Register

Author Topic:
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
Post Quote of the Week - Nov 23rd /03 [3.III]
on: November 23, 2003 02:32
From The Two Towers III ' The Uruk-Hai '
'Aye, we must stick together.' growled Ugluk. 'i don't trust you little swine. You've no guts outside your own sties. But for us you'd have all run away. We are the fighting Uruk-hai! We slew the great warrior. We took the prisoners. We are the servants of Saruman the Wise, the White Hand, the Hand that gives us man's-flesh to eat. We came out of Isengard, and led you here, and we shall lead you back by the way we choose, I am Ugluk. I have Spoken'

[Edited on 24/11/2003 by PotbellyHairyfoot]

[Edited on 24/11/2003 by Figwit]

[Edited on 24/11/2003 by atalante_star]
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
Post RE: Quote of the Week - Nov 23rd /03 [3.III]
on: November 23, 2003 10:22
I find his speech pattern most interesting: the Uruks do this a lot, open with 'We are the fighting Uruk-hai' and end with the same scentence and 'I have spoken'

I wonder if there is a reason for this....
atalante_star
Scholar of Imladris and Theodens Lady
Send Message
on: November 24, 2003 12:00
oooooh, if I was feeling slightly contentious, I would say it's because of how the Orcs were breed by Morgoth / Sauron. The nassssty Ainur were breeding fighting machines, not eloquent speakers, and I guess the Uruks speech patterns are similar to someone who is either learning a language, or not at all fluent in a language. Each sentence is short, consisting of only one idea.

And what would you do if you wanted your rather thick warriors to remember their purpose? Make them say what they are "the fighting Uruk-hai", and finish on a command. It could be an analogue to our rules for public speaking "tell them what you're going to say, say it, then tell them what you've said."
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
on: November 25, 2003 12:49
lol atalante, never thought of it that way - but it's weird to think of Uruk-hai as having some sort of 'culture' - and a less organic one than orcs, it seems... but I wonder if that is true...
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email