flaxen-haired Elf already staring dreamily at her. A stray strand of locks dangled playfully across his cheek, which Rissa carefully tucked behind his ear, lingering only slightly to caress its very tip. Fara quickly, yet playfully grasped her wrist.

“Here now! Enough of that!” He laughed, “We should be getting up and seeing if there is any help we may be able to afford the others.”

Rissa smirked. “Okay then, let’s go.” She stated mockingly as she quickly rose to her feet. Fara tried to follow suite, but found the sudden movement far too much, and slumped back to the ground in a dizzied state.

“Hmph, I thought so.” Rissa smirked. Then, her smile faded and she knelt beside her love once more, gently caressing his wounded shoulder. She leaned closer and whispered in his ear, her lips barley grazing it. “Why, my love, don’t you stay behind? You owe nothing to these people. You are not even one of them, my love. Why not stay here with me until you are fully healed, and when this whole ugly war is over, we can return home. I know the King will welcome you back.”

Fara quickly turned his head, withdrawing his ear from Rissa’s reach. He studied her expression keenly, determining that what she spoke came from her heart, and not her head. He closed his eyes. He truly did wish he did not have to see this war, for he had naught but a foreboding regarding its outcome. A dark shadow loomed in his mind and he feared the battle which lay before them. Yet, he had pledged his allegiance to these Elves, and Men, and he would honor his vows.

“I am sorry, my love. I wish things were as simple as that, but I have sworn my allegiance to these people and I mean to keep my word.” He took her hands tightly into his own. “If we do not fight against the forces of Mordor, then who will fight for us? If everyone stayed behind to weather the currents of battle, then there would be none to protect what is right and good and worthy of our efforts.”

Rissa nodded. “I knew you would say thusly. It’s just that…” She paused and pursed her lips while a solitary tear rolled from her eye. “I have a bad feeling that something terrible is going to happen… I do not know what, but my heart aches with every step closer to Mordor we take.”

Fara nodded and closed his eyes. He released a great sigh and Rissa buried her tear-streaked face into his chest. He stared out into the encampment, watching the few who had stayed outside the city gates, preparing for the day ahead of them.

“I know, my love, for I have felt it too. Yet we cannot run from our fears, we must face them with all the strength that we possess. The winds of fate move my feet, and I must follow along the path that has been laid before me.”

Rissa pulled back just enough to see into the tranquil blue eyes of Faramond. “I know my love, what is in your heart. If you wish to continue, then never again shall I try to dissuade you, but rather I shall follow you along every bend in your path.”

“Nay.” Fara smiled at her. “You shall not follow; you shall walk beside me, hand-in-hand.”

At that, Rissa smiled as well and shifted to place a gentle, yet meaningful kiss upon his lips. “Well, I think I will go find something for you to eat. You shall need your strength if you are to continue.”

Fara nodded. He followed Rissa as she quickly walked away, her graceful steps barely disturbing the thin veil of fog which had not yet completely lifted. It seemed only moments since she had left his sight when another joined him. Saida knelt beside him, her face slightly darkened with some unknown fear or worry.

“Saida, hiril nín, to what do I owe the honor of your presence?” Fara asked. Saida smiled at him, though Fara could tell it was a forced smile. Something was bothering the woman, yet Fara knew not of its origins. “Is something wrong?”

Saida only shrugged her shoulders. “It matters not. I am here to tend your wounds, Gon Faramond.”

Fara furrowed his brow. “But my wounds have already been expertly tended. What is this about?”

Saida gave a sigh of impatience. “Do not ask of me what I do not wish to tell.” She handed Fara a veil of liquid. “Here, drink this, is will make the process more pleasant…”

Fara took the liquid and smelled it. He knew of it. Its sole purpose was to render the imbiber unconscious. “Here now, what game are you about?” He insisted with a piercing glare at Saida.

Saida cleared her throat. Fara could sense there was something she was not telling him, nor did she wish to tell. After a prolonged period of silence, he shook his head dejectedly.

“Gon Ivorcheneb trusts you. I too shall trust you.” He finally said as he raised the cup to his lips and drank its contents. Soon, a warm feeling coursed through his veins and the tips of his fingers became numb. Saida knelt closer above him. He could sense her removing his bandages, though if he wished to protest, he found he could not. In a few moments, his surroundings began to blur and he found himself being pulled into a deep slumber.

“How do you feel?” Rissa’s voice quietly questioned.

Fara groaned as he shifted his weight, his entire body seemed to protest his every movement, though it did not feel sore, merely stiff.

“It’s hard to say. What happened?” Fara asked.

“Hmph, that Noldor witch had her hands upon you, that’s what happened. Tell me, did you enjoy yourself?” Rissa hissed.

Fara’s eyes shot open. What was his love insinuating? “Please Rissa, I assure you… It was not as it looked… I mean, I do not…”

“Rissa is it now? What happened to ‘my love’? Or have you found another to replace me already?” She spat indignantly.

Fara sighed and rolled his eyes. Rissa’s hot-temper began to rear its ugly head of jealousy. He knew she meant well and she could not help herself and her doubts.

“Fair Marissa, you know you have my heart, and I can give it only once.” He sat upright, and then noticed for the first time that he did not ache as he had before. His face twisted in confusion.

“What is it?” Rissa asked cautiously as Fara began to remove his bandages. “Did she hurt you? If she has…” But she did not get a chance to finish, as both their eyes went wide in wonder when they spied his almost fully-healed wounds. “But, how can this be?” Rissa asked aloud.

Fara smiled widely. He knew now why Saida had been acting so strangely, perhaps she feared healing him. Perhaps it caused her pain as well, he knew not, but what did know was that he owed her and apology and a sincere thank you. He turned to face Rissa, who still did not seem to grasp what was happening, or what had happened.

“My love, it was Saida. That is what she was about when she came to see me.” Fara insisted.

Rissa pursed her lips yet again, the anger had subsided somewhat. “As you say, my love. But I still do not…” She stopped short and forced a smile. “All that matters is that you are healthy once more.”

She bent forward and kissed his forehead. “Here, I gathered these for you to eat.” She told him as she produced a small plate of fruits, breads and cheeses. “Eat now and gather your strength. Night shall be upon us soon enough.”

Fara’s eyes grew wide in wonder as he examined the landscape. It was true; the Sun was neigh unto the tops of the hills. Sensing the confusion upon her partner’s face, Rissa whispered.

“You have been asleep most of the day… I was… I was beginning to worry about you.”

Fara shook his head as he finished eating his meal. “On the contrary, I feel great. My wounds no longer ache and that long rest has well replenished me.”

Rissa smiled weakly. “Then I am grateful the Noldor witch was able to do for you what I was not.” She stood quickly. “I am going to go into the city now and see if there is anything I can do there to help.”

Fara’s mouth opened to say something to appease her, yet the words would not come. He shook his head and sighed. “Ai Eru! Give me strength.” He pleaded toward the sky.

Moments later, the call went forth. “Orcs approach from the West!” A chill of fear traversed Fara’s entire body and his wounds of old ached anew with memory of their presence. Quickly, yet cautiously, he rose to his feet. The Numenoreans were rushing to the walls of the city, the one Fara recognized as one of Ohtar’s officers, was leading them, and trying to keep some semblance of order amongst them. Fara found his and Marissa’s steeds and lead them with all haste behind the gates of the city.

He wasted no time in climbing the stone stairs of the outer wall; bow in hand, with an arrow already set in place. He reached the top just in time to see Cirya being hoisted over the battlement. A shout came from Cirya, directed toward the ground. Fara leaned over to see Ohtar standing upon the ground, alone, with sword drawn.

“Why do you not open the gates?!” Fara demanded of one of the city guards. “My lord,” he replied, “The Orcs are upon us! It is either him or all of us!”

Fara growled and pushed past the man. He made his way to the section of the wall immediately above Ohtar. If Fara could not fight by his side, his arrows would sail to his aid. A black arrow flew past and Fara narrowed his eyes. The Sun’s light shown brightly as it began to set. It was a great red Sun this night, blinding to look straight into, yet toward it, they must look, for that was the way from whence the hoard was approaching. Undaunted, Fara raised his bow and took aim at the first Orc he could see. He let fly, his arrow, upon meeting its mark, threw down one of the approaching Orcs. Quickly, he had another arrow set and ready as he picked his next target.

Many arrows flew from the wall that evening and many were returned. Shouts from both sides rose to the skies, filling the air with the unmistakably wicked sounds of battle. Fara had little else in mind but to help protect Gon Ohtar. The Orcs were upon the wall now, and that meant that Ohtar would begin his defense. Fara tried to determine which Orcs posed the greatest threat to the Numenorean Captain, and those did not last long. For the most part, Fara picked off the Orc archers, allowing Ohtar to rely upon his own sword to protect him from the melee attackers.

The man standing next to Fara was suddenly struck, and he slumped forward. Fara quickly grabbed the man’s cloak and pulled him back. He had a better chance for survival if he was within the walls than on the ground where the Orcs would make short work of him.

When Fara returned his attention to the battle, his eyes grew wide with horror as they discerned an Orc archer which had taken aim upon Ohtar. Fara drew a quick breath and had readied an arrow to his bow. He took aim and shot, but he was too late. The Orc had already loosed his arrow as well. Fara could only hope that he had been quick enough to at least throw the archer off course, and his black arrow as well.
Rudhwethiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 20, 2004 05:03
Through the morning's golden mists Saida walked with silent tread. She was tired, but her task was not finished. She could hear Farmond's and Marissa's hushed voices. The timing was good- the elleth was leaving to find food for the warrior. Saida would not have to deal with her, for the next few moments at least. When she was sure that Rissa had gone, Saida quietly made her way to Fara's side.

The elven warrior was clearly surprised to see her. “Saida, hiril nín, to what do I owe the honor of your presence?” Saida was too tired for many words, she just turned her lips up in a mirthless smile. “Is something wrong?” Fara asked in baffled concern. Saida just shrugged.
“It matters not. I am here to tend your wounds, Gon Faramond.” The ellon's confusion only deepened. “But my wounds have already been expertly tended. What is this about?”
Why did everyone always insist on talking?! Saida thought in annoyance.“Do not ask of me what I do not wish to tell.” She handed Fara a vial of liquid. “Here, drink this, is will make the process more pleasant…”

Faramond took the liquid from her and smelled it. Saida saw the confusion in his eyes turn to distrust. “Here now, what game are you about?” She just looked back at him and cleared her throat. She refused to answer any more questions today. FInally Faramond gave in. “Gon Ivorcheneb trusts you. I too shall trust you." The ellon at last drank the liquid, and began losing control of his mind and body at once. Saida knelt beside him and began removing his bandages. By the time she had finished pulling the last one away, Fara was completely unconscious. That was when her real work began.

She shook the tendrils of exhaustion from her mind and placed her hands over Fara's wound, her eyes closing and her brow furrowing in concentration. Just as she had with Aervon, Saida began to whisper low words in her own tongue, ancient words that sounded both magnificent and fearful. From beneath her hands a faint blue light began to glow.
Even she did not know how long she stayed. She could sense the end drawing near, when an angry voice broke her concentration. "What do you think you are doing?" Saida jerked her head up to see Marissa standing close at hand, staring daggers at her. Saida's eyes drooped languidly and her voice took on a dangerous tone as she began to re-bandage Faramond's shoulder. "What, lady? You are not fond of sharing?"

Rissa's fury erupted and she fairly flew to stand before Saida on the other side of Faramond. "You get your hands off of him, you Noldor witch!" A muscle in Saida's jaw tensed, but she did not directly acknowledge the insult. Rissa's nearness was hindering the bandaging process. Saida lifted her head and her eyes bored into Rissa's, cold and deadly. "Move away, girl," she said in a quiet voice. "If you want him to live, move away." Faramond was not in danger, in fact, he was nearly out of it. But Marissa did not know this, and fear for what might happen to her beloved at the Northern elleth's hands outweighed even her anger. She was still seething, but she backed up a few steps until Saida finished. Then without another look at either Fara or Rissa, Saida turned and left them alone in the clearing once again.

She wanted to find Ivorcheneb. Her anger at his request that she use her hated 'gift' was not entirely gone, yet she could not deny her desire to be with him again. But she was tired, so tired. The healings had taken their toll, as she knew they would. Surely a short rest would not hurt . . .

She found a sheltered place within the exposed roots of a giant tree and sat down. Pulling her robes about her, she rested her head in the crook of a root, and was lost to dark, windswept dreams almost immediately. The 'short rest' went on until the shadows of day began to lengthen. The cries of the nearby company woke her at last. “Orcs approach from the West! Everyone inside the city gates!” Even before she was fully awake, Saida could smell the creatures' foul stench on the wind. Her numbed senses tried to make sense of it all. This was a nightmare- but the sky, the trees, the smell- this was real.

She jumped to her feet and began moving without another thought. Within moments she had joined part of the company that was struggling to get to the city gates. "We'll be trapped there," she thought in sudden, terrible panic, though common sense told her that they needed a fortress. But her feet did not want to move. The exhaustion still dogged her. When she thought she would never make it inside the walls in time, forceful arms grabbed her and dragged her along. Caun! "Move your feet, idiot!" He cried. His domineering voice goaded her to action and she was able to pick up the pace a little.

At last they made it, and the great gates shut behind them. There was chaos inside the city as ranks and battalions struggled to find their places and leaders. Saida knew she could not get in the way, no matter how tired she was. Fighting her way through the throng, she took up her place near the rear in the right flank. She thought she heard someone call her name, but it was carried away on the hot wind even as it reached her ears. She closed out all sounds and steeled herself for the fight. Once again, battle was upon them.

[Edited on 11/11/2004 by Rudhwethiel]
gwendeth
Send Message
on: August 22, 2004 11:38
Faevathor growled, and unslinging his bow, headed for the city walls... with Aervon close on his heels. "Take the left!" the dark-haired ellon suggested, knowing that was his 'weak' side... and would need the 'back up' if it came to that...

Grimly, the Numenorean warrior nodded, and unsheathed his sword - just in case. A rain of black arrows fell around them, and he ducked while Fae returned fire. "Can you shoot?" Faevathor asked, as he let fly another arrow. "Some," Aervon replied, a little startled, "but I'm not nearly..." "That doesn't matter," the elf replied, and nodded to a fallen guard from the City. "Take his - he won't be needing it any more, and we need everyone!"

Without answering, Aervon re-sheathed his weapon, and grabbed the fallen Watchman's bow and quiver. Muttering quiet imprecations against their enemy, the man notched an arrow and loosed it. "Who's that?" he cried then, pointing to a man standing some distance away. Immediately, Faevathor frowned. "Gon Ohtar!" he gasped, his elven-eyesight identifying the edain Captain. An orc was just drawing on him, and without stopping to think, Fae drew back, and fired. His arrow struck the orc a split-second after another one. Faramond! The ellon nodded, and glanced at the other elven warrior.

The elf, however, had no time to spare in seeing whether his effort made any difference, and whirled to send a shaft into an orc down below, who was attempting to climb upwards.

Aervon kept firing, snarling inwardly when the shafts went wide. Even with his injuries, Faevathor's aim was still better than his, and it once again raised the man's respect for their new allies. From the corner of his eye, Aervon could see flashes of the others... and hoped that Tharbad's gates would hold...

(( OOC - sorry so short again... gwen ))
Rudhwethiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 08, 2004 02:42
The last warm tendrils of weariness still clung stubbornly to Saida's mind. She shook herself angrily, knowing that no ordinary rest would have been so deep, so lasting. The healings had dragged her down into a deep, aching weariness that was hard to quit. Yet this was a battle now, this was life and death. She could see the archers upon the walls, many falling, pierced by black arrows already. Again it was Caun's voice that brought her mind out of the trance. "They came back with three times as many as before," he said quietly. Something in his voice caught her attention. "What, Caun? What is it that you see?" He jerked his head back and forth, in a quick negative gesture. "Nothing, cousin. Only more killing and more dying. I prefer both, and neither." Saida grew irritated. She knew there was more. She started to speak again, but he interrupted before she could get a word out. "Ready your weapons. The gates will not hold."

And the tumultuous ellon was right. Not many minutes passed before the city gates gave way and the dark horde swarmed into Tharbad. As they had so many times before, Saida and Caun fought back-to-back. Their movements, even their cries and grunts of anger and exertion, were in perfect synchronization with each other. This battle was harder fought than the first. The orcs were many, and strong. Saida fought blindly, letting reflexes and instinct take over. She felt Caun's sudden absence at her back, but could not stop. He had never abandoned her before, at least not in battle . . .

I've watched with Death a dreadful year
Nor flinched until you plucked apart
A feather from the wings of Fear-
Your innocence has stabbed my heart. I took your terrible trust to keep,
Deep in my heart it flames and sears,
And what I've sown I dare not reap
For bitterness of blinding tears.*

*Joseph Mary Plunkett

Faenauliel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: November 02, 2004 05:09
((OOC: As you all know, my battle scenes are absolutely horrid!.... But I really must get us underway again. I sincerely apologize for having been so neglectful of this thread! I hope you will all forgive me and help me to revive this wonderful story-line!))

Ivor swiftly made his way down from the city's walls with Súlfalas, Faevathor, and Aervon following close behind. They had done all they could from upon the ramparts, and—now that the gates were sure to be breached by the enemy—they were on their way to the wide courtyard below, eager to defend this fair city. It was the least that could be done, in Ivor’s opinion, to repay the welcome these people had shown the Army of Elves and Men.

The Elven Captain had only the briefest of moments to look for Saida. Desperately, his crystal-light eyes searched the crowded area. There! his mind screamed as his gaze fell upon the mistress of his heart. She stood some distance away, beside her cousin. Whatever his misgivings about Caun’s trustworthiness, Ivor knew that—as long as Caun stood—he would allow no harm to come to Saida. With a sigh that was just short of relief, the flaxen-haired Captain turned his attention to the gates of Tharbad.

Already the stench of the Orc army was unbearable. Their growls and horrid cries drove a desperate fear into the guards of Tharbad. Never before had they been forced to face such an evil. “Look at them!” Ivor heard Sûlfalas’ low voice from his right. “They are terrified.” There was no harsh judgment in his words—only a sense of sad understanding. “Come on!” Ivor cried.

Moving forward the three Elven warriors and Aervon—brave soldier of the Adan—stood shoulder to shoulder before the huge wooden gates. With every thunderous crash of the Orcs without, the gates bowed, showering the four with large splinters. Ivor turned and addressed the confused gathering of troops. He saw with pride that those of both his and Ohtar’s command stood fast and ready to fight. But, if the city was to be saved, he knew that the guards of Tharbad would need to be rallied to fight by their side.

“Hear me! Guardians of Tharbad!” Ivor roared as he stood before them. Behind the tall Elven leader, the gates bowed again with a deafening crack. “The minions of Sauron would wrench your city from your grasp! They would take from you all that you hold dear!” He saw all eyes trained upon him—those of the Alliance hard and determined; those of the Tharbad troops frightened and unsure. “This is YOUR city…. Your HOME!” As Ivor spoke, he saw a cold smile grow upon the face of the Northern warrior—his friend—Súlfalas. “Let us make sure that they…,” he pointed Acharn toward the fast-crumbling gates, “…know IT WELL!”

A great roar erupted from the forces. Cold resolve now showed in the eyes of Tharbad’s troops. As Ivor turned to stand again by his friends’ side, Súl uttered a hearty laugh. “The High-King has taught you well, indeed!”

In the next instant, the gate was breached, and Ivorcheneb rushed forth into the black tide of Sauron’s evil...

[Edited on 3/11/2004 by Faenauliel]
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email