Author Topic:
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
Post ROTK Sequence by Sequence #10: The Battle of the Pelennor Fields
on: May 05, 2004 11:46
Caps can be found here and here.

Points of interest:
- Did you like the Charge of the Rohirrim. Did you cry? (I did!) What did you like most: the cinematography, the music, Théoden's speech, the 'Death!' chant, the charge itself, the reaction of the orcs...?
- Was the battle itself exciting, credible...?
- How did you like the appearance of the Dead on the battlefield?
- Éowyn & the Witch-king: was it all you expected? How did you feel about Théoden's death?
- Pippin finding Merry - how did you like that?

[Edited on 6/5/2004 by Figwit]
the Charge of the Rohirrim
49% (2)
the arrival of the Haradrim army
7% (3)
Éomer taking out a Mûmak
4% (2)
the arrival of the Corsair Ships & the Dead flood the city
2% (1)
Éowyn killing the Witch-King
11% (5)
Legolas taking out a Mûmak
7% (3)
the death of Théoden
7% (3)
realising the Dead from their Oath
0% (0)
Pippin finds Merry
11% (5)
none of it
2% (1)
cbhalstead
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: ROTK Sequence by Sequence #10: The Battle of the Pelennor Fields
on: May 06, 2004 04:01
OOH, tough one!! If your wanting cry factor, then I choose Pippin finding Merry and Theoden's death. :sob: If you are wanting cheer factor then I would have to choose Eowyn killing the Witch King and the ships. :disco: I cried and cheered with the Charge of the Rohirrim and also with Theoden's speech. :sob: The battle itself was too fast paced for me, I would have liked to have seen more in a slower fashion, but above all it was very exciting and credible. I couldn't have asked for a better battle sequence. The dead on the battlefield was so amazing. The special effects were awesome. I love how they devour everything evil in their paths. Above all this is one of my favorite sequences in the entire trilogy. :cheers:
Luthien_Telperien
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 06, 2004 04:21
- Did you like the Charge of the Rohirrim. Did you cry? What did you like most: the cinematography, the music, Théoden's speech, the 'Death!' chant, the charge itself, the reaction of the orcs...?

Yes to all of the above! I'd have to say the music and the sweepingness (bad word) of the scene. I do wish I could have heard them *singing* into battle, though. But I'm sure that audiences who hadn't read the book wouldn't get that one. And it might not be so frightening on film as in the book, where it's really blood-chilling.

Not sure yet, to tell the truth.

I didn't. I don't care for their greenness in general, and I thought the sweep up Minis Tirith was too cartoonish.

- Éowyn & the Witch-king: was it all you expected? How did you feel about Théoden's death?

Eowyn was wonderful and more. I've said this before, but one of my proudest moments as a mother was to watch that scene in the cinema with my then-6-year-old daughter, who hadn't finished the book at the time.

I was disappointed in Theoden's death in that it's so very moving in the book that he *doesn't* know about Eowyn. Perhaps it wouldn't have worked on film. My daughter (now 7 and now having finished the books) confirms that she likes the books better in this bit too.

It was beautiful. I cried. (Though maybe I hadn't stopped crying yet either ...)
drunken_elf
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 06, 2004 08:33
Ah..one of my fave sequences of ROTK, and in fact of the trilogy. Favourite part? Impossible to say.

The ride of the Rohirrim was incredible. I cried, I got shivers (especially in "Death!"), I cheered...I absolutely loved Theoden here in this sequence - he almost became one of my favourite characters! The way he rode down and "clanged" spears with everyone was amazing. The music was extremely beautiful.

The battle was great. Loved the mumakil and the Haradrim, though would like to see some Easterlings in the EE (because they look like they would fight in a cool way ).

Didn't mind the dead there. A nice little change.

Eowyn and the Witchking - all I can say is that every girl/woman I talked to felt very empowered after that scene . Miranda Otto is incredible.

Theoden's death - lots and lots of tears.:sob: Again, Miranda was excellent, as was Theoden. I particularly love the lines:
"No..I am going to save you."
"You already did." :sob:

Pippin finding Merry was again full of :sob:. It was beautiful, especially to hear Pip say "I'm going to look after you." when Merry has always sort of been looking after him. One of my favourite moments for the pair. (but then any moment of them is a favourite moment )

All in all......lots and lots of tears, but I love this sequence to death!
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
on: May 07, 2004 01:52
This was indeed a teary sequence, but it's one of my favorites, and it certainly has my favourite moment: the Charge of the Rohirrim. I can't really say what I liked best, just the mere appearance of those horses on the horizon made my heart beat faster (after stopping, first) and brought tears to my eyes.

I personally felt PJ cut off the arms of legs of the Rohirrim in TTT: he made Éomer disappear, drastically altered Théoden's character, replaced Háma by Gamling, did something odd to Éowyn, added Elves at Helm's Deep... I was very disappointed about that.

But the Charge of the Rohirrim makes up for a lot. Not all, but a lot. The technical aspects of this scene are baffling: the camera points, the movements, the horses, the music and the lighting & grading... perfect.
But what baffled me most was Bernard Hill's perfect delivery of Théoden's speech: he had me choked by the time he says 'A sword day! A red day!' The other 5 times I said the words along but my voice just failed me, it's most impressive to be swept of your feet by the same scene 6 times, even when you're completely not in the mood.

I also adored the 'Death!' chant, it was astonishing. Éowyn was portrayed very accurately there, shouting along, going along with the tide but still not quite grasping what's really happening there.

The battle itself, was... well, I'm not such a battle freak, so after one time I'd about seen it. I liked the Oliphaunts, and I really like the way Théoden makes his riders regroup and charge those huge beasts - but I'm not one for action scenes, so well... bwah.

I did miss Théoden taking out the chieftain, that would have been a nice touch. As for Éomer's Mûmak, it was cool, but I could have done without it.

I have mixed feelings about the Dead in general. They're sort of green.
I prefer the book, a lot, to the extent that I find (as a bookie) those fluorescent guys jumping on top of a Mûmak very very very annoying.
But as a movie goer I enjoyed it: the shot of those green riders crossing the water, said Mûmak episode... They shouldn't have been there, though.

Éowyn and the Witch-king, again, double feelings: she was too heroic (all throughout the movie, the psychological dimension of her character is lost, for me), but the fellbeast was sooooo sweet and I liked the Witch-king. Her much debated 'I am no man' is about the only thing that felt Tolkien to me: she takes proud in it, she faces glory. This is what she was looking for.

Théoden's death, again, mixed feelings. I did cry, and I did love the way he says 'I know your face Éowyn', but on the other hand I feel he shouldn't have known it was her. The greatest act is the one that brings you no reknown. It should have stayed that way.

And the Merry & Pippin scene was just beautiful, I cried my eyes out there. So sweet.

One last comment: Legolas & the Oliphaunt. Tripple yikes: yikes crappy sfx, yikes Legolas, yikes screaming fangirls. Or to quote my favourite comedic duo: 'Take it away boooooo'
astra_celestine
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 07, 2004 06:08
I chose the Legolas - Mumakil - scene, because it is obviously over the top, showing PJ´s sense of humour.

I also like Theoden´s speech and Pippin finding Merry.

When the Army of the Dead arrives, the best moment is the Orcs´ surprise to see Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas. Aragorn is very cute in that scene. :love:
LinweSingollo
Movies & Casting Mod, Resident Hobbit & Frodo's Footstool
Send Message
on: May 07, 2004 03:01
Charge of the Rohirrim - this is one of the best scenes in the entire trilogy. And, yes, I cried. With my heart in my throat. Theoden's speech was perfect, clashing of the swords, the thundering horses, the music...I can't pick one favorite part here. It was all perfect.

the Battle - loved the oliphaunts and the look on Theoden's face when he saw them. I was expecting more men, though, like those arriving from other parts of Gondor to help out, maybe?

Appearance of the Dead - I wish they'd been just a little less green. I prefer the book version; they shouldn't have been at the Pelennor Fields; though I agree with Figwit, I liked watching them sweep over the water. They made the ending of the battle seem too easy, kind of taking something away from the men that fought (and died).

Eowyn and Witchking - I cheered when she whipped off her helmet and said "I am no man!" I didn't think she was too heroic. The helm of the Witchking was great and love those fell beasts.

Theoden's death - I'd rather he hadn't known Eowyn was there as in the book; though, I found myself very moved by this scene in the theatre.

Pippin finding Merry - very very sweet. loved it.
"To the Hobbits. May they outlast the Sarumans and see spring again in the trees." J.R.R. Tolkien
Nyérëven
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 07, 2004 05:50
- Did you like the Charge of the Rohirrim. Did you cry?

I wouldn't say I exactly cried. However this scene is one of my favourites. Each componant (music, scene, words,) adds so much to the scene, and the result is breathtaking! *thumbs up*

What did you like most: the cinematography, the music, Théoden's speech, the 'Death!' chant, the charge itself, the reaction of the orcs...?

I can't choose just one. As I said above, each detail adds so much to the scene, it wouldn't be complete without any of it!

I thought it was protrayed very well, up until the end. It seemed to show the dirty, harsh reality or battle and death, not just the glory of battle and conquest. However as Linwe already said, the dead army just wasn't right and DID come across too easy.

At first, it was stunning, when they first swept across. However as the scene progressed, I began to dislike it. Like Linwe said, they made the battle look too easy!

*cries* Theoden's death was so sad. I really didn't have a problem with him seeing Eowyn there, although I did wish he had gotten to see Eomer and pass along the kingship and command as he had done in the book. Eowyn and the WitchKing- I thought this was very well done. I was so afraid that they would turn Eowyn into some XWP, and was very pleased with the end result. She didn't seem so perfect and fearless. You could see the fear in her eyes as would be only natural. However she had that determination and you could see that although she felt fear, she would do what she had to do. I think this was portrayed well and kept her from being one of thsoe obnoxious mary-sue types!

So sweet!! The little hobbitses finally met again.

And a final note!

As Figwit said, BOOOO to the Leggy/Olyphaunt scene! That was so cheesy, overdone, unrealistic, and pointless! Just another fangirl scene that made me want to gag!
Celebroch
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 07, 2004 08:47
I cried over the Charge of the Rohirrim. My heart was in my throat all through it. I also cried over the Rohirrim in TTT... something about the horses and horsemen going into battle gives me the shivers. It was my favorite part of the movie

~--^
drunken_elf
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 08, 2004 12:08
I forgot to comment earlier on Legolas and the Mumakil, and I just had to, because it was just so much fun. I was laughing all through it, and on the first showing it got a rather large cheer from all of us geeks . So what if maybe it was a bit over the top? It was great fun to watch anyway. Loved the little sliding down the trunk at the end too .

BUT, I always find it somewhat unfair that Eomer gets little/no attention for single handedly (literally) taking out not one, but two mumakil! It just seems somewhat unjust...*mutters*
snowystingray
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 08, 2004 05:28
I remember when TTT came out and people were having mixed feelings about the film due to the changes PJ made to the story. I also remember thinking that, even if you felt that the changes were for the worst, you had to admit that the Battle of Helm's Deep was one of the best battle sequences ever committed to film.

Well, PJ sure outdid himself, because the Battle of Pelennor Fields is about ten times better than the Battle of Helm's Deep. I get shivers every time I see that shot of the Rohirrim lined up on the horizon. Theoden's speech, the chanting of "Death!", the charge on the Orcs... It is, to quote Mary Poppins, practically perfect in every way. In fact, I have almost nothing to complain about in this entire sequence. I did enjoy Legolas's over-the-top kill (but mostly because of Gimli's response, which is of course priceless). Eowyn killing the witch king is great, although the image of the headless fell beast twitching in the background is always slightly off-putting (but it does fit the scene, so I'm not complaining). Theoden's death makes me cry every single time I've seen it, and Merry and Pippin's reunion makes my inner hobbit lover go "Squee!" All in all, it is a most excellent sequence.
Eruantalincë
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 10, 2004 01:50
First of all, I liked the sequence. It was huge, it was overwhelming. It was emotional.

Points of interest:
- Did you like the Charge of the Rohirrim. Did you cry? (I did!) What did you like most: the cinematography, the music, Théoden's speech, the 'Death!' chant, the charge itself, the reaction of the orcs...?
I did not cry, though I felt very much like I wanted to fight along with them. The speech, the chant... it seemed all perfect to me and I really had something like "Go Merry" when he started to chant along.
I would not know. I don't know anything about horses and how they would react in situations like this. I just liked it. Those faces of the orcs when they noticed that the Rohirrim would not stop... great.
To be honest, I thought of it like a huge fluorescent green blanket spreading out over the battlefield. In my vision, it would be more like "man-to-dead-man" fight, but hey, that is my opinion. Still I have the feeling that this could have done better. But it was not too bad.
I liked it. Not an everlasting fight, but short and clear. I liked the line "I am no man" with that face, a mix of fear and stubborness. The scene of Theoden's death broke my heart a little.
Great, great, great. The friendship, the brotherhood, the connection... the line "I am here to look after you" (or something like that)... it was so sweet.
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 03, 2004 04:40
I loved the charge of the Rohirrim, the death chant, my Theo's speech all of it was wonderful..I cried,
the battle was cool, a little to fast passsed, as i think someone alreday said.
I didn't like the way they looked, to green, LOL even though green is my fav color.
I LOVED Eowyn and the witch king. though after she stabbed him he sounded like a baloon that was de flating LOL I alos wish PJ had used the exact words that Eowyn used in the book, I love that part.

:sob: now on the my dear Theoden's death. I liked it in both the book and the movie. Part of me wishes that he hadn't know it was Eowyn and done it like in the book. and part of me loved that he knew it was Eowyn, cause I love the whole father/daughter relationship thing they had. I thought the scene was great as it was.. very moving. I cry everytime I see it. especial;y at. "no..I'm going to save you."
"You already did," thats a tear jerker well the whole thing is.. I LOVE that scene and the way she just strokes his hair and then crys all over him. Ok I'm gonna make myself cry noe/ Oh! also i would have liked for the dieing Theoden to proclaim Eomer as the next king and his heir that would have been a great addition...but alas. Maybe it will be in the EE.

aw, another tear jerking moment. the whole. "I'm going to look after you." part was very moving. I cried..but not as much as the eowyn and Theoden moment.

Sassafras
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 03, 2004 11:03
I voted for Legolas because he's my favorite character. But I love pretty much everything about the Pelennor Fields sequence.

I cried when the Rohirrim charged (especially the aerial shot of them plowing through the orcs), when Theoden died and Eowyn cried, when Pippin found Merry. Such sad scenes.

I thought the battle was really cool. I wish there had been more fighting scenes. Maybe in the EE.

I love the part when the Mumakil are coming and you can hear the Mumakil riders (Haradrim?) chanting. Very cool.

Eomer killing a Mumakil rider, Eowyn slicing the legs of an Oliphaunt and Legolas taking on a Mumakil are all very cool. Love those parts.

Eowyn and the Witch King is a great scene. I love when she cuts off the fell beast's head and when she says "I am no man!". I just have to cheer every time.

I too wish the dead army hadn't been so green and would've liked to have seen actual fighting between them and the orcs. Maybe that will be in the EE.

The battle of Pelennor Fields was one of the parts I was most looking forward to seeing in the movie. It's one of my favorite parts. PJ (and all involved) did an awesome job over-all.
Foggy
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 04, 2004 04:00

Yes, havent cried in a movie since I was 5, Do I have to decide??

Yes and mostly....

Pretty good though I thought it looked so.......well...not good when you look at all the other affects they managed to pull of so very well.....

I loved Eowyn and the Witch-king, poor Theoden

So sweet
WitchQueenofAngmar
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 13, 2007 11:01

Oh my god. Do not even get me started on this one. This has got to be the best...well, I'm not going to call it a "pep talk", this is much more than that...it's a leader trying to cheer on his forces and make them ready to fight. Basically, it's the ME version of, "Come on, let's kick some butt!" only much much more powerful and moving. Music was great too - I love the Rohirrim theme. I hum it all the time. And them screaming "Death!" was TOTALLY AWESOME. So I give this a 10/10. Yays!

Oh YEAH. Great battle. I love how when the Rohirrim clean out the Orcs and they all gather together and go "YEAH!!"
And then, of course, Theoden notices these huge mammoth things on the horizon, and has an expression on his face that's just incredible: it's "Ooooohh damn" and then it's "Okay, we're really going to die, but I'm resigned to my fate". However, I didn't like the way the battle was so frenzied and fast. You couldn't make out seperate movements at all.
But the mumakul were awesome.
And so was the music.
So, 9.5/10.

Meh. 'Twas okay. But they didn't have too much of a role in the battle...you see them in their fluorescent greeniness killing stuff, but you don't really...well...I don't know. 8/10.

HOLY GOD.

GO ÉOWYN! I loved that scene! It was so cool watching her protecting her uncle and all. 10/10!!

Yay! That was SO sweet. Awww...10/10!!

(mod note: some vulgarities have been edited out)

[Edited on 15/6/2007 by LinweSingollo]

[Edited on 12/7/2007 by WitchQueenofAngmar]
cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
on: June 13, 2007 09:28
It has to be the Rohirrim for me, from the moment they appear over the hill to the moment Theoden says "Eowyn" and lies still. The actual charge, though, completely takes the biscuit. It is brilliantly cut ... fast and furious as the charge itself, but in a way that never seems bitty and chopped up. Even on my 19in. computer screen I feel I'm right in there with them. Awesome stuff.
Rulea
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 17, 2007 07:28
I love the charge of the Rohirrim! Best part of the movie!
Michaela
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 18, 2007 04:57
I love the Battle of the Pelennor. I voted for Eowyn and the Witch-king, because I've always liked the way that was done.

But my second choices would have to have been Pippin finding Merry (almost made me cry, what a sweet scene) and the charge of the Rohirrim. Theoden's speech is brilliant.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email