Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
Post ROTK Sequence by Sequence roundup: Favourite scene from ROTK
on: August 28, 2005 12:12
Same as the other two: from the top-10 we voted for in all the ROTK Sequence by Sequence threads, which scene do you prefer?
Figwit
Send Message
Post RE: ROTK Sequence by Sequence roundup: Favourite scene from ROTK
on: August 28, 2005 12:18
I'll write my comments later, but this is the rest of the top-20:

11. Arwen looks at Narsil and recites Strider's Riddle
12. Merry and Aragorn talk (EE)
13. Gollum accuses Sam of stealing the lembas
14. Théoden confronts Saruman
15. Éowyn's dream
16. Gollum goes shizo in the pool
17. Sam finds Frodo in the Tower of Cirith Ungol
18. Elrond brings Andúril
19. Éomer finds Éowyn (EE)
20. Sam to the rescue (Shelob's lair)
Aervir
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 29, 2005 11:22
I guess I've stuck with the majority of the votes here by deciding in favour of the charge of the Rohirrim.

After the first viewing of ROTK, I tended to get slightly bored by all the fighting in the battle scenes, but not even when I saw the film for the fifth or sixth time did I feel disappointed by this part of the Pelennor Fields. :love:

The sound of the horns of Rohan in the morning is such an obvious symbol for hope, light and deliverance in the novel, and I simply love the way in which this also comes across quite perfectly on screen: the sound effects of the horns, which you hear first, the surprise on the face of the enemies, the fear shown but conquered by Théoden or Éowyn, the first streaks of dawn just visible behind the Rohirrim, the dialogue part of Théoden's speech, Bernard Hill's performance, the ferocity of the riders...

It all just makes me want to cheer and bawl like a baby at the very same time. I'm only sorry because it didn't have the crowing cock announcing their arrival in it.
hobbitee
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 29, 2005 12:29
I liked when Pippin and Gandalf talk about death. It was like taking a moment off from the war going on outside, and it was just really sentimental and everything. :heart:
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: August 30, 2005 07:53
What? "I can't carry It for you, but I can carry you!" didn't make even the Top 20? I should have thought that, that one would have been voted higher...

Of the poll choices, I'll have to go for the Rohirrim - it's one of my favourite scenes in the book, and in the movie as well.
Denethorsgirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 30, 2005 08:14
I like the part with the lighting of the beacons. I love the music in the background
asleepingvision
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 30, 2005 03:51
I like the part with the lighting of the beacons. I love the music in the background

ME TOO!!!! I always have this kind of soaring feeling every time i watch that part.
The_seventh_Ringbearer
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 02, 2005 03:30
I went with Gandalf and Pippin talk about death. Tolkien did a phenomenal way of describing it in his book, and PJ did a phenomenal job putting it into Gandalf's mouth.

Tho from the whole movie, I can't believe the Cracks of Doom didn't make it on. Now that scene was my favorite. Well, anything inbetween "I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you" to when Frodo and Sam get off the mountain.:disco:
foolofatook~
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 02, 2005 08:01
I always did love the "Grey Havens" scene, though I'm probably one of the few who prefer that scene over all others. For me, it was a symbol (or sense) of peace, love, and encouragement all rolled into one. Something about that made me feel....I dunno...."safe". I also love Frodo's smile - so beautiful.

"Merry and Pippin's Farewell" also has a great impact on me, for their relationship was close to that of a brother-to-brother connection. My sister and I are extremely close to each other, and the idea of leaving her would probably be something of a "shock" for the both of us. Henceforth, when I saw that scene, it gave me an image of what it would be like if my sister and I became separated.

[Edited on 2/9/2005 by foolofatook~]
elvishmusician
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: September 02, 2005 11:24
Out of the top 10 my favourite scene would be the extended edition scene between Pippin and Faramir. One of my favourite scenes though is the one where Arwen returns to her father after seeing Eldarion -not just the riddle recital but that whole sequence from when she says 'Tell me what you have seen' :sob:.

I didn't mind the Grey Haven's scene either ... hehe when my siblings first saw it, it was so cute (they being about 8 and 9 at the time) cried their little eyes out :cry::cry:
Rulea
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 02, 2005 04:03
I loved Arwen's vision, very beautiful! Aragorn's coronation and pippen's talk with Gandalf. Very awe-worthy....
MerryandPip
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 03, 2005 03:14
I love when Faramir and Pippin talk in ROTK EE.
Dolen_i_vad_a_nin
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 21, 2005 05:43
How am I supposed to pick? I did end up picking Aragorn's coronation, because of the beautiful music, and I love how the Fellowship is all together again.

But I do also love the Return of Saruman scene; a favourite of mine in the book. I love how Theoden stands up to him!

Pippin's song. I dont even think I have to tell you people why I love this scene. It's just amazing.

And the Grey Haven's. hhmmm. The first time I saw this scene, I cried like a little baby. And even now when I watch the movie to the end, I never know what I feel like when its over. Am I happy that Frodo has finally found peace? Am I mad that he left his friends behind? And Gandalf, am I sad or happy? oh, it's all so emotional!
MerryandPip
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 29, 2005 10:38
Yeah, its funny, everyone I talk to about the Grey Havens says they had mixed feelings about it. The last time I watched ROTK I cried too. :sob:
Figwit
Send Message
on: December 28, 2005 01:00
Okay guys, with the new section looming on the horizon, I really need your imput here. Please take a vote, and explain why you chose this particular scene as your favourite!
Drauglin
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 28, 2005 11:23
Every single one of those scenes are classic, esp. the EE Saruman scene, but I had to go with Pippin's song. Not just the song itself, but the way that sequence was done is just ...ferocious.

The beacons and the G/P talk about death are great uses of things that could've been left out as 'too obscure' passages of the book. Both very well done. I freakin' cheered in the theater when the Rohirrim showed up though!
Dolwen
Store Admin & Head Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
on: December 29, 2005 02:33
For some reason I didn't have the vote page for this one, it shows the results for me, the fellowship and two towers worked for me though.
Anyway, I would choose The Ride of the Rohirrim. That scene still gives me goose bumps, no matter how many times I have seen it.
Figwit
Send Message
on: December 30, 2005 02:10
For some reason I didn't have the vote page for this one, it shows the results for me, the fellowship and two towers worked for me though.

That's because you already voted for this one
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email