on: May 30, 2003 10:24
His eyes are blue because that is what J.R.R made it that way
I luv Smeagol
Eowyn_Touched-By-Frost
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Post RE: Gollum Fan Club
on: June 17, 2003 05:58
Allright, how about bringing up his possible chances of redemption anybody? *looks for raised hands* No one read The Letters? OK, I'll do it.

In The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkein Letter #246 Tolkein says that if things had gone differently at certain places the end of The Lord of the Rings would have been much different. One possible ending would've been Sam allowing Smeagol to redeem himself just before Shelob's lair; when he finds him speaking to his sleeping master. The result would've been the Smeagol side coming through in full, and him gaining a great love for Frodo. But some time just before they reached Mount Doom the temptation of the Ring would've taken him over and he would've taken it from Frodo by force (as actually happened.) is love for Frodo would've prevented him killing him, though. After putting the RIng on Gollum would've had a relization that having the Ring would do nothing, and he would've voluntarily jumped into the Cracks for Frodo's sake. He would've then been redeemed.
The harm would've come to Frodo in this case. Having the Ring taken and immediately destroyed caused no damage to him mentally, but having a certain amount of time (1 day, + or -) between the events would've caused great distress for Frodo; and later the results would've been bad.

So if it had gone differently, Smeagol could've been redeemed. As to the other possible endings? You probly don't want to know; there pretty :cry:
hobbithole_dweller
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 08, 2003 11:09
The internal fight between Gollum and Smeagol really spoke to me. I think everyone has an evil side (or a good side) they battle with. Seeing Gollum/Smeagol go through it made me feel like I wasn't the only one who had to go through that.

I think Gollum does have the potential to redeem himself but I think that he doesn't want to. Nothing is more important to him than getting the Ring back.

I was really sad to see Smeagol become Gollum (when he got captured by Faramir's men) again after he believed Frodo had tricked him when Frodo was really trying to save him. If only Frodo got the chance to explain....but it's not like Gollum would have believed him right?
RabidLocust
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 22, 2004 05:14
Yeah Hobbit hole Dweller. I know what you mean. Smeagol's character spoke to me as well. Only in a different way. When Smeagol had the debate with Gollum. The line "You don't have any friends. Nobody likes youuu."
That slightly touched a nerve, because my older brother.(Who's a jerk by the way.)
Said something very similar(spelling?)

"Shut up Joanna! Nobody likes you."

When I heard Gollum say that while I was watching it in the theater. (By the way, it was the midnight showing. Great times! Great times! )

I found myself looking around the theater for a few seconds, because I was thinking:
'My heavens! Is Alex in here?!'

So I saw Me as Smeagol, and Alex as Gollum.

However I must add.
Smeagol is the cutest thing ever!
I just want to hug him!

Anyone else have an opinion on this?
fbc
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 23, 2005 05:39
Gollum was made very well.
Jedi.Elf.Queen
Council Member
Send Message
Yeah, I like Smeagol. Not Gollum, but yes Smeagol.
"The Star in their hands, for the rest of their lives"
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email