Author Topic:
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
Post Sequence by sequence #10: Flight to the Ford
on: June 20, 2003 02:30
yeay, here we are again

nice caps of this sequence are to be found here

please, please, please refrain from *just* posting 'Glorfindel should have been in this scene', there's another thread for that (which can be found here), this series of threads is mainly meant to discuss the movies and the nice little details or the characters, or the flaws, or the things you don't like - but only on the basis of a bit of an argument

and this weeks poll is terribly original: which scene did you like best?
Isengard: Gandalf the Mothwhisperer and the Birth of Lurtz
11% (5)
an unexpected encounter
14% (6)
the actual ride to the ford
41% (1)
Arwen, Queen Of the One Liners (the Ford)
20% (9)
Arwen, just Arwen
7% (3)
none of it
7% (3)
gaelowyn
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Sequence by sequence #10: Flight to the Ford
on: June 20, 2003 02:44
yeah!! i get to be first!!! lol.
ok, as a person who had not read the books before seeing the movie, I had no clue that Arwen was a scene stealing elf princess! so, for me, the action of the horse chase was just so fun.. and tense! I could feel the wraith's breath on my neck when he got so close, and you could see that frodo looked as if he wanted to slide off the horse and into the wraith's hands..I just wanted to yell NOOOO!! be strong frodo!! be strong! I thought the the huge river/tidal wave thing was great! the white water hero horses trampling the evil wraiths.. way cool! and the elvish being spoken.. so beautiful and smooth. i love the sound of it! then frodo falls off the horse and looks dead, and arwen is crying and i thought.." he can't die.. i know this much! but it sure looks bad for frodo right now!" a fade to white.. and now he's in bed!! great scene! I love how in the forest it was all blue and dark and kind of cold feeling, then in comes arwen.. a bright shining light that nearly blinds frodo..you really get to see that part through his eyes.. you feel as if the whole rest of the world has slipped away, and all you can see is this elf and all you can hear is her telling you to come back to the light... very powerful to me.
Simbelmyne
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 20, 2003 05:09
I really liked Arwen's ford lines. Liv Tyler really grasped that ethereal elven accent, the elvish really flowed. The thing that annoyed me a bit was after: Elrond appearing didn't look quite right. Looked sort of weird.

More later.
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: June 20, 2003 11:07
i liked the high speed dash to the ford... where the horses were all chasing them. that was exciting! and to be honest when i first saw it i was more excited about the horses in the water (i adored the image of that in the book and of course was pleased to see it in the film) it was only after reading around a bit about other peoples opinions on the film i started to think that probably frodo should have rode on his own.

frodo looked terrible in that scene (in a good way.. uh kind of) which fitted and then when the wraiths "died" i loved the fact that he started to fade too... that was great, another detail from the book i wasnt sure they would add in properly. that line of arwens where she looked so sad was good too.

i was sad we didnt see the others role in that scene.... where htey stood on the bank with fire. but like i said i was so impressed that they did the white horses i didnt really mind.

arwen herself.. hmm yes. well my opinions on liv tyler not looking like an elf have been brung up elsewhere i believe

basically an exciting scene. it is a shame frodo couldnt do it on his own, but they did keep the white horses in
ShyHobbit
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 20, 2003 02:30
I was what I guess you call a "Tolkien Virgin" when I saw the movie, had no idea what it was about cept a little guy and something about rings. When I saw the sword on Strider and then heard the woman's voice, I was like "Oh great, not another smart mouth hero woman.." and then when they started with the Elvish, then to me some strange fictinal language I thought it was getting a little too Star Trek/Babylon 5-ish for me. But then HORSES! We get to see horses! I've been a horse freak for years and I swoon for Asfaloth The sense of urgency along with the creepiness of the wraiths was pulled off very well. Altogether, it was a good scene.

*scuttles off*
Roheryn
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 20, 2003 04:51
This is one of my favorite scenes from the movie. I love the chase part of the scene - the riding was fantastic, great horsemen and woman. Asfaloth was so gorgeous. When the raith reached out and almost touched Frodo I nearly screamed at him to get away. And I didn't really mind Arwen at all. The way it was worked into the film, with her riding with Frodo all that way and across the river gave us that thrilling chase. It's not quite as exciting, at least not in the same urgent way, in the book. True Frodo does cross the river alone on Asfaloth and stand up to the raiths, but there's no long chase. And the river horses was so cool, exactly like I imagined them. Definately a favorite scene, even as changed.
drunken_elf
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 20, 2003 06:18
My favourite part of this sequence was the actual ride to the ford. The horses, and the wraiths, and the scenery, it was all spectacular! I also love the birth of Lurtz scene, because the cinematography and special effects in this scene are just amazing! When you hear them talking about it on the commentaries, you just appreciate it even more! But Arwen's ride was just great, I especially love a shot when Asfaloth jumps over a log and the camera is at ground level looking up when Asfaloth lands - brilliant! Another one of my favourite scenes - the music was also very good!
Simbelmyne
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 21, 2003 01:19
I also liked the "Flight to the Ford" sequence. Asfaloth was a pretty good horse, and the camera stuff, and the Ringwraiths gradually closing in...brilliant.

I'm also glad they put the white horses in, although I'm slightly annoyed because I don't really feel Arwen should be able to do that. I mean, she shouldn't really know that, since I doubt Elrond would have made her aware of that...I mean, could his sons have done it without being the Masters of Rivendell.

I felt the wraith grabbing at Frodo shouldn't really have happened: Asfaloth is really supposed to almost outrun them before they get near to the ford.

Gandalf the mothwhisperer was interesting: according to some people, they thought the moth looked like a bat. :dizzy: I'm not sure if Gandalf would have actually spoken to moths, unless the istari passed on some qualities to their "brothers".

But after all that, it was still a great scene.

~*~Simbelmyne~*~
Celebriloth
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 21, 2003 10:04
Since PJ has chosen Arwen, I must accept that and in that respect I must say that the ride to the ford is spectacular. I dont think I breathed for the entire duration of the ride the first time I saw it, and it seemed to take forever. Isnt it sad how that feeling dont last after 50 viewings?
And I must say that the flood itself is my absolutely favorite part, and especially because I keep thinking "hah-Elrond conjures the flood and Gandalf adds the horses".

Hey- so I am a purist what can I do, lol.
Diva
Viggo Vixen, Supplanter of Arwen & Anti-Hugging Harpy
Send Message
on: June 23, 2003 04:37
I'm really not an Arwen fan.

Aside from that, I think the chase itself was excellent. Very exciting to watch. The white horses were great! I remember Arwen conjuring them (and not knowing whqt she was doing) and when the water started to go up was like "ooooooo"

All in all, nice scene, but not my fav
Legolas{Greenleaf}
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 23, 2003 08:57
"Flight to the Ford" was one of the my absolute favorite parts of the movie because of Arwen...I know that that irked a lot of people when they saw that she had replaced Glorfindel but I think she pulled it off rather well. In the theater, the music starts picking up speed and becomes louder and you get a glimpse of the Ringwraiths chasing after Arwen. This was one of the parts that always gets my heart beating faster, because it has me on the edge of my seat cheering on Asfaloth as the Black riders close in on their 'prey'.

All in all, an excellent scene followed by the great Ford scene!

Peace~
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: June 23, 2003 09:13
This is a very tense and exciting scene. Originally I was pissed that Frodo didn't ride to the Ford himself but he didn't...so get over it already Aowyn!
Anyway, once I got over that I was really able to appreciate it because it almost looks like they won't make it at one point and the music is GREAT. I love the aerial shots where you count the Ringwraiths and realize that at last all nine are on their tail. The close-ups are very good. And Frodo does really looks half-dead (even though in some shots it's obvious it's a dummy but oh well no avoiding that I guess)
And the face-off at the Ford is also well done, although I have to agree that Elrond suddenly appearing is kinda weird until you realize that you're seeing it through Frodo's eyes.

[Edited on 6/23/2003 by Aowyn]
Eothain
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 23, 2003 09:29
Well, i loved this scene as it was so tense, plus you get to meet Arwen. I love the bit when they are fleeing and the from the nazgul and the nazgul tries to grab Frodo and Arwen spurs her horse faster. Then when the reach the ford and there is a great tension that seems to be relieved, the the nazgul saying "give up the hafling, she-elf" That line is just so spine chilling. Then i love Arwen's response: "If you want him, come and claim him. So i voted for the Arwen: Queen of the One Liners cause it's the closest one to it.

Edit: ok, now i realise the entire flight to the ford would be closer...

[Edited on 23/6/2003 by Eothain]
Faramirs_first_kiss
Mearhwine Namsmið
Send Message
on: June 24, 2003 04:16
I think the bit in Isengard is brilliant. All the camerawork and lighting for Saruman's lair is brilliant, and the music is wonderful. The desparation on Gandalf's face with the moth is tangible.

Arwen's arrival was a little spoilt for me the first time when my dad said, "look, she's glowing white. You can see how dirty the screen is". I would like to see Glorfy at this point, but it's obvious why we don't: for non-bookies he'd be a random, irrelevant person in the film. Nowadays we expect everyone we see, however briefly, to come back into a film later and he isn't anywhere else in FOTR.

I LOVED the elvish. I would have squealed out loud at that point, except that I didn't want to miss any of it. It's such a beautiful language and the way the characters speak it gives you a lot of subtle character details: Arwen, an elf, speaks it gracefully and authoritatively showing her mystery and status; Aragorn, a man who, in the film at least, is trying to pretend he's nothing special, speaks it guardedly, so low people cannot work out what language he's talking in, caution befitting a ranger.

The riding is incredible. The only sad thing is that, despite all the effort that went into training the horses to do the scene, you can still tell Frodo's a dummy in some shots. I voted for this because the excitement is absolutely massive. All that tension! And it's good to see that they managed to get some speed into the film, something you don't see too often in pure fantasy.
Kiss
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
on: June 26, 2003 02:40
My personal favourite moment from this sequence is when Arwen kneels next to Frodo, and she's suddenly wearing different clothes.

I liked Arwen a lot, not the first time and not the fifth.. but I got to really appreciate her: Liv Tyler portrays her perfectly, and the way she speaks Elvish is so natural. I agree with Faramirs_first_kiss' analysis of the way Arwen and Aragorn speak Elvish, it suddenly feels that way.

And the horses are just perfect, wonderful, amazing, breathtaking. They left a lot of the magic in LOTR out so the movie doesn't look ridiculous, but I was so pleased to see the white horses...
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: June 26, 2003 02:50
Yeah I gotta admit the "wavehorses" were very well done. I can remember sitting in the theater for the first time right before that moment wondering if the horses were going to come down with the river. I'm glad they decided to keep that in.
Ringhilwen
Ilúvatar's Designer & Haldir\'s Little Squirrel
Send Message
on: June 26, 2003 05:06
The wave horses were very nicely done, but I voted for "unexpected encounter", because I thought that encompassed seeing the stone trolls (which I thought was awesome), Frodo fading even more, and the hobbit's concern. That was my favorite part of this sequence....the actual riding to the ford kind of drags out for me...
Londe
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 11, 2003 03:19
I am going to try and post and try to sound as professional as you people who can write paragraphs on just one scene...

I actually enjoyed the actual flight to the ford. It wasn't for any "deeper meaning" or anything else setimental. I just enjoyed watching the look of fear on Arwen's face, the grasping, greedy, desperate hand of the Nazgul, poor Mr. Frodo, and the thrill of knowing that the ring was within the grasp of the enemy, quite literallly.
Tinúmelë
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 24, 2003 07:59
Well, the entrance of Arwen and the music that played with it was simply beautiful but it sort of went downhill from there. Arwen's outfit managed to change in the space of a split second, she spoke only to Strider and when any hobbit apart from Frodo addressed her she ignored them completely. Then Aragorn seemed a bit of a wimp because it was Arwen riding Frodo across the Ford. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for girl power, but...well....LOTR is a very male dominated book, so it didn't seem to quite fit somehow. But then I didn't think the whole thing of ANYONE having to ride Frodo across the Ford was right. The book version was much more exciting: Frodo, weak and suffering riding to the Ford alone and resisting the Ringwraiths to the very last. But instead, the filmmakers insist that Arwen has to do all the hard work for him and when the flood comes, having done absolutely zilch, Frodo just gives up and dies. Where is the bravery in THAT???
But no offense to Liv-she played the part the best she could.
Neneithel
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 24, 2003 09:47
Much as I disliked having Arwen in this scene, she made it worthwhile with the incantation. That and the fantastic sequence that followed were wonderful. Asfaloth was good too.

Neneithel
luthienkenobi
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 18, 2004 05:23
I liked the Arwen's elvish, but I was disappointed that Glorfindel wasn't in the scene. I like the actual "Flight" the best.
crystalarwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 23, 2009 11:31
Flight to the Ford is my favorite scene from FOTR, and although Glorifindel was an awesome character, I think the way PJ redid the scene was fine.

I love the conversation Arwen has with Aragorn, ending with, "I do not fear them." Then she when she mounts her horse and says, "Noro lim Asfaloth Noro lim!" I got shivers down my spine. Those words are so beautiful and mysterious, and also spoken with a hint of danger in them.

The cinematography of Arwen riding through the moonlit trees is gorgeous.

I was kept on the edge of my seat during the whole chase segment and loved Arwen's courage and ability to face up to the Witch King. I wish they would have shown more of Hadhafang though.

Arwen's voice is so beautiful when she summons the flood, and then when she says, "No, Frodo, don't give in, not now!" I was like "No Frodo, you can do it!" I loved Arwen's tears when she hugged Frodo, and then the scene faded and Elrond's face looked weird. I was like no! I want to see what happens to Frodo!

I also love the music that plays during the scene, from soft elven singing to climactic chase music.
pitya
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 24, 2009 10:27
I'm going to be an oddball and say I like Lurtz's birth the best, partially because the idea of Arwen conjuring the horses annoyed me... She's not a Maia, she's an elf not a wizard, and the whole sequence had an "Arwen: Warrior Princess" tone to me. But that may just be my own stuffy book-loving prejudice

I loved the visualization of what Saruman was doing with the breeding. I also absolutely loved that Lurtz's first act was to kill; very symbolic and terrifying. I remember sitting in the theater and thinking 'Oh #%^&.' He was one beautifully-constructed villain.
Arwenwarrior
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 12, 2010 08:04
crystalarwen is right. It's one of the best scenes of the three films. She didn't look "arwen warrior princess" at all. She was Arwen all the time.

[Edited on 15/11/2010 by Arwenwarrior]
~nólemë~
Fan Creations Admin & Creations Forum Moderator
Send Message
on: November 12, 2010 12:59
Arwenwarrior, it's good to see such enthusiasm for a character, but I will play the big meanie yet again and bid you to present your opinion as nothing more than your opinion A simple 'to me' would make all the difference, and those who didn't enjoy the scene -not just a few, apparently- wouldn't then feel like they're being lectured

For myself... I would have loved to see good old Glorfindel there, but if the blonde guy in Minas Tirith next to Elrond was meant to be him, then I am really really happy they didn't let him do the part
And I rather missed Frodo's involvement. He's being reduced to a dull sack on a horse instead of the strong fellow who brandishes his sword and resists the Black Riders. But that's rather my issue with the entire presentation of Frodo in the movies.
I have my objections concerning Arwen's character and entitlement to search for the company, that I already spoke of elsewhere.
I don't actually care much for this particular sequence, except for the visual effects used for the flood and the music... and the transition to Rivendell My special pet peeves are the Ringwraiths fleeing in a direction noone in their right mind would before the flood -instead of returning onto the other bank as would be logical- and the flood conveniently ending right before the shallow water in which Asfaloth is standing, rather than on a slope above

I voted for None, since I like Gandalf and the moth the best of what is offered, but definitely not the creation of the Uncanon to which even Arwen is preferable for me (why, PJ? )

[Edited on 12/11/2010 by ~nólemë~]
---------- Image "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." J.R.R. Tolkien - The Hobbit
Arwenwarrior
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 13, 2010 09:05
Well, it's funny because I don't see how I was being rude or anything like that and now it's me who feels lectured but I'll just let it go, 'cause it's off topic.

The only thing I said was that she was very Arwen even in that scene "to me" And not only to me but "to a lot of people" who are afraid of telling how they feel towards that scene because their opinion is impopular.

Of course, and if it wasn't clear in my previous post I apologise for it. :angel:
Sassyfriend
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: Sequence by sequence #10: Flight to the Ford
on: September 20, 2012 08:51
Loved Gandalf's whispering to the moth. That was cool
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email