Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
So Cenor, what is Victorian line dance? I haven't heard of it before & it sounds interesting!
& Lindarielwen, I don't have any square dance near me either. I think it's pretty much gone out of style, even in the South. It's such a shame.
"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13, NIV I'm a fanfiction writer and appreciate reviews! Check me out at https://www.fanfiction.net/u/6434280/BlueberryMuffins76
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
There is a song and video by Taylor Swift called *Love Story* I believe it shows Victorian line dancing.

I looked up Central Florida square dancing and have found many clubs in my area and throughout the state. The western stores down here have sections devoted to square dance clothes so clubs had to be down here somewhere. All I had to do was look it up. I am not interested in square dancing but I like to watch it.
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I danced for many years, about ten, I think, before I stopped. There were so many other school activities that I got into.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Thanks, Lindarielwen! I will have to look that up! & it's nice to know you have spare dance in Florida, even if you don't wish to participate. I understand about not having time!
Actually, I make dancing one of my priorities. Like I've mentioned before, it's really the only form of exercise I actually enjoy & will do (besides hula hooping lol). I'm really blessed because I usually get to dance 3 nights a week, all for free! I also have access to lots of music so I can dance at home whenever I want, & not to mention youtube! I'd probably dance every single night if I could.
& Maxie, if you ever want to PM me go ahead! You too, Lindarielwen!
"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13, NIV I'm a fanfiction writer and appreciate reviews! Check me out at https://www.fanfiction.net/u/6434280/BlueberryMuffins76
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
I can't describe it...you will have to look it up on youtube or something. I have a friend that does clog dancing...don't ask me I have no clue.
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Perhaps the clog dancing is clogging? I sued to do that & it's almost like tap dancing except it's usually done to more country music. I think the only two songs I ever really enjoyed were "I'm a Nut" & "Sleigh Ride", which I think were the only two that weren't actually country. But now I'm learning to appreciate country a bit more.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
What style of music do you like, Blue? I am a former rocker who just got sick of the lyrics and I do not like *pop* with all the twerking. I am now totally into country music. You like cowboys so give country a try. It is not the same country it was 10 years ago. The lyrics mean something and how can you not like the guys in cowboy hats? Lots do wear the backward baseball caps though. This country girl loves country music.
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
My absolute favorite music is big band and swing from the '20's through the '40's. I would really like to learn the swing dance that goes with it; 12th Street Rag is the only dance I know from that period.
I also enjoy most Celtic music, although I'm not a fan of the Celtic rock, or any other rock for that matter. I guess that's kind of obvious since I'm a Scottish dancer lol
Sometimes I'll get in an opera mood; the Messiah is my favorite, although I love Carmen as well. So yes, I do enjoy most classical, but sometimes it makes me sleepy so I don't like it as well.
And I love pretty much all the music in LOTR & the Hobbit, probably because a lot of it has either Celtic, classical, or opera influence.
I'm also a traditional hymn person.
& you're right; I should try some country. I can tell you I do like Cotton-Eyed Joe for some reason; there's a dance that goes with it. It has several versions & I don't like the folk dance one but I really like the country/western one. It's kind of funny because whenever I do it I always have this mad urge to be dressed in a faded gingham dress with patches, my hair in two braids, barefoot, and some of my teeth blacked out, all with putting on my best Southern accent. I don't really know why, since it's so stereotypical & untrue of the South! & yeah, I am kind of partial to cowboy hats lol
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
I have a friend who is learning to swing dance and he loves it.

Okay, no gingham dress, no blacked out teeth, no braids, and no Southern accent. Check out Tim McGraw (Shotgun Rider) and Brad Paisley (Perfect Storm)
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
I love Celtic music Blue! Adiemus and some Davy Spillane. I can't do Irish but I will I could. With some country songs I want to wear boots, jeans, a yoked shirt, and my cowboy hat.
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Thanks for the recommendations, Lindarielwen! I did find Love Story by Taylor Swift, & it was ok. I liked the lyrics & loved the costumes! & I likely will never dress like that lol
Cenor, I really enjoy Enya & Seagan (sp?). I also like Celtic Tenors. I can't think of anyone else right now & don't listen to it often other than when I'm dancing. For that, there are numerous artists & sometimes the tune is written especially for the dance, other times there are just general songs. The dance music is probably a bit different because 99% of the time it starts with a chord or series of chords so the partners can bow & curtsy to each other. Then there are specific numbers of bars; these dances have eight-bar phrases & the shortest a dance will be is 24 total bars, with would be three phrases. However, it repeats progressively & 24 bars is what the first couple does, then a new 24 bars comes for the next couple to do the same thing, and so on. I think the longest ones are usually about 90 bars, which typically is just everybody doing it for that long. I have heard of one that goes on for a long time, like maybe 400 bars or more.
Your outfit sounds cute! I'd like something like that eventually.
PS let me know if I get too long-winded or boring or off topic!
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Sounds interesting Blue! Your not too longwinded
MaegdenMorille
Council Member
Send Message
Woo! It's awesome to see a topic about dance! I absolutely love dance, its one of my favorite thing next to horses haha. I was part my colleges dance program and took some classes, mostly ballet which I love the most. I had to stop going to school though for financial and person reasons sadly. I really miss it, and the chance to finish the Jazz and Modern class haha
The highlight of it though is meeting all the amazing dancers and being a part of the huge end of semester performance the school puts on. All the dance!

What I really wanna do is to take some belly dancing classes with my friend, and learn ballroom dances, and older dances like you see in movies...just all the dancing really
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Welcome, MaegdenMorille to the Council and this discussion.

I have never taken any dance lessons...I just sort of let myself flow to the music. But I would love to take ballroom dance lessons.

When I was little, my aunt taught me to jitterbug and such fun we had. Is there a difference between *swing* and *jitterbug* ?

Does anyone watch Dancing With The Stars? I am not sure if I consider what they do is *dance*. Seems more to me like gymnastics.
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Hi MaegdenMorille! Ballroom dance, like they do in the old movies, is something I would love to learn too! & I've seen some live belly dance; it's quite interesting & looks kind of fun, although I personally wouldn't do it in public, so there wouldn't be much use in learning it.
& Lindarielwen, from what I know the Jitterbug is a type of swing dance. Swing is just the general term for the 40's big band music & dances - someone correct me if I'm wrong!
Nope, I've never watched Dancing with the Stars. To me it isn't real dancing at all. I saw some live dancing that was like that & while it was interesting I simply did not care for it. They could really do the traditional steps & all it takes is some turns and tricky handholds to make it look really good and professional, but these people did so much more that was rather iffy in my opinion.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
My friend took belly dancing lessons and she was pretty good at it. I cannot move that way.

I have been to the ballet and loved it. I have seen modern dance that was done with just bongos as the music and found that to be very interesting.

The so called dancing on TV is not dancing to me...and I am sure there are those who like it and that is fine. I think what is called dancing on those music award shows is a terrible example to our younglings.

Give me real dancing...Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers...how beautiful they move together.
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Exactly! Fred Astaire & Ginger Rogers were the real deal! Also Gene Kelly was an amazing dancer. & their dancing isn't over the top like modern dancing, a much better example to the younger set! Brigadoon has Gene Kelly, Van Johnson, & Cyd Charise; it's a great musical with lovely dance numbers. I tend to prefer the songs to the dancing but I do enjoy both.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Hello MaegdenMorille!

I have no clue what you are talking about now...have you guys seen the shadow dancers in AGT?
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
So, I'm writing a story that features dances from my International Folk dance class. I am currently trying to find a dance that is fast but at the same time stately; Elvenking Thranduil will do it & I want him to impress his subjects but at the same time keep his regal bearing. Does anyone have ideas for this? And would you like to preview my story here?
And no, I've never watched AGT but I imagine the dances there are similar to "Dancing with the Stars."
This is totally random but I'm learning a new dance that is mostly Jew's harp for the music. It actually has two parts; the music pauses in between them so instead of an A-B format it's more like A-A-A-pause-B-B-B. The first part is rather straightforward but the second part is much more complicated. It reminds me of Snoopy from Peanuts.
One more random tidbit: I've written a Scottish Country dance about the Elvenking. Unfortunately, there haven't been enough couples to try it out yet so I have no idea if it works or not. I'm hoping to write several more Middle Earth-themed dances.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
To me, a waltz is the most elegant dance. Perhaps that can be incorporated in some way into Thranduil's dance. The tempo can be picked up.

I am not sure if this is the place to preview your story. Maybe in the writers forum? I would like to read it.

What is AGT?

You have been so busy with the dances. Can two females try the Scottish Country dance if you cannot get a male/female pair?
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Ok, I chatted with someone & they also suggested a waltz. I think that's a good idea, although I was kind of hoping for something without a partner. But I shall see! Thanks!
I wasn't sure about putting a preview on here either! So I will PM it to all who wish to read it.
AGT is America's Got Talent, as far as I know.
And yes, two females dancing together in Scottish dance is extremely common where I am because we can't get enough men. It used to be so bad that someone would bring a bag of ties for the ladies on the man's side, just so we could tell them apart. Thankfully my group has evened out a bit. And there's actually a dance called Reel of the 51st that should ideally be danced by only men. It was written in I think WW2 in a concentration camp just so the men had something to do. They kept on trying to send the dance out so it could be published, but their captors intercepted each time because they thought it was a code planning some sort of escape!
PSK
Council Member
Send Message
I like dance, but I am a typical Indian so its Bhangra all the way...
"Tears unnumbered ye shall shed; and the Valar will fence Valinor against you, and shut you out, so that not even the echo of your lamentation shall pass over the mountains." ~ The Doom of Mandos
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
I decided on something similar to the Scottish sword dance. I was inspired by Brigadoon, a favorite musical. I even like the dancing in it; I actually prefer songs in musicals over dances, I guess because the dances are really just choreography most of the time instead of actual dances. I was kind of disappointed when I learned the Landler in the Sound of Music was really just a compilation of dance moves made for the movie. Anyway, I feel the sword dance is both regal and impressive.
PSK, I am not familiar with Bhangra but I definitely should look it up! It sounds interesting. You mean India, right?
I'm acquainted with someone from Turkey, I believe, & she's a skilled dancer; I once watched her & a member from my dance class dance together, clicking spoons, shimmying, and all sorts of cool moves. It was fascinating & she made it look so easy!
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
I just thought everyone might like to know that I finally got to dance the Scottish Country dance I wrote! I think it came out pretty well & hopefully I can write more soon. If anyone has any inspiration for me, feel free to PM it or something! I figured if there are Harry Potter dances, there should totally be LOTR dances! Unfortunately, last night was my last Scottish class for the year, which makes me sad. I guess I shall have to do more dancing at home!
PSK
Council Member
Send Message
Bhangra music has the best beat, and I love the dance. Even if you don't want to learn it, look it up, it's really cool!
"Tears unnumbered ye shall shed; and the Valar will fence Valinor against you, and shut you out, so that not even the echo of your lamentation shall pass over the mountains." ~ The Doom of Mandos
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
I did look up Bhangra! I found the moves quite fascinating, although the music style was not quite my cup of tea. I am not a drum person; sure, if they are used in the right way they can enhance the beauty of the music, and when I dance it certainly is easier when something keeps the beat! However, I prefer for them to stay in the background.
I think I'll be suffering from dance withdrawal next week. I realized I won't have either of the two classes to which I've become so accustomed! I saw a pin on pinterest that said "My kitchen is for dancing" and I will certainly make use of this statement. Looks like Dean Martin with his Mambo Italiano & Sway will have to come out yet again sometime soon! Thankfully I also have access to Folk Dance music, although Scottish will have to wait for next year :O
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
Ooh, I just noticed this topic!
Blueberry, I totally imagine the elven court dancing something like the English Longways - a very typical dance style for England in the late 17th - through to the 19th centuries. Here's a very good example that hasn't been ruined by film choreographers (too much) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Agn9zkpt6Lo It's called Sir Isaac Maggot (if I remeber the spelling correctly). This is a very stately dance, but there are some that are much more spirited.

I will drop out of the common dance style here as the dance that I am doing is the early one - Medieval and Renaissance... And also Latvian folk dance.I like the early dance because it is so different from other later styles - you have to be very independent, every dancer has their part to do (and for the most part it doesn't matter what gender you have). Contrary to a popular belief, the early dance is neither slow nor is it limited to a stately gliding over the dance floor And Latvian folk dance is physically quite demanding, it's fast and a lot of fun

We still remember, we who dwell In this far land, beneath the trees The starlight on the Western seas...
In the Realm of Ulmo
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Thanks! I love Scottish & English country dances like that; I should incorporate them in, probably even the one I've written! I was searching for something Thranduil could do alone, so I decided on the Scottish sword dance: I figured he needed the spotlight.
Bare Necessities (an English dance, not from the Jungle Book lol) is beautiful, one of my favorites, & maybe I'll include that as well. I think you can find it on youtube.
I'll have to see if we do any Latvian dances; most of the time I have no clue what country the dance is from, although England, Scotland, & Israel seem to be the most distinctive (I probably pay closer attention to them since they're my faves!).
Strip the Willow was written somewhere in the 16th or 17th century or so; it's fairly fast & dizzying because the active couple literally turns every single other person. So fun!
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
I know Strip The Willow, it is indeed quite a challenge not to get lost in it, especially when learning it Are you familiar with Newcastle? It's from the same period, quite complicated, but it gives you such satisfaction when you manage to get through it, and correctly at that!
We still remember, we who dwell In this far land, beneath the trees The starlight on the Western seas...
In the Realm of Ulmo
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
No, I've never heard of that one! Unfortunately, my Scottish group is low on people (we get excited if there are 3 couples lol) & with International Folk sometimes the few real men refuse to do the couple/partner type dances. But I'll definitely have to look that up & at least watch it!
Once my group tried a Scottish dance that was totally terrifying; we almost crashed into each other on numerous occasions! I'm sure it would look really amazing if we actually knew what we were doing & got to the right place at the right time. It featured three people doing a reel (which is basically a figure eight with each person starting from a different point but moving at the same time) & the other three people had to go in between the reeling people, so everyone was in the same area at the same time! I don't think we ever tried that one again lol
OneSizeFitsAll
Council Member
Send Message
Hey! Just noticed this thread. Another Scottish dancer here! I do it with a group of friends every month or so.
Image"The Corrupteds are going to wake up and find that they are strong." -Cenor
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
I know! I still wish we had more people in my group, but oh well. At least we have enough to meet most nights!
& just so ya'll know, I broke out Dean Martin & some International music a bit ago & had a jam session with my mom in the kitchen; really the only place in our house we can dance, & even then we still can't do some.
Sarniel
Council Member
Send Message
I dance flamenco, and I used to do pole dancing for a while (the fitness kind, not the stripping kind), but Ive always wanted to learn Latin American dances, but cant seem to find a male partner willing to dance
"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Oh, those sound fun! I've been learning how to mambo, which originated in Cuba & is the forefather of salsa. It's so fun! I can't find a male partner either so I usually end up dancing with my mom
Sarniel
Council Member
Send Message
At least you have someone to dance with, at this point I'd pretty much dance with a broom if the broom would give its consent but seriously, mambo sounds fun too.
"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email