Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First4849505152Last >>
Author Topic:
Mr.Panda39
Council Member
Send Message
Thurinlass heard what Bildarion had to say, though the news was not new to the old soldier. So they were being stalked, but it appeared that this enemy was only after a single one of them. Which one however? Twas not himself, he had not enemy nor friend left. Not Itarildë, as far as Thurinlass knew she had been sheltered all her life. Harn returned to the fire and at last Thurinlass saw clearly. The foot of the boy's past was not lame indeed. But Thurinlass shall make it such.

Words of darkness and fear assaulted the air challenging them. Thurinlass strode forward into the darkness and lo, for it was no longer dark! There he stood, tall and proud among his people, ancient as the hills, strong as Taniquetil, serene as the waters, unmoved by the evil before him. And as in the elder days the light of Telperion was kindled in him and the night about shove with pale starlight from the elven form. Then he spoke, and his stern voice echoed in the air, and the trees whispered his words.
"Blacker night these eyes have seen!
"And two Dark Lords this one has faced!
"Thou speaks of what thou knowest not!
"I stand to protect, against this night! I fear you not, though you will learn to fear me!"

Thurinlass finished his challenge and stood there truly without fear. If this whisperer of dark words wished to test his might, the Servent Prince would oblige him.
The sky is afire with wroth, and the rivers are red with blood.
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
Írimë looked up sharply when Thurinlass retrieved his bow.
"Yes, stories indeed." He said, "But ere we hear any, we must make one of our own! Gather around the fire close now, and draw what weapons you have. I have brought two swords for any unarmed of us. Feed the fire with all we have left to us, and stand facing outwards. There is an evil here I can no longer abide. I would have it drawn out to us!"

The maiden stood quickly with the others as they began to draw weapons. She threw the remaining wood on the fire and watched it blaze brightly for a moment. Her twin swords reflected the light as she drew them forth. One was a golden blade, with designs like the sun, and burned as a flame when it pierced flesh. The other was silvery frost blue, like cold moonlight, and pierced with a freezing cold. It was called Gailrussë. She had owned the blades for as long as she could remember, though she didn't know where she had gotten them. Turning around, she stood with the others and faced the darkness. Itarildë caught her eye and gave the barest of nods. Írimë's eyes darted around at the forest, trying to make out what hunted them. Evil words whispered into her mind.

"Darkness and vile haunt your path
Protection is ripped away
Night shall take you
One by one
You think you are brave and strong
But you have not met Fear yet"

She felt the darkness surround her, choke her soul. The swords fell from her limp hands and she sank to the ground, too weak to stand. Life seemed to drain from her, leaving nothing but a leaf quivering in the wind. Then her eyes fell upon Adonnenniel. The maiden huddled against a log, looking pale and frightened. Írimë pulled herself over to the other Elf and wrapped her arms around her. "We are all stronger together." She closed her eyes, trying to focus on something besides the darkness. A light grew brighter and brighter before her, becoming a tall and stern figure. When she opened her eyes she saw Thurinlass standing apart from the group, facing the evil that haunted them. He glowed with the light of Telperion, and the darkness seemed to shrink back from him. His words echoed through the night,

"Blacker night these eyes have seen! 
"And two Dark Lords this one has faced!
"Thou speaks of what thou knowest not!
"I stand to protect, against this night! I fear you not, though you will learn to fear me!" 

Írimë felt her strength begin to return. Looking down first at Adonnenniel then at all of her friends gathered around the fire, she realized something. Every person had a light within. While some were weaker than others, together they produced a light no darkness could overcome. The thought gave her hope.

[Edited on 06/04/2015 by Eruwestiel_Evensong]
"And I dreamed of seas and ships, and of waves crashing on the shore in the twilight of the world..." ~Song, member of the Realm of Ulmo
wolfbladequeen
Council Member
Send Message
Beri stood up suddenly as Thurinlass called them to arms, knocking over her cup in her haste. The last few drops of the precious liquid spilled onto the earth, darkening the soil to match the darkness of the shadows outside the ring of firelight. She had heard the whispering of foul things and the snapping of twigs like distant whip-cracks, but until now she had not acknowledged them. She looked out into the trees and suppressed a shiver. Even with her keen elven eyesight, she could barely make out the shapes of trees only ten feet or so away. Fear stole into her heart, and for the first time she broke the promise she had made so long ago, had whispered into the silence of the night in cold winters when dread breathed down her neck: I will never fear the forest. The trees she so loved seemed to belong to somewhere else, to some foul land where shadows reigned.

Merilwen also stood, and while she noticed her cousin's upset goblet, she made no move to right it. Will we never be free of this fighting? Will we never run out of enemies? she thought. She then promptly forgot about the coming battle when Itarildë and Linriel returned accompanied by none other than Bildarion. She felt a pang of sorrow for Linriel. He keeps coming back to her... Perhaps he wants to regain her love and trust, but then why does he not stay? He just leaves again and breaks her heart. What reason could he possibly have for keeping so many secrets? Linriel did not know he had a daughter... Then she had a thought. Didn't Eleniel mention that she had a brother, who died? Yes, I'm sure of it! Two children... Did they not mean enough to him to mention them? Or perhaps it was Linriel who did not mean enough... No, I must stop this. We have a battle to fight. I shouldn't get distracted.

Meri heard the howling of wolves, and thought of the nights when she had sat beside a fire listening to their eerie singing. Of course, that had been when they had been travelling with Beri's father, and she had felt safe even when the moon was dark and all stars were obscured. A horse whinnied in terror and she flinched. She reached for her bow, then stopped. Fool! You should have been prepared! She had a simple quiver made of scraps of material, but she had no arrows. When she had made the bow, she had needed to leave Lothlorien in a hurry, and had not had time to make arrows. She had planned to make some later on, when she had the time... But you did have the time. It didn't slip your mind, you were avoiding it, in the hope that if you did not think of battles you could avoid them. But it doesn't work that way. You know that.

Meri stood there, looking around desperately, until Beri took her hand and pulled her to join Írimë and Adonnenniel. They heard Írimë saying that they were stronger together, and they knew her words were true. They looked at each other, nodded, then readied their weapons. Meri drew her long knife, ready to defend herself. Beri fitted a smooth stone she had previously collected from the riverbank into her slingshot, and they stood back-to-back. Neither would ever let an attacker get past them, lest they then attack the other. It gave them the determination to fight. Meri smiled. Once again, I put my life in your hands, as you put yours in mine. May there never come a day when we fight alone. She took her cousin's hand and they stood there, waiting, while the tension rose inside them like a flood. Thurinlass spoke into the night, and strangely she found that she could not make out the words, though he stood but a few feet away. Instead she heard it like feelings and images: hope, bravery, strength, love, resolve, stars working together to make the night less black, sunlight purging the shadows from the deepest valley, tiny shoots pushing through ashes to make a dead land green again. The noise crashed over her like a wave, and like water it swept away the debris to leave her mind clear and uncluttered. She laughed, suddenly, unexpectedly, and the sound rang out then faded when it reached the trees.

[Edited on 06/14/2015 by wolfbladequeen]
If anyone had happened to look out of a window on the east side of the palace, they might have noticed two figures in the darkness, dancing in a square bordered by living plants, out of time with the dancers inside but perfectly in time with each other.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Yellow eyes shone in the darkness as the lone wolf moved nearer to the horses. The wolf longed for the taste of horse and the ones here seemed easy enough. A low growl escaped the wolf's mouth and it lowered itself to the ground as it crept closer.

The horses began to stir, sensing a presence of evil coming towards them. Silme and Ithil began to stamp their feet and the others whinnied and snorted.

Linriel heard Meldir's loud snort and knew something was bothering him but she could not leave Itarilde's side. Meldir can take care of himself.

The mighty horse has fought in many battles and saved Linriel's life more than once. He reared up and his blue hooves made little sparks on the ground.

Bloodlust, the wolf, stopped in his tracks when he saw the familiar blue hooves. Meldir, my old enemy. Long have I wanted to avenge my brother. The brother you killed. Bloodlust growled then and bared his teeth.

The scent of the approaching wolf reached Meldir's nose and the powerful horse reared again. Bloodlust! Long have I wondered what became of you after I killed your brother. Meldir started to move among the horses looking for the wolf and trying to lead it away from the rest. He left the circle of horses and nickered loudly, as if challenging the wolf to come and fight.

True to his name, the angry wolf charged at Meldir and a horrific fight began. Bloodlust clamped his teeth on Meldir's flank and the horse spun around and grabbed the wolf with his teeth and threw him off. Bloodlust fell to the ground but once again leapt at Meldir. The horse reared up and brought his front hooves down on the wolf's back. Bloodlust growled and was stunned for a moment but got up and ran straight at Meldir's neck. Meldir turned quickly and used his hind legs to kick the rushing wolf in the face. Bloodlust went down and that was all it took for Meldir to continue his attack. The black steed reared again and brought his front legs fiercely down on the wolf's head, crushing it. Meldir did not stop but stomped the now dead wolf over and over until there was nothing left but a bloody pool where the head had been.

The mighty horse gave a loud snort and kicked the dead Bloodlust with his hoof. Finished. It is done. This wolf will not cause harm to anyone again. Meldir went back to the others with a bleeding flank but turned to see if his mistress was in danger

[Edited on 06/07/2015 by Lindarielwen]
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
HuldahMaria
Council Member
Send Message
Adonnenniel sat completely still, waiting for what seemed inevitable, retreating into her own world. She hardly noticed Irime until the maid wrapped her arms around her. She leaned into her embrace. All around them the others prepared to face whatever was coming. Her eyes were closed, but she heard what was spoken, heard the word sounds of wolves and horses. Stronger together, she did believe that. Only together could they survive this night.
And I will live to carry Your compassion, to love a world that's broken, to be Your hands and feet, and I will give with the life that I've been given, and go beyond religion to see the world be changed by the power of Your name. ~Lincoln Brewster
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
...though you will learn to fear me!

The Whisper hissed and withdrew a few paces from the dreadful light. Crossing Its arms in front of Its chest a shield of darkness, striving with the light. Unseen, a thread of malice crept away from the light searching. Once It found Its prey it would disappear. For now.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Harn huddled close to the fire, fearing the darkness that surronded them. Then, Thurinlass stepped forward, light eminating from the Firstborn's soul, and challenged the present evil. Thousands of years seemed to ripple in the golden beams, making Harn feel like the small child he was among the Eldar. Hope rose in his heat, and the boy stood. Suddenly a horse's scream pierced the air.Ithil, he panicked. Foolishly, Harn ran to the horses, the black of night swalowing up the last light that glinted on his blade. When he found the horses, Linriel's horse stood triumphantly over a mangled wolf. Sighing with relief, the boy turned back to camp. That was when it hit him. Cold, clammy fear gripped his gut like an icy hand and twisted round his heart. Eyes wide with terror he stood transfixed, until the searing pain started in his hand. Crying out he collapsed writhing in agony clutching the deep scar, hidden by the glove Linriel had given him, that felt as if the firey brand was delving into his flesh again.
"You know who I am, meddling fool," a voice whispered in the back of his mind.
Staring hopefully at the light shining around the others, Harn staggered to his feet and into the light's warmth. There he fell, sobbing for breath, clutching his still inflamed scar.

~~~~~

The Whisperer laughed, It had reached its goal for tonight. It withdrew suddenly, as if vanishing, and disappeared into the night, Nightshade and Dawnslight at Its heels. Where is Bloodlust? It wondered.
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
HuldahMaria
Council Member
Send Message
Adonnenniel heard Harn sobbing, and her mind suddenly become clear. She turned and saw him lying on the ground not far from her. She went to him without a second thought. He seemed to be injured, but she saw no blood and thought perhaps his hand was broken. Kneeling beside him, she placed her hands gently on his shoulders, whispering words of peace and calm. She regarded him much as a child, though she knew he did not see himself as such.
And I will live to carry Your compassion, to love a world that's broken, to be Your hands and feet, and I will give with the life that I've been given, and go beyond religion to see the world be changed by the power of Your name. ~Lincoln Brewster
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
As fast as it appeared, it left just as fast. What seemed like a shadow just simply disappeared. Linreil lowered her weapon and noticed Harn coming to the fire and he seemed to be in distress. The boy collapsed as he drew near and as Linriel was about to go to his side, Adonnenniel rushed to him. Good, that is good to see Adonnenniel helping him.

Meldir gave a loud whinny. Meldir Linriel gave a quick nod to Itarilde, gathered her medicine bag and ran to the horses. She saw a bloodied shape on the ground and there was her horse standing over it. But she paid the dead thing no mind. It was Meldir that caused her concern, His flank was bloodied so she quickly took some comfrey leaves from her pouch. "Mana carnel? Ma merilye tulconya?" Linriel stroked Meldir's neck and began to put some comfrey leaves on his wound. "As always you fought bravely, my friend," she spoke soothingly to her horse.

She looked at the now dead wolf and knew the body must be moved and covered. I must go back and get help Linriel turned and there behind her was Bildarion!. "I was lost in thought and did not hear you approach," she said to him. "We must take care of this carcass." Bildarion agreed and together the two Elves carried the dead wolf until they were satisfied they were far enough away from camp. They began to pile rocks over the body to make a cairn when Bildarion said, "I will finish this, Linriel. Go back to camp and see if that boy needs your help." She replied, "Yes, I will. Come back quickly." The maid dashed off to join the others.

Bloodlust, what made you attack? You should have known better than to attack this group but revenge was your downfall. With a frown, Bildarion finished covering the body. Another secret. Another lie I must tell Linriel. Will this never end? I want to be free. I want to go on with my life like it was when I had my family. And Linriel.

Bildarion finished his task and went back to join the others at the camp.

[Edited on 06/08/2015 by Lindarielwen]
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
Írimë felt the battle between light and darkness go on all around and her and within her soul. Why is this happening? Who is the cause of this malice haunting us?
The horses neighed in alarm as wolves howled. There were sounds of a skirmish even between the animals, then silence. Almost as soon as it came, the dark presence vanished. Írimë felt it as if a heavy weight had been lifted from her heart, though a shadow still remained. This is not over. The thing will keep coming until it gets what it came for. But what does it want?

Harn stumbled into the camp and suddenly she knew that this boy was the reason. He is so young! What happened in his short life to cause such evil to follow him? she thought.
Adonnenniel broke away and knelt beside the boy, soothing him with gentle words. It is best to leave them alone. I will ask Linriel about him later. She stood slowly to her feet, feeling very tired. Her swords still lay were she had dropped them on the other side of the fire. Picking them up she whispered, "I am glad I did not have need of you this night, though I wish our enemy was such that I could fight it if I needed to. Wolves our one thing, an unseen evil is another."

After cleaning the swords the maiden slid them back into her scabbards and looked around. Linriel returned from her errand and went to join Adonnenniel next to Harn. The other members of the group seemed relieved that the darkness was gone, but they were restless. Bildarion entered the camp and Írimë watched him with interest. Was it her imagination, or did she catch a glimpse of guilt in his eyes? Another person with secrets.
Things are happening under the surface than I do not know about. Perhaps as I become better acquainted with the members of this party I will learn more.
One thing she did know, she did not trust Bildarion.
"And I dreamed of seas and ships, and of waves crashing on the shore in the twilight of the world..." ~Song, member of the Realm of Ulmo
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
I am writing this on behalf of Maxie who will return to us as soon as she can.

Eleniel put her weapon down and was thankful the battle was over before it began. She heard a horse whinny loudly and made ready to go to them when she saw Linriel returning to the group. "Linriel, is everything alright? How are the horses?" she asked worriedly. "All is fine, Eleniel. Meldir had an incident with a wolf but it is dead." Linriel put her hand on Eleniel's shoulder. " I know you must be worried about Castiel. She is safe.. All the horses are fine except Meldir who was injured when the wolf attacked him but he will recover." The relief on Eleniel's face was obvious. Linriel knew how close a bond can be between a horse and rider.

"I saw my father follow you, Linriel. Where is he?" the maid asked. Linriel answered, "Your father is finishing covering the dead wolf with rocks. We carried it deeper into the woods and made a cairn over it." Eleniel looked at Linriel, remembering how shocked she was to learn the maid was the never mentioned betrothed of Bildarion. Linriel added, "Your father's appearance here has come as a great surprise to all of us. I do not know why he is here and I must tell you that I am not sure if I care. But, he is your kin. I hope the two of you have a chance to talk before he leaves again like he always does."

Linriel regretted her words as soon as she spoke. "I am sorry, Eleniel. I know he is your father but he just kept so many secrets." She shook her head and continued. "I am not certain if I can ever forgive him for not telling me about you. But that no longer matters. What does matter is that you have found your father. I hope the two of you can regain some sort of relationship."

There was a rustle in the woods and Bildarion stepped out of the forest. He saw the two maids talking and went to them. "I have covered the wolf and made sure the horses are settled. I am relieved the danger has passed." He smiled at Linriel. "It seems you still need two hands to wield that sword." Linriel could not help but smile back as she nodded. "Yes, that sword is heavy but it served me well over the last 50 years." Her smile disappeared. "I must go see how Harn is faring." She turned and walked away.

Eleniel saw how quickly Linriel's smile faded as Linriel remembered how she searched in vain for Bildarion all those years. "Ada, what are you doing here? Why have you been following us? What do you know of this strange creature who reeks of evil?"
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
The Elf's soothing words broke through the barrier of fear that had formed around Harn's mind. His breath came more easily now, but the burning sensation in his scar still tormented him. All of a sudden, it vanished, the pain, the fear, everything. Sitting up he pulled the glove off and stared at the deep imprint in his palm, but the fire in it had vanished. Confused, he stared at the woods, had it all been a dream? No, the others were here, they had felt it too. He rubbed his fingers subconsciously against the brand and stared into the fire, remembering.
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
HuldahMaria
Council Member
Send Message
Adonnenniel looked at the scar on Harn's hand when he removed the glove. She could tell immediately that this was no ordinary scar, and even had she not known it at a glance, she could read him well enough to see it. What has happened to him? He was so young to have so much in his past already...like her lost niece...

She looked at Harn tenderly, asking the question with her eyes. what happened?
ItarildeSirfalas
Council Member
Send Message
The darkness was gone as quickly as it had come. Itarildë and Linriel swapped a glance, and Itarildë knew instantly Linriel would want to check on her horse, Meldir. Itarildë wondered if Silmë had hidden, as his usual response was flight, but if threatened directly, he would fight.

She quickly checked on her equine friend, and once ensured he was all safe and well, she returned to camp. She passed Eleniel and the new male elf to join the group, Bildarion.

The boy, Harn wandered into camp also, but instantly Adonnenniel tended to him. Itarildë smiled, at least she was pro-active. He would be in good hands, as Itarildë could sense under Adonnenniel's silent exterior, she had a kind and healing soul.

For some strange reason, Itarildë couldn't bring herself to fully trust Biladrion. Just something about his 'aura' seemed murky and deceitful. She would definitely have to keep her eye on him. She went to stand by Linriel, slinging her beloved bow onto her back.

"I know you know him, and I do not mean to offend, but I do not trust this new elf." She said, her eyes trained on him.

-----------

"You asked to see me, Lord Elrond?" Hirnaeranin was bored. Imladris was too quiet since he'd returned from Mirkwood, especially since he'd discovered the daughter of Lord Elrohir had shot off to go galavanting to Cuivienen. Well, galavanting wasn't exactly the most fitting word for Lady Itarildë's actions...

"Ah, Hirnaeranin, just who I wanted to see," Lord Elrond, was as always by a table littered with numerous books and maps. "How was your journey back from Mirkwood?"

Hirnaeranin went to the table, and pushed back his long black hair, catching it on his black-jewelled earring; he wondered why he'd even let Legolas talk him into having it...

"It went well. It seems things are settling in the forest once again. King Thranduil sends his regards, he hopes to soon visit Rivendell, but he has not decided upon when is most convenient." He paused then decided to continue, his curiosity getting the better of him. "I hear Lady Itarildë has gone on a journey herself? Was she with someone?

Lord Elrond looked up and smiled, knowingly. 'I know that look,' he thought to himself. He shuffled a few maps and brought forth one with a route marked on it.

"My granddaughter has gone to Cuivienen, with a company that left Lothlórien recently. If I'm not mistaken, it would have been yesterday they left." Elrond went over to a bookshelf and opened a small box. He took out a small ring and an envelope, a sad smile appearing. They were from Itarildë's mother, who had left for Valinor a few years after Itarildë's birth, her heart too weary to remain in Middle-Earth.

"No escort went with her. I'm sure you've heard of her stubborn ways. This ring I'm holding... it was her mother's. I meant to give it to her, but I couldn't bring myself to do so. It seems now would be a good time for her to receive it. I'd go myself, but, I don't think Itarildë would be too happy for her 'old grandfather' joining her."

"I would be willing to take them to her." Hirnaeranin said, almost a little too quickly. He was eager for something to do, and the prospect of finally speaking to Itarildë alone was too tempting. Also, seeing Cuivienen was a promising opportunity.

Elrond looked at Hirnaeranin, almost playing with him. "Well, if you are sure? You've only just returned. Cuivienen is a long way from Imladris..."

"I do not mind, I enjoy long journeys. And when else will the opportunity to see Cuivienen arrive again?" Hirnaeranin replied.

He left that night on his horse, Sirdal, his bow on his back and his heart light. He wondered how Itarildë would receive him on the other hand. She wasn't known for her glowing smile, after all.

[Edited on 06/13/2015 by ItarildeSirfalas]
Image Image
"Yet such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere." ~ Elrond ♥
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Harn glanced at the elf and sighed wearily, pulling the glove back on. Wiping his eyes with the back of his sleeve he tried his best to look like a man, instead of the boy he felt like.
"I was a slave," he half whispered. "for seven years. I tried to escape once," he then laughed bitterly," but They caught me and gave me this brand. Marking me as what I truely am, property. I acted as if I had been subdued, so They losened their guard. I escaped, though I don't know how, I was a blundering fool with the sword. But the company saved me, and took me in. They set me free when the Mirkwoodians defeated my enslavers."
Harn toyed with a twig in the dirt, drawing a crudely shaped hand engulfed in flames.
"But now I know. I'm not free," he shuddered. "It is here."
HuldahMaria
Council Member
Send Message
She began to weep silently as Harn told of his past. She embraced him gently, in a motherly way. "You are no one's property, Harn. This dark magic can not take your freedom. You belong not with us now, but not too us." She wondered if he believed her, if he could believe her. They hardly knew each other and she realized he may not accept what she was doing.
wolfbladequeen
Council Member
Send Message
Beriadanwen was confused. She was unsure of what was going on, and unsure if the danger was gone or not, and if the former, when it would return. But she had other thoughts vying for their place in her head. she knew she had been a little withdrawn since they had left Lothlorien, barely saying a word to her cousin. But she could not yet bring herself to share what Lady Galadriel had told her shortly before their departure. Could it be true? Surely the Lady would not lie... But how could this be...? Stop. Don't worry about things you cannot be certain of. You'll just go round and round in circles. Perhaps you can talk to one of the others at some point, to ask what they know of Rivendell.

The night was still a way from drawing to a close, and Meri wondered what they would do. Surely none of them could sleep now, but would they keep watch by the fire or travel onwards through the dark? She did not know if they had any torches they could use to light their way if they chose to keep travelling, and she knew that any branches they lit would quickly burn away. She shivered, and her thoughts turned to the fine clothes in the bag for her and Beri's possessions. They would be warmer... But I don't want to wear them yet. It would not be right to wear such fine material out in these rough woods. She shivered again, and wrapped her short cloak more tightly around herself.
If anyone had happened to look out of a window on the east side of the palace, they might have noticed two figures in the darkness, dancing in a square bordered by living plants, out of time with the dancers inside but perfectly in time with each other.
Mr.Panda39
Council Member
Send Message
The shadow retreated and still Thurinlass gazed after it. For a few moments he searched the woods, then he tightened his quiver and gripped hus bow. He had intended on going after whatever haunted them but then he remembered the company. He stood for some time torn, and then he knew he must stay rather than hunt. He had already waited too long. He tightened his thick gloves, made to conceal rather than heat. Bildarion and Linriel had just returned from an errand of some kind, Harn seemed hurt, but Adonneniel was tending him, which comforted Thurinlass. The cousins stood near the fire, unharmed.

"Gather your things!" Thurinlass called in a commanding voice, but even as he did he dwindled once more. No longer bright and keen was he, but dim and far off once again. "We must cross the river tonight." He said in a softer voice, "Then we may make camp once more and have a nights rest." He whistled and Ilma came. Her eyes told him the tale of Meldir's fight with the wolf. Thurinlass began to unpack her. "Unburden your beasts." He instructed the others, "I have a plan to cross where even the strongest men cannot without a boat." He informed them. He finished with Ilma then went to Harn, "Can you walk Warrior?" He asked. Thurinlass knew the wound was not physical, so he tried his best to bolster the young man's will.
The sky is afire with wroth, and the rivers are red with blood.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Linriel looked at Itarilde and thought before she spoke. She sighed. "Bildarion and I have quite a history., We were to be wed but while with a hunting party, he disappeared and it seemed he was kidnapped. I spent over 50 years searching for him. One night, the night I met Thurinlass, a badly injured Bildarion returned to Lorien, He was given aid and it was then revealed he had never been kidnapped. He was......"

Linriel never finished telling Itarilde the tale for Thurinlass spoke to the company and told them they must cross the river posthaste. Tonight? We must cross the river tonight? The thought of crossing the river at night dismayed Linriel but she knew to trust Thurinlass and if he deemed they must cross, then cross they must. She spoke to Itarilde. "It seems my account will go unfinished for now. Let us prepare to leave."

As Linriel hurried to Meldir, she noticed Adonnenneil with Harn. It is good to see Adonnenneil helping out Meri and Beri were with Irime and Linriel paused to speak with them. "We will be crossing the river soon and it will be wise for all of us to stay as close as we can to each other. Come, get your horses ready and secure your belongings."

Eleniel and Bildarion seemed to be having a heated discussion. Linriel remembered how Eleniel and she were unnerved to find out Bildarion kept secrets from both of them. The maid never knew her father was nearby in Middle-earth for so many long years and Linriel was stunned to learn Bidarion had been wed and had a family. She called out to them, "We must prepare to leave. Thurinlass bids us to cross the river tonight."

Linriel quickly ran to Meldir and checked his flank. The wolf bite was deep but the stallion paid it no mind. Linriel hugged her horse. "Meldir, I do not know what prompted that wolf to attack you out of all the others. It was almost as if he knew you." Meldir pushed his head against Linriel as if in answer. She stroked his neck and patted his muzzle. "Well, that wolf will bother us no more thanks to you."

She looked to the sky. It was a beautiful moonlit night. Stars twinkled on the black velvet curtain of the night sky and Linriel was reminded of the purpose of this journey. We are going to Cuivienen. We will see the very place where the Elves first gazed at the tiny lights high above. I will never know how it actually felt to see them for the first time but even now, the stars command my attention. Even now, they overwhelm me with their beauty.

Linriel gasped as a streak of light blazed across the sky as if beckoning the weary company onward.

[Edited on 06/16/2015 by Lindarielwen]
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
"You are no one's property, Harn. This dark magic can not take your freedom. You belong not with us now, but not too us."

Harn tried to believe her, but the nagging voice in the back of his head reminded him of the years that haunted his footsteps. He looked up as Thurinlass began to order the crossing of the river.

"Can you walk Warrior?"

He glanced up, and smiled at the company's leader. Pushing himself up, he offered a hand to Adonnenniel, who had helped him so much already.
"I'm not a warrior, sir," he said, as boldly as he could, "but I can walk."
Eruwestiel_Evensong
Council Member
Send Message
"Gather your things! We must cross the river tonight," Thurinlass called, then went on in a softer voice, "Then we may make camp once more and have a nights rest." He called his horse and began to unpack her. "Unburden your beasts." He instructed, "I have a plan to cross where even the strongest men cannot without a boat."

Írimë stood up from her crouched position before the fire and brushed the dirt from her knees. Crossing the river seemed like a dangerous task even during daylight, but if Thurinlass wanted them to cross now he must have faith it could be accomplished. The maiden walked swiftly to her horse and removed her few bags from his broad back, slinging them onto her own shoulders instead. Her horse gave a brief snort that sounded very much like a laugh and she looked at him suspiciously, cocking a brow. "Does it give you delight to see me look like a burdened horse?" He shook his head vigorously, and she smiled. "Good." She didn't know that he was really just brushing off an irritating itch.

Her look turned serious. "We have a dangerous path in front of us. What lies behind I do not know, but I feel every step forward also brings us a step closer to the past. I am afraid to know what I have forgotten and what secrets the others are hiding." Her hand shook a little as she ran it over her horse's smooth side. A deep, comforting rumble sounded from within his chest and she could only interpret it to mean one thing: "Do not fear; whatever we face it will be together. You are not alone." Leaning against his warm side, she whispered, "Thank you."

After a moment she straightened, adjusted the pack over her shoulder, and led her mount to the gathering around the fire to await further instructions. It felt like this night would never end.

[Edited on 07/08/2015 by Eruwestiel_Evensong]
ItarildeSirfalas
Council Member
Send Message
Linriel replied to Itarildë's unhappy confession. "Bildarion and I have quite a history. We were to be wed but while with a hunting party, he disappeared and it seemed he was kidnapped. I spent over 50 years searching for him. One night, the night I met Thurinlass, a badly injured Bildarion returned to Lorien, He was given aid and it was then revealed he had never been kidnapped. He was......"

Thurinlass interrupted the maiden, and Itarildë looked towards their 'leader'. "It seems my account will go unfinished for now. Let us prepare to leave."Linriel finished. Itarildë nodded to her newest companion, who she felt was slowly becoming someone she could trust... a friend, even.

She went towards Silmë, and patted his nose. He didn't have a large burden to begin with, as Itarildë had learned how to travel lightly, and the only thing he carried had been a night-roll, and some 'small supplies' such as snack foods for them both.

Itarildë felt slightly shaken from the group's encounter, but in her mind she had certainly faced worse. She led Silmë once more to the fire where others were gathered. She stood beside Írimë, but as they were old friends, she did not feel the need to strike up a conversation with her. Írimë knew her much too well for her to be offended by Itarildë's silence. Almost wearily, she rested her head against Silmë's neck and closed her eyes.

She wondered if Thurinlass would send a scout ahead. If so, she would happily volunteer. It was one of the skills she had used many years ago for other outings... ones she rarely thought about these days...

She went over to Thurinlass himself, and made the suggestion to him.
"If you would prefer someone scout ahead for safe crossing, I will gladly do so. I feel I am one of the least shaken by this night."

------------------------

Hirnaeranin had taken a rest, but little did he know how quickly he was gaining on the group. Sirdal was a quick steed, and had served him well as a both horse and friend. They were already half-way to Lothlorien, and they were only now beginning to tire.

"Well, old friend, it's about time we rested, don't you think? I may even have a juicy apple in my pack for you!"

Sirdal snuffed appreciatively around Hirnaeranin. And while they enjoyed a quiet evening, little did they know how the others were fairing...
Image Image
"Yet such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere." ~ Elrond ♥
wolfbladequeen
Council Member
Send Message
Tonight! They were to cross the river tonight! Just the thought of that icy water, so warm at the height of day, made Beri shiver. Linriel came over and spoke words that were kind though hardly reassuring. Stick close together... were there more dangers to be wary of? She was however glad to have so many allies, if not entirely all friends yet, around her on that long night.

When Thurinlass had finished speaking, Meri wanted to wail that she could not take any more, but she bit back the words. Crossing where the strongest cannot without a boat? Especially on that night, she was far from strong. She just hoped that the others had strength enough to lend her a hand. Linriel told the others to prepare their horses, but she had none. As she looked over at the animals, some slender, some sturdy, she knew that the other members of the company took comfort in having their mounts with them. She had no such reassurance. I do have my cousin, she thought, but that tiny phrase soon slipped out of her mind.

Grudgingly Meri turned, gave Beri a sapless smile, and shuffled closer to the fire. She listened to what her companions were saying and waited till someone - Thurinlass, she presumed - would tell her what to do. She was suddenly hit by an odd feeling - a desire to stare up at the stars, seeking solace and some little hope, coupled with an irrational fear that maybe if she looked up she would see nothing but an empty, dark sky. She scolded herself, but somehow could not bring herself to check that she was wrong.
HuldahMaria
Council Member
Send Message
Adonnenniel accepted Harn's hand and stood. It had already been such a long day, and now they were to cross the river tonight. She had not noticed her fatigue when her focus was on Harn, but now that she was faced with another daunting task, it felt impossible hard. She walked slowly to her horse. If Thurinlass was having them cross at such a dangerous place, how could they do it? And at night? She removed the pack from her horse as Thurinlass had instructed them and joined the others. She was scared and not hiding it very well.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Eleniel could not keep the tone of anger from her voice as she spoke to her father. "You still have yet to explain your absence all these years. I know you have been on important missions Ada, but at what cost? You have kept secrets. You have lied. You have stolen away in the dark of night without leaving word. All any of us could do is imagine fell things happening to you. Did you not think we would worry? Did you not care how we felt?" Eleniel turned from Bildarion in frustration.

She was just about to continue when she heard Linriel call to them to make ready to cross the river. Tonight? We will cross the river tonight? Eleniel looked again at her father. "We will pursue this conversation on the other side of the Anduin. That should give you plenty of time to make up another lie." She hastened away from him and went to her horse, Castiel. "Dear friend, it seems this night will not give us much rest.' Eleniel began to gather her things.

Bildarion watched as his daughter walked away. I have so many regrets, my child. More than you will ever know. But for now, I must help the others get ready to cross the river. He looked at everyone and saw them preparing to leave. His eyes found Linriel and they lingered on the fair maiden. He smiled as she deftly prepared her pack and secured her weapons. Linriel is so independent. As are most of the others here. They all have wounds that must heal. Bildarion frowned as he thought of Linriel's search for him. A search that was in vain. He was never kidnapped and one day he hoped to explain all this to her and to his daughter. He looked at her once more but she paused for a moment before suddenly turning, catching his gaze. It was as if she knew he was watching her. Her eyes met his and for an instant, Bildarion thought she looked at him once again with the sweet love she once felt for him. But the look in her eyes suddenly changed and turned to indifference. As he took a step towards her, Linriel turned away and started for the river's edge. A touch of anger and irritation eased its way into Bildarion's heart and he clenched his fists. The day will come when I will make her listen to me.

Everyone was getting ready to leave. This night was not what they all expected or hoped for. Instead of a peaceful night of fellowship and singing, the group of companions faced an evil presence. A presence that was gone as suddenly as it came.

The band of weary travelers met at the river's edge. A slight breeze caused a cool mist of water to wash over them. The river was cold. The night was dark. What perils await them as they cross? Will all find safe passage to the opposite shore?

[Edited on 07/14/2015 by Lindarielwen]
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Cool water splashed over Eleniel's ankles and soaked the bottom of her brown skirt. The water did not, thankfully, leach into her boots to soak her feet.

Castiel whinnied, uneasy, at the cold, sinister water, and Eleniel reached up to stroke her mane. "Shh," She soothed as best as she could. "It's safe." I hope.

She looked over to Linriel's dear Meldir. Surely the stallion had to be in pain, but it made no outside gesture of it. Perhaps Eleneil had some healing agents in the medicinal pouch Maldor had given her.

She thought of Maldor, the healer in Lorien. The two of them had quickly became friends, and she found the easygoing nature of the pharmacist refreshing. She dearly hoped that they would encounter each other once more after this journey. Perhaps, Eleniel thought, I should gather some strange plants to carry back to him. He would dearly love to analyze their uses.

Eleniel stepped deeper into the water, pulling Castiel along. The cool water eased up her skin, causing goosebumps to raise on her pale arms. when she was about knee deep, she turned back to the others. "Aren't you coming?"
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
HuldahMaria
Council Member
Send Message
Adonnenniel cautiously approached the waters edge with her horse. It was dark, and she couldn't see what she was going to be getting into, though Thurinlass's description had not been reassuring at all. She stepped in, it was cold. She kept going, stepping carefully, not knowing what her next step would find. It did not take long before the cold seemed to creep all the way to her bones, and the pull of the current on her small body seemed stronger by the second. She willed herself not to panic lest the horse sense it and panic as well. She was terrified. She knew she had to get to the other side quickly, but if it got any deeper she would be swept away.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
The water was bitterly cold sapping all the strength he had into its swirling deeps. Harn shivered, but he could not tell if it was from the chill of the water or his own fear. Pulling on Ithil's reins he led her into the rushing depths. His boots sunk into the soft gravely loam of the riverbed. The night seemed darker, now that they were trying to see clearly. The boy gulped as the solid ground beneath his feet dropped a foot and the water rose to his chest. The river seemed to be laughing at them, mocking them for trying to cross her at night. She tugged at the travelers and pushed them to muster all their will power and strength to make it to the opposite bank.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
At its deepest, the water came to Eleniel's waist. The abundance of water muted her movement, but she moved the best she could.

Finally, it began to relent. Movement vecame easier as the water receded, and it ran into the folds of Eleniel's skirt. Castiel tossed her mane and whinnied as she started to walk over the rocky shore.

Staggering under the extra weight the water had given to her, Eleniel movedntowards one of the trees, leaning against it.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
wolfbladequeen
Council Member
Send Message
Beri hesitated at the edge of the water. Eleniel had reached the opposite bank and Adonnenniel and Harn were in the water, but Thurinlass had not yet spoken. She turned to him, seeking instruction or reassurance, but he was turned away from her. She looked back at the swift-moving water. When did this river become so fearsome? she thought. When did simple, natural things like water and tree branches overhead become so foreign? She knew that whatever it was that had happened that night had cast a shadow over her heart. She just hoped that it would fade in time.

Meri stood a couple of paces from the river. She prepared to step into the water, took a deep breath - and found herself standing still. She watched Eleniel for a moment. She was tugging her horse forward, and seemed also to be leaning on her. It looked like each was drawing strength from the other. She was surprised to find herself wishing that Narroch was there. It would be much easier to cross with a horse to steady me. We should not have left her back in Lothlorien.
ItarildeSirfalas
Council Member
Send Message
Itarildë whilst awaiting for Thurinlass' response began to head towards the river. There was no need to wait if others were not, but she was still unsure if this was wise.

Itarildë saw the two cousins at the water's edge and realised they had no horse with them. She considered whether they would be offended by an offer for a ride upon Silmë. Then dispelled it. Ildë did not want to see them struggle.

"Meri, Beri. Climb onto Silmë. He is friendly enough, and it will be safer if you ride with me. There is space enough for you both upon him. He is strong, and fears not the water. I believe he would find more comfort with company."

Itarildë held out her hand to them, and clambered down from her dear friend, awaiting their reply.
Image Image
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Once on the other side, Eleniel turned to see her companions. As they were still crossing the river, she dug into her bag to pull out extra cloaks for them all. The night chill was harsh, and it wouldn't do good to be cool all through the night due to their mandatory swim.

Castiel stamped her feet impatiently, and Eleniel drew out one of the carrots she had been saving as a treat and fed it to her.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Bildarion stood at the water's edge and watched his daughter, Eleniel, cross the river. She moved quickly in the chilly water, never hesitating, until she got to the other side. He admired her self-reliance and smiled as she offered her horse a carrot. The young cousins were getting some help from the one known as Ilde and Bildarion took note of how this small band of companions were loyal to each other and offered help when needed.

Everyone was in the water now and it seemed they would all cross safely. The current was smooth and the horses were strong. I will make a fire on the other side of the bank and all of us will rest and partake of food and fellowship.

His eyes searched the water. Where is she? Where is Linriel? For that matter, where is Thruinlass?

[Edited on 08/04/2015 by Lindarielwen]
wolfbladequeen
Council Member
Send Message
Meri gave Itarildë a grateful smile at the offer of help. "Well," she answered, "if Silmë desires company, who are we to deny him?" She took the proffered hand and was helped onto the horse. She then leant down to lift Beri on behind her. Itarildë also mounted and they began riding into the water.

Beri grinned at Itarildë's diplomacy. More comfort with company, indeed, she thought. But it is nice of her. I don't know if I could cross this river alone. She nodded to the older elf. She then waited til Meri was seated and allowed herself to be lifted up. The horse had a beautiful silvery mane that seemed to shine in the darkness. Beri stroked his side, the hair soft and warm under her fingers. Then she held onto Meri as they started moving.
ItarildeSirfalas
Council Member
Send Message
Itarildë returned a small smile in response to Meri's as she spoke. "Well," the younger elf began, "if Silmë desires company, who are we to deny him?"

Itarildë helped Meri on to Silmë, who snorted appreciatively. He didn't mind new company, and preferred to be pushed hard and show off when it came to carrying people. Typical male creature. She then watched as Beri clambered up behind her cousin. They really did appear to be twins. How odd that once you knew the difference, it was easy to tell they were indeed not twins.

Itarildë was surprised to find herself thinking she saw a little of her own attitude in Beri's personality. Despite her own efforts to appear approachable, she wondered if Beri could see through it, maybe even appreciate it. She watched and smirked quickly when she saw the silent Beri reach out and stroke Silmë. He did have a beautiful coat, she had to admit, even she was in awe of his beauty sometimes.

They strove forward into the river, Silmë barely acknowledging its depths as frightening. Instead he saw it as a challenge.

"Silmë, behave yourself. We have company now," Itarildë patted her companion's mane, then gave a quick glance behind herself. "Hold on, the water is unpredictable here. Thurinlass was right..."

Itarildë looked ahead to see Biladrion, scanning the group, clearly looking for Linriel. Why do I not trust him? I'll try my best but something about him just doesn't... Fit. Ildë tilted her head to talk to the cousins.

"This Biladrion... what do you think of him?" She asked quietly, unsure of how they'd react to the question.
Image Image
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Harn clung to Ithil's neck trying to pull himself up from the silt that lay underneath the thin, betraying layer of gravel. The Elves' light tread skimmed over the traitorous sand, as did the horses. But his human blood left him to fight against the beguiling river. Just as he pulled out his right foot, his left sank deeper and he bent trembling into the water to grab the sides of his left boot. Sand gushed upward as his left foot wavered a step forward and sank again. Even in the dark he could tell that he was clouding the narrow ford with the silt his feet set loose. Ithil rocked sideways and fear gripped at Harn's heart again as he to tilted, only tied to the ford by his right leg sunk deep into the silt.
"I can't..."
Water splashed into his mouth, interrupting his plea for help. Spluttering, he tried to regain a firm position on the ford, Ithil's warm presence gone as the horse had somehow gotten ahead of him.
<< First4849505152Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email