Register

Author Topic:
Camannar
Council Member
Send Message
Post Quenya Lesson Enhancers
on: December 06, 2003 11:06
Aiya fellow Quenya :drool: students

I thought I would start this (again, I dont know if this has been done before) because the Sindarin section has them and I think it could benefit the newbies and some others *cough*myself*cough* .

How to learn the vocab from the lessons? :dizzy:

I use an advanced and very modern concept of flash cards.

With these I just have the Quenya word on one side of the card and the English word on the other. Then every lesson you do you can add the new words to your deck of flash cards. Not only can you practise translating from Quenya to English, but you can do it from English to Quenya also.

Then if you want to get really technical, you could get a piece of paper and with each card you draw out of the deck you could write the Quenya-English translation as well as the Quenya-plural dual form or the tenses or whatever! I think its a great idea, and you can review the vocab at any time you want!

Cam~
Eruantalincë
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Post RE: Quenya Lesson Enhancers
on: December 06, 2003 11:21
That's a nice one. I am trying to make myself a digital form of flashcards. But it is not working out quite good, yet:cry:. Still, I keep on going.
Camannar
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 08, 2003 02:36
Aiya

Digital flashcards would be great, I find that with normal flash card you can still have the urge to cheat yourself by turning it over quickly or something like that. Oh well. Thye are great for vocab, digital or no.

Gildor-Inglorion mentioned that when learning an Elvish language you should use as much elvish as you can in daily life (i.e. call your mother 'Amil' and the moon 'Isil' etc).

Translate things. Poetry, friends names, articles, anything that will give you a chance to help this stuff stick. The truth of the matter is, the more you use it the more is stays.
- Gildor-Inglorion

I think this is a great idea because it can plant the vocab into your brain, and once you have the vocab down pat, you can start refering to things in plural, then you can use verbs and put them in past tense and stuff like that. Just a thought

Cam~
jenise
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 13, 2003 07:20
Aiya Cam,

I use flash cards myself. I take them with me everywhere. So if I get stuck in line someplace, out come the flash cards. My friends think I am nuts, but this is how I learned my German and Spanish vocab when I was in high school.....so whatta they know. LOL

Níthiel
Eruantalincë
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 13, 2003 02:04
Forgot something: I keep on repeating and rewriting the vocabulary used in the lessons. And the Quenya words, I write in Tengwar as well, so I can learn that too.
Malinornë
FAQ Admin, Quenya Moderator & Eldameldë
Send Message
on: December 30, 2003 03:42
That's a nice one. I am trying to make myself a digital form of flashcards. But it is not working out quite good, yet:cry:. Still, I keep on going.

My mother's husband has made a small computer program for vocabulary training, perhaps it could be of interest to you? It is not cool or sophisticated or anything, but it does help a lot IMHO. I got it just days ago and need to translate it before sharing it, but let me know if you're interested. So far, I've only made a vocab list for the words used in the CoE Quenya workbook, but my goal is to include as many words as possible, of course.
Eruantalincë
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 30, 2003 03:51
Mal, that would be great!
>> Hugs Mal:love:<<
I am very interested in such a program. I will send you a pm with my email address (well, if the program isn't more than 5 mb).
Malinornë
Send Message
on: December 30, 2003 04:18
It's really small, under 400 kb. But you'll have to wait until I finish translating it... unless you understand Swedish...LOL!
fishi
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 30, 2003 05:14
quia.com has a lot of nifty stuff in this regard. My latin teacher has a few exercises there and it's quite useful. I made up a set of exercises from the Chapter One vocab here: http://www.quia.com/jg/421554.html

It'll probably be dead when my trial runs out, but oh well
Eruantalincë
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 30, 2003 06:28
Hantale Fishi,
the link you provided looked very nice.
Eruantalincë
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 30, 2003 06:30
It's really small, under 400 kb. But you'll have to wait until I finish translating it... unless you understand Swedish...LOL!
:cry: I am sorry, but my knowledge of Swedish doesn't go much further than 'knackebröd' (well, written different). And I am not sure if that is Swedish.
Camannar
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 30, 2003 02:45
Aiya

Thats a really good website fishi, great for people on Lesson one or two.

Camannar
Calliandra
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 30, 2003 03:53
Thanks fishi! Those flashcards really helped!
Malinornë
Send Message
on: January 01, 2004 05:31
quia.com has a lot of nifty stuff in this regard. My latin teacher has a few exercises there and it's quite useful. I made up a set of exercises from the Chapter One vocab here: http://www.quia.com/jg/421554.html

It'll probably be dead when my trial runs out, but oh well

Wow, fishi, that was very useful! Thanks! I just hope lots of people will use them for as long as they'll stay up! And you're studying Latin too... makes me envy you!
Eruantalincë
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 13, 2004 02:42
Aiya ilquen.
I found a very nice little freeware flashcard program here:
http://www.memorylifter.com/download/program.html
I have downloaded it and currently I am working my way through the wordlist dutch-quenya. You can make your own flashcards and create your own wordlists with soundfiles. It works very well and has a graphic interface.
Mal, it is (I think) in function quite similar to your flashcard-program, only in a windows-interface.

[Edited on 14/1/2004 by Eruantalincë]
Malinornë
Send Message
on: January 13, 2004 11:17
Janet, a flashcard program with a graphic interface sounds very good! Much easier to use than mine...
Camannar
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 14, 2004 11:01
Yeah, I agree with Mal. The flashcard program is awesome, downloaded it yesterday, got all of my vocab on there. I like that it shows you what percentage you got right, that sort of helps, in my oppinion, with knowing how well you are going. Its a must have for Quenya Students

Camannar
Eruantalincë
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 20, 2004 03:01
Aiya ilquen,

To whom is interested in a freeware voice chat program: >>here<< is a freeware program to download which easies internet telephony. This can help study buddies to practise their pronouncation. Telephone conferencing is not possible yet.
Minimum requirements: MS Windows 2000/XP, a good sound card and headset (I thought there is a version for Linux too).
It works like an IM-program: you have to use a nickname and others have to ask to be added to your contact list. You can block people, you can set your status and so on. The costs depend on your own internet-connection, no extra telephone costs. Keep in mind that sending streaming sound through internet takes a quite good processor (or a little patience).
This is *no* spam, it is just a very useful tool

[Edited on 20/1/2004 by Eruantalincë]
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email