Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
NenyaGold
Legend of Lothlórien & Head Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
Post ~ Giants vs Royals ~
on: October 22, 2014 05:01
Is anyone else watching the World Series?
Gandalfs_Pipe
Council Member
Send Message
I am! GO ROYALS!!
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
I am watching it at my house. GO ROYALS!!

NenyaGold who do you hope will win?
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
NenyaGold
Send Message
Yay! But, GO GIANTS! Are you close enough to go to a game?
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Alas, I am not. However, if i was, I would not go anyway. The last game I attended was in Ohio..Cleveland Indians vs.? and my reward for going was the jerk behind me spilling his beer on my hair. Not on purpose, the guy was just drunk.
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
NenyaGold
Send Message
Looks like we posted at the same time. I figured by noting the Giants first in the title it would be obvious...

That's not a very good stadium experience... But if he was drunk, at least it was only his beer...

I have the same question for GP -- I'm always curious about where people live. It mostly explains why you're for a certain team but sometimes, like a friend who is REALLY into hockey, it doesn't. She likes watching the San Jose Sharks AND the Pittsburgh Penguins, and she lives in the Midwest! She's also a Blues fan.
Gandalfs_Pipe
Council Member
Send Message
I'm only rooting for the Royals because the Twins (my favorite team) were in their divison.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
I picked the Royals because that is who my friend is for...

Well, the Royals took a beating last night.

I am a former Clevelander and do not like the Indians because of that awful face of Chief Wahoo. I think it is degrading to Native Americans.

In football, I like the Ravens because Art Modell moved the team from Cleveland but let the name *Browns* stay in Cleveland.

Basketball, where ever LeBron James plays, is my fave team. Sadly that is now the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Here, in Florida, even though there are plenty of teams to like, I do not have a favourite.

Now, if you want to talk about NASCAR....

Due to the win of the Royals last night, The Series is now tied 1-1.

[Edited on 10/23/2014 by Lindarielwen]
NenyaGold
Send Message
And the Giants took a beating last night! Ouch! The headlines in the local paper were "No Relief"! At least it will be an interesting series.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Yeah, the series is tied and both scores were closely matched. I like good games like that. It will go down to the wire, I think.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Giants here, because they used to play in NY, Willie Mays played for them in NY and SF, and the the last (two?) years he played for the NY Mets.
NenyaGold
Send Message
Gandolorin, Willie Mays is my all-time favorite baseball player! Along with Willie McCovey, who played first base, the base I always played. Long before they had the games on TV, I'd listen to them on the radio with my Dad.

I'm taking my folks to San Francisco's Pier 27 Saturday for their cruise down to Mexico and back, and we go RIGHT by AT&T Park. I'll wave for us all!
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
The Say Hey Kid is right up at the top of the players I remember seeing on TV. The 1969 Miracle Mets are my favorite team, and the only one to top Willie is "Bad Henry" Aaron. Go back some decades and you have the Mount Everest of Baseball, The Babe. World-class pitcher for the Red Sox, held a consecutive scoreless innings record in the World Series only broken by Whitey Ford of the Yankess in the 1950s or 1960s, the rest is history (and had he taken his sport a seriously as Bad Henry, his records would be beyond reach).

PS: Saving posts regularly goes haywire here around CET 11 PM

[Edited on 10/24/2014 by Gandolorin]
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
§$%&@€#µ 1

Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
§$%&@€#µ 2

NenyaGold
Send Message
The "Say Hey Kid"! And when he hit a home run, Lon Simmons, or Russ Hodges, I don't remember which of the SF announcers, would holler, "Bye, Bye Baby!" I haven't thought of that in years!

Might I suggest that you type your post in a Word document before you post it in the thread? That way, if it doesn't post (for various reasons...) you haven't lost it. I used to do this when we had *dial-up* and before CoE had a spell checker.

There is also an *Add Reply* button at the top of the thread where you can Preview your post before you Submit it.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
NenyaGold said:Might I suggest that you type your post in a Word document before you post it in the thread?

I did that in the beginning, but kept getting annoying pop-up messages. I now use a draft Thunderbird (e-mail) message as my draft document AND spell-checker.

PS: yes I know about "Add Reply", but as far as I know it also does not spell-check (which is the function I need most of all!)

NenyaGold
Send Message
Spell check works in Add Reply. Well, at least it does in IE...
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
I just heard the final score...

Royals..3 Giants...2

Royals now lead the Series 2-1
ElfwithAtatude
Council Member
Send Message
WWWWWOOOOOOO HHHHHHHHOOOOOOO!!!! GO ROYALS!! rooted for the home team!! I guess that kinda tells you where I'm from...but yeah! Go Boys in Blue!! Btw does anyone else think that Shields isn't the Royals best pitcher?? Also, BumGardener, I think is the pitcher for the Giants, he's really good. Ill give them that.
Image "We all change when you think about it. We're all different people all through out our lives. And that's okay. That's good. You gotta keep moving so long as you remember all the people that you used to be." -- The 11th Doctor
NenyaGold
Send Message
Congrats to the Royals!

Madison is good, but Timmy is definitely my favorite pitcher.
NenyaGold
Send Message
*does the Double Post Disco* Image Image

We have a series!

When I drove by AT&T park around 2:00 yesterday, lots of people were already milling about. When I drove by 15 minutes later, it was a ZOO!!! I did see two blue shirts though, but they were readily engulfed by a sea of orange and black. Just in time for Halloween!
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Giants creamed the Royals....11 to 4....must have been a great game

Series tied....2-2

My friend says there will never be a sweep because the sponsors want the games to go all the way... more revenue he says. Has there ever been a series when all it took was 4 games?
NenyaGold
Send Message
There were a lot of sweeps. One of the most recent was the Giants sweeping the Tigers in 2012. But the most memorable for me was the Battle of the Bridge (or the Battle of the Bay because the Bay Bridge connects SF with Oakland...) -- The Oakland A's playing the Giants. It was 25 years ago last week that the Earthquake of '89 hit just a few minutes before the first game was to begin in Candlestick Park. It was delayed and when they finally played, the A's swept the Giants.

Here's a list of the all the Series.

[Edited on 10/26/2014 by NenyaGold]
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Hey your Giants won the last sweep! Yay! Totally love the info, NenyaGold. I love, love, love that now I have some *ammo* to sling! (claps hands)

Your avi is so cool! Will you change it after Halloween?

NenyaGold
Send Message
LOL! Enjoy your slinging!

Thank you for the compliment on Squeeker. She's only up for the week so I'll replace her after Halloween. We had to put her down a year ago Friday, so I didn't have her up last year.

GO GIANTS!
Jedi Knight Elrohir Sparrow
Council Member
Send Message
I was watching the world series last night. Does anyone else dislike Hunter Pence?
"A time may come soon, when none will return. Then there will be need of valour without renown, for none shall remember the deeds that are done in the last defence of your homes. Yet the deeds will not be less valiant because they are unpraised." --Aragorn, Return of the King, pg. 767
NenyaGold
Send Message
Is there a reason you dislike Hunter Pence? I think he's really talented! I also like that he wears knee socks -- he looks early 1900's retro! And I noticed that he's the only one on the team that does.

How did your ammo slinging go, Lindarielwen?

Speaking of Shut Outs!

GO GIANTS!

[Edited on 10/27/2014 by NenyaGold]
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
The guyfriend was quite impressed with my newfound knowledge so that was a lot of fun.

I usually watch the Series, mostly just to watch it, but I must say that this time has been the most enjoyable! Just because of your enthusiasm, I hope the Giants win it all!

I love the retro look for the uniforms. I seem to remember that Cleveland's Jim Thome wore his socks that way.

I will think of your dear Squeeker on Friday
NenyaGold
Send Message
LOL! It's always fun to prove your point with facts. I'm glad he was impressed.

Hopefully they can clinch it tomorrow night.

GO GIANTS!

Thank you for your kind thoughts for Squeeker. Image
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Tonight's the night!
NenyaGold
Send Message
OUCH OUCH OUCH OUCH OUCH OUCH OUCH OUCH OUCH OUCH!!! Yeah, there are 10 of them!
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
What the heck happened???? I thought my eyes deceived me and had to look again. Well, it was some game though.

Tonight's the night.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
One has to dig in the sites of our public TV stations to find baseball, it has about the status here of field hockey in the US. So the series is tied at 3-3 and going the distance.

Just a tidbit from 1969, the year of the Miracle Mets World Series win:
1969 was an expansion year, both leagues going from 10 to 12 teams (San Diego Padres and Montreal Expos being the new teams in the NL). It was also the first year that both leagues were split into western and eastern - ah - conferences? Whatever. Anyway, the Mets overtook their Eastern Conference rival Chicago Cubs relatively late and then stayed in front (and won 100 games, would have been pennant winners under the old setup, too).
In the Western Conference, the SF Giants were in the running (played at Candlestick Park at the time) for the conference title, but ultimately were overtaken by the Atlanta Braves.

Eastern Conference Chicago, Illinois;
Western Conference Atlanta, Georgia.

Yep. Image
NenyaGold
Send Message
Woohoo!!! Fireworks are going off all around us!!! KC gave us a run for it and played well. Congrats Giants!
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email