Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
findemaxam48 said:... or tests on the material you have learned: in my case, Regents exams.

Ah yes, the dear old Regents exams, I remember them well (we lived in Port Washington, North Shore of Long Island, at that time).
Regents exams can be decisive, though my example is probably an extreme exception to the rule. I was bilingual when my family and I came to the US in 1966 (when I jumped to 6th grade). In 7th and 8th grade, I took German classes at the Goethe Institute (Saturdays, when the cartoons were on - SHRIEK!!!). After 8th grade, we moved to Port Washington. That ended the German lessons, not just because of the greater distance, but also because they said that I was at least two classes ahead of all others (we continued to speak German at home).
Anyway, I was allowed to take the Regents Exam in German in 10th grade. Scored 97% (the odd gap in I forget what prevented 100%). That gave me three YEARS of credit with an A+ score, certainly helped my final graduation score (44th of about 540 people in the class).
Amusing aside note: the German teacher in the high school told me later that he had never sweated over an exam correction as he had over my Regents. My vocabulary was simply larger than his, and he was consulting the dictionary quite a bit.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I just took a regents in Enriched Global Studies today. Two more tomorrow!

In NYS, you have to have at least one year of foreign language, which means one foreign language credit. I now have three for French, and will have five high school credits and three college ones in French by the time I graduate, and then two high school credits in Spanish when I graduate. You also need one art or music (I have four already.)
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
elven_fencer
Council Member
Send Message
findemaxam48 said:Thats so wierd! Especially since it's technically illegal not to do any form of school!

Believe me, I know. The only way to even try to verify learning is tests and attendance records. And like I said, there are people out there who take advantage of this.
ImageImage
elven_fencer
Council Member
Send Message
[b]Gandolorin said:
Amusing aside note: the German teacher in the high school told me later that he had never sweated over an exam correction as he had over my Regents. My vocabulary was simply larger than his, and he was consulting the dictionary quite a bit.

That's funny! I've always wanted to learn German, but it's tough to get motivated to do it everyday, even if I could find a way to learn it on my own.
ImageImage
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Try Rosetta Stone, Fencer. Its a good study tool for me and I'll be using it more as I tackle my third language...
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
elven_fencer
Council Member
Send Message
What is your second language?
ImageImage
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
My first and primary is English, second French, and I will be going on to my third, Spanish. I also know Sindarin, if that counts. You need at least one foreign language credit in NYS. That is usually acheived in middle school, but you can choose to continue on and add more if you'd like.
elven_fencer
Council Member
Send Message
That is so cool.

Technically, I am supposed to have a language course too, but my mom has not gotten around to it yet.

[Edited on 06/24/2014 by elven_fencer]
ImageImage
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
I'm supposed to be teaching myself Spanish. Supposed to be. What subjects do you enjoy Elven Fencer?
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
elven_fencer
Council Member
Send Message
I really like Physics. I'm weird that way. I also like history, but not the way the textbooks teach it. What about you?
ImageImage
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Oh yes I love History. We study history by reading books. Have you read G.A. Henty? I also write. Some during school but mostly after because I'm writing a book with a friend.
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
elven_fencer
Council Member
Send Message
No, never heard of him...

What kind of book are you writing?
ImageImage
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Historical fiction writer. Lived in England died before the World Wars. He tends to be repetitive and takes the British side in his War for Independance book.

It's about an underground world run by a power hungry man who captures people from the Overworld (that is why people fanish all those Missing signs) and enslaves them. He is planning to destroy America through counterfeiting and spreading a crop disease.

I've started others set in my fantasy world.
elven_fencer
Council Member
Send Message
Of course he takes the sides of the Brits. Does sound interesting though. Always good to know both sides.

Wow, that sounds really cool! The scary thing is, something like that might actually happen, if we're not careful.
ImageImage
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
I know after his book about William Wallace and Robert Bruce I hated the English for what they did to Wallace. Mattr of fact I still do.

Hmm now that you say that it does seem scary. We have some pretty intense stuff, whiping, torture (not much, battle, and death.

Hey I'd love to PM with you if you want.
elven_fencer
Council Member
Send Message
Your story sounds really awesome though!

Okay, that sounds good!
ImageImage
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Right now my co-author and I are reworking the beginning.

What books are you reading currently?
OneSizeFitsAll
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: Homeschool
on: August 16, 2014 02:45
Umm...I know that this forum has spun a little off topic (), but I just thought I'd drop in and say 'Hi! I'm home schooled too!'
Image"The Corrupteds are going to wake up and find that they are strong." -Cenor
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Hmmmm it has...another homeschooler! ((Love the avi by the way.))
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Everybody on CoE seems to be homeschooled.
OneSizeFitsAll
Council Member
Send Message
@Cenor: Aww, thanks...glad you like it!
@findemaxam: Ha ha...maybe it's because homeschoolers tend to have more time for this type of thing? I don't know...
Image"The Corrupteds are going to wake up and find that they are strong." -Cenor
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Or maybe we can call this school. Lets see, languages, world history, thinking games, writing, "socialization" , and much more. Yup, school.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
findemaxam48 said:Everybody on CoE seems to be homeschooled.

Whoa! Careful with the everyXXX statements, Missy! In the scientific method, one occurrence contradictory to them falsifies them. Leave them to the politicians, we know they lie to beat the band.
Heard this politician "joke"?
Watching a politician making statements on TV:
"There he goes, lying again."
"The sound is turned off, you don't know what he said, so how do you know?"
"His lips moved!"
My point being, I ain't homeschooled.

[Edited on 08/19/2014 by Gandolorin]
OneSizeFitsAll
Council Member
Send Message
@Cenor: I love you! XDDD Yes, yes...this definitely qualifies as school. Now I just have to convince my mom of that fact...
Oh, and by the way, I like your new signature. Is that from one of your stories? I love dragons... (At least, I'm guessing it's talking about a dragon?)
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Oh and I forgot Math. E+2E=3DM (One Elf plus two Elves equals three dead mumakil)

Yes it is from my dragon short story. I like dragons too.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Well, howdy again! Nice to see more homeschoolers posting in here...

If I have kids if/when I get married(and I want to have kids) I'm going to homeschool them, and they will most likely have to read LotR and The Hobbit as part of their school...maybe I can even find a good LotR alphabet school book! I found a Star Wars one that I really like, too.
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Gando: Sorry for defying the concepots of Math or Science. I should know that stuff; like logic and statement reasoning and other things Geometry. Blech.

Mareth, if you can't find a LOTR alphabet book, I'll write one for you!
OneSizeFitsAll
Council Member
Send Message
@Cenor: It sounds cool...now I want to read the whole thing!
@Mareth: If you put LotR and Hobbit in your kids' literature classes, I have a feeling that that might become the only books in their lit class that year.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
My mom stopped all school for two weeks to do a literature study of LOTR. We watched the movies when my sister was out of the house or asleep.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Now I know that homeschooled as meant here means that your formal education (I assume up to the high school diploma level) takes place at home. More widely, one could includes C.S. Lewis's most formative teaching by a private teacher (and so not in a formalized educational institution) here.

But what I knew at the end of high school is only a fraction of what I know now.
Everything I now know about theology, psychology, sociology, history, archeology, geology, ethology, evolution, economics, political science, ecology, astronomy, engineering, biology, anthropology, architecture, art, music, literature ...
I have taught myself by reading, books as well as magazines like National Geographic and two German analogs to it, TV programs and quite a few DVDs

So in that sense, I am very much homeschooled - but without a teacher breathing down my neck.

[Edited on 08/22/2014 by Gandolorin]
OneSizeFitsAll
Council Member
Send Message
@Cenor: Wow...you read the entire book in two weeks? O_o It took me more like six months...and I didn't even try to go in depth.
But I do wish my Mom would let me read LOTR for school. That would be so fun.

@Gandolorin: Well, in a less than formal sense, I suppose I am not completely home schooled. I am learning far more math at my work place this year than I am at home. In fact, many of my most valuable skills I learnt at other places other than "home" in its strictest sense.

[Edited on 08/22/2014 by OneSizeFitsAll]
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Oh dear I meant two months, really close to three.

I would call that homeschooling Gando. Some of our greatest Presidents schooled themselves. Hey we learn something new every day.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Winston Churchill hated his public (in England = highly selective private) school. As soon as he was no longer forced to read books for this hated institution, he began reading voraciously. End of it: In 1953 Churchill received the Nobel Prize in Literature for his numerous published works, especially his six-volume (twelve-book - does the relation sound familiar?) set "The Second World War".
(Which I have, and have read - think HoME)
BlueberryMuffins76
Council Member
Send Message
Hey there! For my two cents worth, I was homeschooled up until college. Where I am there were several homeschool co-ops to choose from and I did several classes with them. I took a class on the American Girls series for several years; we would take a semester and focus on one girl at a time. It was so fun to read the books with everyone and do activities that corresponded.
Also, as a senior in high school I did a dual enrollment class (biology) like public school students can do. I must say I have never liked science and it was so amazing to have that class finished when I got into college!
Even though I enjoyed a lot of college, I did always miss being homeschooled. I found the few online classes I took to be nice because they reminded me of my experience with homeschooling.
However, you must be careful with this form of education. Even though I loved being able to do school for a few hours and then had free time (in which I would read in abundance! During the summer literally a book a day, and during the school year likely a few chapters a day at least), it also meant I had to work harder in college because I was not used to that way of doing things. Having deadlines and grades was a new experience! Despite this, if I ever adopt children I would prefer to homeschool them.
"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13, NIV I'm a fanfiction writer and appreciate reviews! Check me out at https://www.fanfiction.net/u/6434280/BlueberryMuffins76
Lily Lindsey-Aubery
Council Member
Send Message
Hi! Here's another proud home-schooler! I'll be graduating this spring, though, which is awesome, and I plan to save up money for a few years *sigh* and then move on to college. I'm very excited about that, although I think, like BlueberryMuffins76 said, that it will be harder since I am not used to that way of doing things.
~Lilylol Incredibly handsome criminal genius and master of all villainy!
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email