Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
Post Quote of the week - Nov 30/2003 (3.IV.)
on: November 30, 2003 04:29
From TTT, Chapter IV-Treebeard
'Please Treebeard', he said, could I ask you something/ why did Celeborn warn us against your forest? He told us not to risk getting entangled in it.'
'Hmmm, did he now ?', rumbled Treebeard. ' and I might have said much the same, if you had been going the other way. ..."

note that next week's quote will also be from this chapter - for that, and in fact for any quote of the week, we'd love to hear suggestions from the members

[Edited on 30/11/2003 by PotbellyHairyfoot]

[Edited on 28/1/2004 by Figwit]
Nienna-of-the-Valar
Loremaster of the Edain
Send Message
Post RE: Quote of the week - Nov 30/2003 (3.IV.)
on: November 30, 2003 05:00
This quote makes me think about rumors and how they are very often untrue or exaggerations of the truth...and that you have to trust your own judgment at all times and not necessarily the whisperings of someone else.
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
on: December 01, 2003 12:42
It makes me think more of how lucky these two got: Fangorn ís an awful place, and Treebeard himself admits that the trees are wild and have black hearts, that they're filled with hatred.
I think it says something about how all these events fall into place, it's like fate's little jigsaw puzzle and every piece has to fit right into it for it to end the way it must end - I'm thinking ahead now, of course, but the theme of fate is very important in Tolkien's works I think.
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: December 02, 2003 06:03
I also look at it as showing how the relationship between the elves and the Ents has deteriorated over the years.
Both peoples now only know of the other's lands through rumours and the stories from travellers , generally only hearing about dangers.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email