Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
Post Horses
on: March 30, 2013 09:18
Hello everyone! I have been thinking about getting a horse. Do any of you have horses? What is the costs of having a horse per month? Like the feed cost. How many acres should u have per horse? Thanks!
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
Post Re: Horses
on: April 01, 2013 07:56
I thought we had a thread about this as well. Hmm... Will have to dig around a bit. I had one up until a couple of years ago. He was old (27) and had Cushing's disease so I had to have him put down. I kept him at more than one place and I'm sure the cost has gone up since I had him. Board (just the roof over his head) was $100/month, mucking out the corral at least 2 x wk cost $35/mo (that was a deal), and feeding was about the same (that's just actually putting the food in his feeder). The cost of food will vary on what you feed the horse, your area, and believe it or not, the cost of fuel (hauling is pricey now with gas so expensive). I would say it will probably be between $250 to $500 a month depending on if you get a "full service" stable or do some of the things yourself. They need to be feed twice a day, corrals mucked at least 2-3 x wk. Preferably on well-drained soil or he or she will be standing in mud when it rains (and when they pee it's about 2 quarts each time!). There are also considerations of vet bills (routine for deworming and vaccinations as well as when - not if - he or she gets sick or injured) and farrier bills for either trimming hooves and/or shoeing. If you don't ride a lot or just have sandy ground, trimming can be adequate. If you ride a lot, he or she has a soft hoof (white is more fragile), or you have rocky ground shoeing at least the back feet becomes important. This occurs around every 6 weeks and again, price is variable. For plain trimming I paid about $30 and for shoeing it was about $60, but you'll have to check your local farriers. If you have only one horse a 10x10 pipe corral is fine, but you need to have a lunge ring or a large one (like a ring you see on horse shows) to exercise them. They need exercise a LOT. Best is riding at least 2-3 x wk, lunging (pronounced like sponging) when you don't ride. If you plan on them just grazing and you have more than one (like 2) I'd say 10 acres of grass, but when the grass is gone (winter if it snows), you'll have to feed them supplemental hay. Hay has to be kept dry or it molds and there are several types - alfalfa (very rich in proteins), oat, and timothy grass. There are also bagged pellets (small and large). They are so much fun, but also a lot of work. The rewards are tremendous, but be really sure you are willing to be out there with them after school and on weekends or the horse will lose muscle tone and training. Best of luck!
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 01, 2013 08:17
Thanks! I plan to keep our horse in our back yard. Our dog, Dafi is dying and though we will miss him so much, we know he is going to be with the Lord. Anyway, we were planning to use the back yard for the horse. It is fairly large. So, there won't be any boarding costs. For the shoeing, Mommy suggested that we go over to our neighbors house and watch them for a few weeks. We as in my dad and I. Then we can do it. There is no problem about time because I am home schooled. I could do school with my horse if i want! I know how to ride because our friends had horses and we rode them all the time. But the food and the bedding and stuff will be expensive.
BelleBayard
Send Message
on: April 01, 2013 08:30
Shoeing isn't that easy unless you have a forge. You have to make certain to get the right size shoe and it needs to fit the hoof or it can cause all sorts of problems. Hopefully, you live in a fairly rural area as riding beside a road can be dangerous with cars whipping by. Horses tend to shy at the strangest things - go by something 1000 times and the 1001st they decide it's going to eat them, crow-hopping and rearing to get away from it. I'd talk to a farrier before you decide to take care of the horse's feet yourself. If you're just trimming it's not so hard, but shoeing is an art. Just think of any uncomfortable shoes YOU'VE worn and realize the horse can't take them off if they pinch or throw his or her weight in the wrong direction. Don't need a lame horse! Talk to those around you who own horses about the cost as they will know best. Oh, and you'll have lots of flies because of the horse poop and pee so you'll want to get plenty of fly traps so they don't come in your house.
RodwenAravilui5136
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 01, 2013 10:01
I really want to have a horse.... I've only ridden a horse 3 times in my life. #1- Kelkenburg farm in Kindergarten #2-Random pony at random fair in random town #3- A horse named Joy at a barn out in the country that I went on a loooong trail ride with. She ended up being dealthy afraid of mud puddles, which were everywhere, and rear-ended me off her back. The owner of the place yelled at me for not calming her down. Like yeah, it's MY fault for being kicked off the back of a horse because of a stupid puddle.....Yeah, so bad 3rd experience....
"While you're doing fine, there's some people and I, who have a really tough time getting through this life so excuse us while we sing to the sky." -Twenty One Pilots
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 02, 2013 11:13
Don't let it discourage you. Horses are amazing. I leased on in high school from my riding instructor, so we got a deal. And I did a bunch of extra work on the side as well to cover some of the cost of boarding and lessons. I think it ended up being less than $300 a month. I can't really remember. Including feed and farrier, ect. But having your own horse to ride and take care of was amazing. A TON of work. But, before that I had been riding any horse that needed it, or my instructor's horse, so having my "own" was cool.
I'd recommend really researching and thinking it over to decided if you're ready for owning. Several acres would be good to give them room for a turnout and grazing room. It helps them relax instead of being cooped up in a stall all day and night. I know how much work the daily upkeep can be, but I feel like it's worth it once you climb on their back. Sorry I can't be of more help with the cost part of it all. Best of luck!!!
I really want to own several horses one day. I love them with my whole heart and soul. Who needs boys when you can have horses? lol!!!!
The men of the east may spell the stars/ and times and triumphs mark/ But the men signed with the cross of Christ/ go gaily in the dark- G.K. Chesterton ~Member of the Realm of Ulmo~ http://clairembanschbach.wordpress.com/
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 03, 2013 05:28
I think i mis-understood what momma said. she meant that we can go watch the farrier but he or she would have to do it. Thanks everyone! any recommended breeds?
BelleBayard
Send Message
on: April 03, 2013 08:01
For cost, truly, a non-papered horse (mixed breed) is good. Any time you go papers you have a lot more money you'll spend. For breeds, quarter horse and/or Arab mixes can be great, but a "mutt" horse is not bad as long as they have been trained. I would recommend a gelding, about 7-10 years old, already broken to saddle (trained completely is best). I would also recommend a vet check the horse to make sure the age is true (they can tell by looking at the teeth) and the confirmation solid so you don't have problems down the road caused by it being bad. Do this BEFORE you buy the horse. Should be even tempered and not barn sour. That happens by letting horse run back home, taking them out for too short of rides - rental horses often have this problem. Definitely recommend having someone work with you on riding lessons and wear a hard hat (not like construction, these are made for English riding and protect your noggin when you fall - not if, but when, because it's inevitable). Wear good shoes around them (never barefoot or sandals, but boots) and be aware, when they step on your feet, it HURTS! Especially if they're shod. I love them. They are amazing creatures and if I could still ride, I have one. But it's not fair to them to just let them stand around in a stall all day. Even with a pasture, they still need plenty of exercise.
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 03, 2013 08:26
i was looking at a saddlebred
Evil~Shieldmaiden
Games Moderator, and Chief Corrupted Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
on: April 03, 2013 10:23
Quote from BelleBayard on April 2, 2013, 06:30
Horses tend to shy at the strangest things - go by something 1000 times and the 1001st they decide it's going to eat them, crow-hopping and rearing to get away from it.

You've got that right! In my case it was a mailbox that somehow became the domicile of a troll.

Wiki has a nice section: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horse_behavior
RodwenAravilui5136
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 03, 2013 11:11
I'm so jealous. I love horses, their amazing creatures, but you guys know SO much about them, and now I feel stupid... I want one, or two, or three...
"While you're doing fine, there's some people and I, who have a really tough time getting through this life so excuse us while we sing to the sky." -Twenty One Pilots
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 04, 2013 07:49
lol!! It's just experience. =)
The men of the east may spell the stars/ and times and triumphs mark/ But the men signed with the cross of Christ/ go gaily in the dark- G.K. Chesterton ~Member of the Realm of Ulmo~ http://clairembanschbach.wordpress.com/
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 04, 2013 08:04
and for me, lot's of research!
EthelynnGreenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 08, 2013 08:03
I LOVE HORSES!!!!! I've ridden horses twice, sadly. But i love them!!!1 <3 I'm jealous of any of you who have a horse.
"A sprinter learning to wait."
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 08, 2013 08:19
then you can't envy me! lol
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 09, 2013 02:29
Ive only ridden a horse a few times and would love to have one, but as I live in Buffalo New York, it will not work. Your lucky, Legolas, that you have the space and time for one. Jealous much!!!
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 09, 2013 04:57
well, we dont have the space for one, i think. OH! guess what! i am taking riding lessons
BelleBayard
Send Message
on: April 09, 2013 09:49
Good way to be around them without all the work! Give it time and perhaps someday you will get your dream to come true. I first bought a horse back in 1977 and owned one from them until 2011-2012. It had been a life-long dream and I finally had the means to get one. Learned so much over the years. Miss the big guys.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 09, 2013 01:35
I thought we needed a picture of a horse. This beauty lives right down the street from me.
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 09, 2013 11:09
Oh my! she is so pretty! thanks for sharing!
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 16, 2013 02:56
Your so lucky to be taking riding lessons!!!!!! There are some camps around here that offer it, but they are quite pricey. Its three- fifty for two classes. For that price, I'll go to Middle Earth and teach myself.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
so i have been taking riding lessons for a while now and it is so fun! the horses name is Beener and he is a quarter horse. she is the same color as the horse above, but without the spots and a black mane. i arrive and the horse is in the stall, meaning, i get to groom, tack, and lunge her all by my self! it is so fun!
Mellwen_Bronwewen
Council Member
Send Message
I LOVE HORSES!!! (But I guess you can't possibly tell by my Avi )
“That there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo… and it’s worth fighting for.” – Sam “Even the smallest person can change the course of the future.” – Galadriel
Maltaquesse Greenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
I've got a tri-color paint filly (3 years old). Her name is April. She's doing really well in her training; we're working on early ridden work now. Having a horse is the best thing that's ever happened to me. It's a lot of work, time, and money, but so worth it in my opinion.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Oh, can you post a pic of April for us? She must be beautiful.

These two live up the road from me. They are part of a herd of seven.

[Edited on 11/30/2015 by Lindarielwen]
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email