Register

<< First2829303132
Author Topic:
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: The Hobbit film
on: May 22, 2012 03:08
Found the link for myself since nólemë is offline. I haven't been this ticked at the scriptwriters since Frodo told Sam to 'go home'. I agree with nólemë it sounds like a bad fanfiction. I really hope they decide not to do this. They could add so much more drama and tension to the film by instead wondering and trying to figure out if the Necromancer in Mirkwood is Sauron or one of his servants.
Maybe it won't be as bad as it sounds though.

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2012/04/27/55378-hobbit-footage-review-massive-spoilers-full-coverage-analysis/
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: May 22, 2012 03:39
Well, that's true Ilandir. Darn.

I am just hoping that PJ treats the Hobbit like he did LOTR. I think he did fantastic with LOTR and even though there are parts in it that I don't necessarily like, they are ok. And some other parts he added did well. So, faith in the Hobbit!
Lord_Sauron
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 22, 2012 04:50
The nine were not captured and imprisioned so i don't think Peter should have added in that. i don't even recall them being mentioned in the Hobbit book. the thing i would like to know if Peter is going to show the Necromancer/Sauron as an eyeball top of Dol Gulder (hope not)
~nólemë~
Fan Creations Admin & Creations Forum Moderator
Send Message
on: May 22, 2012 04:56
///SPOILERS AHEAD///
Like I said, I am feeling torn about the movie. There are things I like, there are things I am indifferent to or don't mind, and there are things I dislike. Speaking of the Witch-king debate, I just fail to see what purpose it would serve to substitute canon with nonsense about rangers sealing WK in a tomb. (if it's aimed at action fans, why is it a *debate*?) What are they trying to achieve? Make Gandalf look even sillier after his Witch-king encounter fiasco in RotK, since mere Men can handle a monster like the Witch-king? O_o If only they stuck to the Sauron-Necromancer topic, perhaps the Nine roaming about, and left the North Kingdom out of this.

Unlike others, I wasn't too much bothered about Radagast on a rabbit-drawn sledge and having nests in his beard or whatever; it is a children's tale after all, and if Beorn can use animals to serve him, I wouldn't put it past Radagast.
However, the more striking the Dol Guldur storyline and Morgul blades and tombs and all that, then - kind of unbalanced it seems to me. First bunny sledges, next action and darkness and living dead? Kind of like throw-it-all-in-the-pot-and-stir-it venture it seems to me.

I'll go and see the movie when it comes out, if I like I'll go watch it again and buy the DVDs and Extended stuff, if I don't like it I won't re-watch or buy anything. I just hope PJ knows what he's doing.
---------- Image "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." J.R.R. Tolkien - The Hobbit
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 22, 2012 09:10
I'll go and see the movie when it comes out, if I like I'll go watch it again and buy the DVDs and Extended stuff, if I don't like it I won't re-watch or buy anything. I just hope PJ knows what he's doing.

My thoughts exactly.
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: May 22, 2012 10:02
I know that PJ has to appeal to people who have not read the Hobbit, or maybe have not really seen LOTR very much and such. But he better remember that he'll have alot of angry Tolkien enthusiasts to deal with if he's not careful!

It's a hard balance to keep everyone happy... oh wait that never happens. lol
Morglin
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 01, 2012 06:51
Does anybody have any idea if/when there is a red carpet premier of The Hobbit in London? I've done my fair share of internet stalking but google won't help me on this one! I figured some of you guys might know? There's one in NZ but sadly, as much as I'd love to, I don't have 10 grand to go there and do the tour

Any ideas would be helpful!
Ilandir
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 02, 2012 12:25
Morglin, as far as I'm aware, the worldwide premier will be held sometime end of November in Wellington NZ. However, there is no definite date for it yet - so even for London, there are no dates yet (as far as I'm concerned). Still, I'm sure they will be releasing some info soon this coming Summer ...
NimrodelArwenka
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 07, 2012 01:14
How do you guys feel about making The Hobbit movie a trilogy?
I was disappointed that we will have to wait longer to see all of it and that the story might get way too raged but than the good thing is... they will be able to show us the story in a lot more detailed way, right?
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: August 07, 2012 02:07
I am not as excited, unfortunately. It's good that they are trying to include some of the stuff in the appendixes, but I'm afraid that making The Hobbit a trilogy will cause them to add "filler" stuff that isn't canon. I just don't see the Hobbit being a trilogy. But, of course I will still go see it and hope for the best.
Ilandir
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 29, 2012 09:08
SPOILERS BEWARE!

Thranduil has been revealed in the publication of 'The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Annual 2013'
http://www-images.theonering.org/torwp/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Thranduil.jpg

Along with that, a picture of the White Council assembled.
http://www-images.theonering.org/torwp/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/White-Council.jpg

Enjoy!
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 30, 2012 12:51
The stuff with the White Council will be interesting to see. I keep going back and forth between being really excited and wanting to see the movies to dreading that they'll turn it into something very loosely based on the book.
LinweSingollo
Movies & Casting Mod, Resident Hobbit & Frodo's Footstool
Send Message
on: August 31, 2012 04:30
Looks like we're got our official film titles:

I. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
II. The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug
III. The Hobbit: There and Back Again

Read more here, including the release date for the 3rd film: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/third-hobbit-film-sets-release-367258
"To the Hobbits. May they outlast the Sarumans and see spring again in the trees." J.R.R. Tolkien
QueenofRingers
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 08, 2012 01:05
Hey fellow ringers!!! ! My sister and I are doing a video blog count down to The Hobbit! Each week we read a chapter of the book and discuss it. So please check it out and be sure to follow each week!!!

We would love to get your feedback to make it even better!!!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zDTUq7KglRM
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 10, 2012 12:31
What does everyone think of the possible picture of the goblin king? I don't think it's authentic as it's incredibly different from the orcs in LOTR, but as someone pointed out on the site it might have been del Toro's vision when he was director.
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: September 10, 2012 05:14
I don't think the Goblin King is unlike some of the goblins we saw in Moria. I mean, he could be related. I think he looks alright. But we'll see if he is the true Goblin King or not.

I like how Thranduil looks! Much better than what he is described in the books (sorry, but he seems more realistic here). I like how they incorporated the leaves in his crown and stuff.
~nólemë~
Fan Creations Admin & Creations Forum Moderator
Send Message
on: September 10, 2012 10:55
I don't like the Goblin at all, whoever he is; he looks very cheesy to me.

Thranduil is better - I like how they put bling on him, and appreciate them putting long hair on him. I can't stand the black eyebrows though - combined with the blonde wig, it's just unnatural and creepy. The crown looked somewhat silly to me, as it didn't speak 'woodland' to me, rather it's difficult to make out what those things stuck in his hair are - could be arrows as well.

And I must say I preferred Ngila Dickson's flowy, loose Elven costumes - these tight-fitting garbs feel just odd to me. I felt the LotR costumes gave the Elves more personality and better differentiated them from Men. But maybe we'll see more flowiness on screen, these are just promo photos after all.
---------- Image "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." J.R.R. Tolkien - The Hobbit
AnaGreen
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 21, 2012 02:51
Yea, by the way, how is that even possible to make The Hobbit a trilogy? I mean, I am very much excited and already in love with trailers- PJ sure knows what HQ means!And, does anyone know- it's 48-frame!!!- But if you compare LoTR being a trilogy( hardly, but heads up- they've managed it), but The Hobbit?! Not that I doubt we're in for a breath-taker, but still- two movies- yess, yes, precious. But three? How's that going to work?
Sassyfriend
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 25, 2012 04:16
I don't know but i'm ready for em!!!!!!
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: September 25, 2012 04:54
So what does people think of the latest Hobbit trailer?

For me I loved it.. however the only thing that got me was the scenes with Galadriel/Gandalf. :/ They seem rather fishy and weird to me!
AnaGreen
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 26, 2012 03:25
Yea, the trailers are magnificent! Definitely can't wait! So is the premiere on Dec. 14 or somewhere in November?
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: September 26, 2012 11:34
I believe the Hobbit is still slated for Dec 14. I have not heard otherwise.
Ilandir
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 27, 2012 01:08
The worldwide premiere will occur in New Zealand on November 28th - however, yes 14th December is still the official release date.

P.S. for those worried about the Gandalf/Galadriel scene - I don't really know what all the fuss is. You're getting the wrong interpretation! The way I see it is a beautiful scene of this meeting between an Elf and a Maia who have probably met in Valinor and are now looking back at those times with nostalgia. The way I see Galadriel's hand-thing is as if she's saying to Gandalf how his body has changed since arriving in Middle-Earth. There's no romance involved - don't worry!
Elthir
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 05, 2012 09:55
P.S. for those worried about the Gandalf/Galadriel scene - I don't really know what all the fuss is. You're getting the wrong interpretation!

Well to some this gesture is notably intimate or notably familiar. It's not necessarily romantic, but (in my opinion at least) would otherwise be seen among family members, or notably close friends -- and even there, possibly depending upon the moment.

Of course it's subjective given that these kinds of things can vary between cultures, and even between people within the same culture, but given that nothing like this kind of gesture appears between these characters in the book, my stance is that Jackson (or someone on his team) could have rather taken the more prudent decision here (once the idea arose among the filmmakers), as far as being faithful to the book.

There are other ways to present concern, if this is what Jackson was going for, for example.

The way I see it is a beautiful scene of this meeting between an Elf and a Maia who have probably met in Valinor and are now looking back at those times with nostalgia.

Not that you said otherwise, but there's no specific indication (that I remember anyway) that Olorin and Galadriel ever met in Valinor, and the text notes that Olorin walked unseen among the Elves in general, or in form as one of them, and they did not know...

'... whence came the fair visions or the promptings of wisdom that he put into their hearts.'

Leoflic_Nightleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 14, 2012 03:32
Quote from Aragorn16Estel on October 13, 2012, 07:46

And last of all this! http://blastr.com/2012/10/lego-set-reveals-how-we-c.php

I can put up with the other two things, they are just opinions but this change of story (if it is) is unacceptable.

The spiders was always one of my favourite parts and Bilbo's heroic fight, now we're going have two bad-ass elves.
Oh seriously. Please tell me that that is not news to anyone. I've known about Leggy being in there for months, and that was the obvious place to put him. And idk that it really matters, because although in the book he was not mentioned there, there is no reason to think he wasn't there. Cause i mean, if he was over 1000 in LOTR, then he was just 50> years younger in the Hobbit, so he was definately in Mirkwood. Nothing wrong with that. And as for Thranduil's crown'o'thorns, i agree with Lastiel_Rusc who said this
Now as for Thranduil's Crown... I'm hoping that it might be in only one costume (I heard that the costume he's wearing is for battle...we will see)if it is the battle costume it would make sense to have a more 'evil' looking crown even if it does place a huge target on him. But also keep in mind PJ is probably tying to keep the elves from looking all the same. And Mirkwood elves aren't the friendliest group of people on the planet, I personally believe that they have a tendency to Shoot/attack first ask questions latter.
And just keep in mind that this is Peter Jackson in question, and guys like him just can't resist making something more Awesome sometimes lol!

~Leo
lotrproject
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 14, 2012 04:33
I too have concerns with the direction this is going but I think I will wait until the release before I judge to hard.

Emil
Cillendor
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 20, 2012 05:10
Quote from AnaGreen on September 22, 2012, 00:51
Yea, by the way, how is that even possible to make The Hobbit a trilogy? I mean, I am very much excited and already in love with trailers- PJ sure knows what HQ means!And, does anyone know- it's 48-frame!!!- But if you compare LoTR being a trilogy( hardly, but heads up- they've managed it), but The Hobbit?! Not that I doubt we're in for a breath-taker, but still- two movies- yess, yes, precious. But three? How's that going to work?

Despite The Hobbit being such a short book compared to The Lord of the Rings, the main adventures each cover the span of a little over a year. Also, the first couple of chapters of The Fellowship of the Ring all account for background information and tedious storytelling over a twenty-year duration. So if you remove all of that, then the they are a little closer together in length.

Also consider that Gandalf's dealings with the White Council and the Necromancer and the dwarves' adventures when Bilbo isn't present are only briefly summarized in The Hobbit, but The Lord of the Rings covers multiple characters' separate trails simultaneously. If The Lord of the Rings only dealt with a single character's journey like The Hobbit did until the final battle, then it would be a much shorter book as well.

Next, there are many places in The Hobbit where Tolkien simply saw fit to summarize several days or weeks with a single sentence saying how much time had passed. This works fine in a book, but if the movie simply had a subtitle saying "ONE MONTH LATER" every time the book skipped over a lot, the audience would quickly grow to dislike it because it would appear way too choppy. Better to create a few new situations than to bore audiences by…

telling instead of showing. Which leads me to my last point: Show, don't tell. This is a very important feature in movies. It is much more entertaining to watch a story unfold rather than listen to it be explained. That is why Peter Jackson used three movies to tell the story about the Ring's history and its relationship to Gollum that Gandalf told to Frodo before he ever left the Shire in the book version. By breaking the story up into smaller bits and inserting the segments into several different places in the trilogy, viewers still got the whole story, but didn't have to watch a boring twenty minutes of Gandalf narrating it all. I don't doubt that some of the "filler" information will include watching Smaug conquer Erebor and Dale, just as we saw the defeat of Sauron in the beginning of The Fellowship of the Ring.

There are many reasons to drag this out into three movies. Personally, I wish Jackson would have made each book in the trilogy into two movies, or at least filmed an hour of extra footage for each movie. But with The Hobbit, since it does span a whole year and is missing almost all detail of Gandalf's journey, I think a new trilogy will be fine.

As a side note, trilogies are becoming the norm for movies with more than a single entry. I think there is something inherent to humans, or at least those of us in Western culture, where we prefer everything to be in triplets. That could have something to do with the psychology of three films.
AnaGreen
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 25, 2012 12:59
Wow, Smoore, you know how to make your opinion clear, all right! ahah! But aye, i think you're rather right on this one, Gandalf's journey is really missed out COMPLETELY. He just left the Company at the entrance of Mirkwood and came back only at the end, pretty much. So yea, that is the main point of the movies in general, you know, to SHOW. On the contrary, I do not doubt that Peter knows his way around in making a spectacular film, though i very much hope that an intense clarification of pre-history will not diminish a possibility of The Silmarillion being screened. However, that is rather a pathetic point to doubt. Oh, and yes, I wish LotR was a bit more extended too. For, i mean, the absence of Tom Bombadil was just most disappointing. As for your 'side-note', i dare to disagree. Nothing really queer about it when you look deeper, it's just simply- the magic never ends. Mr. Tolkien always knew that himself. (as it says in his biography by Michael Coren- most marvelous piece of writing, i shall point out). Tolkien, creating such massive work already, still managed to leave a space for readers interpretation- like with Grey Heavens, or simply the end of the book- with Sam and his vague happy years-to-come, giving only a brief overview on future events much involving the family- trees. Not to mention Pippin and Marry. So it's got not much to do with any human sociology. Take Harry Potter, for example- spectacular work involving 7 huge books, for crying out loud! So yea, it never ends. And it's one of the many things that is amazing about it. At least by my mind.
Legolas Greenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 26, 2012 07:33
I am very excited about these films! But I'm not sure how they are going to fill 3 films with it, though I don't think it will be a problem. Film 1 will end at the barrel scene, if you didn't know. I am very happy that they are including gandalf's adventures while he is gone in it, and there is plen of material to cover. This is going to be a great movie!
AnaGreen
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 05, 2012 01:37
By the way, now that we talk about it, where WAS Gandalf while everyone else was dealing with wickedness of Mirkwood? It doesn't say anywhere...
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: November 05, 2012 05:02
I believe that is when he went with the White Council to deal with the Necromancer? I could be wrong though.
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
on: November 06, 2012 03:04
Yes he did but the dates are a bit worrying. The party seem to have gone from Rivendell to Beorn's house in less than two weeks! Then Gandalf immediately goes off to Dol Guldur before joining the action again at the battle nearly 3 months later! What was he doing all that time? No doubt the film will have the answer.
Leoflic_Nightleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 06, 2012 08:17
Yes, hopefully it will!
Rulea
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 11, 2012 06:55
Has anyone seen the elvish costumes yet? They look so different from the ones in Lord of the Rings.
Aragorn16Estel
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 13, 2012 12:58
Hello all!,

I just saw this picture of the great goblin:http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-_U0uqsWd3YA/UGOTSnmLdjI/AAAAAAAABA4/kipKYyGHy3U/s640/41seMUEaQgL.jpg

Are Peter Jacksons artists drunk or somthing, what kind of a rubbish design is that! I honestly can't belive what they have created as the great goblin, its just cheap and tacky. This is a big disapointment to me, is anyone else dissapointed about this?

Whats sad, is they have got so much right, the dwarfs, Bilbo, the sets, the Goblins in Moria are far better they looked evil, not like, giant fat old men (No offence to any old people here)
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever. - Psalm 23
<< First2829303132
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email