Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Rudhwethiel
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Dartho Annin An-uir: Be With Me Always
on: November 11, 2004 07:59
Caun knew he would die today. He felt death at his heels, a shadow-hound he could not leave behind. The black horde would return. Tharbad would be saved. But Caun would not see another morning. Strange how that knowledge made this morning all the more beautiful. Every leaf on every tree stood out in sharper detail. The blazing colors of the morning sunrise had never been so vivid, the air had never been so sweet.

He had left the city gates for a few hours of quiet. "So much to think about when you know you're going to die," he thought with a wry smile as he walked silently through the fallen leaves. He thought of his "home," the village and the people who had cast him out. He could still smell the smoke from the fires, and the strong smell of Morna's herbs. He remembered his childhood in the companionship of his cousins, Jehan and Saida. They had been happy at times, as only children can be when surrounded by darkness. But time had passed, and things had changed. The darkness became real, took on ugly forms that they must fight against or accept and become a part of. Thankfully Jehan never had to make that choice. Pallando and death saved her from that at least. Caun himself had chosen, and was exiled. Saida had chosen, and yet not chosen, and either way would suffer all her life.

His brow creased in anger. She was all he had left. What would happen to her after she was dead? She could take care of herself, no doubt. And the elven captain was obviously willing to help. But after Caun was gone, no one would ever again truly understand her. There were things he must tell her . . . things he knew would set her free . . .

The orcs were coming. There was no more time to think. His cousin was in these woods somewhere, he must get her inside the city and fight with her for as long as he could. As long as he had breath, he would not leave her alone.

The next day

The city had been saved. The warriors of the Alliance and the soldiers of Tharbad had fought valiantly, and had triumphed against the great numbers of the dark army. Yet there is little joy in victory when it is bought with the blood of comrades, friends, even loved ones. A bleak hush hung over the city as the people of Tharbad and the Alliance buried their dead. In a scene horribly reminiscent of the aftermath of the last battle, the edain warriors joined together and sang their dirge as they laid their dead to rest. All but one.

In a tent on the far side of the Alliance camp, Saida sat on the floor beside the cot where her cousin's body lay. He had died before the dawn, but she would not let him be taken from her. When anyone entered she would rage at them with such violence that they finally left her alone. Even Ivorcheneb was not allowed to enter. Saida cradled Caun's body in her arms and sang over and over a dark lullaby of sorts, so many times that Ivorcheneb and Súlfalas soon knew it by heart.

Rhîw loss a Rhîw heleg
Echant esgal immen,
Mist ned dû
Na úelin celair
Tegi men bo
Nir innas im annan an le,
Ned myrn o dae a ross,
Rhîw loss a Rhîw heleg,
A uireb naeg.*

The two kept an uneasy vigil outside the tent. At last the northern ellon spoke: "Gon Ivorcheneb, we can not delay any longer. The people of Tharbad have reached the limits of their generosity, and our warriors grow restless. We can not afford to forsake our mission." Ivor nodded in grim frustration. He knew his friend was right. Setting his teeth, he pushed aside the tent flap and entered the tent's dim confines. Saida turned to face him instantly. "Get out!" she hissed in a venemous whisper. "Why do you all keep coming in here? Can't you see Gelladar is sleeping? I will not let you wake him!" Ivor stared at her in shock and anguish. She was mad. They had tried to tell him so- Tinu, Rawon, Súl in a way, even Saida herself. But he would not believe them . . . and here it was before him. And yet he still loved her, loved her so much that tears of sorrow for her grief began to flow freely down his face. He knelt on the floor beside her. Saida tried to strike him, but he caught her arms and pulled her into an embrace so tight that her struggles were useless. "Saida," he whispered, "Shhh it's all right . . . " "Of course it's all right!" she snapped. "Gelladar is just resting. He'll wake up soon, though, if you don't be quiet!" On and on she rambled, insisting that the form on the bed was her infant nephew and that he was resting. At last Ivorcheneb could stand no more. Taking her by the upper arms, he shook her so hard her teeth cut her bottom lip and it began to bleed. "Listen to me! That is not Gelladar! That is your cousin, Caun, and he is dead. Dead, Saida! Look at him!" Saida stared at Ivor, stunned. The frantic light in her eyes slowly dimmed, and she turned in his grip to look at the figure on the cot. Her eyes widened in recognition and her chest began to heave as she saw the black arrow protruding from the ellon's heart. "Caun . . ." she whispered, her pale face growing even whiter. Resting her head against Ivorcheneb's chest, she began to cry great heaving sobs that tore his heart.

*Winter snow and Winter ice
Make [a] veil between us,
Wandering in darkness
With no star bright
To lead us on.
Weeping will I long for you,
In nights of shadow and rain,
Winter snow and Winter ice,
And eternal pain.

((OOC - I'm sure I butchered the Sindarin again, any advice or suggestions are always welcome ))
gwendeth
Accounts Admin, Sindarin Mod & Head Stargazer of Varda
Send Message
on: November 14, 2004 06:13
Faevathor nudged Aervon abruptly. "Come on!" he cried, and with the man close behind him, the two followed Ivor into the courtyard. Side-by-side the two stood - and listend to the Elven Captain's defiant words. But then, there was a sudden 'change' in the gates behind them. A mighty 'crack' was heard, and they whirled. "One more and they'll be in!" Aervon shouted - forgetting his elf-friend's enhanced hearing abilities as he ducked the splinters falling 'round him.

Fae, however, never flinched. "Let them come!" he snarled back, and with grim determination, took a firmer grip on his sword. His dark eyes gleamed, and when the orcs broke through, the ellon was ready. With a loud cry - echoed by the other waiting warriors, Faevathor swung his sword, and sliced into the first of his hated enemies. Spinning and lunging, he met them - and still - fighting bravely next to him, was Aervon.

The numenorean's sword clashed against an orcs, and the evil-looking blade slid upwards towards his arm. "Not today!" he yelled, and in as close a 'copy' to Faevathor's actions as he could manage, whirled, and leapt backwards for a better stance. For a time, the man forgot anything else but the stink, and the sounds of the raging battle. But... apparently... Gon Ivorcheneb's words had worked, for the Tharbadians didn't break. For a brief moment, gasping for breath, Aervon looked around him wildly. He saw some from his own company... well... their company, still alive, as he spotted both men and elves fighting hard. Faevathor, he'd not lost sight of, though, but hadn't noticed until just now. "Your side!" he exclaimed, seeing the warrior's wound had re-opened; but the elf just shook him off. "I'm fine!" Fae answered, and then, "Behind you!" he cried, and as Aervon whirled, the elf's sword struck it's mark, just as another orc ran towards them.

Later, as Aervon thought about it - the way he and Faevathor had fought had almost been like a 'dance' as they coordinated their efforts. One would call - and lunge... while the other spun and sliced... and then, they would switch. But always, the man stayed on the ellon's left - guarding him from further injury.

Faevathor noticed it - but truly, the dark-haired warrior didn't care. Sensing an attack from behind, he whirled again, and with dark satisfaction, watched the orc fall. And... when the battle was over, the elf was almost sorry. He saw one enemy trying to get up, and with a loud cry, raced forward to finish it off, crying, "That, is for my wife!" He spent a long moment glaring down at the dead orc, and then, turning his back on it, headed through the exhausted survivors.

"Fae!" Aervon yelled, and limping a little, went after him - trying hard to keep up with the ellon's long strides. "Where are you going?" he panted, though the warrior slowed just a little. "I have to find Mithfaer," Faevathor answered. "Tharbad is saved, and if I know Ivor, we'll be moving out again as soon as he can manage it." At that, Aervon swore, for all he wanted to do right now, was to fall on the ground... and rest. But... he didn't, and after helping his elven-friend round up what horses they could, the two joined in with the other grim tasks necessary after a fight.

But, when the elves began to sing, Aervon noticed that Faevathor... did not. Tears were on the elllon's cheeks, and his dark eyes had a far-away look to them... but he couldn't seem to move, and his face was set - as if it was carved in stone. Nonetheless, the Numenorean stood with him, and a bit hesitantly, gripped Fae's shoulder in sympathy. When the song finally ended, the warrior - without meeting the man's eyes - whispered, "Thank you," and both of them hoped they'd be moving out again... soon.

[Edited on 15/11/2004 by gwendeth]
"Tolo si, a tiro i cherth Eru" "Come now, and see the works of God"
maeghin
RPG Moderator &
Harbinger of Laughter

Send Message
on: November 15, 2004 02:56
(sorry it's so short, but it's all I had time for :love: )

After the battle, Fara found Rissa and together, they helped to gather the dead for burial. It was a grim task, one that Fara dreaded. The while, he focused his mind on Rissa, else the stench and sadness of death would overtake him. When the bodies were buried, they sang their lament, Fara holding Rissa tightly, thankful that she was not amongst the fallen.

The ceremony lasted a short while, and Fara knew what would happen next. Captain Ivorcheneb would rally his troops and push forth. Fara suddenly remembered their original mission, to scout for the King’s armies… But in reality, were they even performing their duty? Fara wondered about this. It could not be helped that they had to fight off the Orcs, but still, shouldn’t they send word to the King? Above all, he began to wonder how many would die before the end if things kept up this way. Every battle fought, they lost men, too many men… and the Orc’s numbers seemed to be endless as they threw away their lives at the weapons of the men and elves.

Fara’s eyes scanned for Ivor and he found him, though the look on Ivor’s face showed that the Ellon had much on his mind. Perhaps now was not the time to second guess the Captain about his duty. Fara sighed, he knew Ivor was well aware of what needed to be done, and if Fara was in charge, he doubted he would have done anything different. At any rate, they would be setting out again, and soon.

“Come mellon nin,” He whispered to Rissa as he twirled a strand of her hair around a finger. “We should go find our steeds.”

Rissa nodded and smiled, though she could tell something was bothering her love, she would say nothing to him. She knew that in time, he would confide in her, as he always did.
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 17, 2004 11:49
Ohtar's head was spinning, blackness mixed with bright light in front of his eyes. He couldn't breathe, and he couldn't even think. His only wish was to survive...

He woke up, coughing. Slowly, Ohtar crawled out of the pile of orc bodies that had been lying on him. It looked like the battle was over. What had happened? The Adan could not remember, and it didn't bother him. He tried to get up, but his legs wouldn't hold him.

A clear song reached his ears. He had heard it before... The Burial song of the elves. So, they were alive! Never before had he been so happy to hear and see elves! Ohtar reached what remained of the broken gates and pulled himself up. Shaky and uncertain, but he was standing. His men! Where were they, were they still alive? Ohtar's sight fell on the still figure of Aervon. Ohtar sighed in relief. Ohtar wanted to call him, but no sound came over his lips. Instead, he grasped the broken wood tighter to prevent himself from falling, and listened to the elves singing. His head bowed in respect for those that had given their lives that day.
We still remember, we who dwell In this far land, beneath the trees The starlight on the Western seas...
In the Realm of Ulmo
Rudhwethiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 06, 2005 01:45
OOC: I hope with this post to renew a thread that has always been dear to my heart, not only for the characters and the story but for the people who have helped me to write it. Months have passed since we last posted here, it would be unrealistic to expect that we all just pick up like there was never a pause. If any of you are left who are still interested, I do not ask that of you- I ask you to begin anew with me. You have my love and respect regardless.
Rudh

The world seems not the same
Though I know nothing has changed
It's all my state of mind
I can't leave it all behind
Have to stand up to be stronger

Have to try
To break free
From the thoughts in my mind
Use the time that I have
I can say goodbye
Have to make it right

Have to fight
'Cause I know in the end it's worthwhile
That the pain that I feel slowly fades away
It will be all right

Even when hearts and bodies feel the fierce ache of loss and it seems impossible that life should go on, go on it does. Minutes fall like leaves from the trees, drifting away silently while the source wonders why the entire world does not shatter. On the company rode, their hearts heavy but their purpose ever clear. They were but a scouting party- yet they had fought and prevailed as warriors. The road ahead of them was long and hard, and they knew that a war unlike any they had ever known waited at the end.

She was truly alone now. Rather than defeat, this knowledge inspired in Saida a sense of purpose. She would live and die as Caun had- with no fear. And to that end she resolved not to love, for if she loved she would always fear loss. Her thin fingers broke the delicate chain around her neck and the mithril dragon was buried in the mud behind her horse's hooves. She would fight this battle and she would die in it- death was the only release she could see and the thought made her ache for it.

*Within Temptation

gwendeth
Send Message
on: July 06, 2005 05:16
(( An-uir, Rudh!! :hug: :heart: Always!! ))

Faevathor rode behind the vangaurd of the Scouting Party, the dark-haired elf's mind and heart filled with dark brooding. Many had fallen in Tharbad - and the cost? - That remained to be seen.

Beside him... was that Numenorean soldier. And though Fae noticed Aervon throwing him glances every so often, appreciated the man's silence. The elven warrior was in no mood to talk - even if their pace didn't discourage it...

(( sorry it's short - just letting you know I'm here!! ))
Faenauliel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: July 07, 2005 11:42
The countryside was fast becoming more bog than grassland. The company made its way through Dunland with barely a word—everyone seemed to have taken refuge within his or her own thoughts. They had ridden through much of the day and now the shadows had begun to lengthen as the sun made her way down to the West. They would spend much of the next day, as well, making their way through increasingly wet swamp-lands before arriving at the Angren River and turning, then, to the East.

With great pride, he sat tall upon his silver mount, his head held high—his icy blue eyes confident and determined. But, try as he may to appear the ever-calm, self-assured commanding officer, his confidence in his own ability to lead was fast waning.

Saida had not said so much as a single word to him since he had allowed them to remove Caun’s body from the tent. Ivor had tried countless times to offer her solace… however slight it may have been. But she had barely acknowledged his presence—only once looking up at him with icy distance in her storm-grey eyes. That one glance had wounded his very soul.

Now, it was as if the stony wall which has protected her heart—the wall he had chipped away at for so long and had managed to breach for, what now seemed, such a brief moment—had been replaced by an icy darkness. Now… no matter how he reached out with his heart… he could no longer feel her. Saida had made it clear… To her, Ivor was dead.

A playful, rough nudge brought Ivor out of his thoughts. Quickly, he turned to his left, plainly annoyed. “I said,” Súlfalas rolled his eyes and continued, “that if you don’t smile soon….I will assume you have died and shall commence to bury you accordingly!” The dark ellon leaned toward his Captain, his dark eyes full of mischief.

Ivorcheneb shook his head and his long, golden braid danced. “Not this time, Mellon,” he replied grimly. “I have a job to do.” Grim laughter escaped Súl. “Those warriors,” he swept his muscled arm behind them in a wide arch. “They follow you because you have always treated them as equals… because they can both see and feel that you have a genuine concern for them as INDIVIDUALS—in short, you CARE about them! AND that you place your trust IN them!.... Become the aloof, stringently practical, distant Commander that you are—quite convincingly, I might add!—acting the part of NOW… and you shall lose every battle you lead us into… Not to mention the faith of all those who so willingly risk and give their lives to follow you into the fray.

Ivor’s shoulders and chin dropped. A great shuddering sigh escaped the Captain as Súl placed a comforting hand upon his shoulder. “Mourning has taken her into the icy depths of her own soul,” Súl’s voice had dropped to barely more than a whisper. “I know much about the place in which her heart lives now… But—I assure you—that it does still live!—What little heart that was afforded her by Illúvatar—And if ANYone can bring her back from such deep grief, it is you!”

Ivor turned in his saddle, letting his light eyes fall briefly upon the source of his anguish—his love. “Ivorcheneb!” Súlfalas laid a painful thump across the silver ring in Ivor’s ear. With a hiss, he turned—ice-blue eyes met those dark as a starless night. “Give her time, Mellonen. Do not let her grief destroy you… for you will be the only haven she will have from it.”

“Yes… I know you are right… I just—“ The dark warrior’s attention was suddenly drawn away toward the bushes that bordered the Old-South Road “What is it?” The Captain’s voice grew instantly concerned. “I’m not entirely sure…” Súlfalas said. His brow furrowed in confusion. “There, in the bushes beside the road… I could have sworn I saw—“ He shook his head. “No… There is nothing. It has been a long ride and an even longer day…”

A small smile touched Ivor’s lips—the first which had resided there in days, “Then you should scout ahead for a suitable camp!” Súlfalas faced Ivor in mock annoyance. “Consider it an order,” Ivor’s jovial laughter returned, albeit briefly. Smiling in return, the Moriquendi winked—his scar making the gesture more fearful than charming—laying his fist over his heart in an Elven salute. “As you wish, Gon Ivorcheneb!”
Rudhwethiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 09, 2005 04:09
Olnir listened to the tale of the battle in the Tharbad tavern, stroking his beard thoughtfully. He had come on what he thought would be his yearly mundane trip to town, and was met with the news of war instead. The thought of humans and elves fighting together was strange to him. He had no real fondness for elves, or humans either for that matter. Dwarves were better off not mingling with others.

But as he listened he grew more certain that this company of warriors was doing something right. Not all dwarves hid in the ground and turned a deaf ear to the world above- Olnir knew of the evil that was growing and it troubled his mind. Someone was doing something about it, and as he listened he decided that they weren’t going to do it without him. He thumped his mug down on the table and stood to his full height of 3 feet 8 inches. Throwing his coins on the table, he left without a word.

Thankfully he had little to do to prepare- he had no family save eight or nine brothers, and they would not think it odd of him to disappear for months at a time. All that was of value to him he already carried on his back- mining tools, bedding, a change of clothes, food enough for a week, and his axe and sword. He had no armor- he thought with a gruff laugh that his leathery skin and hard head were all he needed.

The elven king’s warriors had left but an hour ago- the size of their company would demand that they take the road at least for a few hours. But for one alone there was another way, through wet places where no horse could travel. Pushing aside a pang of regret for his warm bed at home, the dwarf stretched once and began running. Unlike most of his kind he could run for days, his burly frame seeming inexhaustible.

The evening shadows grew long, Olnir knew the men and elves would make camp soon. Now was the time to take to the road. As he left the shadow of the bog and felt the muddy path beneath his feet, an object caught his eye. Stooping he picked it up and looked at it in wonder. A dragon with sapphire eyes- a mithril dragon. Such a gift was costly and the craftsmanship made him catch his breath. Who would be so careless with such a thing? Wiping the mud away, he tucked it safely into a hidden pocket on his jerkin. That dragon had a story to tell and he would hear it before he died, he felt sure.

The sound of horses and low murmurs reached his ears. They were close, and he did not wish to be seen first. Taking to the bogs again, he deftly made his way across a triangle of land that formed a slight bend in the road. It was enough to let him move ahead and stoop beneath some bushes as they passed, but barely. A dark elf that he would not want to meet alone looked in his direction, then looked away. They would make camp soon, and then the dwarf could observe them at his leisure.

Súlfalas left his captain’s side and urged Caden ahead, searching for a place to camp for the night. No easy task was it, for the ground had grown damper with the miles. A mosquito whined by his ear- this must be terrible for the humans, he thought wryly. At last he found a spot that he thought might do.He dismounted and began to examine the area. Well off the road, high enough to be useable.Unexpectedly an image, a vision even, of his dead wife caused tears to sting in his eyes. He saw her as she stood in the doorway that last morning, tears in her eyes and her slender body swelling with the life of their child. She had always been afraid- he had tried to loose the melancholy that surrounded her and give her a good life, and he felt he had succeeded most of the time- but remembering the look in her eyes that day made his resolve to help Ivorcheneb even stronger. With one last look like a kiss the vision slipped away. Caden gave him a rough bump on the shoulder, and Súl turned and gave the stallion an affectionate pat. “I know, old man, time to go.”

[Edited on 9/7/2005 by Rudhwethiel]
gwendeth
Send Message
on: July 09, 2005 08:09
(( Since we've not heard anything from Nif for a long time, I'm going to 'assume' that Ohtar was too injured to continue on - at least for now. If she comes back, perhaps she can just have Ohtar follow and/or 'catch up' when he's better. - So... I hope this is ok. If not - I can edit! ))

Lost in thought, Faevathor didn't notice Súlfalas leaving the group until Aervon lightly touched his arm. "Where's he going?" the man asked, and nodded towards the disappearing elf.

"Hmm?" Fae looked up. "Oh... Ivor's probably sent him ahead to search for a good campsite," he answered, and sighed. And then, "Did Ohtar give any orders before we left?" "No," Aervon shook his head. "Then... if you're Senior of your group - you should speak to Gon Ivorcheneb, Aervon - he'll need your support."

With a slight grimace, the Numenorean nodded. "Good thing I've had Ohtar training me all this time," he answered, and urged his mount into a slightly faster pace... bringing his horse next to the crystal-eyed elven Commander's.

"Um... Gon Ivorcheneb?" Aervon said - a bit hesitantly. "I'm Aervon. It looks like I'm now commanding... unless Captain Ohtar heals fast enough to join us again. I just wanted to let you know..."

Fae watched Aervon head to chat with Ivor with a slight smile on his face. - Of any of the Numenoreans, the Human warrior seemed a good, solid fighter - and quite capable of taking over for Ohtar.

Trying to turn his thoughts, the dark-haired ellon wished he and the injured Human captain had had more of a chance to talk.

But, as in any battle, there were those who survived, and those who were lost. And... swore inwardly. Was there nothing he could think of that did not bring his dead wife to mind? Glancing towards the back of their Company, Faevathor caught sight of Saida's stony countenance. Caun's loss was still too 'fresh' to the elleth, he thought, as was his own. - Talking to Súl had helped - a little, Fae thought. Perhaps... when they made camp, he should approach his Captain's love. Even though he was sure it was Ivor who would help her the most - if she'd let him, it couldn't hurt for him to at least try...
Rudhwethiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 20, 2005 03:05
Camp had been made quietly and efficiently, a far cry from the company's last night of revelry at the palace. Confident that his choice for a place to stay the night was adequate, Súlfalas scanned the faces of the warriors as he worked. An elf caught his eye- he had seen the ellon before but never noticed until now the terrible scar that ran down the blond elf's face. As if he felt him watching, the elf lifted cold blue eyes like a winter sky and met Súl's gaze. This one has a story too . . . The thought struck Súlfalas with certainty. Stacking some extra logs onto the heavy load he already carried, Súl strode to the campfire where the other ellon was working. "Need some more wood, mellon nin? I already shook most of the spiders off. And what I missed . . . well, let's just hope they don't find their way into the cooking pots."

Before the blond elf could reply, a commotion sounded from the other side of the camp. Ivorcheneb, and another voice Súl did not recognize, both protesting indignantly. Without hesitation Súl dropped his load of firewood. “Come on!” he yelled to the other ellon. Together they made their way to the scene, and stopped short at what they saw. Gon Ivorcheneb and, of all things, a dwarf stood eyeing each other warily in the midst of clamoring men and elves. Súl moved to stand by his captain’s side. “Everything all right, Captain?” His tone was deceptively casual. Ivor gestured to the dwarf. “This fellow has been following us, all the way from Tharbad it seems. He says he wishes to join our company. He’s been watching us- I tripped over him just a moment ago.” Súlfalas and the dwarf sized one another up- or down, in Súl’s case. Olnir stood silent, his countenance surly. Súl raised a questioning eyebrow at Ivorcheneb. The elven captain was obviously perplexed- how could they invite a stranger- a dwarf, no less, along on such a mission? And yet the stubborn look in the dwarf’s eyes clearly said that he wouldn’t be left behind.

Suddenly Olnir spoke up gruffly. “I know you have no reason to trust me. Your concern is for your men and I respect that. But I’ve a good axe and the strength to use it, and no love for the filth of Mordor. Watch me as close as you want for as long as you have to, but I’m telling you you won’t regret having me with you.” Something in the dwarf’s tone rang true, and at last Ivorcheneb shrugged and relaxed his defensive stance. “Captain Ivorcheneb, servant of the High King.” Olnir nodded in response to the introduction. “And your bodyguard?” Súl fought back a snicker at the dwarf’s cheekiness. A ghost of a smile flitted across Ivor’s handsome features. “Súlfalas. If a traitor is so unlucky as to be caught among us, it’s his responsibility to dispose of them.” Súl gave no answer to this, but made a great show of picking his teeth with his dagger. A twinkle in the dwarf’s eye showed Súl and Ivor that the humor was not lost on the him. “Well enough then, sirs. Who is to be my keeper until I’ve proved my mettle?” “I leave that to Súlfalas.” Ivor said, a sudden weariness in his voice. Without another word he turned and left the small crowd.

Súl scanned the men and elves gathered around, his gaze falling once again on the ellon with the scar. He motioned the elf to come forth. “You. I make it your duty to keep an eye on our friend- what’s your name again?” Súl stooped down to the dwarf’s height. “Olnir,” the dwarf rumbled gruffly. “Our friend Old Rear,” Súlfalas continued without missing a beat. “You are to be companions until Captain Ivorcheneb says differently. Any questions? Good. I bid you all a fair evening then.” Without further ado Súlfalas left to find Ivor, leaving the elf and the dwarf to get acquainted whether they liked it or not.

Im thîr ned lîn melui hin
Sui im annagwanath
Gerin peniale na îdh
Avale ennas dartho
Nallaim, nallim
An i gûr ned le a nin

Just outside the circles of firelight, Saida sat with her back against a tree. A leather pack of curious and skillful design lay in her lap, her fingers unconsciously traced over the pattern of stars on the front. Caun's belongings, all he had in the world fit into that small container. She could not bring herself to open it yet- perhaps she never would- it was enough to have some small piece of him still with her. She closed her eyes against the memories.

The wind swirled softly over the ground, releasing the scent of grass and sleeping flowers. Such a beautiful night. Footsteps, nearly silent but discernable to her keen ears, softly traveled near. Faevathor had been wandering alone this night as well. He took a seat near her, close enough to touch but leaving enough distance between them that each might still harbor their secret thoughts.

*I look into your sweet eyes
As I give you death
I have put you to rest
Will you not stay there
I weep, I weep
For the death of you and I
-S.L. Windsor

[Edited on 21/7/2005 by Rudhwethiel]
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 20, 2005 05:03
Ainu stood speechless, glaring after Sul with a look of disbelief.
Why in the world did he….?
Ainu had remained silent and withdrawn from the others since their setting out- he wasn’t particularly unfriendly, but he didn’t like interacting with others when he could help it. Even his lute had been silent- but then, it had been for many days before their ‘adventure’ had begun. Point being, he had gone out of his way to be un-noticed. Now he was being asked- no, told- to keep company with a dwarf?!
The minstrel glanced sideways at the dwarf and groaned inwardly. He was not fond of men, but he liked dwarves even less. He thought them a crude and uncouth people, and he definitely didn't want to be this one's 'keeper'.
It seemed, however, that he had no choice.”
"I suppose we are stuck with each other," he sighed heavily, turning to his new ‘companion’. Ainu felt that others were smirking at his luck—he didn’t find it humorous at all. In fact, he was rather annoyed. He narrowed his eyes down at Olnir, taking in his stout, rugged appearance. The beard. The axe.
*siiigh*
“I was working on getting a good fire going,” he said after they had studied each other for a moment. “You should come back over here with me unless you want us both to get in trouble.”
He waited for a moment before turning and heading back toward the fire to continue what he had been doing.

(hope thats an okay first post! )
gwendeth
Send Message
on: July 21, 2005 04:23
As they'd done before Tharbad, Fae carried out his duties in silence. The day's ride had seemed interminable - particularly once Aervon had gone forward to talk with Ivor.

But, once done, the dark-haired elf couldn't seem to settle down... almost 'prowling' around their small camp. Not even the arrival, and disturbance caused by a Dwarf joining them made much impression on the grieving Faevathor... though his lip twitched once in amusement when Súl 'assigned' the newcomer into Ainu's care.

And yet... he spotted Saida sitting alone, fingering Caun's pack. Slowly, and with footsteps only audible to another elf, Fae approached, and cautiously lowered himself to the ground.

For some little time, he was silent, and then, without looking at the elleth, Fae spoke. "At least," he said in a low voice, "you have 'something' to remember him by. - That is more than I have..."

There were tears glistening on the ellon's cheeks, quite 'plain' in the moonlight, and the glow from a nearby warming-fire. How Saida would reply - or even if she would, Faevathor couldn't guess, but at the least... he'd 'offered' her the opportunity...

Aervon watched Faevathor wandering aimlessly around in the darkness, and shook his head. His chat with Captain Ivorcheneb had gone well - he thought. - Yet, the Numenorean wished that Ohtar had been well enough to come along. It was 'difficult' - and yet, not, to change commanders on a mission like this. - One got 'used' to such when fighting.

He was startled when a Dwarf showed up - and one who'd apparently followed their small group from Tharbad. He watched the 'interplay' of the elves with Olnir, and shrugged. Well... as depleated as their troop was - any fighting ability would be welcome.

As he knew Ohtar would have, Aervon checked on the other Humans, making sure they had their Watch-times 'set', and that those who were still bearing injuries had taken no further harm in the day's ride, before settling himself down to grab a few hours of sleep.

[Edited on 21/7/2005 by gwendeth]
Faenauliel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
on: July 22, 2005 12:46
His ‘discovery’ of the Dwarf unsettled him… So clouded was his mind that, had it been an enemy, his death would have come before his alarm had even been raised. UNacceptable! his mind raged as he wandered in the darkness. He was charged with leading this scouting party in order to protect the High King… as well as King Elendil. And now his mind had become so consumed with Saida that his dedication to duty had suffered. He had known that allowing Saida to follow him would be a mistake. “GAH!... Why couldn’t you just remain at the palace as I asked you too?!” he growled softly to himself.

But, even as the thoughts burst forth in his mind, he knew he was only deceiving himself. It was no fault of Saida that he could not keep his mind focused where it belonged… It was not Saida who had become the love-struck fool… Ivor knew that he had only himself to blame. He had allowed himself to become drunk on her flirtatious glances and crushed by her cold reproach for the love he felt.

His footfalls ended suddenly at the edge of the encampment… His gaze had fallen upon the object of his love and fury. Saida was sitting in the dark shadows of a tree, removed from the circles of firelight… and beside her was his old friend, Faevathor, leaning in close. Ivor’s Elven ears could pick up their whispered voices upon the wind, but could not make out the words.

“No more…” the Captain whispered to himself. Súlfalas had been approaching Ivor, sure that the set of the Commander’s shoulders meant that his friend was troubled. As Ivorcheneb turned, Súlfalas saw that his ice-blue eyes were filled with a cold emptiness. The dark warrior took a step back as Ivor passed. “Good!” Ivor’s smile held none of its usual humor. “Fetch Gon Aervon… We have much to discuss about the coming battle…”

The Captain’s pace did not slow as he passed Súl and continued on to where Celeg grazed at the edge of camp. The tall, silver stallion’s head rose and he whinnied deeply in greeting. When the golden-haired ellon passed without so much as a glance, the horse snorted his disgust and wandered off in the opposite direction in search of more tender grass… and better company.

As Ivorcheneb threw himself down upon his blankets and looked up at the stars, he wished—once again—that Saida had stilled his heart in that far away stable-yard long ago…
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 09, 2005 12:56
The water was oily, its smell made him sick. Its dirty surface was reaching his mouth, so he had to keep his lips tightly pressed together so that he wouldn't have to swallow the disgusting liquid. Still, it seemed that the water was forcing its way in his body, to poison him, tu suck out his life, to leave him dry... His mouth was burning, he was breashing heavily through his nose, but the water was slowly was climbing higher...Frightened to death, he watched it rising, and couldn't even move...

Ohtar couldn't fell the light hand that touched his forehead with a damp cloth. Nor did he see the worried eyes that wathced his sweating face and trembling body with growing fear. The Captain was burning in fever and kept throwing the blankets off. Moreover, his nervous movements were threatening to have his wounds open, so after a long consideration Cirya had decided to tie his hands to the sides of his bed.
Cirya bit her own hand in worry. The orcs had their swords piosoned, that was for sure. She couldn't let Ohtar die just like that, on her very arms!
"Come here!" she called a young girl that was helping her. "Stay with him. And keep this cloth wet and cold, and the Captain well covered with blankets. Clear?" The girl nodded, and Cirya hurried out. She might have been a little rude. A little ashamed of herself, Cirya decided to apology later. It could wait for now.
Half running, she headed for the gate. A guard stopped her.
"Where to, miss?"
"I need to go out. Please, Hir, do let me pass," Cirya asked as politely as she could.
"I am sorry, miss, but nobody is to exit the city while the orcs are possibly hiding nearby."
"I am not going far, just to the edge of that forest. I need some herbs for the wounded."
"I am sorry," the guard shook his head, "I have my orders."
Cirya couldn't believe her ears. Ohtar could die just because of some stupid orders!
"Listen! I would not leave the city walls if I didn't really NEED IT! And I do! So do step aside and let me pass! Will you?!"
She pushed the guard aside.
"But Ma'am...!" the man tried to hold her back.
"DON'T TOUCH ME!" Cirya jumped at his touch. The guard backed off at the sight of her face. Anger made her eyes sparkle as if she could set the gate on fire just with one look. The guard nodded and opened the heavy and damaged gate. Cirya turned abruptly and headed right to the forest, walking angrily. The guard chewed his lips, watching her. Having shifted nervously for a while, he waved to his companion.
"I will accompany her," he said and, his sword at ready, followed the elleth.
We still remember, we who dwell In this far land, beneath the trees The starlight on the Western seas...
In the Realm of Ulmo
Rudhwethiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 09, 2005 02:16
For some little time, he was silent, and then, without looking at the elleth, Fae spoke. "At least," he said in a low voice, "you have 'something' to remember him by. - That is more than I have..."

It took some time for Fae's words to penetrate the fog that surrounded Saida's mind and heart. At last she half turned her face to him in the dark. "Something to remember him by, aye . . . but what boon is that when the memories are crueler than the loss?" She heard Faevathor's breathing change, knowing that her words had brought him fresh pain, an ugly thought that he had not yet considered. She had not meant to wound him - somewhere deep some spark of gratitude was struck in her, that he had tried to reach out to her own pain even through the heavy curtains of her own. Knowing her words were of no use, Saida simply reached out and took his hand in the dark.

The minstrel glanced sideways at the dwarf and groaned inwardly. He was not fond of men, but he liked dwarves even less. He thought them a crude and uncouth people, and he definitely didn't want to be this one's 'keeper'.
It seemed, however, that he had no choice.”
"I suppose we are stuck with each other," he sighed heavily, turning to his new ‘companion’. Ainu felt that others were smirking at his luck—he didn’t find it humorous at all. In fact, he was rather annoyed. He narrowed his eyes down at Olnir, taking in his stout, rugged appearance. The beard. The axe.
*siiigh*
“I was working on getting a good fire going,” he said after they had studied each other for a moment. “You should come back over here with me unless you want us both to get in trouble.”
He waited for a moment before turning and heading back toward the fire to continue what he had been doing.

Olnir's keeper was no more happy with his assignment than the dwarf was to be kept. Nonetheless, neither of them felt like aruguing with the elven captain who was rumored to have slain a dragon with one stroke of his sword. Thus the two of them labored together in grudging silence before settling down for the night. By the light of the fire Olnir pulled the mithril necklace from his pack, careful to let no one see. The dragon's sapphire eyes caught the firelight and danced as if the creature were alive. Olnir felt eyes on him and looked up to find his unwilling companion watching him impassively.
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 09, 2005 06:57
Olnir's keeper was no more happy with his assignment than the dwarf was to be kept. Nonetheless, neither of them felt like aruguing with the elven captain who was rumored to have slain a dragon with one stroke of his sword. Thus the two of them labored together in grudging silence before settling down for the night. By the light of the fire Olnir pulled the mithril necklace from his pack, careful to let no one see. The dragon's sapphire eyes caught the firelight and danced as if the creature were alive. Olnir felt eyes on him and looked up to find his unwilling companion watching him impassively.

Ainu had been sitting in silence, retreating to his own dark thoughts and leaving the dwarf to his business. As he sat motionless, gazing into dancing flames, he drew the old lute into his lap. He made no move to play it, however; there was no song in his heart to ease the mind or soul. Sorrow seemed to hover over the camp like a dark cloud, heavier and more burdensome now that many had settled down for sleep and the quiet had grown. The minstrel knew that he would find no rest, so there was no point in trying.

Sighing, he half-heartedly plucked at a string, sending a single note vanishing into the night air. It was loud and strange by itself, a single lonely sound that only hinted at what his music would sound like. The noise brought some glances from those nearby, and the elf pushed the instrument aside, ruing that he had even cared to bring it along.

It was then that a glimmer caught his eye. He turned his cool gaze, scarred face expressionless as he watched his stout companion fingering what looked like a necklace; the item was hidden mostly by the dwarf's large hands. After a moment Olnir looked up. He seemed somewhat annoyed at being watched.
"What have you there?" Ainu asked softly. He had made up his mind earlier not to even try conversation with the dwarf, but he was desperate to break the painful silence.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: August 09, 2005 08:05
"Something to remember him by, aye . . . but what boon is that when the memories are crueler than the loss?"

Faevathor caught his breath, trying to stem the ever-so-close tears from erupting again. 'Memories'... and 'remembrances' flitted through the dark-haired ellon's mind... and to his surprise, Saida took his hand in her own. Tentatively, he briefly returned the pressure, and silently shared his grief.

Yet... Fae knew their separate sorrows were still 'different'. Saida still had a chance for what he was now bereft of... and with every beat of it, that knowledge sent aches through his heart. But, he was not the one to tell her... he'd watched the elleth and Ivor for far too long. She knew it was there, and Faevathor knew also that only Saida could allow his friends love to aid her healing... if she would but let him.

After a time, the elf sighed, and squeezed Saida's hand again. "Thank you," he whispered, "and... if you wish to talk later - perhaps I can then..."

Leaving the offer open, Fae rose, and made his way through the darkness to where his stallion was standing, and industriously grazing. With a pat, he leaned against the grey horse, and tried to clear his mind for rest. It wouldn't come though, and the ellon knew he'd be right where he was when dawn came creeping into the sky...
Rudhwethiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 16, 2006 06:27
**See OOC**

"What have you there?" Ainu asked softly. He had made up his mind earlier not to even try conversation with the dwarf, but he was desperate to break the painful silence.

Olnir quickly stuffed the dragon pendant back into his pack, irritated by the elf's curiosity. "Nothing. A trifle I found on the road." Questions still ingered in the elf's deep eyes, but the dwarf had no inclination to encourage them. "Be lost to your dreams, elf. I've no intention of going mad and murdering half the camp tonight."

Súlfalas found his way to where Aervon lay. Súl hated to wake the weary human, knowing that the few hours of sleep he had gotten were hardly enough, but he must do as his captain bid. Gently he bent over the man and shook him awake. "Aervon . . . Gon Ivorcheneb wishes to meet with us."

Without a word of complaint Aervon was on his feet. Blinking the sleep from his eyes, the man buckled on his sword and ran a hand through his hair. "Good man." Súlfalas slapped him on the back and they quietly made their way back to where Súlfalas had left Ivorcheneb.

As they drew near, Súl saw Ivor lying down, the set of his body communicating sheer misery. Súlfalas ground his teeth. "Aervon . . . stay here a moment." Súl pushed the weary human onto a log that had been up-ended for a seat. Aervon, too tired to argue, simply sat and tried to stay awake.

Súl strode to the side of Ivor's pallet, and with the toe of his boot nudged the captain none too gently. "What in the name of Illuvatar do you want?" groaned Ivorcheneb, his words muffled by his arm he had thrown across his face.

"I want to talk to my captain, who told me he had battle strategies to discuss at this ungodly hour." Without ceremony Súlfalas grabbed Ivorcheneb by the shoulders and dragged the tall elf to his feet. A dangerous fire burned in the blond ellon's eyes, but Súl had gone too far to turn back. "I want to get this whole campaign over with and bring the news back to our king that all is not lost. Oh, and see Aervon over there? I'm pretty sure he wants a fellow leader here." Aervon heard his name and gave a half-hearted wave from his log. "By the Valar, Ivorcheneb, she has unmanned you."

Shock and disbelief in Ivorcheneb's light eyes turned to anger and pain. "You go too far, Súlfalas."

"Perhaps I do. Do whatever you like with me." Súl's hand clenched Ivorcheneb's shoulders tightly and he drew near to him so that their faces were inches apart. "But the men need you, brother. Love can ravage us and beauty can leave us as dead men . . . but we must carry on. Let love turn to determination and thoughts of beauty to thoughts of war. I cannot lead them. We all look to you . . . tell me we have done right." Briefly he touched his forehead to Ivorcheneb's. He felt the anger slowly drain from the other ellon. "Tell me we have done right."

gwendeth
Send Message
on: January 17, 2006 12:34
(( Don't know if this 'helps' any or not... but here goes!! ))

From where he was standing with his horse, Faevathor watched Súlfalas wake Aervon, and the two headed off towards Ivor. Glancing back to where he'd left Saida, the ellon shook his head sadly. So badly he wanted to shake the elleth into awareness… for her to not brush aside Ivorcheneb's love as she had so often done. - Particularly, since he could still see his dead wife's face all too clearly in his mind. - Oh for just one more time to see Elvainiel… to hold her… to hear her voice! - Could neither of them 'see' what joys lay before them?

Turning his back on them, Fae spotted another of the ellyn in their company - Ainu. He'd been 'set' to 'watching' the Dwarf… but suddenly, Faevathor wanted to talk to someone who did *not* have heart-woes preying on their mind.

Giving Mithfaer a final pat, the dark-haired elf made his way over to when Ainu and the Dwarf had been conversing. Giving the latter a polite bow, Fae turned to Ainu. "Talk with me for a bit - will you?" he asked, and though they walked a short bit away, he could see Ainu's eyes still on his 'charge'.

"War brings 'unlikely' allies… does it not?" Faevathor commented. "First the Numenoreans, and now Dwarves?"

With a heavy sigh, the elf leaned against a tree. "Do you think we-we 'allies' can defeat the Evil One?" Fae asked, wanting the other ellon's true opinion.

Happily, if 'uncomfortably' asleep, Aervon was startled when someone shook him awake. "Wha…?" he inquired, and then saw the black-haired, earringed Súlfalas bending over him.
"Aervon . . . Gon Ivorcheneb wishes to meet with us."

"Of course!" the man answered, and sleepily staggered to his feet, and buckled his sword-belt round his waist.
"Good man." Súlfalas slapped him on the back and they quietly made their way back to where Súlfalas had left Ivorcheneb.

As they drew near, Súl saw Ivor lying down, the set of his body communicating sheer misery. Súlfalas ground his teeth. "Aervon . . . stay here a moment." Súl pushed the weary human onto a log that had been up-ended for a seat. Aervon, too tired to argue, simply sat and tried to stay awake.

Wondering 'why' the elven-captain wanted to speak with him, Aervon propped his elbows on his knees… and wished he'd something to prop open his eyelids, too.

He did notice Súl speaking with Ivor… and briefly, the former's voice became a bit louder. And, seeing the two glance his way, he briefly waved his hand. "Come on!" he quietly groused, but since he knew how important it was to show a 'united' face to their company, Aervon made certain that his voice wouldn't carry.

… And, the Numenorean was further surprised to see Gon Ivor unceremoniously hauled to his feet. Frowning, Aervon at first opened his mouth to protest… and then decided that whatever it was they were discussing, was none of his business - not yet, anyway. He'd been bid to 'wait'… so, 'wait', he would… but if 'things' got 'out of hand' between the two elves, the man began wondering just 'how' he could ease the tension…
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 18, 2006 04:31
Without glancing back, Cirya felt the man following her. Anger still boiling in her, she felt sorry and embarrased at the same time. She had been so rude! She had never acted this way before, and she had never known she even was able to! Always the quiet, gentle Cirya... She shook her head. It hadn't felt good, and she was determined not to repeat this kind of behavior again.

Slowing her pace a bit, the elleth waitted for the guard to catch up with her. Embarrasment clearly visible on her crimson cheeks, Cirya smiled at the man:

"I am sorry, hir nin, my behavior was beyond any acceptable norms. I can only explain it by the urgent necessity to reach the edge of the forest in order to get the necessary herbs I need for healing a badly wounded warrior..." her large blue eyes were staring at the man, pleading for forgiveness, and he found imself lost in the ocean-deep orbs before he even thought about chiding her for such reckless actions.

While Cirya was busy gathering the herbs, the guard stood by her side, ready and watchful, his gloved hand on the hilt of his sword. On their way back, he tried to keep a conversation going, but he only received polite answers from Cirya to the questions he asked... And when she left him by the gate, refusing his offer to acompany her further to where she was going, he stood watching her disappear around the cornes and suddenly realized she had avoided all the direct questions and he knew nothing more abot her than the moment they had met...

Cirya found Ohtar still deep in his feverish sleep. She thanked the girl for keeping an eye on him and set to preparing the tea. One by one she took the herbs, looked closely at them and let them softly in the hot but not boiling water, whispering words in a melodic voice. She called to he Valar in the ancient language of Quenya the way she had learned from the old scrolls in King Gil-Galad's library. Now it was the time she could use the knowledge.
In the Realm of Ulmo
Rudhwethiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 26, 2006 04:18
Oh night thou was my guide
oh night more loving than the rising sun
Oh night that joined the lover
to the beloved one
transforming each of them into the other

Upon that misty night
in secrecy, beyond such mortal sight
Without a guide or light
than that which burned so deeply in my heart
That fire t'was led me on
and shone more bright than of the midday sun
To where he waited still
it was a place where no one else could come

After a time, the elf sighed, and squeezed Saida's hand again. "Thank you," he whispered, "and... if you wish to talk later - perhaps I can then..."

Saida watched as Faevathor melted into the shadows of night and was lost to them. The look in his eyes haunted her; it drove deeper the jagged pain that had lodged itself in her heart. She could sense his confusion, his fresh grief made all the more raw by it's strangeness to him. Tears burned bright in her eyes, for Faevathor, learning day by day to cope with grief; for Caun, who had been marked for death from the day of his birth; for the thousand others who were forever scarred by the darkness that was spreading across Middle-earth.

It must be stopped!

Over the hours of the night, her grief turned to white-hot fervor. One thought echoed again and again in her mind- vengeance. At last she stood and stretched her weary limbs. Saida strapped Caun's pack against her side and pulled her curved knife from its sheath. Willing her aching muscles into submission, she began to practice in the dark. The movements came back to her quickly, and with them visions of other days.

Her fight was not yet finished.

*from The Dark Night of the Soul by Loreena McKennitt

[Edited on 27/1/2006 by Rudhwethiel]
LoremasterMiar
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 08, 2006 02:26
Dark times were upon the lands of Eriador, for the Dark Lord Sauron had at least unleashed the forces of evil and tyranny which had threated to happen ever since the dawning of this Second Age of the Sun. The homes and lands of the Free Peoples of the West were once again being laid to waste and once more Glorfindel Ingold was standing firm in the defence of all which was right and true.

Or at least he had been before his patrol had been ambushed, vastly outnumbered and driven back with great loss. The result was a good loss of at least half his solidiers, and unlike Sauron the resources of the Elves were not expendable. For every legion, the second Dark Lord seemed to have two. The fact of the matter was that the enemy could afford greater losses than the Elves.

Glorfindel was stewing with bored, he'd been ordered to do the worst possible thing was an experienced warrior in a time of war, he had been assigned...bed rest! Despite protests that both arrow wounds to his chest were merely 'superficial' and his repeated assurance to the Healers that the poison would 'work it's way out,' that he not stopped three weeks of recovering here in Tharbad. So it was that by the end of the third week, Glorfindel had resigned himself to the invetable tedium which ensued from merely lying in bed all day long.

However, as is so often the case in Middle-earth, a chance meeting was about to caterpult him right back into the heart of the action.

So it was one particularly quiet day that Glorfindel finally decided to remove himself from the Healer's dwelling and set off out and about to see what was happening in and around Tharbad. Of course he knew the city well, having past through here many times before on journeys into the southerm lands, mainly through the Gap in the Mountains to the South, into the wide open planes beyond that.

Having no set motive yet, he merely embarked upon a random meyandering through the various streets in some attempt to find something to do.

(ooc: beg pardon here Nifredil, as I am not sure of Cirya's location, so I'll say he picks up on the singing and follows it.)

Suddenly a brilliantly wonderful melody floated down to rest up his warworn ears. Such sweet sworrow, it sang of eternity and a wide land were everything had lived on and nothig had died. Such a realm which could only exist in the deepest minds of dreamers or in the hearts of those who had seen it for themselves. In his youth his father, Salleth, had told him much of this realm, and though he had never seen it, Glorfindel's heart was moved by the sweet sound of his kin beyond the Sundering Seas.

Thus, forgetting all logic and reason, he bent all of his will and purpose towards seeking out the source of that most enchanting sound.

In these next moments Glorfindel strayed without thought or reason, even the lingering pain of the wounds seemed calmed by something which he had thought never to hear again. However, at last Glorfindel strayed upon the source, Cirya.

"Lady," he spoke without introduction or annoucement, so it might have seemed as though he had spung suddenly from the grass, "Pray who are you who are such knowledge and mastery of a tongue which is ailen to such desolate and mortal lands as these? How did you come by a sound so wonderful that the merriest drops of spring showers upon rippened petals cannot ever hope to match such wonder and musical intonation? Pray speak, I wish only to know that."

(ooc: hope thats alright, but that's Glorfindel introduced... )

[Edited on 8/2/2006 by LoremasterMiar]

[Edited on 9/2/2006 by LoremasterMiar]
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 12, 2006 12:22
Olnir quickly stuffed the dragon pendant back into his pack, irritated by the elf's curiosity. "Nothing. A trifle I found on the road." Questions still ingered in the elf's deep eyes, but the dwarf had no inclination to encourage them. "Be lost to your dreams, elf. I've no intention of going mad and murdering half the camp tonight."

“I wouldn’t expect it of you,” Ainu replied, “But I won’t find any rest in dreams. If I sit awake it is only because my thoughts won’t give me respite- not because I am worried about your intentions.”

Giving Mithfaer a final pat, the dark-haired elf made his way over to when Ainu and the Dwarf had been conversing. Giving the latter a polite bow, Fae turned to Ainu. "Talk with me for a bit - will you?" he asked, and though they walked a short bit away, he could see Ainu's eyes still on his 'charge'.

"War brings 'unlikely' allies… does it not?" Faevathor commented. "First the Numenoreans, and now Dwarves?"

With a heavy sigh, the elf leaned against a tree. "Do you think we-we 'allies' can defeat the Evil One?" Fae asked, wanting the other ellon's true opinion.

“If you want to know what I truly believe- our chance of victory is too small to give much hope, and the losses that will come with it are too great. But I think that there is hope… and even if its just a small amount… we should cling to it. Otherwise there is no sense in what we’ve set out to do... no sense in fighting at all.”

He was silent for a moment, looking back at Olnir and their fire- and the lute that he’d left behind. The depressive mood that still hovered over the camp was beginning to become stifling…
A grim smile touched Ainu’s lips and he turned to the dark-haired ellon., leaning against the tree himself. He was desperate to get away from dark thoughts and sadness… so he turned instead to another subject he was familiar with.
“Do you like music, Faevathor?”

(hope this is ok... not much, but its something! and yay, LMM! welcome to the thread!)
gwendeth
Send Message
on: February 15, 2006 09:45
(( OOC: heh, I can't really post anything for Aervon yet, I'm afraid, but I'm still here! ))

“If you want to know what I truly believe- our chance of victory is too small to give much hope, and the losses that will come with it are too great. But I think that there is hope… and even if its just a small amount… we should cling to it. Otherwise there is no sense in what we’ve set out to do... no sense in fighting at all.”

He was silent for a moment, looking back at Olnir and their fire- and the lute that he’d left behind.
A grim smile touched Ainu’s lips and he turned to the dark-haired ellon., leaning against the tree himself.
“Do you like music, Faevathor?”

Finding himself in agreement with Ainu, Fae was startled by the other ellon's question.

"Music?" he repeated, and lowering his eyes to the ground, the dark-haired elf shrugged. All-too-clearly Faevathor could 'hear' his dead wife's voice... as practiced singing lullabys for the children they'd one day hoped to have... and now would never be. Was there nothing he could think of that did not bring her to mind? he wondered, and fought to keep from sighing heavily.

But, as he struggled to bury that memory, Fae nodded. "I have no skills in instruments... but I have sung often."

Looking up again at Ainu, "Do you have a favorite song?" he asked.
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 20, 2006 01:05
[OOC: I had not planned to have Cirya singing, but, if you need it, LMM - so be it! )

The day was getting old when Cirya finally stood up, placing a stray lock behind her pointed ear. Her back hurt from the long kneeling at Ohtar's side, and her shoulders were stiff. With a content sigh, she stretched like a cat, arching her back and reaching with her hands as high as she could.

Cirya was tired, but content. Ohtar was sleeping now instead of thet feverish slumber he had been slipping in and out all day long. Rubbing her tired eyes, the elleth thought about putting away the pots and the herbs she had used or didn't need anymore, but then decided against it. There would be time for that. Now she had to get a bit of fresh air. Moving lightly and soundlessly, she slipped outside, carefully closing the door behind her. The small room was full with the healing fragrances, and it was important to keep them locked inside.

Once outside, Cirya looked around, but the girl that had been helping her was nowhere to be seen. The elleth was reluctant to leave Ohtar alone without anybody keeping an eye on him, but then... He was sleeping now, wasn't he? And if her herbs and magic was right and working, the Adan would not wake until morning light. Cirya decided. She turned towards the town's center and just started walking. She needed to have a walk, just to move. For a while she walked, looking at the faces around her that were staring back at her with wonder. Cirya, unused to this kind of attention, was happy to find something like a small park in the suburban area of the town, opposite to where she herself was staying. With a sigh, she slid down on the grass. The sky had become dark, but there were no stars to be seen. Cirya remembered a night similar to this, when after long hours of an exciting discussion with the High King regarding the healing aspects of a song they had been standing in the King's garden, and he had begun a song. She had listened speechless, and later turned the whole library upside down to find the words of the melody that was carved in the memory. Silently, barely above a whisper, the same song now escaped her own lips. Her voise grew stronger, but still, she was singing quietly, only to herself and the memory of the night she had heard it first.

The last sound seemed to hang i the nightly air, still ringing by itself. It occured to Cirya, that she should have sung it to Ohtar, to support the healing process, when a dark figure appeared by her side. Lost in thought, she had never heard him come.

"Lady," he spoke without introduction or annoucement, so it might have seemed as though he had spung suddenly from the grass, "Pray who are you who are such knowledge and mastery of a tongue which is ailen to such desolate and mortal lands as these? How did you come by a sound so wonderful that the merriest drops of spring showers upon rippened petals cannot ever hope to match such wonder and musical intonation? Pray speak, I wish only to know that."

Cirya turned towards the elf with a genuine interest. She had not expected to find another one of her own kind in this human town. And this was not one of the ellyn who were in Gon Ivorcheneb's group.

"Aya,' she greeted him politely with a slight bow, "I thank you for your beautiful words, kind sir... It is a very special song I first heard from the High-King Gil-Galag himself, and I must confess I sung it very poorly, compared to the King... In fact, this is only the third time I have sung it at all..." she drifted away in her memories, compelety forgetting to tell the stranger her name. "But how come I meet an elf in Tharbad? I never expected to see here another one of my own kind."

She had stood up and was now looking right in the stranger's face. Cirya noticed his short-cut hair, although it was too dark to see the colour of ot, or of his eyes.

[Edited on 20/2/2006 by Nifredil]
In the Realm of Ulmo
LoremasterMiar
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 21, 2006 04:42
"Aya,' she greeted him politely with a slight bow, "I thank you for your beautiful words, kind sir... It is a very special song I first heard from the High-King Gil-Galag himself, and I must confess I sung it very poorly, compared to the King... In fact, this is only the third time I have sung it at all..." she drifted away in her memories, compelety forgetting to tell the stranger her name. "But how come I meet an elf in Tharbad? I never expected to see here another one of my own kind."

She had stood up and was now looking right in the stranger's face. Cirya noticed his short-cut hair, although it was too dark to see the colour of ot, or of his eyes.

"If you enjoy such a close relationship with the King for him to share one of the songs of the High Tongue then I must indeed be addressing one of high station and importance," Glorfindel smiled in return, but the strain showed in his feigned pleasure and dark look came into his keen blue eyes. For those leapt out of the shade, as lightning smiting in the hills in a tempest, brilliant and crystal clear.

There he was fully revealed to Cirya, a warrior of proud bearing, tall and well set. The defined features build set him among one of the Noldor, and yet whilst those diamonds that shone forth from his face were wondrous to behold, they held not the purest radiance of one who has seen the Light above alights beyond the Sundering Seas. As the sapphire stars set into the deepest shades of the Void were his eyes, the eyes of the Sindar. Nor did he have the dark mane of those proud delvers beyond the sea, more rather a copper flow spring from his head and ending above his shoulders.

“I, Lady, come not to Tharbad as a wanderer, though in such better times I would prefer nothing more, but as a Captain without his troops. My patrol was weigh laid by the soldiers of the Dark Lord, many times are numbers and…” firm tone petered out as ancient stone road giving way to mud beaten track, “Suffice to say Lady, I am here because I have faced the enemy and have survived, though not without cost. Now I rest here, awaiting the time when I will be ordered back to the field. Until that time arises, know that I am Glorfindel Ingold of the House of Fingolfin, trusted servant, and friend, of High King Erenion Gil-galad at your service,” such pride was there in the delivering of this statement revealed an elf who is part of a long and proud household and knows, to the end, what his duty is.

(ooc: sorry it's rubbish, but it's the way I always introduce Glorfindel).
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 21, 2006 08:39
Music?" he repeated, and lowering his eyes to the ground, the dark-haired elf shrugged

Ainu almost regretted his question. He could see in the other ellon's eyes that his mind and heart were somewhere else, and a flash of pain and loss went across his face, but he seemed to shake it off.

But, as he struggled to bury that memory, Fae nodded. "I have no skills in instruments... but I have sung often."

Looking up again at Ainu, "Do you have a favorite song?" he asked.

"A favorite?" The minstrel was silent, looking over at the small fire and the lute sitting near it, "There are several that I love, and that are close to my heart. It's difficult to choose only one.... but if I did, I would probably say one with a rather sad tone... but that may just be my mood. It's called Dreaming... it was written by a close friend of mine, many long years ago. The words are crossed between rejoicing and sorrow... but I suppose it is often that way with dreams of any kind."
He turned and raised an eyebrow, shifting his weight to his other leg.
"Have you ever heard of it?"
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 27, 2006 06:05
Cirya looked at the ellon with curiosity in her blue eyes. Glorfindel wa a true warrior indeed, this she could tell and feel - by the way he presented himself, by his behavior and stance. Yet, there was more to him than just the appearance. What it was, Cirya could not put her finger on. But perhaps it was for the best, that she could not....

"I am pleased to make your acquaintance, Hir Glorfindel," Cirya repeated the slight bow, putting as much respect as she could in it. For respect was what this ellon had in the air about him. "But now you must excuse me, for it is getting late and I have my own duties to perform." Cirya didn't feel like explaining the nature of her relationship to this just-encountered ellon, not the slightest bit. Soundlessly, she slipped in the shadowy darkness that was covering the narrow streets. Suddenly, she wanted to get back to the tiny room that now seemed to offer the feeling of comfort and... almost home. Uncomfortably afraid of the dark corners and the brightly lit tavrns, Cirya hurried back as fast as she could. The darkness without stars, the unfamiliar place, the presence of men, that number and state of them gave her shivers.

Finally, the elleth reached the door of the room whrer she and Ohtar were settled. She had been offered another room by the Captain of the Guard, but she had refused. Her patient needed every moment of the attention she could give him. And now, she felt guilty for being away for so long.

Carefully, she pushed the door open. The scent of the healing herbs hit her nostrils. Her ears caught the deep and steady breathing of the man sleeping on the hay matrass on the floor. Cirya placed her hand on Ohtar's forehead. It was quite cool. She sighed with relief. He would be all right. Then the elleth slipped under her own blanket by the opposite wall and slipped in the meditating state that was equal to sleep...
In the Realm of Ulmo
Faenauliel
Enethdan Edhellen
Send Message
Post Re: Dartho Annin An-uir: Be With Me Always
on: September 19, 2012 12:49
[OOC: I am just wondering if this thread is going to be erased? I would really like to save a copy (as well as a copy of any of my other threads that still exist) before it/they are erased. Please let me know! O ]
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email