Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
_Telchar
Council Member
Send Message
Post Ind. Pronouns (Copula left out)
on: June 27, 2017 06:53
Lesson 18 says that independent pronouns can be used when the copula is left out (with the example Le vanima, you [are] beautiful). Is that the only way to express, with a pronoun as the subject, what in English would be a predicate adjective or predicate nominative?
Lacho calad! Drego morn!
dirk_math
Quenya Workbook Mentor
Send Message
No, you need them also when the subject isn't a personal pronoun but the object is: i roquen cennë le 'The knight saw him'.
And when they follow a preposition: i roquen tarnë cata le 'the knight stood behind you'.
Even though some prepositions like as '(together) with' change form when followed by a personal pronoun: 'with you' is ólë.
And of course personal pronouns can take all the case endings (except genitive and possessive they are expressed by possessive endings): len, lenna, lello, lenen, lessë (and les).
Yassë engë lómë, anarties calali.
_Telchar
Council Member
Send Message
OK, thanks. Actually, what I was more wondering about was whether there's another way to use a copula-sentence with a pronoun subject, or whether just leaving out the copula and using an independent pronoun is the standard way to do that.
Lacho calad! Drego morn!
dirk_math
Quenya Workbook Mentor
Send Message
The other way is to write the copula ná (or nar) explicitely. It is never wrong to add them.
_Telchar
Council Member
Send Message
OK. So would "Le ná vanima" be correct?
Lacho calad! Drego morn!
dirk_math
Quenya Workbook Mentor
Send Message
Yes, but usually it would be shortened to nal vanima or nalyë vanima.
_Telchar
Council Member
Send Message
Ah. Thanks for your patience.
Lacho calad! Drego morn!
erutan2099
Council Member
Send Message
dirk_math said:Yes, but usually it would be shortened to nal vanima or nalyë vanima.

I personally prefer to subscribe to the convention of utilizing the extended form only when another ending follows it.

Example :

You drink. - Sucil.
You drink it. - Sucilyes.

This seems to make more sense to me when speaking the language due to the fact that people when speaking, especially when speaking fast, tend to want to shorten the words even if only subconsciously to allow the point to get across efficiently.

I realize that this might not be applicable to those who live for extended periods of time.

What do you think?

ooh, perhaps that could be a regional thing - perhaps some areas of Elves did this while others did not - creating a sort of regional accent.
-Erunámo -"Istyallo, Ilu."
dirk_math
Quenya Workbook Mentor
Send Message
I also prefer the short forms when no object is present. But I indicated both forms as this might also be read by supporters of the long endings.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email