Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Tristantak
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: General Weapon Discussion
on: August 25, 2012 02:29
Well, this is a nice topic. I like swords, daggers, shields, bows. In my LARP I use a sword in my right hand, dagger in my left. I like bows. Panpipes do a surprising amount of damage. I used to like clubs, but after I got my head cracked open, not so much... Probably coulda used stitches there...
Fencing is nice. With proper protection, of course. I've incorporated my fencing knowledge into my sword style for LARP.
Friend of mine challenged me to a fencing match @ church- with yardsticks, strangely. Hit him five times before he touched me. I usually don't fight amateurs, but hey. I'm not one to back down from a challenge when my reputation as a fencer is on the line...
Sorry. I tend to ramble.
LegolasXXXXX
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 25, 2012 04:55
LoL, tris, I would love to duel you sometime. I'm not a fencer, my swordfighting style comes from the Far East, namely, Japan. When I fight, I prefer to switch hands during the fight if I'm using a shorter sword tho, but I'm not sure if that is totally a samurai way of fighting lol.

My LOTR weapon of choice is the sword. I prefer Aragorn's Ranger sword for most any type of fighting, but a shorter sword with about a 2 1/2 foot blade is preferable when I'm in some thick woods. However, with that being said, for extra, I love using a bow, and also, I am a throwing knife type of person. Shurikens are also very cool.

For modern weapons, I still like using a knife, but I'm a sniper at heart.
Lindarielwen, I hope that wherever you are it is incredible and filled with all the things that you love. Looking forward to our next meeting.
Beren_Onehand
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 06, 2012 12:31
Quote from LegolasXXXXX on August 26, 2012, 02:55

I LOVE being sniper!

Me and my friend tried teaching ourselves swordfighting once and it didn't go very well. Maybe we should try again, anyone have any ideas about which style we should pursue?
"All we have to decide, is what to do with the time that is given to us"
Leoflic_Nightleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 06, 2012 01:17
Re-curve bow!!!!!
LegolasXXXXX
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 06, 2012 11:57
Quote from Beren_Onehand on September 6, 2012, 10:31
Quote from LegolasXXXXX on August 26, 2012, 02:55

I LOVE being sniper!

Me and my friend tried teaching ourselves swordfighting once and it didn't go very well. Maybe we should try again, anyone have any ideas about which style we should pursue?

Well, the Japanese fighting style was very good...it was artistic and fluid, but deadly at the same time. Advice tho, in a swordfight, it's footwork that counts. Try to keep moving if you're engaged, before that don't move at all so your opponent won't see any weakness in your fighting style before the fight has actually started, and don't switch your swordhand unless you absolutely positively know what you're doing...or if your other hand has been sliced off lol

HEADSHOT hehe

Lindarielwen, I hope that wherever you are it is incredible and filled with all the things that you love. Looking forward to our next meeting.
Beren_Onehand
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 10, 2012 01:03
Thanks LegolasXXXXX, I might have to research that online sometime.
LegolasXXXXX
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 10, 2012 08:43
np man, would love to duel u sometime
Beren_Onehand
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 14, 2012 04:01
Well, where do you live? And after a while I might get the nerve to actually fight someone. Where did you start learning it? Or did you teach yourself? Swordfighting that is.
LegolasXXXXX
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 18, 2012 06:42
I live in VT man, idk where you are lol. And, yes, I did teach myself, and watched various duels and stuff.
Beren_Onehand
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 18, 2012 11:53
Oh well, I live in MS so...nuts!

That is so cool that you taught yourself though. I am in the beginning stages of teaching myself right as well. As of now I am just trying to learn different stances different cuts and and some footwork. I am also working out a little bit trying to get stronger so that I don't wear out so fast. Having trouble finding a good sword though... (a buffer or waster I think are the correct terms)
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 05, 2012 02:29
I have 2 official LOTR swords. Narsil is really awesome and I can hardly hold it with both hands. It is very heavy. I also have Sting which is more my size. It is easy to handle and is just right for me.

A star shines upon the hour of our meeting
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 05, 2012 08:20
I agree with Leoflic_Nightleaf. Totally a recurve! But, i would like to be armed like Legolas. A bow, arrows, and knives. That's pretty cool!
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 05, 2012 11:03
I play Dagorhir, which is basically similar to LARP but with more emphasis on the action/battle part of it. And while playing that I try to be at least proficient at all weapons that I can get my hands on. Right now my favorite combinations are sword, punch shield, and dagger. Then archery (I have a recurve bow just need to find the right kind of arrows). I enjoy twin blades but I'm not that good at that, yet...
'If they have a fault it is distrust of strangers. Though their magic was strong even in those days they were wary. They differed from the High Elves of the West, and were more dangerous and less wise.' ~ Flies and Spiders The Hobbit
Taug anin ú-daug.
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 05, 2012 06:40
That sounds like a fun game
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 10, 2012 05:45
It is, here's the link to the website so you can find out if there is a realm near you....http://www.dagorhir.com/
'If they have a fault it is distrust of strangers. Though their magic was strong even in those days they were wary. They differed from the High Elves of the West, and were more dangerous and less wise.' ~ Flies and Spiders The Hobbit
Taug anin ú-daug.
Leoflic_Nightleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 10, 2012 05:49
When it comes to mock battles, i definitely like hand-to-hand combat. My reason? Well, if your opponent is using a sword, axe, or bow, get in close enough, and they will have no room to maneuver.
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 10, 2012 06:09
good idea
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 25, 2012 09:05
do any of you play LOTRO?
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 06, 2013 07:22
Oh yes hand-to-hand combat is always fun! Especially when you are hiding a dagger....

And Legolas23, yes I do play LoTRO, on Firefoot and Eldar servers. I believe that there is a thread for it in the 'Computer/Console/Board Games' section..
Taug anin ú-daug.
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 06, 2013 07:39
oh yes! hiding daggers is always good when you r fighting an enemy. In the Inheritance Cycle (sometimes called the Eragon series) Nasiwarda always hides a dagger in the folds of her dress. Being the leader of the Varden (a group of people who resist the empire) she needs much protection!
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 14, 2013 07:44
But, I don't want to allow my enemies to get that close to me in the first place.
Taug anin ú-daug.
Leoflic_Nightleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 15, 2013 01:02
Yes, I agree. But in case they do get that close, it's good to be prepared. And yes, I would keep a dagger as well. In fact, my favorite tactic in any game, is to sneak up behind someone and slit their throat. Kind of brutal, but hey, it gets the job done. I also love bows of course!
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 15, 2013 05:27
Agreed!
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 15, 2013 10:44
Yup, always be prepared.
Taug anin ú-daug.
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 20, 2013 08:01
In every way possible!
AnariaLaurelin
Council Member
Send Message
I really love bows, so that would be an obvious first choice for me. But swords are also cool; Sting and Orcrist are awesome.
Image Image
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
A couple of sword observations:

When the Danaians came to Ireland they brought four gifts; the sword, the stone, the spear (or staff) and the cauldron. These four are still around as the dagger, saltstone, wand and cup in folk magic practises. It's generally believed that they were symbolic of the arts and skills introduced by them. It's notable though that the best bronze swords were cast in stone moulds and could only be withdrawn once they had cooled sufficiently, which might take a few days. Before this they wouldn't come out. Ring any bells?

It is a curious thing that the sword seems to lend itself so readily to the various arts of embellishment and decoration. I can't think of any other artifact like it in this respect.
Wascloth-
Council Member
Send Message
Ok I have a big question and if any of you play skyrim or any elder scrolls game you might appreciate this. Do you prefer one handed weapons, such as swords or maces, with maybe a shield or another weapon. Or big heavy two handed weapons such as a great sword or battle axe. Also there is the option of bows.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Hello,
I love broadswords,maces, flails, dirks, and basically any medieval weapon. I'm learning archery but I couldn't take down an oliphant. I recently bought a supposedly dagger version of Anduril. But it doesn't have any elvish writing. I want to give it a new name since it doesn't look like Anduril. I don't really want to call it Narsil but it does need a name. Only problem weapons are named after doing great deeds. Maybe I should name it Deedless.
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
Wascloth-
Council Member
Send Message
That sounds like a great name for a weapon that has yet to accomplish anything.
Lynk
Council Member
Send Message
Cenor garon i enith maer an bairf.

Cenor I got good names for weapons.

Pedog man anírol a annathon mîn.

Tell me what you want and I'll give you one

Btw
Seron crist,thaind a bing.

I like swords, shields and bows.

[Edited on 11/11/2014 by Lynk]
De andelu ervenin! Mabo i grist hen. It's dangerous to go alone! Take this sword!
Mironiel_EA
Council Member
Send Message
dual daggers! and a bow. swords are okay.
RaenMaethor
Council Member
Send Message
I train in a German style of longsword fighting. If anyone is interested there are plenty of online resources to pick up real swordfighting, and id be happy to share my knowledge with anyone interested.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
RaenMaethor said:I train in a German style of longsword fighting. If anyone is interested there are plenty of online resources to pick up real swordfighting, and id be happy to share my knowledge with anyone interested.

Cool! You into re-enactments?
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
RaenMaethor
Council Member
Send Message
Arveleg said:
RaenMaethor said:I train in a German style of longsword fighting. If anyone is interested there are plenty of online resources to pick up real swordfighting, and id be happy to share my knowledge with anyone interested.

Cool! You into re-enactments?

I would like to be. My group does demos at Renaissance faires now and then, I haven't been involved long enough to be a part of one. But yeah i would like to be.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email