Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
Post Forum Rules: Everyone Please Read
on: August 04, 2002 04:10
I would like to ask everyone to review the Board Rules, they have been updated. You can read them by clicking on "Board Rules" at the top of the forum list.
Thank you

[Edited on 2/2/2004 by Aowyn]
Rivka
Frodo Fanatic and Head Oligarch
Send Message
Post RE: Forum Rules: Everyone Please Read
on: August 05, 2002 07:40
Hi guys,
I've been noticing some rudeness lately among site members, especially new ones. I'd like to remind everyone that this forum/site may be different than what you're used to dealing with at other sites, and that we may be a little more strict here about what's allowed. Please do the following:

1) Read the Board Rules at the top of the page

2) Please read the post about forum decorum

3) If a mod contacts you about a post or thread, please take their comments seriously. They are contacting you for the good of the site overall; it's not a personal thing on their part. Please don't get snotty with them, just because they're doing their job by reminding you of the rules.

4) Finally, regarding the Roleplaying Forum: this forum exists at my forbearance. The rules of the forum apply here doubly--there will be no excusing inappropriate behavior, just because "it's roleplaying". Let's try to limit the rough-housing, rudeness, and pettiness, okay? If I start getting too many complaints about behavior, or if I notice a lot of problems, then I will be forced to shut it down.

5) If someone makes a comment that is offensive to you, please do not respond in like manner. Bring the post to the attention of a mod or admin, and they will deal with it, OR you can contact the poster (if you feel comfortable doing so) and remind them of the site rules. Remember: some folks are brand new to the site, and are not aware of our rules, so please keep that in mind when dealing with other members.

We are growing by leaps and bounds--already the site has over 700 members! Having that many people visiting the site is sure to bring with it new attitudes, new cultures, and new problems. We all have to work together to ensure that this site stays a happy, fun place...
"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: October 22, 2002 12:19
Quoted from Rivka in the Announcements Forum:

Hi all,
A couple of things about sigs:

- Please keep in mind rule number 7 of our board rules: Please keep sig files no more than a few lines long. Do not clutter up the forum with 10-line long sigs, or slow loading images. If the staff feels your sig file is breaking this rule, you will be contacted.

I've been seeing a lot of animated gifs of scenes from the movie in people's sigs lately. They look cool and all, but they are huge in size, and that's not very nice or fair to people who are on dial-up modems -- your large graphics in your sig makes the forums load very slowly for these people. Please rethink images like this for the sake of others, and be warned -- the admins are going to start cracking down on sigs like this.

I would also add that any image that is in your sig should not be very large in pixel size. Think small. Think smiley sized. People come to the forum to read forum posts, and while signature files can be funny or amusing, once you've read it once, there's no need to keep reading it. And unfortunately, when someone has large images in their sig file, they're constantly in your face, causing slow load times, and making the forum load slow.

- html in sig files has been causing some problems lately. Please note that you should only use html in your sig if you know what you're doing. If the forum ever looks funky and is displaying strange, it's because someone used some html wrong. If we keep having problems like this, we're going to turn html off for people's sigs...

Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: November 03, 2002 01:19
Hello everyone,
I've been noticing quite a few overly large signature pics lately, in spite of Rivka's post on sigs in the Announcements Forum, which is pasted in the comment above. Please take a minute to review her new guidelines. Signature pics are causing some very slow loading times for a number of our users--remember, even if the site loads quickly for you that doesn't mean that your sig isn't too large! Please review and make adjustments as necessary.

[Edited on 11/3/2002 by Aowyn]
Tanlaithwen
Orange Juice Fanatic
Send Message
on: December 23, 2002 05:16
Hiya everybody - just a request.
I have had to move quite a few threads stating that people are going away for a few days or that they are back from holiday etc, and I'd like to ask people to please not start their own threads for this. There is a thread approprietely titled "I'm Going/I'm Back," so could you please post in there.
Thanks,
Tan
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
on: December 23, 2002 08:17
Thanks, Tan. I appreciate that. To all here, new or old. Please do a search for a topic before posting a new thread. This will keep duplication down and let you see what's been answered to the subject you're interested in rather than reinventing the wheel! Again, thanks!
Rivka
Send Message
on: February 10, 2003 08:14
Announcements regarding signatures and avatars:

1) Signatures have been looking a little crazy lately. Let me remind you of the forums rules: "Please keep sig files no more than a few lines long. Do not clutter up the forum with 10-line long sigs, or slow loading images." Please note, "a few" means no more than 2 - 3 lines. You do not need to quote an entire paragraph in your signature line! Pick something short and sweet.

2) Regarding images in the sig file -- the mods have been seeing a lot of large images (both in pixel and filesize) in sigs lately. We hate having to play "sig cop" all the time -- it's not fun for us, and not for you either. Please limit your sig images to small ones, and only one image per sig. The 2 - 3 lines limit listed above also includes the size of your image -- if it's taller than 2 - 3 lines, then it's too big! Your sig overall should be very small, and no bigger than 2 - 3 lines total, including images.

I'm not saying all of this to be mean, or to impose arbitrary rules. All of these images and extra text cause the forum to load slowly, especially for people on dial-up. Just because the forum loads fast for you does not mean it does for everyone else. In addition, all this extra junk in the sigs makes the forum hard to read, and annoying. If this problem does not clear up quickly, then we will either outlaw images in sigs completely...or disallow the use of sigs for everyone. Please don't make us take such drastic steps.

3) Avatars uploaded to the community pool are intended for everyone to use. Just because you name it with your username, or otherwise put your name on it graphically, does not mean other people can't use it. I'm sorry, but that's just one of the limitations of this forum program. It's free, so don't complain too much, okay? Please only upload two avatars that you modify graphically to make unique somehow to you. No one needs twenty avatars with their name written on them. We will start cleaning out extras at some point. And please don't complain if someone does use one of "your" avatars. If you don't like it, gain some points and get access to the unique avatar pool
M
Queen of Orc Killers
Send Message
on: February 10, 2003 08:15
A good idea, if you're not sure, is to check out the signatures of the Mods and Admins for examples of how to utilize text and images appropriately.
Rivka
Send Message
on: February 10, 2003 08:16
Also, keep in mind that you can use html to align an image with your sig text, so that it takes up smaller space. Here's how:

Your sig statement

This will display the image to the left of your sig statement, rather than on top or below, thereby taking up less space and not cluttering up the forum
Tookishbliss
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 10, 2003 08:18
I'm a bit confused, so we're only allowed to upload 2 avatars now? ;-; cause I make lots and I like to see people use them...
:dizzy:
pipsqueak
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 10, 2003 08:19
I think she means only two with our names on them...I like to upload them and see them used too.
Rivka
Send Message
on: February 10, 2003 08:21
Yes, feel free to upload as many avatars as you want, so long as you don't put any distinguishing marks on them to make them "yours" (i.e. your initials, your username, or anything else related specifically to you).

If you want to put distinguishing marks on them so that no one else will want to use the avatars (i.e. why would someone want an avatar with your name plastered on it?) then please limit yourself to only two such avatars.
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: February 10, 2003 10:51
Don't forget that it's your responsibility to read this thread and know the Prancing Pony and Board Rules before you post!
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: February 17, 2003 03:13
Hey Gang,
After reading a few threads that have gotten out of hand lately, I'm dismayed to see some of the posts that I'm seeing. Please take the time to review this quote from Rivka, and to read the post on forum decorum, which was written when we had 700 members. As you all know we have many more members than that now, and for the site to continue successfully we must get along. (And since I never use color in my posts, you know I'm serious!)

Hi guys,
I've been noticing some rudeness lately among site members, especially new ones. I'd like to remind everyone that this forum/site may be different than what you're used to dealing with at other sites, and that we may be a little more strict here about what's allowed. Please do the following:

1) Read the Board Rules at the top of the page

2) Please read the post about forum decorum
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: June 05, 2003 12:32
Posters,
Please make sure you are aware of the Board Rules before you post. This applies to the Prancing Pony and all other forums on this website.
Thanks
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: June 28, 2003 12:44
Hey Everybody,
Just thought I'd post this in here, since I know a lot of you like to look at the Illustrations and Member's Art Galleries but may not have read the "Concerning the Gallery" Thread in Announcements in awhile:

Taking the opportunity, Illustrations and Member´s Art are very delicate sections of the gallery. You are, of course, invited to leave your comment but be careful on what you write. People´s feelings are at stake.

If you like the image, drop your line. If you can express constructive criticism, drop your line.

But don´t judge a piece of artwork based on your understanding of Tolkien´s world gained from the films, or compared to your own standard of beauty. Never say "this sucks" cos a piece of art will never "suck".

Of course most people are pretty good at not posting comments like that in members art, but we have noticed an increase in nasty comments in illustrations gallery recently. Just remember... you never know who´s reading these things - don´t post anything you wouldn´t say to the artists face.

Thank you very much.

*Elenisil

And I'd like to add that I know for a fact that one major artist has visited our site at least once, and others may have as well. Constructive criticism is probably always appreciated by any artist, but please don't write anything that would reflect poorly on this site, or that could be construed as hurtful.(from Rivka)

Please keep enjoying the Gallery, but don't forget--you never know just who may be reading your comments!

Thanks, and I appreciate your taking the time to read this!
Aowyn
PP Mod and Gallery Admin.

sweetlittleelf
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 23, 2005 06:55
I think you guys have the most fair rukes I've seen on any forum. I know that there may have been some in the past, But I have never seen a swear word on here. Most forums are crowded with spam, "free" Offers ect, but yours isn't. Thanks CoE!
jedi_eowyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 14, 2005 11:51
Yea! Thank you so much for the rules! They help keep the site safe! And they help me understand everything better!!!
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: August 15, 2005 01:51
Okay folks, the time has come for a general reminder about posting in the Gallery....some not-very-cool comments have surfaced in the Invited Artists Gallery recently...remember, criticism and being insulting and unpleasant are two very different things. The artists welcome your thoughts, but please don't make them sorry they agreed to post their work here! Remember, it's Invited artists, so make them feel like a guest, even if their work isn't to your taste....and don't forget, the Gallery admins will not hesitate to dole out strikes for behaviour that gets out of hand.

I realize that this reminder doesn't even apply to the vast majority of you, so please continue to enjoy the Galleries, and if you see comments that look like they shouldn't be in there, please pm the url to Elenisil or me and let us check it out/ deal with it.
Many thanks,
Aowyn
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
on: August 19, 2005 11:01
I just wanted to say how refreshing it is to come to a site that enforces rules and know that there will not be swearing. I have found such nice and considerate people here. So, thank you so much and I appreciate all of you.
Awelyn48:heart:
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: August 21, 2005 03:19
You're very welcome
songbird13
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 21, 2005 03:45
I feel very happy here. Your not like an Anarchy but your not a Dictatorship. I always no that I won't often be insulted,yelled at, or corrected know-it-all style for silly things. I Can have opinion, freedom, laughter. And here a mistake is not a mistake, its a lesson. Three cheers for CoE!!!!
~Songbird
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email