Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Council Member
Send Message
Post Calligraphy
on: July 18, 2004 06:14
I searched through this forum and could find drawing, writing, music, party ideas and a whole bunch of other things, but I could not find a thread on calligraphy. After reading the forum rules, I am pretty sure that it belongs here, but if you'd like to move it/delete it because it doesn't, it is fine with me.

I'm a fairly new calligraphy student, but really love it. (For those of you who may not know what calligraphy is, it is the art of fancy writing, basically. The tengwar runes in LOTR are similar to a style that does exist.) I've only done it for about a year, and I practice a lot, but I'm still not very good. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions about how to improve.

~Elizabeth
Goldsand
Mystic of Ithilien
Send Message
Post RE: Calligraphy
on: July 18, 2004 09:11
A very good topic silvan_elf_princess, and thanks for checking (I know it took some time to do this).

Calligraphy is something I've always wanted to try, but just haven't set aside the time to do so yet.

Here is an interesting webpage on the inscriptions found in the movie trilogy.

[Edited on 7/19/2004 by Goldsand]
Eruvyreth_Himiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 20, 2004 09:48
i think the best thing to do is to not let your head get in the way when doing calligraphy. keep it natural, everyone has a slightly different style, don't labour over it.
Ithileth
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 30, 2004 06:41
I do some calligraphy and i love it! Now I'm not saying that I am good just that I think it's fun, way to go!
Now, this is probably the lameist advice you will get but it works, and it helps. Go to the library. They have books that tell how to use gold stenciling, the best pens, inks, and erasers. I am not claiming to be a pro but it is something I like to do and thats where I get my information. And believe me there is a lot of it!
glory2glorfindel
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 05, 2004 10:30
No, I shall beat thee on Lame-ness of advice! *snicker* just work on it. get a nice note pad, doesn't have to be fancy paper, maybe slightly heavier but it doesn't have to be fancy. I generally use pages from a "Ideal for Markers, Crayons, and (anything else a kid younger than eight uses)" sketchpad. If you tear it out, I've found it easier to write on something very slightly soft, like a section of a newspaper or a magazine. Then just work on it. Do a page of the alphabet in one or two styles, then ask someone else what you're doing wrong. Sometimes it's not obvious to you, but will be to someone else... like if you're off kilter, if you tilt the letters wrong, if you make some shorter or longer or taller than the others. Then do another page, same styles, working on what you got wrong last time. Circle what you think of as the best ones in pencil, ask someone else to do the same (without you looking over their shoulder!) Work on it until you can get your "best circle" around the same ones your friend chooses (and tell them to really critique it, compare it to a professionally done sheet or something). Choose another friend, lather, and repeat.... um.. No, I mean, Choose another friend and repeat. Sooner or later you'll get to something most people agree is a good interpretation of that alphabet.... then you get to start words! *evil smile* :evil:
Nyérëven
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 17, 2004 09:45
Ooh Calligraphy! I've wanted to learn that for a while now (about 2 years) but I can't find anything around where I live, that offers a class or course...
Ono
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 09, 2004 11:10
I love calligraphy. When I was in elementary school, we took a week of it every year. I'm not that great at it, but I still love doing it. I've written a few Elvish poems out in it.

[Edited on 9/9/2004 by Ono]

(Every year but grades 1 through 3, that is.)

[Edited on 9/9/2004 by Ono]
LadyGrey
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 21, 2004 04:32
I love calligraphy! I like to use graph paper to help make sure that my spacing and my letters are all the same hight. I also have this little card that came with a calligraphy set I got at a craft store that you can put behind blank paper. It has different widths of lines on it so that your letters all end up the same. As for the angle of the letter, and things like that... it just takes practice. I actually enjoy using a dip pen or feather pen and ink. It gives the letters a rustic look. Put down plenty of newspaper though in case there's a spill.

Tangwar look especially lovely in calligraphy.

I have found that you can usually buy starter kits at most craft stores for not very much.

Hope that helps...
LadyGray
luthienkenobi
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 23, 2004 05:25
I am taking Calligraphy right now! It is a good way to relax and it's really fun.
Lurearanel
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 05, 2004 06:02
I love writing in calligraphy. LadyGrey has some good advice. I also have used grid paper, in addition you may use a lit board behind to luminate the surface with the grid paper under your calligraphy paper. This makes it even easier...and there are no lines to erase or anything... Good topic!
Child_of_Lúthien
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 03, 2004 08:52
Writing in Calligraphy is so much fun. I did it for about three months in an art class I took in High School. I also got a Calligrapy writing kit for my 11th birthday, so I've been kinda going back and forth with it for several years. I was surprised at how easy it was to catch on to. All the advice I can say is practice. With practice, you'll get better.
pv
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 17, 2004 08:07
Great topic! My favourite calligraphy tools are dip pens, used with gouache... I use a different colour every time I refill the reservoir on the nib, and the lettering changes colour as I write!
http://monstersandcritics.wordpress.com/
Child_of_Lúthien
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 03, 2005 09:40
wow, pv, that is actually quite a clever idea. I went shopping at Michaels for a calligraphy pen and I saw the ones you are talking about. Those are what I used to write with, but while at Michaels I saw a pen that you put the ink cartridge into. It came with black, blue and red ink cartridges. I'm not sure yet if one is better than the other because I don't have much time to write with it, but it seems to be very similar to writing with a dipping pen, only there is no dipping.
pv
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 05, 2005 04:54
That's a great idea, Child_of_Lúthien. I've never tried changing cartridge colours before! I use Brause dip pens with Windsor & Newton gouache. I mix the paint on a palette to the consistency of cream and use a paintbrush to fill the paint into the little reservoir on the nib. All very painstaking and messy! Your idea sounds neater - I must try it!

NamikoIolana
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 13, 2005 12:56
Any tips for a new left-handed calligrapher?
pv
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 14, 2005 07:34
There are special slant-tipped nibs for left-handed calligraphers. Do you use those? I believe they are more comfortable for left-handers to use than the regular nibs. They're for writing styles in which you hold the pen at an angle. (Like italic writing.)

But you could also try out writing styles in which the thick & thin variations are made by the pressure on the nib. In those it's not the angle of the nib that makes a line thick or thin, but how hard you press the nib. (eg. Copperplate writing.) Since there's no confusion about pen angles in this kind of calligraphy, I guess it would be easy for a left-hander to try.
Saelwen_Silivren
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 16, 2005 08:13
I've taught calligraphy, and some people find it useful to practice on graph paper with a pencil first. Don't worry about thick and thin lines to begin with... just worry about getting even curves and straight lines. *That* is what makes your calligrapy beautiful, everything else is just holding the pen the right way.

~Saelwen
ArwenElfRinoa
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 31, 2011 08:58
I just got a new calligraphy set, and I want to know if anyone has any requests for writings in elvish :3

Example: http://oi56.tinypic.com/2pq3si0.jpg
http://oi53.tinypic.com/303aiyh.jpg
http://oi53.tinypic.com/16hrwup.jpg
http://oi56.tinypic.com/2pq3si0.jpg
http://oi55.tinypic.com/10d7blz.jpg (this one is my favorite so far )

[Edited on 1/8/2011 by ArwenElfRinoa]

[Edited on 1/8/2011 by ArwenElfRinoa]
arwen1300
Gosling of Vána
Send Message
on: August 01, 2011 05:06
I got a Calligraphy set, but I've never done it before. Any tips for a complete newbie? It looks really fun, but the kit didn't come with ink, so I just got some and I'll probably try it pretty soon.
Image If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. -Thorin
ArwenElfRinoa
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 01, 2011 08:53
I suggest using blank paper, but very thinly with pencil drawing straight lines across. Also, for the first couple times, I would write the letters also lightly in pencil and then go over it slowly, wait for it to dry, and then erase the pencil. The angle of the pen is very important. Try to keep it at about 45* and write slowly if you are trying to get the hang of it. Be creative with your coloring, too. Elvish looks really cool if you do the Tehtar in another color.
If there's a JoAnn's craft store near you, I would recommend that for your supplies.
El-Tazrín
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 02, 2011 11:52
Well I've done some Chinese and Arabic calligraphy but not really any English =P I ordered a calligraphy set and it never came :'( dw i got money back ;D Elvish calligraphy does look quite cool with chinese brushes =P and also quite funky with a qalam =)
~Fëanor_Curufinwë~
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 03, 2011 11:54
I like to do calligraphy, but am not that great at it. Never took a class or anything, just found a set of ink and a pen really cheap at an antique store. I can never write in a straight line! lol. I'm not too bad at writing in tengwar with it though... haha. It's easier for some reason.
Bartimaeus
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 28, 2012 05:29
I'm not too great at it either - I have the same problem with a straight line!

I love Arabic calligraphy, though I don't know how to do it myself. Which style do you like best?
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email