Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
FiRWEN
Council Member
Send Message
Post Book Scenes That Should've Been In The Movies
on: April 14, 2008 09:21
who here thinks PJ should have put the scouring of the shire in the films?
i'm torn. it would have made the movies tooooo long 4 theatres. but in the extended version, i think he could have managed. it was such a cool scenario in the book.

[Edited on 14/4/2008 by LinweSingollo]
LinweSingollo
Movies & Casting Mod, Resident Hobbit & Frodo's Footstool
Send Message
Post RE: Book Scenes That Should've Been In The Movies
on: April 14, 2008 10:56
I couldn't find a thread that specifically covered this topic even though I distinctly remember there being heated debates about this a while back. So we'll keep this one for now. However, I changed the title so that the discussion can be more inclusive.
"To the Hobbits. May they outlast the Sarumans and see spring again in the trees." J.R.R. Tolkien
EldyTindomiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 15, 2008 04:49
Hmm.. although I would love to see the scouring of the Shire I think PJ did well that didn't add this to the movie... because at Aragorn's coronation everybody is happy and after that, the Hobbits are happy for finally going back home... another "adventure" would ruin this feeling for the audience...

But one scene that I would love to see in the movies is when the Hobbits meet Tom Bombadil.
I guess PJ didn't add this to the movies because it was pretty random.....
frodofan14
CoE Volunteer & Realm Head of Manwë Súlimo
Send Message
on: April 15, 2008 09:42
I watches some interviews with PJ and he said no Tom coz that would look really stupid to people who hadnt read the books and it might get bad publicity.

But as for the scouring, I dont see why they didn't.
Aegor
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: April 15, 2008 09:50
I was so happy that PJ didn't include the Scouring of the Shire, for me that was the worst part of the book. I can understand why Tolkien wrote it but it just spoiled the whole momentum during my first read. It would probably do an even bigger disaster to a movie so it's a good thing if was left behind.

The scene that I do miss is the Old Forest. It was the first real adventure that the Hobbits had together so I missed seeing that. And Tom and Goldberry would also be fantastic to see... at least Decipher made a trading card of them so that will have to do
Elana
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 17, 2008 10:18
Well, I was surprised that the Scouring of the Shire wasn't included in RotK when I watched it for the first time, but I wasn't really disappointed. I liked the chapter in the book, but it wouldn't have fit in the movie.

One scene I missed was Galadriel's song when they say farewell to her. It added such a depth to the story and I was very disappointed when it didn't appear in the movie.
EldyTindomiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 17, 2008 11:15
Oooo!!
Thought of another one!!!

One scene I really missed was the messages from Galadriel that Gandalf gave Aragorn and Legolas in TTT book....
I think that would have given the audience an idea of what Legolas did after the whole battle.
Imahobbitgirl2
Realm Leader of Manwë Súlimo
Send Message
on: April 18, 2008 10:14
I, for one, am glad they didn't put the Scouring of the Shire in the movie. I didn't really like that chapter in the book. I understood it -- sometimes tragic circumstances can happen in your own backyard -- but I didn't like it. The thought of the Shire, this green, perfect, happy paradise, turned into a dirty, grimy, polluted industrial waste factory was almost too much for me to bear. After seeing how beautiful it was at the beginning of FOTR, I was very worried that I would have to see how ugly and evil it would become -- aside from that little scene in the Mirror of Galadrial, which I think was all the more poignant leaving it like that -- Frodo saw what was at stake if he didn't succeed in his mission.
But I was pleasantly surprised and relieved when I saw the hobbits returning home to find the Shire exactly the way they had left it. And I saw the reason behind it. When a young person goes out to war or college or for any reason to see the world beyond the one they grew up in, suddenly when they return home, that home seems... smaller, more insignificant. And their friends and family would never understand. That was what our hobbit friends experienced in returning to the Shire. Everything was still the same -- it was the hobbits that had changed. In going out into the big, wide world and experiencing what they did, our little friends had grown up. It was never better shown than in the Green Dragon; when our friends looked around each other you could tell what they were thinking: "We just saved Middle Earth. We just saw friends die and horrific things happening, and no one will ever understand but us." It's a heartbreaking thought -- you really can't go home again.

There were other scenes in the book, however that I do wish was in the movie. Yes, Tom Bombadil is one. I miss him. And the hobbits' adventure in the Old Forest and in the Barrow-Downs. They could've at least shown that. It would've been nice, too, to see Pippin's relationship with that little boy in Minas Tirith. That was one of my favorite parts of the book. I could understand them not bringing in Beregrond, but they could've at least had something with the little boy. It would've been cute. And I would've like to have seen a proper goodbye with the Fellowship at the end -- I mean, they did film it initially. (But then with all these additions the film would've been, like 20 hours long. I don't even want to imagine the movie marathon I would have to regularly hold! )

I also would've liked them to have included more songs from the book. Those were wonderful poems and they probably would've been very well done by the cast. (Can you imagine Legolas singing? I'd pay money just to see that! )
HannaofElves
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 20, 2008 04:51
I agree with everything EldyTindomiel said. Those scenes should've been in the movies. I also think that part when the company started to go in to Lothlorien and Legolas told the story of the river there........that would've been neat to see in the movie.
NellasTaralom
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 10, 2009 05:45
Yes, I agree that it would have been nice to see Gandalf give the Three Hunters the messages from Galadriel. AND the Song of Nimrodel that Legolas sang in Lothlorien.

But it's probably for the best that the majority of the poetry was left out of the films....I think that too much poetry wouldn't have translated well on the big screen. Don't get me wrong, I am completely in love with the poetry throughout the books, but movies...are more fast paced and essentially prose-based, of course, so the rhymes wouldn't have fit in well.

Notice that Boromir never actually spoke the riddle of the ring at the Council of Elrond like he did in the book "seek for the sword that was broken..." etc. He just mentions his dream, saying that he heard a voice telling that the doom was near at hand. The "riddle" is also alluded to in the Two Towers, when Faramir encounters Frodo, Sam and Gollum...."so this is the answer to all the riddles...Isildur's bane has been found" In this way, I think the writers did an admirable job of incorporating some of the poetry indirectly.

But....if (in an ideal world) they had included lots of poetry and song in the movies....I would have LOVED to see Galadriel's song of Valimar as she sails in her swan ship to meet the Fellowship as they leave Lorien. It would have been amazing if Cate Blanchett actually sang it. ahhhhh well...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now, I realize that the PJ had to keep the film's running time reasonable, so adding any more scenes would be next to impossible. But still....

the scene that I would have LOVED to see in the movie was the fight with wolves in Eregion, before the fellowship climbs Caradhras. That was a pretty cool fight scene, I think. Gandalf does some "magic", and Legolas shoots an arrow that catches fire as it flies, straight into the heart of the wolf leader. Anyways, it was awesome, and i WISH they had put it in. *sigh*

I'm gonna think of some more scenes that should have been added (in my opinion) and get back to this later....

[Edited on 6/11/2009 by NellasTaralom]
heri_sinyë
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 11, 2009 05:29
I would have loved to see the scouring of the Shire in the movie, but I still think PJ did the right thing omitting those scenes. This movie was not intended for us Tolkien fans only, and people that aren't that into the whole LoTR world as we are would probably find it superfluous. Most viewers wanted an exciting adventure with the classic happy ending, many though the ending was far to long as it is already, so I think the popularity of he movie would have decreased with an even longer ending to the third movie. (Still, I know I would have loved to see that. I didn't know what to think when I saw Saruman die... very puzzled in the beginning )

While I don't think Tom Bombadil would've worked in a movie (I think it's the kind of characters that only work in books), I think they should have included the way that Frodo got prepared to leave, how Merry and Pippin knew and were willing to help him out. Instead of just running out of Bag End the next morning and popping in to Merry and Pippin while they were stealing vegetables... And I would've liked a better explanation to how the hobbits got their swords. It's hard to believe that Aragorn just happened to be carrying around four swords of the appropriate size for a hobbit...

Hmm...there are a lot of other tiny stuff I wish they would've put in the movie, but I realize they can't make it 50h long... unfortunately I think there's got to be some kind of time limit for this kind of stuff.
Passepartout
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 11, 2009 06:44
I think Tom Bombadil should have at least been in the extended version of the movies. I also think that the scouring of the shire wouldn't have been good in the movie. It just ruins the happy flow that we had after the ring was destroyed.
Nagzz
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 11, 2009 10:30
The Scouring of the Shire.. loved that part in the book - tragic as it was, it was so fitting. But in the movie.. I dunno how well it would've fit.

But the Steward and the King! Faramir & Eowyn's scene was completely cut out in the theatrical version and cut down to.. like.. a minute in the extended! I was so disappointed when that was cut out.. it was one of my favourite scenes <33:

[Edited on 6/11/2009 by Nagzz]
Taraisilwèn
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 14, 2009 02:10
Aww yes, I really missed the scenes with Eowyn and Faramir. At least they put one more in the extended version, but it's too short

What I also really miss, is the ranger and I guess especially the sons of Elrond coming to Aragorn's aid.
Maybe they couldn't't because then there would suddenly have appeared two new characters in the middle of the last movie, but still,
it would have been great if they were in the movies..!
Aran_Quendi
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 14, 2009 02:19
I would have liked to have seen more of the Rangers in the movie, both of the North and the South, I also would have liked to have seen the scene with the Wolves where Gandalf works his Wizard magic in Hollin, another great scene would have been the hobbits waking up in the forest of Ithilien, I just like that better than the way it was done in the movies.
Ullúme_Anaróre
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 14, 2009 03:34
i would've liked more songs... there are so many great ones in the books...
thrain
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 15, 2009 10:11
I would have liked to see the scouring of the shire in the movies and really missed that part. Not so much that you go from the happy crowing of king aragorn to 'another adventure' but more that you see how much that hobbits have grown throughout the book/movie.

Just loved it when they come into the shire and altough they are sad about what happened, they aren't afraid for the intruders since the intruders of the shire are nothing compared to what happened to them before.
Enel
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 15, 2009 10:13
I would have liked some more of the songs from the books, and Tom Bombadil. I was really looking forward to seeing him in the movie, but alas! he wasn't there. And some of the scenes with Eowyn and Faramir would have been nice.
Nagzz
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 15, 2009 02:35
Yeah, when the Rangers come to Aragorn's aid - I've read that part so many times, just love it lol. That would've been awesome in the film.

Eowyn & Faramir .. somehow I don't think I'll ever get over that lol

EternalFlame55
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 10, 2009 06:20
I'm pleased I found a board like this around these parts.

Well, since the movies is what orginally hooked me and I'm just now managing to flip around to some good Frodo and Sam scenes in the books, there were a few scenes which I wish they would have kept in Return of the King.

One of them being the scene from the chapter "The Stairs of Cirith Ungol". Where Gollum comes back to the duo a few hours later and sees that Frodo is sleeping in Sam's lap, and for a brief minute he regreats what he's doing. Etc. Etc.

Maybe it's just my irritatedself about Frodo telling Sam to go home, but...I would have just liked it. It was sweet when I read it, and it's something that would have been good.

Same for some extended verisons of Sam over Frodo's "dead" body in Shelob's Lair. I knew they orginally filmmed more shots with Sam's emotions. (I saw him screaming "Oh what do I do now!" in the behind the scenes.) That and when Sam rescues Frodo is some of my favorite parts of the last book. So, I would have liked it more if they had extended it.

And the lines afterwards with Sam and Frodo "Am I still dreaming? But the other dreams were horrible." "You're not dreaming Master. It's me, I've come."

But I can't say that those scenes *weren't* sad and fluffy already. But, eh. Haha. I'm just picky I guess. Still, that's my opinion.
scaliper
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 12, 2009 08:53
Personally, I really would have loved to see the fight scene between Gil-Galad, Elendil, and Sauron. It made me kind of depressed that Gil-Galad made only a tiny tiny appearance in the films.
narnianhobbit
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 16, 2009 01:00
Well, Scouring of the Shire doesn't really bother me so much. It would have made the movie WAYYYY too long, and plus there's really not another climax needed.

However, there was one thing that REALLLYYY bothered me: The Houses of Healing. Sure, it was in the EE, but even that wasn't anywhere near Tolkien's romantic, beautiful scene from the book.

Another one of my favorite scenes from the book that somehow didn't make it's way to the screen is Frodo sleeping on Sam's lap and Gollum almost repenting. I miss that scene so much, it was so sweet.:cry:

[Edited on 16/8/2009 by narnianhobbit]
TindomerelofNargothrond
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 16, 2009 01:02
I agree. They should have incorporated more of that beautiful bit of Faramir/Eowyn romance that Tolkien wrote. I would have put it in word for word lol.
Lothiriel86
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 05, 2011 12:47
as Prince Imrahil is one of my favorite characters I missed not having him in the movies...and I loved the Houses of Healing chapter...so I would like an extended-extended scene of that!
SongofNimrodel
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 12, 2011 02:53
Eowyn and Faramir. I am in love with their love story. I make little happy noises whenever i read it. WHY was it not in the movies?

And the wolf fight befor they get to Moria. I thought moviegoers wanted action!action!action! And that is one sweet fight scene. Time constraints? No problem! Just cut back the Watcher in the Water to what it was in the book.

And of course the Big Ones - Tom and the scouring of the Shire. I am not sure Tom would have been done right at all, and a messed-up Tom Bombadil might have been worse than none. But i still miss him.

Actually, i miss everything that was taken out. I undertand not everyone (ok - barely anyone) would want to watch a movie as long as that would make it. So i don't wish they'd put in every word... but i do miss every word they didn't put in.

Frodo~the~Second
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 23, 2011 01:39
Something left out of the books and the movies that should have been included was the love story between Merry & Eowyn... LOL, no one hate me, but they just had, in my opinion, such better chemistry than the Captain of Gondor.

Oh, and I miss the scene where Frodo starts singing to Goldberry.

~Frodo (the Second)
SongofNimrodel
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 30, 2011 04:09
Faramir and Eowyn forever! :love:
GreenLeafGurl
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 21, 2011 07:37
I would agree that one of the things I miss most in the movie is the Rangers and Elrond's sons coming to Aragorn's aid. I would have liked to see the Scouring of the Shire, but I can understand why it was left out.

They could have given a little more screen time to Faramir and Eowyn.
Heryn~Nithpantiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 10, 2011 02:46
I agree with GreenLeafGurl about the rangers and Eowyn and Faramir. I really wish that the Eowyn and Faramir part wasn't so non-existent.
lijahluver
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 23, 2011 01:04
I would have loved to see more of Eowyn and Faramir too. Their story was so wonderful in the book. The one little scene that they did have was cut out of the theatrical version, and alot of people probably don't even notice them standing by each other at Aragorn's crowning, or understand that it means anything. I'm not upset about it, but it would have been nice.

Tom Bombadil would've been cool, but I understand why they didn't include that.
LadyBeruthiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 23, 2011 02:59
I think Tom Bombadil would have come across as a refugee from a Disney movie in PJ's films. I didn't even like him that much in the books. I do wish they'd shown the scene in the Barrow Downs, though, and I guess they'd have needed Tom for that.

Supper at Farmer Maggot's and the cottage at Crickhollow.

Faramir and Eowyn's kiss! *swoon* I was really surprised that didn't get in.

I missed the Scouring of the Shire, although I've heard people complain that the movie already has too many endings. But it shows the maturity of the hobbits, how they're able to look after themselves after so many years of being secretly guarded by the Dunedain. And in a way, that's the whole point of the story, to bring all the tales of adventure, the mythology, home.

Having said all that, I do understand PJ's choices. The books are large, leisurely things that can take weeks to enjoy. I still reread and savor them. But you can't expect an audience to spend weeks in a theater watching all the subplots and minor characters develop!
Latarina15
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 24, 2011 05:34
i wish that they had done more with faramir to show mmore of who he is. i htink he came accrost as a little snobby in the movies (although the extended version was better)
oh and i also wish that they had done the part with aragorns kin in the paths of the dead i missed that part from the books
asea_aranion
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 20, 2011 02:55
I'm glad to see so many people who wish there had been more of Faramir and Eowyn. I'm definitely bummed that their scene in the Houses of Healing was so truncated that it was almost unrecognizable. There's some really great dialogue in that scene (though I suppose some of it got swiped for other characters in other movies). Plus, I think it weakened Eowyn's character a bit to see her all mopey and then just falling for Faramir - the whole reason she sought him out in the first place was because she wanted to get the heck out of there.
belldoras
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 21, 2011 12:01
Perhaps the production team could have added extra scenes surrounding Aragorn's coronation and celebration feast and Theoden's funeral and the feasting that took place at Edoras as well.

Rulea
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 04, 2011 09:53
More of the singing such as Frodo singing in the Prancing Pony, the Hall of Fire, Aragorn's wedding, and when Aragorn says farewell to the Hobbits.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email