Register

Author Topic:
~Celebwen~of~Ithilien~
Altariel's Sky Painter
Send Message
Post RE: Finland?
on: January 07, 2006 04:44
[b]Happy Belated New Year![.b] :hug:

I celebrated Christmas on the 24th solely; the next day we went on holiday, where I still am! I got some very good books, including one about Maria Magdalena by Marianne Fredriksson. :love:

Anyway, I hope all of you that have or had their holidays had a great time. :hug: :hug: :hug: For the people without a holiday.

AinarielPalantir
Maiden of Nienna and Éomer`s Loyal Puppy
Send Message
on: January 12, 2006 11:02
Oh, I'm so mad at the finnish weather again

It's a suicide to go outside and I should do it twice a day with my dogs. Fortunately Vili isn't around anymore because he had bad shoulders and this kind of slippery weather was so hard to him... Those younger dogs don't seem to care so much.

I so wish this won't last long and that we don't get more of this in the future...
~figwit~
Daydreamer of Ekkaia
Send Message
on: January 14, 2006 03:58
You too AP?
It was a suicide going out of the door here as well. I have to walk 1 km to get to the busstop, and the road that leads there was like glass, totally smooth and blank with no sand at all. And there's two huge climbs as well, imagine going down of one...
Our old neighbour actually fell so badly on the road that he had to go to the hospital. It wasn't too serious, but he had to stay there a few days all the same. Luckily they sanded the road yeasterday! *phew*

You know what AP? When our dog got puppies we named one of them Vili! :love:
AinarielPalantir
Send Message
on: January 14, 2006 04:38
Awww! What kind of dog you have/had? I have shetland sheepdogs :love: Vili was my first dog and he was 13½ when he died two years ago.
~figwit~
Daydreamer of Ekkaia
Send Message
on: January 15, 2006 01:58
We have a "sekarotu" dog (dunno what it's named in English..). Her name's Ida and she's half "Suomalainen ajokoira" and half "Norjalainen hirvikoira". That sounded.. weird!
She turns 12 in March, so she's an old lady already. But still so adorable! :love: She got 6 puppies when she was about 1 year old, but we sold them all
kerstin
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 19, 2006 09:23
Hi! I´m also finn
so heippa kaikille
did anyone notice how cold it was today?
fogriipus
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 19, 2006 09:46
Hi kerstin! And welcome to CoE

Yep, it was, it's -25'C in Oulu now but because of wind it feels even colder! Has it been cold everywhere in the country? Aw, those of you who have dogs have to go out also with them twice a day... *wraps up tighter in the blanket*
AinarielPalantir
Send Message
on: January 19, 2006 09:51
Welcome kerstin! :wave:

Well, it was -30 this morning in Jyväskylä... Nice

And I sure have to go out with my dogs and they aren't very cold otherwise but their paws get cold. And because of that we can't be out very long at one time so I we have to make a walk three times a day. Nice
kerstin
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 19, 2006 10:02
-30??
it was only -20 in helsinki and THAT was cold to me..
~figwit~
Daydreamer of Ekkaia
Send Message
on: January 20, 2006 05:40

Yes, it's been cold here in Espoo as well! Yeasterday was coldest i think, -25 where we live. And I had to wait 20 minutes outside for my buss.. but I'm not complaining! I love this cind of weather! :love: as long as it's not too cold....

Oh, forgot to tell. We're going to Ylläs on the winter sport holidays, rented a cabin there last week! It's going to be so much fun, I love skiing! :heart: It will be so cool going there, and to watch the Olympics as well... :love:

btw kerstin, you don't happen to speak Swedish? Just thought of it, because of your name. It's a swedish name and maybe it happens to be your real name as well..?
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: January 20, 2006 07:51
Hey, another Finn! Welcome, Kerstin! :cheers:

True, on days like this, one doesn't want to go much outside. But, it isn't that bad if there's no wind - it's the wind that makes it feel so cold.
kerstin
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 20, 2006 10:14

Yes, it's been cold here in Espoo as well! Yeasterday was coldest i think, -25 where we live. And I had to wait 20 minutes outside for my buss.. but I'm not complaining! I love this cind of weather! :love: as long as it's not too cold....

Oh, forgot to tell. We're going to Ylläs on the winter sport holidays, rented a cabin there last week! It's going to be so much fun, I love skiing! :heart: It will be so cool going there, and to watch the Olympics as well... :love:

btw kerstin, you don't happen to speak Swedish? Just thought of it, because of your name. It's a swedish name and maybe it happens to be your real name as well..?

hi! waiting the buss outside is also my favourite thing, or not . I don´t have winter sport holidays, so I´m going to stay att helsinki and study
do I happen to speak swedish? well, little bitt, but only because we have to study it att school. my name (kerstin) is swedish version of my real name. my friend who speaks swedish gave it to me, and everybody has been calling me that couple years, so.. that´s the story of my name :love:
~figwit~
Daydreamer of Ekkaia
Send Message
on: January 21, 2006 07:00
Mhm, my favourite hobby too!
It's a shame you don't have winter holidays they're always so much fun!

Oh, so you don't speak swedish Really nice story with you're name though! I'm Finlandsvensk myself, so I just started wondering!
fogriipus
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 21, 2006 12:47
I'm so happy I have only about 300 meters to my school.

Anyone waiting for LOST starting next Thursday? Probably in other case I wouldn't be, but hey, there's Dom... I was happy when I realized yesterday that I didn't miss the supposedly important first episode this week, because it will start not until next week... :rolleyes:

[Edited on 22/1/2006 by fogriipus]
AinarielPalantir
Send Message
on: January 21, 2006 02:14
I also thought LOST starts this week! And I'm really looking forward to it. It better be good so that I can get very very addicted to it
~figwit~
Daydreamer of Ekkaia
Send Message
on: January 22, 2006 01:20
*lol* I'm really looking forward to LOST as well, everyone just keeps telling me it's the best and so on, so i have quite high expectations My family didn't know anything about LOST when they first saw the commercials, but I've been so excited that now everyone's going to watch it, including my dad
~figwit~
Daydreamer of Ekkaia
Send Message
on: January 26, 2006 06:06
Fourth week of the month, fourth day of the week, LOST 21:00 pm. Coincidence? (Sorry, couldn't resist!)

Can't wait!! :disco:
fogriipus
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 26, 2006 08:12
Oh I love all the snowing again! :love:

Heehee, I knew someone would be posting about LOST here!

Then, I actually had something to ask - does any of you know is it possible to get HoME series anywhere in Finland? I don't have a credit card to buy them from a bookshop on Internet

Okay, now I'll just take a quick sauna before that 21:00pm...
kerstin
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 26, 2006 10:34
Then, I actually had something to ask - does any of you know is it possible to get HoME series anywhere in Finland? I don't have a credit card to buy them from a bookshop on Internet

Some bookshop does sell those books actually. I bought my HoME series from akateeminen kirjakauppa in helsinki. and some shop does order those to the shop, if they don´t have those. You can try to look from the internet does your closest shop sell those series, or you can go to the shop and ask. Good luck for searching and inform if you find those books

oh, almost forget. LOST was goooood. I´m going to watch it next week also and that Dom is in it, makes it even better show :love:

~figwit~
Daydreamer of Ekkaia
Send Message
on: January 28, 2006 04:24
Of course someone would post, Fog

I don't know anyhting about the HoME series in bookstors (haven't looked for them myself). But Akateeminen Kirjakauppa and Suomalainen Kirjakauppa should have them.. They're quite popular, so I'd be surprised if they weren't there!

I think LOST was excellent! :disco: It really was intriguing, and I can't wait for the next episode! It's funny, there's been one episode, and I already feel that I'm hooked to that program!
fogriipus
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 28, 2006 11:38
Thanks guys, I didn't find HoME books in the bookstores near me but I found some Finnish bookstores on the Net from which I can order them and pay otherwise than credit card.

Kerstin, do you have Complete History of ME (one book) or many books? I found this one massive book, books containing volumes 1-5, 6-9 or 10-12 and some single volumes. I guess the best format to read them would be single volumes, the cheapest way to buy them in all would be as one book, but financially the best way to buy them would be as three books... You know, the Complete book costs as much as my part of the monthly lease of the apartment I live in

Oh and about LOST, very exciting... Can't be bad if Dom's line is "Look, the ring -- second tour of Finland."
~figwit~
Daydreamer of Ekkaia
Send Message
on: January 28, 2006 12:11
*lol* That line made my day! :disco:

Good you found a way to order them after all, fog!
kerstin
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 29, 2006 03:04
Thanks guys, I didn't find HoME books in the bookstores near me but I found some Finnish bookstores on the Net from which I can order them and pay otherwise than credit card.

Kerstin, do you have Complete History of ME (one book) or many books? I found this one massive book, books containing volumes 1-5, 6-9 or 10-12 and some single volumes. I guess the best format to read them would be single volumes, the cheapest way to buy them in all would be as one book, but financially the best way to buy them would be as three books... You know, the Complete book costs as much as my part of the monthly lease of the apartment I live in

Oh and about LOST, very exciting... Can't be bad if Dom's line is "Look, the ring -- second tour of Finland."

good that you did find those books and other way paying them than credit card.

my HoME? well, I don´t yett have all the book (I´m still missing about 2-3 books. damn. You are right that single books cost s much. where did you find those books containig several volumes? I haven´t never seen one of those and now I´m curious.. very curious....

Oh, that line was my favourite and I was jumping around my room yelling something like: "he mentioned Finland! YES!!! he´s the best" or something like that. It´s good that I´m living alone so nobody didn´t see me doing that...

[Edited on 29/1/2006 by kerstin]
~figwit~
Daydreamer of Ekkaia
Send Message
on: January 29, 2006 08:36
Hmm... I wonder who's gonna be president after tonight? The points are still on Halonen, but they're dropping all the time.. Guess, we'll see in half an hour or so!
fogriipus
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 01, 2006 02:24
Yep, we have a president.

I searched for the books on www.hintatutka.com. (Great site for searching bookstores online and comparing prices.) You'll find the complete book writing "complete history of middle-earth" and some others trying "history of middle-earth" and more just "middle-earth" in the search field.

[Edited on 1/2/2006 by fogriipus]
AinarielPalantir
Send Message
on: February 26, 2006 05:26
Well. Did you watch the Olympics?

Didn't go quite as planned for the finns... Of course silver medals are good but winning is always winning. Especially when many of the silver medalists actually "should" have won, based on their performances during the season.

And of course loosing to Sweden in ice-hockey seals the pain :rolleyes:
~figwit~
Daydreamer of Ekkaia
Send Message
on: February 26, 2006 01:08
Yeah, watched as much as I could, which basically means the whole afternoon and evening for two weeks

Didn't go as planned at all, no... 6 silver medals, 3 bronze.. I can't say that's bad, but we should've one at least 4 golds... *sigh*

And the hockey match today... We really would've deserved to win, we were the best team in the whole tournament.. But, the swede's luck paid of once again... They're really the "Hannu Hanhi" of the sport world.. Why is it always them who gets all the luck?

Going to watch the medal celebrations though. They start in about 10 minutes. Hope there's people around to welcome and cheer for the team. I just feel so sorry for them, and i can't even imagine how they feel, when they won all other games but lose in the finals.. :sob:
fogriipus
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 27, 2006 07:35
Yep, I watched the olympics as much as I could, too. Even so that I spent the free time which I would have been hanging around here waching them. It has felt oddly empty today...

It was a surprise indeed that we didn't get a single gold medal. But I'm happy, especially for those like the curling team and ice-hockey team from who no-one expected anything big before the olympics...

Aww, the men's ice-hockey team. They really would have deserved the gold! But luck played a big role in finals again... and against Sweden... yeah, they really are the "Hannu Hanhi" (I checked, it's Gladstone Gander) of sports! I repeated it many times yesterday.

By the way, tentative information from YLE says that there were over 2,4 million of us watching the finals in Finland. So, it's almost half of us (5,3 million).

I watched the medal celebrations last night, too... Fortunately there were so many people! Oh, how I'd like to see the ice-hockey team in the flesh! But they'll never come this north, even to play... I guess they were quite surprised that people celebrated even the silver so much. Maybe they'll understand by it that we like them even they didn't win. They played so well anyway!

Didn't the rest of the olympic team come home today? I hope other medalists get adequate celebrations, too.
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: February 27, 2006 08:14
We had the TV on when we were at home, but for most of the time, we found something better to do. We were on vacation, and spent a couple of days in Club Caribia in Turku, really treating ourselves. Yesterday, I went skiing for the first time in years, and well, found a couple of forgotten muscles... But, it was fun, with a good track and great weather. Today, I had to return to work, but my brain sure was still having a holiday.
Meldaerin
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 01, 2006 10:46
Hey all! I am not Finnish in the slightest, but I really like Varttina! Didn't they help with the music for the stage version of Lord of the Rings?
kerstin
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 02, 2006 04:53
hi
I actually had to watch the olympics, because my father wanted see the games and everything. But the ice-hockey final I really wanted to see, especially because it was Finland vs. sweden... and our team should have won the gold because they playd great games and they did everything to win the game (even lose some tooths) you know of whom I am talking about

And the värttinä thing... I think I have heard something like that too in news a while ago (ok, long time ago) that värttinä would be doing something that included lotr and music, but I don´t remember anything else (wasn´t I a great help )

but have to go to study... still got 4-5 books to read for next week...
Eleneán
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 07, 2006 10:48
Hei kaikki ihanat suomalaiset! Miksi te puhutte englantia ettekä suomea? En oikein ymmärrä anteeksi vain. Vai sanotaanko jossain että on pakko puhua englantia?...No kuitenkin...Siis olen minäkin SUOMESTA!!! :heart:
fogriipus
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: April 08, 2006 02:17
Hei Eleneán! Yay, another Finn! Welcome to CoE

We should speak English here because everyone (and not least the mods of this forum) should be able to read these posts
It's the language used in this community.

Which part of Finland are you from?

[Edited on 8/4/2006 by fogriipus]
~figwit~
Daydreamer of Ekkaia
Send Message
on: April 12, 2006 06:38
Yay! Some action in here! Though I'm a few days too late, but...

Welcome Eleneán :wave: As fog already said, the language of this site is English, and everyone should be able to read every post

Have you noticed the weather lately? Yesterday was wonderful, the first time in about 2 weeks that we saw the sun! :disco: I can't describe the feeling, but i'll bet you all feel the same way
kerstin
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 17, 2006 02:01
hi

oh, and welcome to CoE Eleneán :hug:

I have noticed the odd light thing outside I have even heard off rumors that it is called "sun" but I´m not sure :twitch: but whatever it is called, I have spend these couple days outside enjoying the weather.

I will go now outside and help the summer by eating snow, so see you later again :love:
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email