Register

Author Topic:
St1cky8
Council Member
Send Message
Post Sindarin Tengwar
on: February 29, 2016 12:43
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could help... I was looking to get a tattoo of my girlfriend's name in Sindarin/Tengwar.

a) Is there a different kind of Tengwar for Sindarin and other Elven languages?

b) Could anyone write the name 'Abigail' in Sindarin Tengwar?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
dirk_math
Quenya Workbook Mentor
Send Message
Removed!

[Edited on 02/29/2016 by dirk_math]
Yassë engë lómë, anarties calali.
St1cky8
Council Member
Send Message
Thanks but I wanted the Sindarin translation.
Elthir
Council Member
Send Message
Hello. When someone asks for a name translation it makes things easier if the meaning of the Real World name is provided... if the person asking knows of course.

I don't know the meaning, but using Ales Bican's Quenya baby book names, Ales suggests...

ABIGAIL (f.) - Heb. 'father's joy'; atar "father", alasse "joy", so Ataralas

So that's Quenya, and you want Sindarin (or Neo-Sindarin as I call anything not written by Tokien himself), so I would say...

*Adarlas

This is based on Tolkien's Borlas, assuming -glass is the final element, as it was in the period when he wrote Etymologies anyway

So if that swims, then you want this name transcribed in a mode used for Sindarin. For two examples, there's a full mode, illustrated in The Fellowship of the Ring (Tolkien's depiction of the Doors of Durin), or a mode which employs vowel diacritics instead of full vowels (generally speaking), illustrated in the King's Letter (one of the versions) published in Sauron Defeated.

If you don't care which mode, all the easier

Now that said, I don't know how to make pictures appear in threads, and I've currently no way of writing in the tengwar with my computer in any case. And I don't want to learn how (lazy that I am).

I could choose a mode and describe the letters in order (referring to the numbered chart in the back of The Return of the King for the basic letter shapes), but in the past this has proved confusing for some, and usually a waste of my time.

So, if Adarlas is agreed upon as "correct enough", and will do (if you like the sound), maybe someone who has the magic of conjuring tengwar in threads will transcribe it for you.

Possibly. Or possibly Abigail means something else!
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email