Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
Post Quote of the Week -9/23/09 Of The Sun and Moon
on: September 23, 2009 02:46
But Tilion was wayward and uncertain in speed , and held not tp his appointed path; and he sought to come near to Arien, being drawn by her splendour, though the flame of Anar scorched him, the the island of the moon was darkened.

I have a couple of reasons for choosing this quote;

- Do you notice any similarity here between Tilion and Thingol?

- I find it interesting how Tolkien managed to work in the phases of the moon and eclipses; something that couldn't have occurred had both just followed their appointed paths - one for day and one for night.
belldoras
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: Quote of the Week -9/23/09 Of The Sun and Moon
on: April 21, 2012 05:30
Both were lovestruck. Tilion moons over Arien and gets his wings eclipsed in the process. while Thingol meets his wife(Melian) to be in the woods, is enchanted and falls in love with her. 200 years of enchanted love well!

lizandroll_the_troll
Council Member
Send Message
I find Tolkien's explanation for the paths of the sun and moon perfectly charming. Other lore seems to neglect either the moon's "wayward" path or the power the two have over our emotions. I find the quote,
"At the first rising of the sun the Younger Children of Iluvitar awoke in the land of Hildorien in the eastward regions of Middle Earth; but the sun first arose in the West, and the opening eyes of Men were turned towards it, and their feet as they wandered over the Earth for the most part strayed that way"
particularly poignant.

The Elves are tied to love of the stars and differentiated their groups by those who had or had not seen the light of the Trees in Valinor. The moon becomes their delight as it symbolizes memory and refined beauty--the earlier light from the first tree. For them, the West is tied to the Valar, rest, and perfection.

Men come with the second light--one which burns fiercely and causes those of the dark dismay. But when the light disappears it seems forever extinguished. Men desire that light and come westward seeking its strength. The west calls to them, even though many never realize what lies beyond the sea.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email