Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Rivka
Frodo Fanatic and Head Oligarch
Send Message
Post Pick Your Own Path
on: November 05, 2003 10:24
Most of you have probably read those Choose Your Own Adventure type books, right? If you haven't, the basic idea is that you start reading a story starring yourself, and then after a page or so, it gives you a choice as to which way the story should go. This happens continually, until you reach the end of that version of the story. And then you go back to the beginning and start again, choosing a different path

Well, why am I babbling about this? We're going to do something similar here on CoE, and we need people to write the stories! Since so many people here in the RPG forum seem creative and like to write, the staff thought we'd start by seeing if anyone here would like to give it a try. Here's how it works -- read the rules below first:

Rules

- stories may not star any of the main characters of Lord of the Rings or the Hobbit. These characters would include: Bilbo, the Fellowship, Arwen, Elrond, Galadriel, Eomer, Eowyn, Faramir, Gollum, Grima, Saruman, and Theoden.
- stories may not follow the events of Lord of the Rings or the Hobbit
- main characters from LotR/Hobbit may show up in cameo roles only, i.e. they may be mentioned, or there can be a brief encounter with them. No more than that.
- using one of the secondary characters as the main character of a story is a possibility, so long as the events that take place within the story have nothing to do with the events in LotR. We would prefer that stories star an original character (from Middle-Earth, not someone from our world plunked into M-E)
- stories and characters as written should make sense within the Middle-Earth world. Example: if you encounter a Hobbit, it shouldn't be able to do kung-fu. Don't insert creatures and abilities that were not described or suggested by Tolkien (no unicorns, no fairy princesses, etc.)
- stories should follow an action/adventure type plot.
- all stories must be well written, with proper grammar and spelling.

If that all sounds somewhat limiting, it's intentional. We're not looking for "The Adventures of Mary Sue as She Follows the Fellowship on Their Quest to Destroy the Ring and Who Happens to Fall in Love with Legolas on the Way." We're looking for original ideas and story lines that take place within Tolkien's world, that can be read interactively by others.

This is where you can use your imagination -- think about some of the lesser or secondary characters in the books. You could write an interactive story starring one of them. Or think of an event that is briefly mentioned in an aside in the books, that could be more fully fleshed out as an interactive story. It's pretty much all up to you, so far as you follow the guidelines above.

What To Do

Come up with a one or two paragraph general outline or description of your story, and send it to me (Rivka) over PM. Don't post it here. If I think it's good, or has possibilities, I may ask you to flesh it out further, with a more detailed outline. Once I've deemed that the overall idea is suitable for inclusion in this new section of the site, I will ask you to write the complete thing.

Please note: if you are not familiar with the idea of Choose Your Own Adventures, then please take a look at this site. It has some stories you can try that will be similar to the layout we have on this site.
"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."
foshpickle~greenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Pick Your Own Path
on: December 22, 2003 03:26
One word: SQUEE!!! Thankies Rivka, I've been having this terrible I-need-to-write-something-but-I-must-have-a-purpose thing going lately, and I think this may just work.
Celendriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 09, 2004 03:39
Well! This is a very good idea. If you like, I could attempt to come up with a storyline or two, but someone else will have to write the story thing, as i am a poet not a storywriter, . Oh, well.
silver_shadow
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 12, 2004 06:24
Great! I love these types of things! it should be fun.
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 13, 2004 10:06
Yet another great idea from Rivka! Sounds awesome! Can't wait!
Shylien
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 30, 2004 06:55
i know i'm new here but i can write really good stories if you want send me your ideas and i could put them in words. and if you don't mind i would like to put in a few of my own ideas. I worn you though i have a terrible problem whit spelling so i need to send them to someone to check them over.
musicalgal123
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 25, 2004 01:47
I'd be happy to write some. I love the Choose-Your-Own-Adventure books and have even written one for school once (I got an A+ if you were wondering) so, you can count me in because that would be cool.
léfalí
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 07, 2004 08:15
Definitely. Rivka, what a GREAT idea!! *bounces*

I had a choose-your-own-adventure book when I was a kid and I loved it and couldn't get enough of it. Since then I've wondered where to get another one....

This site gives a fairly good impression of the possibilities. Unfortunately you have to be registered to view all paths... But I may do that anyway...
Elf_man
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 24, 2004 06:12
Yes this deffinetly sounds interesting I love role-playing...............
~aear_fëa~
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 07, 2004 09:30
cool! that sounds great!
elven_princess_of_lorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 18, 2004 12:07
yes, poke me when you're ready to start.
Rivka
Send Message
on: July 18, 2004 01:00
This section will be opening up very soon Probably within the next week or so.
elven_princess_of_lorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 18, 2004 03:15
YAY! let me know whent it's up!
elvenmaidofmirkwood
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 02, 2004 12:05
Tell me too!
Rivka
Send Message
on: August 06, 2004 01:37
It's up and running here.
orthanc5
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: September 25, 2004 05:08
Need somebody to moderate this? I can help if you need it.
Elven_Prince_of_my_Heart
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 11, 2004 08:25
Those are cool!

Mine was way too short though.............I only got to pick 4 things............

I used to like those kind of books when I was little!
Made me feel like I was a part of the story!
rivindell_magic
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 26, 2004 06:04
I learned something through pick your path. Don't promise another chapter until you actually have it written. he he just a little word of advice. This is an awesome experience, and it is getting me extra credit in English^^.
SerenaTheSeer
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 02, 2005 11:11
I just created a Pick Your Path story a couple hours ago and I'm waiting for an admin to look at it.
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 07, 2005 06:34
I made one months ago and it hasnt been looked at yet the mods are busy people....
HalfElf_Bearon
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 27, 2005 09:33
sounds cool, yell when you want me 2 start.
Elvin_Chick
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 09, 2006 02:14
There are alot of PYP stories now, we should vote on which ones we like best, like once a month have a like PYP story be voted as the best one for that month...er sumthin like that....-dont really know if I am explaining it right kinda like the thing where they vote for the best poems in the relms...I guess.just an idea cuz most of the stories are Great and Im sure the authors would like to know if everyone liked their story er not.
Overlord
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 27, 2007 04:51
I have read tons of those kind of books! Let me see what I can come up with.
xXxArendilxXx
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 16, 2008 05:26
I just made one too!!

I hope it was okay. It took like FOREVER to write... jeez!

I'm just hoping that a moderator will check it soon!
arvanion898
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 09, 2009 12:57
I have... ermm... around one path left to complete on my newest one. It took me around a year to write, on and off (with occasional spurts of activity) and I solemnly swear that I haven't done anything wrong. I hope you'll consider me.
Mirach
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 11, 2009 01:38
Hm, I see that the last Pick-Your-Path story is from 2007... Is the mod here at all? Does it have sense to write these stories still?
Elioclya
Lady of Ithilien
Send Message
on: March 12, 2009 01:05
Pick-Your-Path mod here!

Mirach - yes, you should absolutely feel free to create these stories. One of the reasons there are no new ones is that very few people ever submit any. Another is that those who do often forget that although they write a lot of chapters, the important bit is the length of the individual paths. Often I will ask a writer to add more paths, but usually they have lost interest by that point! Arvanion is one notable exception and I'm in the process of validating his very long and impressive story at the moment. I will also rather shamefully admit that I do occasionally need prodding in that direction, since new submissions are so rare that when they do come up I may not notice for a while!

Hope that clears things up a bit. It would be great to see some more submissionsit - and if you don't seem to get any response, please PM me with a gentle reminder!
arvanion898
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 21, 2009 04:02
*Notable exception... Long and impressive... do I really deserve that sort of praise? *

Yeah, I actually needed a lot of self-discipline to finish that story. In fact, I took a couple of months' sabbatical from it (I started writing it midway through the last school year) then returned sporadically to it. I finally got down to business and finished everything up... which I still need to do for the others. Still, Mirach, I've gone through every PaP on the site and it would be nice to go through one where I don't know what will happen. (Of course, I really have no idea where some of the paths I finished a year ago even lead to... )
Mirach
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 22, 2009 02:17
Hm, maybe, sometimes... I was just making sure if it's not useless to begin thinking about one Right now I'm glad if I manage to keep pace with my one RP here. I'm looking forward to yours!
Elioclya
Lady of Ithilien
Send Message
on: April 21, 2009 10:25
I'd just like to draw your attention to the fact that Arvanion's Pick-Your-Path story, Ecthelion of the Citadel, has now been published. We've had all sorts of technical problems getting this one up, but I assure you, it's worth it. Go check it out!
Passepartout
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 03, 2009 02:03
Great work Arvanion! It looks very well done and the amount of paths in it is impressive! I really enjoyed reading it!
arvanion898
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 03, 2009 03:04
*childish blush* Awwww, thanks guys. :love:
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email