Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Rivka
Frodo Fanatic and Head Oligarch
Send Message
Post POST LIMITS FOR THE RPG FORUMS [Please Read]
on: October 07, 2003 12:58
Starting today, all of the RPG sub-forums will have a posting limit of 7 posts per forum per person per 24 hours. This has been instituted due to machine-gun posting, despite pleas from the mods for people to slow down. Seven posts per forum a day by each person should be more than enough for you to be active participants in your RPGs -- and if it's not, then you're in far too many RPGs or posting too often.

Edit: Since some people are not bothering to read beyond the first post in this thread, and sending me PMs with stupid questions, let me explain further here:

The forum does not reset at a specific time every day or anything like that. Instead, at the moment you hit "Post Reply", the forum looks back 24 hours and sees how many posts you made in the past 24 hours. So let's say you post 3 posts around 9pm your time. And the next morning, you go to the forum and want to make some more posts -- you would only have 4 posts left, until it rolled around to 9pm again. So it's not 7 posts per _day_ -- it's 7 posts per 24 hours.

Or think of it this way.

1) You're reading this post. It is NOW.

2) Think back through the past 24 hours. How many posts have you made in that 24 hours? Subtract from 7. That's how many you have left at this exact moment.

[Edited on 3/7/2004 by Rivka]
"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."
rohanmaiden
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: POST LIMITS FOR THE RPG FORUMS [Please Read]
on: October 09, 2003 10:45
*bows to the great Rivka.* A thousand blessings upon you. This is SUCH a good idea. Machine-gun posting bugs me SOOOOOOOOOOOO much!!:angry:

~RM
Faramirs_first_kiss
Mearhwine Namsmið
Send Message
on: October 10, 2003 06:15
This is a really good idea. Hopefully it'll make people post nice long posts rather than squandering them on two-liners. Out of interest, what's the cutoff point between the days?
Kiss
Nimrochben
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 10, 2003 02:27
That's a good idea. Its plenty, like you said. For my thread in TR, I can be over-active in it in my view and posting about 4 times, so it is plenty. Its good that the machine-gunners be stopped, and like Faramirs_First_Kiss said, it can also help bring an end to the horrific one-liners.
Vende
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 10, 2003 02:48
I'm just glad you put the little counter at the bottom that shows how many messages you have left to post. It's also really nice that it's seven per sub-forum, not the WHOLE roleplaying forum. Yes, longer posts would be nice, but sometimes you just don't have much to say!
EldarExilePrincess
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: October 11, 2003 07:18
ok, 7 posts per sub forum per day. does that mean 7 posts in 24hrs, from wen u first posted? like, if i psoted at 6pm sunday, then 6pm monday is my deadline?
SayenElfJedi
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 11, 2003 12:27
ok, 7 posts per sub forum per day. does that mean 7 posts in 24hrs, from wen u first posted? like, if i psoted at 6pm sunday, then 6pm monday is my deadline?

*applause* yes that is exactly my question... it has been a day my time and i am confused as to why i have one post left ann i regularly only post once in the sub forum in 3 or 4 forums a day.... anyways, thanks for listening to my ramble
Rivka
Send Message
on: October 12, 2003 04:16
The counting mechanism appears to be having some problems. I'll look into it tomorrow, and see if I can fix it
EldarExilePrincess
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: October 12, 2003 04:18
yea, lol, i relaized that!
Elrohir2
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 15, 2003 11:48
ok 7 is a little low and most of my posts are 7 liners or more, i'am only in 3-4 RPGs
Rivka
Send Message
on: October 16, 2003 12:16
Okay, I think there must be a misunderstanding as to how the forum counts the 7 posts per day. Let me explain it carefully here:

The forum does not reset at a specific time every day or anything like that. Instead, at the moment you hit "Post Reply", it looks back 24 hours and sees how many posts you made in the past 24 hours. So let's say you post 3 posts around 9pm your time. And the next morning, you go to the forum and want to make some more posts -- you would only have 4 posts left, until it rolled around to 9pm again. So it's not 7 posts per _day_ -- it's 7 posts per 24 hours. I hope that clears up some of the confusion. From what I can see, the forum is counting that correctly.
SayenElfJedi
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 17, 2003 01:03
ok yes that helps clear some of the confusion up. i guess that the "counting of posts thing" will take a while to get used to.

[Edited on 07/11/2003 by SayenElfJedi]
HaldirOfLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 18, 2003 04:43
Wait so is it 7 posts from your last post?
Lhawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 25, 2003 02:40
Uhm.. HaldirOfLorien..

When you make the first post you will have 6 left until 24 hours have passed and you will again recive 7 posts to use .. that's how I understood it anyway
Rivka
Send Message
on: October 27, 2003 12:15
Think of it this way.

1) You're reading this post. It is NOW.

2) Think back through the past 24 hours. How many posts have you made in that 24 hours? Subtract from 7. That's how many you have left.
InweSilimaure
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 09, 2004 06:43
I didn't get any of my posts back on two forums Totally Tolkien and Non-Tolkien and I think it has been more than 24 hours aince then and i was wondering why I didn't get them back.
Lady_Elwing
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 10, 2004 04:57
Well...I'm not a huge fan of it, because my friend wants to post on our RPG, but she can't. And she's not machine-gun posting or anything, so it's kind of frustrating because we probably won't be able to talk to eachother about it until Monday. And we're both on right now.
Abraon
Workaholic Extraordinaire
Send Message
on: January 10, 2004 05:45
Lady_Elwing, another solution to the problem of having not enough posts per 24hr would be doing joint posts through chat or Instant Messengers (Yahoo, MSN, etc). It saves posts, they get longer and it's actually fun. Also no need to complain It's for everybody's own good.
InweSilimaure
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 11, 2004 12:53
It would be like absolutely perfect though if It was like 9 or ten posts a day though because I usually need on or two more than I get. But I do agree that it is good to have a limit and I understand that it makes it easier for the mods so im not really complaining, just making a suggestion
kaazebrabeads
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 14, 2004 03:57
I'd love it to be 10 rather than 7.

It took me a bit to realize the sites on Greenwich Mean time however and change the clock. That was a problem...

I have 3 characters in 3 threads and they talk ALOT! its just hard since one of my characters just got to an action point and I can't do anything......

I'm reasonably new so Its going to take a bit to get used to. I tried to make each post really count ( no one liners, I'm a MOD in a Harry Potter site (and a 'proffessor at Hogwarts) so I understand making it a worthwhile story line post), but its just a bit frustrating to not be able to post.....
gwendeth
Accounts Admin, Sindarin Mod & Head Stargazer of Varda
Send Message
on: January 14, 2004 04:02
When you have more than one character it isn't necessary to have different posts for each one. You can seprarate them by asterisks or some such and combine them into one post.

e.g.:

character #1

character #2
"Tolo si, a tiro i cherth Eru" "Come now, and see the works of God"
kaazebrabeads
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 14, 2004 04:21
That would help if all three characters were in the same thread...but they aren't. All three have very different personalities, and I put them in separate threads- each one to fit their character...

I just crossed two (my brothers are in the same thread for about another post at the most {Sorry for the pun}) in one post and totally forgot that trick to keep the posts from being counted separately.....

Arrrggghhhh....its drivng me nuts! I'm writing down the bare bones of my ideas so I can post them as soon as I get back in!
lalludar
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 15, 2004 12:27
ok, i havn't been in any roleplays on THIS site yet, but i think the rule isn't gunna work to well. cause on other sites that i roleplay on if there is someone else on thesame time as you just between you and the other person you can have pover 7 long posts in less then a half hour. i've been in a roleplay for over 4 hours non-stop, same roleplay, no breaks, and we had like at least 5 people at a time, and well over 2,000 posts, so i dunno if this will work out too well. if u wanna chat about it or something PM me, cause i dunno if i coming back to this board
SilverDeath
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 26, 2004 10:02
's about time someone made a Machine-Gun-Post-Unfriendly Rule! GO RIVKA!
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: January 28, 2004 06:58
i've been in a roleplay for over 4 hours non-stop, same roleplay, no breaks, and we had like at least 5 people at a time, and well over 2,000 posts,

That's exactly the kind of thing we are trying to prevent with this rule. There is no way that we can properly moderate this forum when members are posting so fast that we cannot keep up with the posts. We also have way too many members to be able to allow that kind of posting frequency.
I'd suggest that a RP done with that many posts in that short of a time is more suited to our RP chat rather that to a forum where a record is kept. Also when you are posting that fast and often - what happens to someone in a different time- zone - or someone that needs to take a night offf? they get so far behind that they'd lose their position.
Thalianost
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 09, 2004 07:19
I'm sure this limit was placed for a good reason. But for me its a little frustrating. I run an rpg pub in non tolkein called the Brandywine Pub. I like to be attentive to my "customers" but with the limit it's not always possible. Oh well, that's my rant. I guess I'll just have to figure out a way to deal with it.
Visit my Etsy Shop: The Tower of Or and Sable
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: February 12, 2004 04:09
A bit of background as to why the limits were set. As moderators, we have run into a big recurring problem with what we started calling ; " Machine-Gun posting", where a member , or a group of members , would start a chain of rapid fire posts that would come so fast that it made it impossible for us to do our jobs properly and in a timely manner.
At one point we had a thread that added over 400 posts in just 2 days. Imagine how long it took us to read all of them. We've made a number of attempts to solve this problem, by locking threads , assessing points against members, and temporary bans, but with the way the site is daily adding new members, the problem kept coming up again and again.
Rivka came up with the idea of limiting the number of times a member could post as a permanent solution to this reoccurring problem, and the results have been great.
With three separate subforums, a member can stilll post up to 21 times ( plus 7 ooc posts) in a 24 hour period.
Most members, especially those that have run into problems with machine-gunners , have found the end result to be a much better environment for everyone.
Caegaraneva
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 14, 2004 03:41
I completely understand why the limits were put into place, but on alot of days i have a ton of time on my hands and i have several characters in different threads, all clamoring for attention. I would strongly suggest you changing th elimit to 10 posts per day, still not nearly enough to machine gun, but giving a little breathing room for those of us who stick to mainly one RPG section and have a lot of stuff going on. I hope you consider this viewpoint and i am sure alot of people agree.
InweSilimaure
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 14, 2004 04:21
I also understand why you mods did this. i don't like it when people machine gun post either. but i also agree with Caegaraneva, i think it would be better to change it to ten posts a day, because i too and on many rpg, which usually don't all have posts on them everyday but at times some people are on at the sme time I am and i would like to post a few more times than i am ususally able to. i usually run short by one or two post at times.
NenyaGold
Legend of Lothlórien & Head Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
on: February 14, 2004 04:24
Caegaraneva, I understand your side of the issue, so let's do some math (grrr... I never did like math... ) :

There are 240+ threads in Totally Tolkien.
Let's say there are an average of 5 posters in each thread. Some have more, some have less, but 5 seems to be the average.
If every poster posted only once in each thread each day, that would be a total of:

240 threads
x 5 people
1,200 posts in just one day in TT

Each person can now post 7 times in a day in a particular Section

240 threads
x 5 people
x 7 postings per person
8,400 posts in one day in TT.

That is a lot of posts for only 3 Mods to keep up with in a day.

If each person were allowed 10 posts in a day in a particular section, that would be

12,000 posts

that the 3 mods would have to review daily. I think you might agree that to review this many posts would be impossible. I also think that this is why Rivka made the limit that she did.

If you have a lot of time on your hands, you might consider writing longer posts or Live RP with others in your threads who also have time. With Live RP, you really get into your characters and it's a lot more fun than just writing by yourself. :love:

I hope this helps. (Geez, that math wasn't so bad after all...)
Caegaraneva
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 15, 2004 06:15
I understand that math, but that is not taking into account that some of those five people in every thread are involved in three or four other threads in the same section. SO not every thread is going to have 35 posts every day because people divide up their posts between different threads. The way you are doing math is accounting for enough people posting so that there are over 1250 people posting EVERY DAY in TT. If that is true then point taken, this could explode your post burden tremendously. Second of all, of those 240 threads alot less than that are active. some havent been posted on for a month or two. So there are a ton less posts than you are accounting for, and even of those that are active they arent all posted on every day, and they certainly arent posted on every day by every character. And not everybody uses all their seven posts each day, so from my point of view it wouldnt hurt too much to have the small part of the RP community that is most involved have an extra 2-3 posts.

Im sorry for being so argumentative and i dont have the actual figures about how many posts are going up each day, so if it really would be way out of control like your math suggests then i get your point andil try to back off now (not sure if il be able to i am EXTREMELY argumentative if you hadnt noticed and my mom is a statistician so i like to argue about statistics in particular) Thanks for considering my point!
Saurid
-Yutaka-
··
Beloved\'s Fighter

Send Message
on: February 16, 2004 01:29
The 7 posts per subforum limit in RPG Forum applies to everyone. To both members AND moderators so there's no way anyone would get more. That's just out of the question.

Second thing. I do understand your point, however take a look at this from the Moderators' point of view for a moment, maybe this will help

NG's math was just a result of an assumption that 5 people post in each of those 240+ threads which is of course not true, but it should tell you something about the amount of posts the RPG Mods have to read daily. Of course it's not thousands of posts that we get to read - but make it even 300 posts per day for a mod. How long do you think it takes to read 300 posts? Remember we're here for fun as well as the members, and it would be a lie to say we don't want to have time for that fun, too.

Consider another thing: there are people who don't visit the CoE daily. Some of them are online only at weekends - for instance - and they are also participating in RPG threads. Believe me I'm an RPer myself - coming back after a few days just to see 20+ posts in a thread I'm in is *not* as much fun as it might seem - it takes a long time to read it. And it's even harder to jump back in.

So all in all, I suggest you do what NG suggested - try writing longer posts, elaborate on things more, and most of all, try live rp. This way, if there's you and one/two other people online at the same time, and you're involved in the same RPG thread, you can get together, write *one* longer post together, and you will post just as much content-wise as if you posted 5+ posts. Believe me, it works.

Good luck, have fun RPing and have a nice day.
Blade_of_Sorrow
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 21, 2004 08:38
Hello , everyone. I am new , this is a very Good site. Is this , a role playing site to. Thank you for your time.
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: February 22, 2004 05:48
This particular forum is for discussion and news about RPing at COE. The actual Rps run in the abovesub-forums.
The seven post rule won't bother most of our membership as they come nowhere near posting that often in a day - but I've lost track of the number of times we've had to warn or actually give a 'strike' to a " machine-gun poster" before the limits were instituted.
Exile_of_Numenor
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 08, 2004 11:24
The Rule has been working so far for me.. I don't have much contraversy, and I think in my thread I'm the one who has posted the most.. well that was my little opinion.. how very little it may be..
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email