Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
Post 3.IV. Treebeard
on: December 04, 2003 03:12
Here we are . Wonderful and marvellous chapter this one!

Here are some topics for discussion:

- Fangorn: how is it compared to the other forests we've encountered (The Old Forest and Lothlórien)?

- Tolkien's view of nature is explicitated again in this chapter (as it has been in some others): is it coherent? This chapter really launches the ecological theme: do you think that is all the march of the Ents is about, or is there some other meaning?

- The character of Treebeard: what is he like? Is he a symbolic character? Does he remind you of any other characters we met before?

- The Ents are probably one of the most magical races in Middle Earth: what do you think of them? How are they compared to Elves, Men and Dwarves? Are there any parallels between Ents and Hobbits?

- Where *have* the Entwives gone?

- We get some more information about Saruman, of whom we know very little. What does this chapter tell us about him?

PbHf's Quote of the Week deals with Fangorn & the Elves and Quickbeam.

[Edited on 31/3/2004 by Figwit]
atalante_star
Scholar of Imladris and Theodens Lady
Send Message
Post RE: 3.IV. Treebeard
on: December 04, 2003 06:00
- Tolkien's view of nature is explicitated again in this chapter (as it has been in some others): is it coherent? This chapter really launches the ecological theme: do you think that is all the march of the Ents is about, or is there some other meaning?
- The Ents are probably one of the most magical races in Middle Earth: what do you think of them? How are they compared to Elves, Men and Dwarves? Are there any parallels between Ents and Hobbits?
- Where *have* the Entwives gone?

Wow - I could go on about this chapter for hours, so here are some initial thoughts, and I'll get back to you later with anything else I think of

Firstly, Entwives, I should point out that there is a thread discussing this in the Book Forum, a link is here. Anyway, all my opinions are in there

Environmentalism

Tolkien has a very individual view of environmentalism. Some things he really had a bee in his bonnet about (like litter), and other things he didn't seem to care less about. I don't personally think he was particularly consistent, but I'm sure he thought he as

The Ents / March of the Ents

"I should say that Ents are composed of philology, literature, and life. They owe their name to their eald enta geweorc of Anglo-Saxon, and their connexion with stone. Their part in the story is due, I think, to my bitter disappointment and disgust from schooldays with the shabby use made in Shakespeare of the coming of "Great Birnam wood to high Dunsinane hill": I longed to devise a setting in which the trees might really march to war. And into this has crept a mere piece of experience, the difference of the 'male' and 'female' attitude to wild things, the difference between unpossessive love and gardening." Letters, #163 (footnote)

That "Great Birnam wood to high Dunsinane hill" quote is from Macbeth, by the way. An essay discussing Tolkien's dislike of all things Shakesperian can be found here in case anyone is interested!

It's interesting to note that in that quote, written in 1955, that there is no mention of countryside versus industry. We know that this was an underlying theme for his life, from his early childhood onwards .....

I would that the March of the Ents is primarily an expression of the countryside "rising up and taking back" land that was once forest but now had been turned to industry. But the Shakespeare influence must also be achknowledged, as must the Ents connection with the warrior-vala Oromë.

What interests me more in this chapter is the Huorns.

You find that some have bad hearts. Nothing to do with their wood: I do not mean that. .... there are some trees in the valleys under the mountains, sound as a bell, and bad right through. That sort of thing seems to spread. There used to be some very dangerous parts in this country. There are still some very black patches."

I do not doubt there is some shadow of the Great Darkness lying there [the Old Forest] still away north; and bad memories are handed down. But there are hollow dales in this land where the Darkness has never been lifted.

So this is not just "good" versus "bad" à la Ents versus Saruman, but actual twisting of purpose within the Ents....

Hey that's funny for all you UK peoples ... ents= conservative party, Saruman = labour party

Figwit
Send Message
on: December 07, 2003 11:47
So this is not just "good" versus "bad" à la Ents versus Saruman, but actual twisting of purpose within the Ents....

Like in people . See, that's why I love Tolkien: pure psychology.

I've always been annoyed by the distinction between Ents and Entwives and their different attitude towards nature. My experience is about the oppostites: it's men who want to keep a garden and build a hedge around it, and women who adore the true wilderness of nature.

See, the difference is that when men go trekking or something they often go fishing, hunting, building bridges whatever: it's often about conquering the wild, controlling nature. Women will go to the sea and lay in the sand and read - but to me that's closer to simply loving wild nature than fishing.
Does that make sense?

Anyway, Huorns. Love 'em. One of the aspects that I love about Tolkien's 'nature' is that it's so very much alive, but it's not 'good' or 'bad'. And it's not neutral either. Which is very different from most mythological or even cultural views of nature: most of the time you get either a 'good' nature (for instance in christianity, where nature is an incarnation of God) or a neutral one (for instance in our culture).
atalante_star
Scholar of Imladris and Theodens Lady
Send Message
on: December 08, 2003 12:32
I've always been annoyed by the distinction between Ents and Entwives and their different attitude towards nature. My experience is about the oppostites: it's men who want to keep a garden and build a hedge around it, and women who adore the true wilderness of nature.

Hey! I agree with you Men seem to like containment and order and imposition of their will on nature, while women are happy to wander barefoot through wildflower meadows.

Anyway, Huorns. Love 'em. One of the aspects that I love about Tolkien's 'nature' is that it's so very much alive, but it's not 'good' or 'bad'. And it's not neutral either. Which is very different from most mythological or even cultural views of nature: most of the time you get either a 'good' nature (for instance in christianity, where nature is an incarnation of God) or a neutral one (for instance in our culture).

Oh yes - you gotta love em I think the best comparison I can think of is the Celtic Green Man / Horned God type deities - nature spirits that can be gentle and kind, but also very spirited and capricious......

Nature is always seen in Tolkien's works as a Presence - and I think that's what we tend to forget in our over-active world of today
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: December 08, 2003 06:24
I love the character of Treebeard, and the ents in general. I see them very much representing nature itself: they're ancient, patient, slow to change - but, when they get aroused and angry, they strike back surprisingly hard.

In a way I also see one theme of this chapter being that, however you try to stay neutral, there may come a time when you have to choose your side and take action, or see everything you love getting destroyed.

About the Ents / Entwives distinction: Although I agree that men are more prone to try to control and arrange things, I'm somehow pleased that, agriculture is seen as an invention of female creatures. After all, it is one of the bases of civilization.

And, reading this chapter, I discovered something new again. Last time I read LOTR was about a year and a half ago; after that, I reread the Silmarillion, which I had almost completely forgotten. On this reading, I really knew what Treebeard is remembering when he sings about the ancient lands that now "lie under the wave", and the song stood out for me in a completely new way.
Figwit
Send Message
on: December 08, 2003 11:14
And, reading this chapter, I discovered something new again. Last time I read LOTR was about a year and a half ago; after that, I reread the Silmarillion, which I had almost completely forgotten. On this reading, I really knew what Treebeard is remembering when he sings about the ancient lands that now "lie under the wave", and the song stood out for me in a completely new way.

I know what you mean: I'm reading the Sil and TTT at the same time right now, and it's so much more fun to draw parallels - that's one of the marvels of Tolkien's work to me: like in a real story or a real texts there's all these references to history and culture and religion that we often overlook.
Aragorn1
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 10, 2006 01:12
What exactly are the Ents? Are they some of the Maiar of Yavanna?
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email