Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
Post The Hobbit: AUJ Extended edition - likes and dislikes
on: November 12, 2013 10:23
What did you think of this 5 disc set?
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
What!!! It is out and I missed it? It is not in any store I was in...Target and Wally Mart.
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
LinweSingollo
Movies & Casting Mod, Resident Hobbit & Frodo's Footstool
Send Message
I saw it in Walmart, but I have no plans at this time to purchase it. Unless I can be convinced it's worth my hard-earned shekels. Or someone gives me a Christmas pressie...
"To the Hobbits. May they outlast the Sarumans and see spring again in the trees." J.R.R. Tolkien
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Believe it or not, I am thinking about not getting the EE. I think when There and Back Again is over, there will be a boxed set with a great premium included as with the Trilogy.

Does anyone know if there is a version of the EE of An Unexpected Journey without all the production extras?
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
tarcolan
Send Message
I got mine from the local supermarket for a tenner! (about $15) so I don't think it's worth getting the two disc version if there is one. I would recommend the EE version, the extra bits make all the difference. I never thought I'd be saying that! The appendices discs have lots of interesting stuff too. Or if you wait long enough PJ is thinking of doing a complete Hobbit LOTR boxed set and putting Martin Freeman's Bilbo finding the Ring into the prologue instead of Ian Holm. Neat.
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
This is unusual for me but I think I may wait until it goes down in price or unless someone gives me a gift card for Christmas. I'm not sure.
Aragorn16Estel
Council Member
Send Message
I didn't know it was out either, my sister found most of the clips on YouTube, the new scenes that is, there isn't all of them but a nice few.

I personally enjoyed what I have seen very much, it shows some of the lighter side of middle earth, especially the dwarves.

Also my favourite scene that I have seen on YouTube so far is the Extended
Goblin Song, the one from the book. it is very funny, and almost frightening at the same time.

I hope to get my copy for Christmas.
-Chris
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever. - Psalm 23
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
I still have not found the EE in any store near my little cow town. Maybe Santa will find it.
Nevaratoiel
Council Member
Send Message
I agree with Lindarielwen, I won't be getting the separate box sets either. I'll wait until there's a box set of all three films.
~Nev~
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Did you look on Amazon, Lindarielwen?
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Ilandir
Council Member
Send Message
Loved the hobbiton market scene and also the Rivendell sequences - AUJ really needed those in the theatrical cut, especially ones featuring Bilbo.

Liked the Goblin King's song (except for the final, rock-guitarist movement of the character to end the song - too much unlike Middle-earth).

Otherwise, the EEs provided some further exploration into Bifur and Nori's characters.

Didn't like the "extra" shot here and there to seemingly fill or "add up" the 13-minutes that we were promised.

Would have expected more fleshed out scenes ...

Haven't seen the behind the scenes documentaries yet, but I still think it is worth buying

[Edited on 11/20/2013 by Ilandir]
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
My thoughts on the EE:
I liked the scene with little Bilbo, the market scene, and I especially loved it when Saruman said his line about the One Ring flowing down the river and being lost in the sea. I also thought the bit about Thorin and the gold madness was a nice touch to set it up for the next movie.

There were a couple scenes that almost made me regret it. The first was Bifur breaking out into song and they all start throwing food around in Rivendale. The other was the bath scene. I thought these both killed the mood, added nothing to the story, and were out of line for Middle-earth. The goblin king's song I also thought could have been done better without the instruments and air guitar bit.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
The five disc EE had some nice touches, but were a bit of a disappointment compared to the 30, 42 and 48 extra minutes of the LotR EEs. I went through the documentary part in one sitting, but I must confess that I’m a bit of an appendix-junkie. (I think I watched the appendices of PJ’s limited edition King Kong before watching the movie itself!) There is no part about JRR Tolkien as in the LotR EEs, probably because it would be redundant and there is less to say about the genesis of The Hobbit. Likewise, the book-to-script part is missing, because much of Tolkien that is shown in the film is not in the book The Hobbit but in widely distributed sources which could be confusing to people unaware of Christopher Tolkien’s thousands of pages over 14 books. And, it also seems that PJ felt at liberty to add more of his own ideas for much the same reasons. As per the previews, there will be a WHOLE lot more of this in The Desolation of Smaug!
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
I had a 2 disc EE in my hands yesterday but did not buy it...surprise everyone!...What is this 5 disc set of which you speak? I guess I will wait for all 3 movies to come out in a boxed set. surprise again!
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Lindarielwen said:I had a 2 disc EE in my hands yesterday but did not buy it...surprise everyone!...What is this 5 disc set of which you speak? I guess I will wait for all 3oticed movies to come out in a boxed set. surprise again!

Umm, I haven' noticed 2 disk EEs, and, as I confessed above to being something of an Appendices junkie the 5 disk set would have been my choice anyway.
The extended film is spread over 2 DVDs, with second one including a bit called (translation from German) “New Zealand: Home of Middle Earth”
Discs 3 and 4 have the common title “The Appendices part 7: A Long-Expected Journey; the Hobbit chronicles part 1” (Apps 1 to 6 being two each to each EE LotR parts 1 to 3).
Disc 5 is titled: “The Appendices part 8: the return to Middle Earth”.
There being no accompanying booklet as was the case with the LotR, I have to report content from fuzzy memory (looking at it all in one sitting left me in a bit of a zombie mode at the end )
A prologue explaining the many false starts before the movie project was really and finally set in motion; background information on several of the central scenes; and a section on the selection and character modelling of the dwarves.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Wow, the 5 disc set does sound great. The one I had in my hands had 2 discs. Disc one had The Hobbit part 1 and the New Zealand item you mentioned. Disc two had the second part of The Hobbit along with something about the making of the Dwarves (as I recall) Well, I left it at the store. Thank you for the information.

On the brighter side, two weeks from this day, Desolation of Smaug will be out here in the states and I am ready to go.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Post The Hobbit: AUJ Extended edition - likes and dislikes
on: November 30, 2013 12:37
The Hobbit: AUJ Extended edition - likes and dislikes

Hmm...
Likes: Ummm...... *thinks hard* Galadriel looked MUCH better at the White Council than she did in LOTR.
Dislikes: It's way too long. The theatrical cut was way too long.
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
I cannot disagree with you about Galadriel that is for sure.

Remember how much you dislike the longness of the theatrical when the final credits of "There and Back Again" come on and you realize that is it...no more...I will be glad for every long minute.
Nevaratoiel
Council Member
Send Message
I thought she looked better in LotR..... But it didn't bother me in the least. It's supposed to be 60 years earlier, but it is filmed 10 years later. What did bother me is her voice. I liked the lighter voice in LotR much more.
~Nev~
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
When I heard that The Hobbit was also being filmed as a trilogy, it was quite clear that PJ was pulling in things only glimpsed at at the margins of the book. (A lot of?) stuff found in the History of Middle Earth (which for me includes not just the 12 volumes but also Unfinished Tales and the published Silmarillion). And, of course, some (a lot of?) own ideas .
The latter strike me as being the least convincing parts so far (many have been discussed above). I make an exception for bringing Radagast up front – love the Rhosgobel Rabbits ! He’s portrayed as a bit too much of comic relief figure (as Gimli was in the LotR) for my taste. But then, in the scene at Dol Guldur, he is shown as more than a match for a Nazgul (wasn’t it even the Witch King himself?) so do you really want to mess with him for all his surface clownishness?
But PJ has committed what I call “factual errors” . (JRRT described himself as a natural niggler, paying undue attention to minute details. So at least I’m in very good company). The White Council met after the Dwarves entered Mirkwood, not before they started to cross the Misty Mountains. And the Witch King of Angmar was not buried, he disappeared ! Also, Azog as what looks to be the trilogy’s main villain – c’mon, compared to Smaug he’s chicken feed .
Well, let’s just see what PJ has in store for us in movies 2 and 3 *sigh*

[Edited on 12/01/2013 by Gandolorin]
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
After a couple rewatches I changed my mind about the goblin scene. I really do love the song and I think the EE is almost worth it.
tarcolan
Send Message
And you finally figure out why Azog looks like he stepped straight out of 'Avatar'.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
I received the 2 disc set as a gift but did not open it. I am trying to decide if I should return it and try to find the 5 disc set. Has anyone in the states found the 5 disc set? Gandolorin, I hope I am correct in thinking you do not live in the states. I love the Appendices so it seems the 5 disc set would be my choice.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Lindarielwen said:... Gandolorin, I hope I am correct in thinking you do not live in the states. I love the Appendices so it seems the 5 disc set would be my choice.

That's correct, I live in Germany. Couldn't tell you if there is a 2 disc set to be had here, first thing in my hands was the 5 disc set, after which I simply made a bee-line for the cashier. Wish you much luck with your search, I definitely liked the long appendices.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Well then, it seems I am now on a quest! I guess a music store in a mall should be my first stop.
tarcolan
Send Message
It would seem it's only available from Walmart or Amazon, which is annoying.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
I looked for the 5 disc in 3 different Walmarts and I searched the nearest mall without success. I am soooo tempted to just open the 2 disc I have and just enjoy it already! Yes, I think that is what I will do, or, I will take the 2 disc back to the store and wait for the 3 movie boxed set. Decisions! Decisions!
~nólemë~
Fan Creations Admin & Creations Forum Moderator
Send Message
I've only seen the first extended DVD so far.

+ Old Took's party, little Bilbo is cute
+ the bit about the magic of the Elves before Rivendell

Dislikes:
- extended Thror-Thranduil scene - makes me think of little kids taunting each other on the playground, the scene is illogical
- I can't see why the dwarves would make fun of a disabled person, I find the joke distasteful
- Kili winking at Elves, and the dwarf 'feast'... pigs have better table manners. Not funny at all that they can't behave like civilized people (this is supposed to be the royal line of Durin, the cream of Dwarfdom??). Nor in fact like medieval people, unless we're talking the decadent Rome before its fall.
- quote recycling - 'long grey beard, pointy hat'. Oh please. I liked LotR well enough, but enough with the neverending nods to the trilogy already.
---------- Image "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." J.R.R. Tolkien - The Hobbit
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email