Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Spragh
Council Member
Send Message
Post Land of Mordor before Sauron
on: December 18, 2009 12:14
What was in Mordor before Sauron...Orcs,Trolls,Dragons...dont know.Was that ugly Mt.Doom there before?The chain of mountains was there for shore,but Nurn and the darkness...dont know again.Anybody knows?
Shiranui
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Land of Mordor before Sauron
on: December 18, 2009 03:56
Here's information on Mordor:
http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/m/mordor.html

As far as I know, there is next to nothing known about what it was like before evil came, not even what it was called. Sauron chose it as his stronghold because of Mt. Doom, where he 'used the fire that welled there from the heart of the earth in his sorceries and his forging'. The fact that it is almost completely surrounded by mountains probably influenced his decision to fortify there as well.

This makes me sad, because I'm quite curious about what Mordor was like as well. For some reason I've always imagined it as lush and beautiful valley. There's no particular reason why except that it makes Sauron's occupation and corruption of the land that much more tragic.

[Edited on 12/19/2009 by Shiranui]
Spragh
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 18, 2009 11:56
I agree with you,it is sad.Every land that those dark influences infest are in constant pain.It is strange for me that all region's around Mordor were inhabited before Sauron came and Mordor was not.Maybe some other men lived there,i mean,it is a good location for a stronghold.And maybe Sauron then conquered them but nobody knows nothing of it.But...if that Mt Doom was there,i doubt that the land was lush,if the vulcano was active before Sauron.If it was not,it was the most fertile land of all,we all know that the lands around Vulcano that become unactive and after the spilling of the lava become most fertile.All in all,it is a mistery...

[Edited on 19/12/2009 by Spragh]
cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
on: December 20, 2009 04:02
Only the Plain of Gorgoroth and Lithlad (the ash plain east of Mt Doom) are barren which suggests that the main winds in northern Mordor are east/west, keeping the plume of ash in that area. Such rain as falls on these lava-plains will drain away rapidly as lava is very porous.

The Sea of Nurnen in the south of Mordor is bitter, and probably fed partly from underground waters from the lava-plains. However, the land around Nurnen and especially the area called Nurn in the south-west are very fertile. Their populations were enslved by Sauron and made to raise food for the orc forces. After the War of the Ring, Aragorn set the slaves free and gave them the land there for their own.
cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
* bump
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email