Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Oreleth
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Darkness Returns
on: July 03, 2009 12:45
"Why must you hunt this stag?" Barawen asked of Aldaron. She turned to Teren, the Beorning and said, "sir, why do you hunt this stag? And why do you call him Darkheart?" The man was about to reply when a loud rustling was heard in the branches over head. A squirrel, whose coat was as black as coal, dropped down from the trees. It staggered about for a few minutes before falling dead on the path at Teren's feet. He knelt beside it and examined it.
curufinwefeanor13
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 04, 2009 07:22
Teren looked up, "I must hunt this stag, my lady, because it has become a vector for the darkness spreading to the forest," he gestured towards the squirrel, "One of its victims."
"You see Barawen we must hunt this stag," Aldaron said, "it is part of our mission." At this point Aldaron couldn't care less about their mission, he just had to hunt the stag. Aldaron turned to Teren, "I am Aldaron the greatest hunter in Mirkwood, nay in all of Middle Earth. I am a greater hunter than even Celegorm son of Fëanor who owned Huan the hound of Valinor, for Nimdal is greater than any hound alive or dead." Aldaron could hear Legolas snicker at his bragging, hopefully Teren didn't hear. "I at least will hunt this beast."

[Edited on 5/7/2009 by curufinwefeanor13]
Erulasse
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 04, 2009 02:11
Naerwen rolled her eyes at Aldaron. She then turned to Teren. "You speak of a darkness returning; you have witnessed it here also?"
"That I have," he replied. "The creatures of the woods have become restless. My people have been worried. We have been attacked for several weeks now; first by spiders and now this stag. Three of our company have died."
"Do you have any idea why the creatures are acting in such a way?" Naerwen asked.
"Sadly, I do not," Teren said.
Naerwen turned to Legolas. "As foolish as I think Aldaron's ambition is," she nodded towards the Elf, "do you think the beast could give us a clue as to what is happening?"
Oreleth
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 08, 2009 04:20
"I do believe that the stag could," replied Legolas, "though, how I do not know."
Barawen turned to Aldaron and said, "I do not care for boastful words that praise only one's self, but you may be right, hunting the stag may be part of our mission," she turned to Legolas and Naerwen, "what do you propose we do?"
curufinwefeanor13
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 10, 2009 12:03
Aldaron glared at Barawen, what could an elf-woman know about hunting? "Legolas I say we tell this good man," Aldaron gestured to Teren, "to lead us to his camp, there we can get help in hunting the stag."
Teren looked at Aldaron then at Legolas. Legolas was deep in thought. He turned to Naerwen, his closest friend on their quest, "What do you think? Should we follow Teren to his camp or hunt the beast on our own?"
Erulasse
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 12, 2009 08:22
Naerwen pondered his question carefully before answering, "I believe help could be useful. Although," she turned a piercing gaze to Aldaron, "I believe we could be more polite in seeking assitance, rather than demanding it." The two Elves' eyes locked. Though Aldaron was many years her senior, Naerwen wasn't going to let him walk all over her.
Sensing the rising hostility, Teren intervened. "I would be glad to help you if it means my people could be safe again. Come, I will bring you to my house. You will have to lead your horses though, for the path is narrow." The Elves dismounted and followed Teren into the trees.
Oreleth
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 21, 2009 12:26
They followed Teren for quite sometime. No one spoke a word. They all mulled over their own thoughts. Darkness fell and with it strange noises and tired minds. Barawen fought to stay awake, stumbling once or twice. She leaned against Mistë for support. Teren walked on. Finally they stopped.
curufinwefeanor13
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 21, 2009 05:49
Teren turned to look at the Elves, he gestured to the area ahead of him and said, "The village lies up ahead I will go first and tell Grimbeorn you have arrived." Teren ran into the village.
Teren was gone for awhile and when he returned he looked saddened. "Darkheart has claimed another victim."
Aldaron stepped forward, "I knew we must hunt this beast Legolas, and the hunt will be revered in song as much as the Hunt of the Wolf Carcharoth the Red Maw. Where went Elu Thingol and-"
"Please Aldaron, be quiet for a moment." Legolas interrupted, "Who is the victim Teren?"
"The victim is Grimbeorn's son,"Teren replied sadly.
Erulasse
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 22, 2009 05:32
"Is he yet alive?" Naerwen asked
"Sadly, no," Teren replied. "He passed away just a few minutes before I arrived. The healers could do nothing for him."
Legolas turned to the village and sighed. This was far more serious than he had first assumed. These beasts were aiming to kill.
His thoughts were interrupted when Teren said "Grimbeorn has had a place prepared for you." He will send for you tomorrow morning to seek an audience. If you will follow me," Teren led the Elves to a small hut near the outside of the village. They tethered their horses to a post outside the hut, gave them water, and bid Grimbeorn goodnight.
Upon entering the small structure, the Elves found that four makeshift beds had been prepared for them; a large basket full of fruit and a pitcher of fresh water rested on a small table in the center of the room. After having a bit to eat they retired to their beds where they soon fell asleep, eyes opened, prepared should they have to awaken quickly.
Oreleth
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 29, 2009 05:53
Their sleep was undisturbed until early the next morning. Just as the sun was in the horizon, they were awoken to the sounds of much shouting. The sat up quickly. Teren rushed in, "Darkheart has been seen not five minutes ago. Many of us are off to hunt, and kiil, that foul beast. Do you wish to join in the hunt?"
Barawen turned to Legolas, "you are the Prince, what is your choice?"
curufinwefeanor13
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 09, 2009 06:36
Aldaron ran out of the hut not waiting to hear Legolas' reply. Aldaron would hunt no matter what Legolas would say. Aldaron untied Nimdal from the post and led him to a grazing area Nimdal quickly began to graze. Aldaron turned to look into the village, the Beornings were gathering all the necessities for the hunt.
After a little while the elves and Teren came out of the hut. Legolas looked annoyed.
"We have decided to join the hunt, Aldaron," Legolas said, "We will meet with Grimbeorn to discuss our tactics, for Darkheart is no normal stag."
Aldaron just nodded saying nothing. Teren led the Elves to a great hall in the center of the village. Suddenly two full grown Beornings, who were obviously twins, came into the village shouting in common, they carried bows and spears.
"The accursed beast senses the hunt and lies hidden," said one.
"But we shall drive it from its haven," said the other.
"Who are they?" Aldaron asked Teren.
"They are the twin sons of Grimbeorn, Erik and Cedrik," Teren replied, "They are as strong as two normal men and in their bear skin they are as strong as five!"
"Bear skin?" asked Aldaron.
"All the descendants of Beorn may take on the form of a bear," said Teren as if everyone should know. "Now come."
Aldaron walked into the hall to see a man sitting at the head of a table with a woman next to him, most likely Grimbeorn and his wife. Around the table was also a man that looked like a kinsman to Grimbeorn and a younger woman next to him.

Erulasse
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 05, 2009 09:32
((sorry I took so long.))

As the Elves entered, Grimbeorn stood. He was an older man with a wise look about him. Dark circles rimmed his eyes; he had been up all night with his dying son. "Welcome fair folk to my home." he said. "I am Grimbeorn, leader of these people."
"Greetings Grimbeorn," Legolas spoke steping forward, "I am Legolas, son of Thranduil, and these are my compainions." He introduced each of them and they bowed thier heads in turn. "We thank you for last night's hospitality and we offer our condolences for your loss. We only wish we could have arrived sooner to help."
Grimbeorn bowed his head, "Thank you, but I'm afraid not even the power of the firstborn could have helped him; he was terribly wounded. "His wife began to sob quietly beside him. Grimbeorn took her hand in his and shushed her quietly. He handed her over to her ladies and she left the room. "It has been especially hard on my wife," he said, "the loss of a loved one is something no one wishes to endure. And we have not even the hide of the beast who did this. My son was a strong and cunning man Prince Legolas; if he could not survive the attack of the beast, I do not know many who can. More of my people will be killed if he can not be stopped."
curufinwefeanor13
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 12, 2010 03:31
"And it will be stopped!" declared Aldaron. "My prince has agreed to join the hunt."

"How do you think to do that, fair elf?" the man who looked very much like Grimbeorn asked.

"Do you have a map?"

"Of course." Grimbeorn said. "You, boy, bring this Prince Legolas and his companions a map." The boy ran to do Grimbeorn's bidding.

The boy brought the map up to Aldaron, and Aldaron began to explain his well thought out plan. They would form three groups. One group to move Darkheart out of hiding, the other to hunt him as he runs out of hiding, and the third could defend the camp.

"You will lead the group that runs Darkheart out of hiding," Legolas said once Aldaron was done describing his plan.

Aldaron could feel himself getting annoyed, but no matter how young Legolas was he was still the prince. "As you wish, my prince," he said.

"Now who will volunteer for the others?" Legolas asked. "I will lead the main hunt, along with Lord Grimbeorn if he so pleases."

Grimbeorn nodded. "My family will split up, my niece and brother will stay here to guard the camp and Cedrik and Erik will join Lord Aldaron. Regolith, as future leader of the Beornings I would appreciate you joining me and Prince Legolas, but you may choose to do as you wish."

(OOC:If anyone wants me to edit anything just ask.)

[Edited on 6/13/2010 by curufinwefeanor13]
vendenuisil
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 14, 2010 03:27
A man sat at the table with Grimbeorn, ragged hair a shade darker than his father's, but the same broad nose and dark eyes marked him as one of Beorn's line. He seemed lost in thought for the better part of the conversation and when at last he cleared his throat it seemed only in response to his name. A deep breath to clear his thoughts, and at long last he dislodged his gaze from where it had been fixed, boring into the wood on the table as if the answer to their problems might be found within the planks.

He considered the visitors, these elves. He did not trust in the charity of Mirkwood, nor did he see why strangers would offer their help to kill Braveheart. But he felt this wasn't the place to inquire into the matter.

As he looked at the more familiar faces surrounding him, all white-knuckled fists and too-eager calls to the hunt, he knew there was no escaping it. The deaths his people had suffered made them all nearly as vengeful as Darkheart, as if with a change of his name he were some other stag, a villain they had never known of until these tragedies. If only that were the case.

“I will do as you have asked,” Regolith replied, “To pacify the souls of the deceased and the grieving, and to end Braveheart's madness. I will hunt with you, father.”
Carandra
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 16, 2010 08:48
(OOC: if anything needs to be altered, just let me know.. either comment in the OOC thread, or pm me)

Seldom arose a situation so dire that the Lady Galadriel summoned the Wanderer of Lothlórien from her task. But circumstances found several heralds riding hard across different territories until she had been found and instructed to return to Lorien with them.

Mithennor Aldarhíril, almost immediately after having returned to Lothlórien was given a new task by her Lady. After hard riding that pushed both her and her horse, Telperin, to the brink of exhaustion, she had reached the realm of Mirkwood where darkness was once again stirring, and starting to spread. It was no small amount of concern that drove her there. How the Lady Galadriel had come to know of this, she did not know, nor did she ask. The woods which she had cause to visit before now held a different feeling to them, more than oppressive and with an evil that was nearly palpable, she hesitated a moment before entering.

She had been to the realm of the Mirkwood before, and after reaching the hall of the Elven king, she had been told that she was to go straightaway to a small village not too far away and there she was to find the others set to the task. She had not been told much, but she caught snatches. The prince of the Realm was there, as well as a small number of other elves. And there had been a death, though whose she did not catch. She knew it was not an elf... surely it wasn’t one of the Beornings of which she had heard of?

She knew very little of this people, they weren’t friendly to dwarves (and who could blame them? She applauded thier excellent judge of character in that respect), they generally weren’t trusting of outsiders (which might prove to be a hindrance), and they could turn into bears when needed. She doubted they would trust her at all. The elves of Mirkwood atleast shared a boundary with them, as well as common enemies. She was considered an outsider by most of her kind.

She approached the village warily, and judging by the stirrings and the number of houses outside one particular house, she deemed that was where she should be. She rode up, dismounted, and tried to slip as unobtrusively inside as possible. She had caught the tail-end of a conversation and plan of action. She paused while a man at a table spoke, and then she walked up to Legolas and another elf with whom he had been conversing and interjected herself.

“Greetings Lord Legolas” at this she bowed her head and inclined it again to the other ellon, as well as the Beornings who were there.

“I am Mithennor, sent from Lothlórien by the Lady of Light to aid you in this great task, in whatever way you need”
Mon coeur est genre, mais je suis un monster. (My heart is kind, but I am a monster.)
Erulasse
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 17, 2010 06:02
Everyone was quite startled when the newcomer spoke. So engrossed in Aldaron's plan, not even the other Elves had heard her enter. Legolas turned from Aldaron and looked at Mithennor strangely. He had heard of the Wanderer of Lothlórien, an elf sent by the lady Galadriel to aid in the quests of others, but surely this elleth could not be her. And yet it must be; for why else would the Lady of the Golden Wood send her? Legolas nodded his head in acknowledgment. He felt awkward in the situation. As a Prince he was used to receiving many introductions in his court, but Mithennor's entrance was strange, and here, he was in the hall of another. Not knowing what to say next, he was relieved when Grimbeorn stood.

"Welcome fair one to my hall. It seems that our troubles are well known to your kind, and for that, I am most joyful." The company of Elves looked at him skeptically. Grimbeorn laughed at their confusion. "You seem perplexed as to why I would welcome your company so openly. We Beornings are a people of peace. We kill no living creature for food. We have limited experience in hunting, and few weapons. For my people to hunt Darkheart alone, I admit would not end well. Your skills with sword and bow are a great source of hope to us." The elves nodded in understanding.

Legolas stepped forward. "Your people are of a great and strong house. We consider it an honor to aid you."

Grimbeorn smiled. "I thank you Prince Legolas." Turning to Narerwen, Barawen, and Mithennor, he asked "And what will be your choice fair ones?"

"They will stay and guard the camp," Legolas said. Naerwen turned and sent a questioning look at Legolas. She had expected him to ask her to go with him. She was a little miffed but composed herself enough to reply.

"We will be happy to stay with your brother and niece."

"Good, very good" Grimbeorn said. Then let us go and set about preparing."
Carandra
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 26, 2010 07:08
Mithennor didn't say anything, she had been sent to aid. She nodded her agreement, and then remembering something, she walked over to the small bag she had lain on the ground near the door when she entered. She took a small, sealed letter out of it.

“I also come baring a letter for Barawen. I am afraid you are being called away for another urgent matter. I do not know the particulars” she said as she handed it to the elleth. She cracked the seal, read it and her eyes widened. She said some quick goodbyes and left to get the rest of her things and return to where she was needed.

"I am sorry to have removed another of our number, but that shouldn't alter the plans any, atleast as far as I understand them. Naerwen, we should probably discuss the particulars of our task. What say you?"

the elleth looked a little put out at being told she was to stay and guard. Mithennor understood and even shared some of the sentiment, but there was not much to be done that would not hinder the task. Besides, if Darkheart was as cunning as everyone supposed, then he might think the village the weakest target and come for them. Which would prove interesting.
Mon coeur est genre, mais je suis un monster. (My heart is kind, but I am a monster.)
Erulasse
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 19, 2010 02:21
Naerwen turned to Mithennor and nodded. Those assembled in the hall had moved into groups to discuss their part in Aldaron's plan. Grimbeorn's brother and niece made their way over to the two elves.
"Greetings, Naerwen and Mithennor; I am Bowen, brother of Grimbeorn," the man bowed his head in greeting, "and this is my daughter Ceridwen." The young woman also tilted her head in acknowledgment. Naerwen studied the two Beornings. Bowen was of strong build with dark hair and a stern but friendly face. His daughter was also dark haired and was quite beautiful, even by Elven standards. Her examination of the two was interrupted when Bowen spoke.
"I think it would be best to start by showing you around our camp." He motioned to the door and they stepped out.

The camp consisted mainly of small wooden houses and a few huts like the one they had stayed in the night before. Everything was simple, but well built and sturdy. The meeting hall they had just come from was north of the rest of the buildings. In the far west of the camp there were gardens which were filled with flowers and many hives where the famous bees of Beorn still lived and made honey for his descendant's. To the east were the stables where the ponies and horses were kept,as well as a few small structures for the people's dogs. As they walked, Bowen explained the relationship that Beornings had with animals and how the animals served and helped them. After throughly surveying the camp, the group decided the best place to station themselves during the hunt would be in the hall. As they made their way back to the hall, they saw Grimbeorn and the others exiting.

[Edited on 3/8/2010 by Erulasse]
Carandra
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 02, 2010 12:51
The village was small, but not made to be easily fortified, and Mithennor was now contemplating the most effective means of securing the area with minimal disruption. She sat at the table, her fingers tented in front if her face as she stared into the fire.

they had agreed that there should be a patrol, two of them at a time, paired off; Naerwen and Ceridwen with Mithennor pairing with Bowen. At the moment, Naerwen and Ceridwen were out, though not for much longer. The moon had set and thus far everything had been quiet. Bowen also sat still by the fire, his thoughts were unknown, though Mithennor was fairly certain she knew where they centered.

Suddenly, someone let out a cry of warning. They both sprang to their feet and ran outside, drawing bows as they went.
Erulasse
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 10, 2010 12:07
Naerwen let out another cry of warning as the stag charged towards her. She fired her bow and her arrow flew true, piercing the beast's shoulder, but it just kept coming. She jumped out of its path just in time as it plowed on. Realizing he had missed, Darkheart turned and charged again. Naerwen swung up onto the low roof of one of the huts and drew her bow again. The stag reared up and unable to reach her, turned and ran from the elf towards Ceridwen who was trying to knock an arrow to her bow. Naerwen fired another shot and missed when the animal suddenly swerved. Ceridwen's arrow also flew from her bow but was fired by an inexperienced archer and merely grazed the animal's leg which only irritated it further.

Just as the stag seemed about to spear Ceridwen, Naerwen fired another arrow and it pierced the stag's back. He jumped back in pain and then suddenly turned and ran into the forest.

Ceridwen ran and scrambled up onto the roof with Naerwen. Just as she opened her mouth to comment on the beast's fast retreat into the trees, the forest began to rustle and the ground started to shake.

"What is it?" Ceridwen asked. Naerwen stared into the trees and her eyes widened when she saw the huge number of spiders coming at them.

"Run!" she screamed. They jumped down from the roof and ran for the hall when they saw Bowen and Mithennor running towards them.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email