Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Telcontar
Council Member
Send Message
Post Nominative endings on un-Elvish names
on: November 23, 2003 06:45
I know that for some prepositions there is a single word that one can use, but for endings like the genitive cause, I'm not aware of a separate word that represents "of." Right now, I'm simply adding a hyphen between the Proper Noun and my ending.

Eg: "of Anchises"= Anchises-o

Is there a single word for "of"? Is there some established method of conjugating in this situation. Or am I just a close to being correct now as anyone else could be?
Eruantalincë
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Post RE: Nominative endings on un-Elvish names
on: November 24, 2003 01:12
Couldn't find a singular word for 'of'. So I think the genitive 'o' ending might fit, though I would not use a hyphen, just 'Anchiseso', or maybe 'Anchisesso'.
LadyMeg
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: November 24, 2003 02:28
Aiya,

This is a Quote from Ardalambion

The genitive has the ending -o, generally corresponding to the English ending 's, though a Quenya genitive is often better rendered by an of-construction in English. One example from Namárië is Vardo tellumar "Varda's domes" or "(the) domes of Varda". Notice that the ending -o displaces final -a, hence Vardo, not Vardao - but most other vowels (it seems) are not displaced: In MR:329 we find Eruo for "the One's, Eru's". (If the noun ends in -o already, the ending becomes "invisible"; normally the context will indicate that the noun is a genitive and not a nominative. An attested example is Indis i Ciryamo "the mariner's wife"; cf. ciryamo "mariner".) Infrequently the genitive carries the meaning "from", cf. Oiolossëo "from Mount Everwhite, from Oiolossë" in Namárië - but this is usually expressed by means of the ablative case instead (see below). The plural genitive ending is -on, that may be observed in the title Silmarillion, "of the Silmarils", the complete phrase being Quenta Silmarillion, "(the) Story of (the) Silmarils". An example from Namárië is rámar aldaron, "wings of trees", a poetic circumlocution for leaves. The ending -on is added, not to the simplest form of the noun, but to the nominative plural. So though "tree" is alda, "of trees" is not **aldon, but aldaron because the nominative plural "trees" is aldar. Cf. also Silmaril, plural Silmarilli, genitive Silmarillion. (The doubling of the final l of Silmaril before an ending is an example of stem variation; some stems change slightly when an ending is added, often reflecting an older form of the noun.)

http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/

Hope this helps explain things more for you!

Namarie : LadyMeg

Telcontar
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 24, 2003 01:13
Obviously, I've mispresented the question. If it were any Quenya word I would use the ending "o", but I'm using un-Quenya words (hence the title), and they look goofy with just adding an "o". Anchises is actually one of the better looking words, but I've go a few that aren't as pretty.
Malinornë
FAQ Admin, Quenya Moderator & Eldameldë
Send Message
on: November 25, 2003 01:09
Telcontar, may I just ask what kind of "of" is it that you're looking for? Is it "the book of the man" (ownership) or "the man of Gondor" (origin)?
Telcontar
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 26, 2003 08:53
"the man of Gondor" (origin)?

That one.
Meldon
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 29, 2003 01:21
Would it fit to use the ablative ending -llo??

Meldon
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email