Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
parluggla
Council Member
Send Message
Post Probably no more new ME films
on: December 17, 2013 07:14
After seeing these two Jackson installments of The Hobbit, I'm pretty sure the Tolkien Estate will NOT be in a mood to sell movie rights for any other ME stories, such as the Silmarillion. I'm certain that what put them off Jackson's LotR only got worse with his treatment of The Hobbit. The only way possible would be that someone entirely different took on the project and the Tolkien Estate had complete "creative control."

Of course we Tolkien/ME fans would like to see the "good times keep rolling," but realistically, I think the final installment of The Hobbit will mark the beginning of "The Long Winter," at least mass-media-wise. Perhaps many, many years from now when film making is more mature (not so in-your-face flashy/sensational/commercial?), there might be another ME treatment.

So in a mere year our beloved ME will fade from the general public's fickle, short-sighted view, the "artificial stimulus" will be over, and we'll be back to a book-based ME -- but then that's always been richer soil anyway. I hope this forum will continue, with all the good council members (as well as new members) going deeper and deeper into ME.

In closing let me add this link: http://youtu.be/D8YT5u878Lo

[Edited on 12/18/2013 by parluggla]
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
I believe the copyright runs out in 2043 so I'll have to stay alive until then. Beren and Lúthien would be a great film if it was done properly i.e. not like 'The Hobbit'. I'm not so sure about Túrin Túranbar, so depressing. The only worry is that the copyright for 'The Silmarillion' will relate to Christopher Tolkien, and he's not quite dead yet.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
The Silmarillion is about as filmable as the entire Old Testament. JRRT was not able to form it into what he would have been satisfied to publish in – ah, what – about 55 years? Then again, if you just take the time span from about David to the Babylonian Captivity, that was roughly ten times as long.
Go back to Abram / later Abraham, and we’re talking millennium.
Five hundred years – that is the duration of the First Age in the Years of the Sun.
What goes before is not entirely fixed in HoME, but it has a maximum of around 30.000 YotS.
This could be done as a documentary at best, no central (human) heroes living through even the YotS, even the Elven “heroes” do not survive to the end.
For what I have come to consider the “Dallas ‘n’ Denver” plague (that PJ is absolutely NOT immune to) there is not a snowball’s chance in Orodruin (post Ring-drop) that the Silmarillion can ever be done as a film. JRRT and others said that LotR was unfilmable. They were almost right. Silmarillion? Not in this universe.

[Edited on 12/18/2013 by Gandolorin]
Lord_Sauron
Council Member
Send Message
A part of me would like to see some of the stories in the Silmarillion be made into movies if done properly for example Beren and Luthien, and the Fall of Numenor. However another part of me believes that the Silmarillion should be left alone. In the Lord of the Rings there were characters and events missing or changed. If some of the stories in the Silmarillion were filmed just imagine the frustration lol and disappointment that the Tolkien fans would have if characters or events were missing or changed from those stories.

[Edited on 12/21/2013 by Lord_Sauron]
LightElfRowena
Council Member
Send Message
Lord_Sauron said:A part of me would like to see some of the stories in the Silmarillion be made into movies if done properly for example Beren and Luthien, and the Fall of Numenor. However another part of me believes that the Silmarillion should be left alone. In the Lord of the Rings there were characters and events missing or changed. If some of the stories in the Silmarillion were filmed just imagine the frustration lol and disappointment that the Tolkien fans would have if characters or events were missing or changed from those stories.

[Edited on 12/21/2013 by Lord_Sauron]

I can understand the frustration the people feels when the movie they see is not the same as what they read in the books. I felt the same way, but at the same time it's interesting to see the new scenes they add. It makes me think ' Oh, that's new, I never heard/or seen this before'. It gets me thinking on how it's related to the movie.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Peter Jackson (or someone) could still use the appendices from the back of Return of the King to make many more films of Middle-earth. There is a wealth of information in the appendices that could be used to create more movies. There is always hope that we will see more of Middle-earth after Hobbit III.
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I agree with Lindarielwen 100%. It would be a vast project, and may be hard to film, but there is a wealth of information after the last chapter of The Return of the King.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Another thought: The Silmarillion is VERY violent, especially when the Orcs have their day (but not only then, by far). The Children of Hurin – same thing, and it is a rather depressing story, the central tragedy of the First Age.
So mass-market like LotR, let alone The Hobbit, can hardly be done without changing the story beyond recognition. And art film would probably have nothing remotely approaching the resources for the necessary CGI.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
True, i didn;t think about the violence factor. And I know a lot of people who couldn;t even stand DoS because of the violence... Which I, personally, didn;t think was very excessive. But, I have a feeling that The Silmarillion would be closer to the rated R range than PG-13 like LOTR and TH. RotK and DoS were borderline anyways. Because of my age, I wouldn;t be able to see a Rated R film in theatres without and adult.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Christopher Tolkien has the rights to all of the books except The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, so any hope of The Silmarillion or any of the others being made into a movie is dashed. The appendices are our only hope and I believe that Peter Jackson has already said that after There and Back Again, there will be no more. But that does not mean someone else can't do it. tarcolan mentioned a copyright running out in 2043. Some of us might still be around...
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
LadyElarinya
Council Member
Send Message
With all the faults and merits of the movies, I'm really going to miss having Middle-Earth on the big screen. We still have the books, of course, but the visual stimulation was nice.

But, hey...Like Lindarielwen said, maybe in a few decades we get a new movie, or a reboot, I don't know.
"O môr henion i dhû: Ely siriar, êl síla. Ai! Aníron Undómiel. Tiro! Êl eria e môr. I 'lîr en êl luitha 'úren. Ai! Aníron…"
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
2043? OK, not entirely impossible. But by then my avatar will look YOUNGER than I will then. May have to switch to a decrepit Theoden avatar.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Haha. I will be around, albeit 45 years old, but around...
Silmelirie
Council Member
Send Message
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a Beren and Lúthien movie. Or some other story from the Silmarillion.

It's hard to believe there won't be any more movies. Maybe not major movies like PJ's, but I'm sure there will be others.
~*You are not wrong, who deem That my days have been a dream; Yet if hope has flown away In a night, or in a day, In a vision, or in none, Is it therefore the less gone? All that we see or seem Is but a dream within a dream.*~
ImageImageImage
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email