Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
_mithrim
Council Member
Send Message
Post When u just wanted to slap that character...
on: October 19, 2004 02:32
Don't get me wrong. I absolutely adore Tolkien and his wonderful characters in lotr as well as the films. However, there is always one point where one character gets on your nerves. Which character in what scene did u want to temperarely knock some sense into?

*In TTT at Helms Deep when Theoden was telling everyone it was 'over' (not a very motivating thing to say)

*When Denathor was trying to burn Faramir. (He kind of needed counseling to say the least)

* When Frodo put the ring on. (No! what were u thinking my dear hobbit)

*When Gollum betrayed Frodo to Shelob (How dare he! )
Slina
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: When u just wanted to slap that character...
on: October 19, 2004 06:25
Or how about in the movie when Frodo sent Sam home? He was way too ready to believe Gollum in that scene. I mean, I understand that the ring was making him a little paranoid, but still, that's no excuse for sending his best friend away. It's just wierd that he instantly believed that Sam would actually try to take the ring, but didn't seem very cautious about Gollum until after Shelob.

Of the things that you listed, I'd say Denethor burning Faramir, even when he knew Faramir was still alive.
Faramirs_first_kiss
Mearhwine Namsmið
Send Message
on: October 19, 2004 08:36
*sniffs* poor Faramir. But I mostly wanted Eowyn to slap Grima in that scene where he goes to see her after Theodred dies. I would have done, I reckon, if it had been me.
Vale_Undomiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 20, 2004 05:46
Aragorn when he gave that smile back at Eowyn durin the cup scene in ROTK

Frodo when he sent Sam home

Denethor wantin to burn Faramir

ohh Boromir tryin to take the ring from Frodo at the end of FOTR and also durin the whole Council he was just kinda annoyin me!lol!

i bet there are more but i cant think of them now!
Scatha
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 20, 2004 10:05
The Witch-king for not wearing a full helm. (the twit left his face wide open)
j_mercuryuk
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 20, 2004 10:07
saruman and sauron, just because i think it would be funny to see. image the dark lord getting slapped.
sairina_star
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: October 20, 2004 10:15
When I saw Eowyn starting to have feelings for Aragorn. Can't she see that he's supposed to be with Arwen??? Oh, also when Denethor was talking about Boromir with pride and not about Faramir. It's like he's putting him down and I just hated that and I wanted to slap him and put some sense in his head.
Anoria_Miriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 21, 2004 06:26
When Minas Tirith starts being attaked and Denethor shouts for everybody to flee. But I guess he did get slapped by Gandalf with his staff.
Also when Denethor sent Faramir away.
As someone already said, when Gollum convinces Frodo to send Sam away.
I'm sure there are more than that.
Pippins_Ellehcim
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 21, 2004 01:26
I just wanted to slap Frodo upside the face when he snapped at Sam in TTT. You know, when he says, "What do you know about it?! Nothing!" Sam was only trying to help!! Poor Mr. Gamgee.

[Edited on 29/10/2004 by Pippins_Ellehcim]
LinweSingollo
Movies & Casting Mod, Resident Hobbit & Frodo's Footstool
Send Message
on: October 21, 2004 05:25
I wanted to slap the Ring out of Frodo's hand for causing him pain and the whole mess in the first place. Of course, then we wouldn't have much of a story, would we?
"To the Hobbits. May they outlast the Sarumans and see spring again in the trees." J.R.R. Tolkien
boromir_mad_bean_freak
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 21, 2004 11:34
I wanted to slap denethor when he had a go at Faramir and I wanted to slap Aragorn when he had a go at Boromir cos he's so cute...
CeruleanMosaic
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 24, 2004 07:01
Personally I think Faramir deserved a good smacking for the way he treated Sam at the end of TTT (extended version). Sam was trying to comfort Faramir in saying that by releasing Frodo he was truly proving his worth. Dear Faramir replies something to the effect of a gardner's opinion in the shire is worth more than it is in Gondor. The look on poor Sam's face broke my heart.
elvishmusician
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: October 24, 2004 09:30
The part where Gimli, Legolas and Aragorn track the hobbits to Fangorn and Gimli says something like 'What madness drove them there' I think its that or close to it anyway...I mean where did he expect them to go to get away from the orcs and the Riders of Rohan?!

Aragorn stopping Theoden from killing Wormtongue (I know he doesn't say anything like that it the book) but in the movie he pretty much demoted the King and made him look weak in front of his people for the first time he had seen them for who knows how long.

Legolas acting elvish in ROTK when he says 'The horses are restless and the men are quiet' -what a waste of elven skills anyone could see that -well then again at least it gave him some more lines -I sure hope Orlando has more lines in the EE of ROTK, he doesn't seem to have many at all in the theatrical edition.

Also Aragorn in FOTR, Legolas says to him 'We musn't linger' when they are in Moria and Aragorn sort of just nods, then they get attacked because they lingered too much. Also when Frodo wanders off and Legolas says 'We should leave now', then Aragorn says, 'we will wait for cover of darkness' and then Legolas 'a shadow and a threat has been growing in my mind, something draws near, I can feel it' Though I know it was then that they realised Frodo was missing but couldn't they have done some better planning. You think Aragorn would have learnt to trust Legolas's elven instincts and take them more seriously after Moria.

There are more but I can't think of any that haven't already been said.
luthienkenobi
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 27, 2004 06:39
I think that Denethor needed a slap when he wanted to burn Faramir alive...and I think that Gollum needed a slap through the whole ROTK.
Melmë
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 29, 2004 05:54
I really think someone should have slapped Frodo for sending Sam home. How dare he believe Gollum. Al Sam did was help Frodo
Gamling
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 29, 2004 10:30
How about Mr. "Men-are-weak" Elrond Peredhil? What a specie-ist! Never mind his own father Earendil was human, as was his brother Elros, by the way some of those "weak" men include:

Elendil the Tall

Beren Erchamion

Eomer Eadig

Aragorn Elessar

Theoden Ednew

Denethor Steward of Gondor

Faramir Heir of the Stewards

Nothing like stereotyping an entire species based on the action of one for those reasons Elrond Peredhil deserves to be slapped repeatedly up the side of the head.
~hobbitluver~
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 31, 2004 08:43
I think the worst one is when Frodo tells Sam to go home. As much as I love Frodo, that part...I'm surprised I haven't punched a hole in the TV yet.

And I always want to slap Arwen. No offense to anyone who likes her, she just bugs me. I guess it's my purist streak.

When the Balrog pulls Gandalf down. Bad balrog, bad! *slaps Balrog and lights hand on fire* Ow! Maybe I'll just verbally reprimand him...

When Theoden tells Merry he can't fight. Really, when anyone discriminates against hobbits I get mad.

During the last debate, when Legolas says "A diversion". Thanks for clearing that up for us, Leggy.

And Gollum. That doesn't take any explanation.

Also a bunch that people already mentioned, but I don't want to be repetitive.
Ithildiniel
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 01, 2004 02:30
Pippin for not being able to keep his hands off the Palantir. What did he think it would do? :twitch:

Elrond for being mean to Aragorn every now and then. :nono:

And, of course, Denethor for his treatment of Faramir. He was much, much worse than Elrond. :angry:
neowyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 01, 2004 05:07
I really want to slap Gandalf -please, don't kill me yet, just let me finish- when he tells Pippin to stand up at Denethor's hall... I mean, what Pippin was doing was very noble and generous, and the book Gandalf would have never done that... I never saw the need of having it done in the movies. I guess that leaves the slapping to PJ?? Well, him and gandalf are highly respected for my part, so I will just go on slapping my own forehead everytime I see that scene
kingslady
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 01, 2004 08:19
Personally I think Faramir deserved a good smacking for the way he treated Sam at the end of TTT (extended version). Sam was trying to comfort Faramir in saying that by releasing Frodo he was truly proving his worth. Dear Faramir replies something to the effect of a gardner's opinion in the shire is worth more than it is in Gondor. The look on poor Sam's face broke my heart.

I agree! Faramir is one of my favs, but that scene makes me so mad at him!

I also hate it when Denethor tells Faramir that he wishes he had died instead of Boromir.
sairina_star
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: November 02, 2004 07:16
I agree with that too. I didn't like that part but I still like Faramir's personality.
remember
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 05, 2004 07:11
I might get bashed for this... but just about every scene with Legolas. His role in the movie consisted of widening his eyes and making rather vague, annoying statements. :evil:
tar_hazelton
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 06, 2004 10:28

The line is more to the effect of, "the Shire must be a truly great realm, Master Gamgee, where gardeners are held in high honor."

I took it to mean: the world would be a better place if people like you were held in higher honor, (but you're not, so I'm going to have to take a lot of heat for this).

It was a bloody compliment, albeit with a grim attitude.
vaya
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 08, 2004 11:28
When I saw Eowyn starting to have feelings for Aragorn. Can't she see that he's supposed to be with Arwen???

I agree, though not for the same reasons.

Eowyn, honey, there's a far better man out there for you, and Aragorn isn't interested, you're not his type, you're far too mortal

Particularly during helm's deep, when she's told about Aragorn falling off the cliff, my gods, she looked like a lost poodle there!

I don't think he meant it in a mean way though. I saw it more as "The shire sounds like a cool place, if guys like you are running it." And Sam didn't seem hurt, rather he seemed almost embarressed.
~precious~lil~smeagol~
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 09, 2004 11:27
Crack Sam over the head with a washpan 4 hitting poor poor Smeagol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
makes me cry!:cry:

We :heart: Smeagol ^_^

u should 2. if u don't then get a life.

(sorry if I offended u) really.
ViggoBliggo
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 17, 2004 12:23
I really wanted to slap Denethor for his treatment of Farry....like....if I will be a father some day....I'll never hurt my own children like that...........
Woodlandelfgirl87
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 18, 2004 04:17
Same here Viggo! I really want to do much more than slap Denethor when he tells Faramir that he wishes that he was dead instead of Boromir. What kind of father is he?

I don't feel the urge to slap Eowyn, because I know how she feels not getting the guy she wants.:cry:

Whenever Frodo doesn't believe Sam about Gollum. How blind can he be? Poor Frodo though.

Wormtongue- He's always trying to hit on Eowyn.

Hmm, I think that's about it
Dûngaladwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 18, 2004 06:20
When Denethor was going to burn Faramir

When Denethor was telling Gondor's soldiers to abandon their posts (but Gandalf took care of that for me :disco: )

When Smeagol was framing Sam and telling Frodo that he had eaten the Lambas

When Smeagol was holding Frodo's hand after his little Silioquy about taking the hobbits to Shelob and then he truns around an gives an evil grin to Sam

When Eowyn (at any time in the movie) got too close to Aragorn

When Eowyn goes and kills the Witchking (cmon now what's that all about? [i haven't got that far in ROTK so don't ruin the book for me] i was waiting for Gandalf and the Witchking to have some big fight, bcuz they were leading up to something like that but noooo, Eowyn has to go and step in and kill him herself?!!?!?) .... :twitch: ...yeah, okay im done for now
vaya
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 21, 2004 12:18
When Eowyn goes and kills the Witchking (cmon now what's that all about? [i haven't got that far in ROTK so don't ruin the book for me] i was waiting for Gandalf and the Witchking to have some big fight, bcuz they were leading up to something like that but noooo, Eowyn has to go and step in and kill him herself?!!?!?) .... ...yeah, okay im done for now

yes, cause gods forbid a woman did it.

Oh wait, no man could kill him....and that's not a spoiler, he says so quite explicitly in the movie.
Nenthule
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 23, 2004 02:12
Frodo. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
He is sooooo not right in the film.
I wanted to push him off the cliff into Minas Morgul when he told Sam to go home.
Also when he said to Sam in TTT "What do you know about it? Nothing!"
I wanted to push him into that pool!!!!
Aragorns-Estel
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 23, 2004 12:14
omg i have HUNDREDS of these. but here are the ones that top my list.

when denethor made Faramir cry! i wanted to grab Gandalf's staff and beat him over the head with it. :nono: :banghead:

when frodo told sam to go home. i mean come on, guve the dude some respect. without him, frodo would be evil and had the ring stolen and sauron would reign over all middle earth plunging it into darkness and chaos. :evil: :nono:

when merry yells at pippin for looking in the seeing stone thing (name escapes me now). i mean, pippins just curious. *innocent smile*
Dolen_i_vad_a_nin
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 24, 2004 08:57
ANYTHING WITH GOLLUM! I absolutely love Andy Serkis, and he is an absloute genius to be able to bring this horrible, slinking, evil, annoying thing to life. I mean, my god, Frodo was so blind to his motives! *SLAP* I understand though, their whole connection because of the ring, but............. aaahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!! How could he NOT listen to Sam!!!!!!!!!! :cry: :dizzy: :angry: :nono:

And Boromir for putting another "weak" man on the list. *slap*

Eowyn for going after Aragorn. Not that I dont love her, but I always keep wanting to slap her hands and be like "No Eowyn, he belongs to Arwen! Bad Eowyn!"

Denethor for obvious reasons with Faramir.

And I totally agree, I can't stand it when hobbits are discriminated against! They can totally fight, I think that is pretty obvious. Slap for Eomer and Theoden!
fbc
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 24, 2004 09:56
I agree with you Dolen. Eowyn running after Aragorn like a silly lovestruck schoolgirl diminished her strength and I am in no doubt it will be enhanced in the ROTK EE with Eowyn's dream.
corvus_corax
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 24, 2004 07:48
Welcome to this years ~Smack~ awards! Only a lucky few make it into the finals, and this year's winners may stun everybody...So ooooooooon to the awards!!
-cheering and applause-

The one character action that always bugged me was during the ongoing debates regarding whether they should take the pass, the route to gondor or through the mines of moria in FotR.
Over and over again, Gandalf said that they should not go through the mines. In the end he leaves it up to Frodo.

My problem with this? Gandalf never, not once bothers to actually explain WHY!

"We shall let the ring bearer decide which path to take, but I wont actually bother to explain to him why I, a powerful and wise wizard, would rather face the certain death of a frozen mountain falling on our heads!"

Bah!
To Gandalf, who should have known better, goes the "Its not my fault" ~Smack~ award~

The runner up for this award was the rest of the fellowship who should have asked "Why, o powerful wizard, why, living legend, why O WHY dont you want us to go into the Mines?!?"

The next ~Smack~ award goes to Aragorn when he held back Theoden from killing Grima. Morals are all nice and good, but this is a time of war! Because of this one action, this one stayed hand, Grima was able to feed Saruman the primary (sole?) weakness of Helm's Deep.
So to Aragorn goes my "You aided the enemy in killing thousands" ~Smack~ award!

And finally, the "Duh" ~Smack~ award!
This was a no-contest...The second runner up, first runner up and all around winner is.......(drum rollll).....
LEGOLAS!!!!!
Yes, for having nearly all the lines that spoon fed the most dull witted viewer ("A distraction", "Orcs!" and a hundred others), Legolas is this years winner for the "OBvious Lines" ~Smack~ award (AKA the "Duh" ~Smack~ award and the "Councilor Troi" ~Smack~ award)
NamikoIolana
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 25, 2004 08:39
As much as I love Elrond, I really wanted to slap him when he told Arwen that Aragorn would not return in TTT.

Hate to say it, but I think Faramir deserves a smack for trying to take the Ring from Frodo.

Legolas deserved something when he told Aragorn that everyone was going to die right before Helm's Deep, but I s'ppose it wasn't too bad, seeing as how he was talking in Elvish and no one understood it 'cept for Aragorn (we hope...)

I only pick on them 'cause I love 'em. If I didn't love 'em, I wouldn't care!

[Edited on 25/11/2004 by NamikoIolana]
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email