Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Erik1993
Council Member
Send Message
Post Program to help learn Quenya words and verbs
on: July 04, 2017 07:21
When I was doing the exercises of the Quenya course I made a python script to help me learn the Quenya words and some of the more frequently used verb tenses. (It randomly picks a word and if it is a verb a random tense, you will have to type in the right Quenya translation)

I can imagine that some other people here might benefit from this and would therefore like to post it somewhere here so others could download and use it. Where would be the best place where I can post it?
dirk_math
Quenya Workbook Mentor
Send Message
To upload something you will need the permission of Rivka. She is the site owner.
Yassë engë lómë, anarties calali.
erutan2099
Council Member
Send Message
If you have a google drive you might consider making a shared folder and posting the link here.
-Erunámo -"Istyallo, Ilu."
Erik1993
Council Member
Send Message
On the link below the program can be downloaded, the txt files contain the words the script needs. The .py file is the script.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0D78bAVWogzM1lvWUM4VjFOUEE

The script obviously requires python to run, you will need version 3.1 or higher.
Also some (standard) packages will be required. It will be easiest to install spyder and run from there (https://www.continuum.io/downloads) (this will ensure all required packages are installed from the get go)

Before first running the script one line needs to be edited.
You will need to change the line which is located at the beginning of the script:
folder=r'D:/ENQU'
between the ''s you will need to put the path to the location where you put all the txt files

You can then run the program (press F5 or the green triangle), note that the only tested bit of this script is when you use "choose categories", "repeat" (which will repeat any words you answered wrong) and "verbs" which will ask for some of the various verb tenses.

I made this for myself but hope others will find this useful as well. I do not claim to be an expert in Quenya and can therefore not guarantee that all words or verb tenses are correct.

[Edited on 07/11/2017 by Erik1993]
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email