Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
Post Sequence To Sequence #14: Moria
on: August 09, 2003 10:20
Aha! So, caps for this sequence are to be found here and here, and the extra's from the DVD here.

Points of interest in this sequence:
-The depiction of Moria itself: is it like you imagined? Is it Dwarvish enough? What was your favourite set?
-All that violence! Ack! Did you like it? Didn't you all feel sorry for that cavetroll?
-Character development: was Pippin too stupid? And Gimli crying - what's your thoughts?

And off course, the traditional poll question: your favourite... part!!! (you didn't really think I would come up with something new, did you?)
eowynshue
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Post RE: Sequence To Sequence #14: Moria
on: August 09, 2003 12:01
for me bailns tomb, but mainly just for pippin and the well, boromirs "they have a cave troll" line, and aragorn, heir of isildur and the hope of men, getting knocked unconsious again lol. i just think that funny
Remmirath
Sleepless Astronomer
Send Message
on: August 09, 2003 12:49
I voted for Gandalf and the Balrog because you get to see the power that Gandalf has and the sacrifice that he makes so the others may carry on. Great turning point in the story. I thought the Balrog was awesome with all the smoke, flames, its noises, and of course the whip.

Did the Balrod remind anyone else of the Red Bull:evil: from The Last Unicorn?
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: August 09, 2003 12:59
moria was spectacular.. in the books i never got it.. how a mine could be beautiful (caves are a differnt matter entirely) but man! alan lee did an amazing job... though i do wonder how on earth the little dwarves got those pillars so high and quite how that bit was a city.. im assuming that the bit where gandalf risked more light was the main thoroughfare/ meeting place and in its time was full of dwarves doing wahtever they do.

anyhow the scene- oh well the balrog was just great wasnt it... and the way the whole bridge scene was played. i just loved this bit. loved it!!

ganalfs taking to frodo in the mines saying all that stuff he said in bagend... that seemed pretty right to me.. after all frodos motivations for going on the trip were a little differnt in the film due to the whole time restriction issue. but he had to learn what the ring was about- i was so glad they put it all in

i wanst ever so impressed wtih the cave troll fight, the way gandalf read from the book wasnt IMO quite right. and in the book i loved the way they reacted to the orcs...

"they are coming" "were trapped" almost exactely the same as the book of mazurbul.. i was sad that they didnt do that. htough i did like boromirs sarcastic little "they have a cave troll" line.

[Edited on 9/8/2003 by k]
iLikeLOTRaLittle2much
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 09, 2003 01:01
I voted for Gandalf and Frodo's little chat. Man... the whole "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" is the wisest thing in the whole movie. Everytime I hear it, I'm like.... wow, that is SO true. Who'da thought?
ShyHobbit
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 09, 2003 02:41
I voted for Gandalf and the Balrog, but Dimrill comes in at a close second The standoff with the Balrog is amazing, especially to see it on the big screen (I didn't get to until I saw TTT though)

I love the scenes following in a sad way, there's so much emotion in that scene, and you really do feel a connection with the Fellowship where you can feel their pain :cry:
Legolas{Greenleaf}
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 09, 2003 03:27
Moria has always been my favorite part of both the movie and the book. It was dark, frightening and perfect. From fighting the Watcher in the water, to Durin's Bane, it kept me flipping the pages and on the edge of my seat. But since we're talking about the movie, I voted for Dimrill.

The Fellowship, or what's left of it, come rushing out of the mines of Moria, and I'm glad that Jackson used music to promote the mood of the scene. My heart broke when I saw the hobbits collapse to the ground in tears, felt angry at Aragorn for his detachment from the rest of the group, sad when both Frodo and Legolas wandered the grounds in a stunned stupor and Gimli's willingness to barge back into the minds made me appreciate his character more.

All in all, excellent scene and emotionally captivating.

Peace~
Nevthónîel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 10, 2003 01:30
I don't like Moria that much. I voted for Balin's tomb though, mostly b/c Bormir's "They have a cave troll". I love that line.
Eothain
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 13, 2003 01:48
"they are coming" "were trapped" almost exactely the same as the book of mazurbul.. i was sad that they didnt do that.

Yeah, i loved that bit as well. But i voted for Gandalf and the Balrog because it truely shows gandalf real power being able to block a massive flaming sword for instance as well as the power of the balrog. It's a battle between two amazingly powerfull creatures of good and evil. The way gandalf seemed to stand firm against the fiery balrog with just his sword and staff seemed to amplyify his power. The whole scene was just spaticualr.

Also, i liked Balin's Tomb, especially after Frodo got stabbed by the spear and there's that dreary music, as the halfings stab the cave troll in the head, and pippin is picked up and swung around, then gandalf and gimli both attack it but causing apparently no harm. It shows you what it must have been like for the dwarves, all those years ago. The same desperation and also the same deterimination.

[Edited on 13/8/2003 by Eothain]
gaelowyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 14, 2003 06:37
i really enjoyed the whole sequence immensely! as a newbie(never had read the book before seeing FOTR) it was such a unique environment to me! I was stunned by the massiveness of the city, all those pillars! the fight sequence was astonishing in the tomb... gandalf's chat with frodo was so thought provoking and provides a great philosophy to live by(the quote about the time we're given in life). the flight to the bridge, the crossing of the bridge, and gandalf's last stand was just mind numbing!!! but of all of these, my favorite is once they leave the mines, and everyone is outside, in shock. pippin is crying, and sam is stumped over holding his head in his hand...frodo is beginning to walk away, perhaps realizing just how perilous this trek is, and how it must seem absolutely doomed at this point. the coloring of the landscape and the sky, so grey and pale, so mournful . then the closeup of elijah's bright blue eyes, showing that even if death of their best friend and guide, there is still vibrant life and a will to go on. just my intrepretation of course!
btw.. thank you figwit for doing this scene-by scene stuff!! it's great!!!
Celebroch
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 14, 2003 08:17
Balin's tomb... Boromir's line, and then in the extended edition, Aragorn's curt nod after stabbing an ork with Boro's sword.
When Aragorn knocks himself out my sister always asks me why he's trying to kill himself all the time.

~--^
Parmadur
The Happy Pariah
Send Message
on: August 16, 2003 09:49
Didn't you all feel sorry for that cavetroll?

Naturally, yes. It's heartbreaking, really, when you think about it. He hasn't done anything to anybody, but because he's big and confused (more than likely frightened as well), everyone starts hacking away at him (and note how they strike before he does - way to go, Legolas). He's a product of environment: the Orcs kept him for their own purposes, using him in battle when they felt it necessary. Unfortunately, the cave troll was too stupid to find a way out. (Please note that by saying 'stupid', I'm not insulting him - merely stating a fact.)

Character development: was Pippin too stupid?

Pippin's intelligence was a little lacking in FotR, Moria being no exception. He allowed curiosity to get the best of him (which is really more of a lack of common sense than lack of intelligence) and thus put them into the situation that ultimately led to the end of Gandalf the Grey. I can't really say he was stupid, though -- after all, if he hadn't made all that racket, Gandalf wouldn't have fallen and become the White, Aragorn wouldn't have led them where he did, Boromir may not have died and would probably have succeeded later on in snatching the Ring from Frodo, Smeagol may not have had a chance to play as large of a role as he did, and Pippin and Merry may not have been abducted and become what they became later on. Cause and effect, my friends -- Pippin's mistake was the changing point for everything, I believe. Good for him.

[Edited on 8/16/03 by Parmadur]

[Edited on 8/16/03 by Parmadur]
merry2
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 16, 2003 10:05
I liked the fight scene and all but, I thought it was sad that Balin had to die:cry:. Peter Jackson did kind of good job with the movie but he did mess up a lot of things, so I wish he would mess up the part where Balin died. I know if Balin lived it would change a lot of things, but that would be fine with me.
Roheryn
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 16, 2003 07:46
I voted for Gandalf and Frodo's chat; there's a lot of wisdom in those few lines.
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
on: August 18, 2003 03:43
I adore the Moria sequence, because I adore Moria.

The great history of Khazad-dûm and the culture of the Dwarves: I loved them in the books, and the people at WETA and Howard Shore went through great lengths to bring this particular part of the book to life. On the audio comment of the EE it's even said that all around the walls of Balin's Tomb (Mazarbul) you can read the history of Khazad-dûm in Dwarvish rhunes!

The music, the digital work on the mines and the halls, the little Dwarvish details (for example how all the Dwarvish corpses lay close to an axe)... it was great. And it was dark: I was afraid at first that they wouldn't be able to grasp the darkness, but it was beautifully done.

The CGI creatures in this sequence were also amazing. From the Watchter in the Water to the Orcs who come crawling down the pillars like Spiders, from the innocent looking Cave Troll to the pure evil of the Balrog: it was difficult to believe that none of it was real.

The only thing I have a problem with, is Gimli. I understand that there's no room in the council scene for all the different motivations of the travellers, and so there was no opportunity to allow for the Dwarves to express their concern about Balin and the colony in Moria.
BUT that's no reason to let Gimli wander into Moria bragging about his cousins hospitality and leave it up to Boromir (who probably hasn't even been close to a Dwarvish city) to notice that perhaps a floor covered with very deadlooking Dwarf skelettons is NOT the normal interior design of a Dwarvish hall. That was stupid.
Even more stupid and annoying was the fact that Gimli wasn't allowed to talk about his kin (Gandalf did most of the talking), he didn't sing Durin's hymn (one of the finest pieces of poetry in LOTR, imho) and he burst into tears when faced with the tomb. Argh...

However, everything else made up for that. With as absolute hightlight: They have a cave troll... You gotta love him
AEvenstar
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 18, 2003 03:50
I was never really into the Dwarves - and all that Gimli spitting and crying - ack!!
I voted for Frodo and Gandalf's little chat because it literally moved me to tears. :cry: :cry: I always loved those lines from the book, even though they were said in Bag End I felt they really suited this scene well. It seemed to fit in with the whole idea that Gandalf knew he would be challanged by the Balrog and didn't know if he could succeed over him. The conversation they have outside of the the Mines of Moria is really building up to this and then the last look the share just before Gandalf *lets go* (and he does - he doesn't fall, he lets go) is very touching.
Awe, just call me a sentimentalist. :love:
Londe
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 11, 2003 03:58
Moria, once of my favorite scenes in Lord of the Rings...

I voted for Gandalf's and Frodo's little chat. The wizard teaching the hobbit the value of all life (I think Sean Astin said that about this scene). It was beautiful in the books in Bag End and it is even more moving in such a dark, forboding place.

But then I also like the bit by Balin's Tomb..."They have a cave troll"
fbc
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 01, 2005 07:04
I love everything in this part. Made FOTR really special.
Sassyfriend
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: Sequence To Sequence #14: Moria
on: September 21, 2012 08:43
I voted for dimrill dale. The fellowship says so much through their expressions and even though you wanna slap Aragorn right then you also want to hug the poor guy too!!!!
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email